Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't think you can screw yourself. I think having a high stat and a low stat makes for a better roleplaying mentality at the outset.

trying to be terse so I don't give anything about this game away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It owns. Your character is a human who might subscribe to beliefs, but he doesn't embody those beliefs.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm starting up an apocalypse/superstar (I don't remember how well it handles hybrid copotypes, I was a capital-S Sorry Cop my first time), honorable communist with 4/4/2/2, but Shivers tagged because I had to. So the archetypical adventure game protagonist.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
This game is good!!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

No Mods No Masters posted:

I get it to an extent, but you could make the same kind of argument for most other skills yet the game won't punish you in the same way. In another way I like it in a way because I kind of went into final cut with the theory that motorics was a dump stat if there were any, but the lack of perception is particularly, appropriately rough

I think there are some similar points where unrelated skills gate other skills.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The brief callback to the square bullet hole case blew my mind too. It's a very good, fun, and funny game.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I've gotta agree pretty strongly with just sticking it out and accepting the failures. So you can't examine the body immediately, so what. It becomes an integral part of your investigation's story. I can vividly recall the struggles of not getting the body down until the third day, and everything turned out just fine.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Ciaphas posted:

I get your point and agree with it but, well, the word "just" implies that it's easy to accept failure, and in my case it's not - even when it's clear the consequences are either nonexistent or ultimately positive (or at least funny). Psychology thing. :shrug:

(now that i say that maybe this game qualifies as exposure therapy :thunk:)

I can't say the flow works out for everyone, because I've only done one full playthrough, but when I hit a wall in one area I could always make progress in the one next door. When in doubt, consult Kim, and he usually will say something that gives you permission to check out somewhere else until you can get a skill point or whatever.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You should really leave all the preplanning to a second playthrough and just wing it your first time around. Follow your heart.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Those are the best stat lines, do it

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't think a single character makes it through the game without proferring an incorrect theory, skills and paranatural intuition included. It's cool that even the most strident skills at the most assured times (e.g. volition at the end of the Ordeal) have blindspots. Like in a bioware rpg or whatever, the Godly skill check success would serve you up the optimal quest solution, but in this game you have to scrutinize even the triumphant epiphanies you have.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I've turned Egghead into an ultra liberal and a communist, but I really do want to know what Hardcore centrism is like. I bet it's amazing.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Just think of it as, um, contributing to the atmosphere and tension

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That's so you get the dope low-volume whirling in rags theme from upstairs and then when you first descend into the wild world of disco elysium the theme fully kicks in and takes you away.

No I don't think that's the real reason, but that was a cool moment. Same with stepping into the streets and hearing the martinaise theme.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That idea never dawned on me. Pretty cool.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You guys might like Nier Automata!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Phobophilia posted:

Question to people who have finished the game multiple times: are there two different outcomes to meeting the phasmid in the ending and using Inland Empire? My interaction using was beautifully haunting, here I was conversing(?) with a strange alien creature, innocent of all the madness of civilized Innosentric society, interrogating our meanings of our shared evolutions. If its pheromones set the Deserter over the edge, it was an accident of biology. And it is a tragedy that we shall all share the same fate under the weight of the Pale.

But from what I can tell, other people describe a phasmid that is cruel and nihilistic, who deliberately drove the Deserter mad. Is there a trigger for these two outcomes?

In case you asked, I took a double dose.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. That would be a cool thing to happen, but I've only heard people refer to the experience you had.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
DE being a product of PnP gaming makes me believe even more that a wacky ironic reading is possible for it. This game doesn't shy away from any level of profundity or profanity, and the vibes all unite for me.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Are you sure you died? You got to the newspaper game over screen? Because there's kind of a fakeout moment around that part.

Edit: I did not refresh the recent replies

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Cyberpunk 2077 can't sniff one hundredth of Disco Elysium's poo poo. CDPR, and its army of underpaid writers, wish they released something with anything to say that mattered as much as a single scene in Disco.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Wafflecopper posted:

Just finished this and... it was alright I guess? The writing wasn't terrible but lacked DE's emotional weight, interesting characters, humour, and any social commentary beyond "giant corporations are exploitative." Not sure I'd class the soundtrack as a "banger" either, it was just sort of there, ambient and inoffensive. I may be wrong but I don't think choices you make during the game have much impact on the outcome, mostly it comes down to which ending you pick. Maybe you can rule some of them out if you don't help some people earlier but as far as I can tell that's it. I got 8 hours out of it, saw most of the endings by just reloading and picking a different path at the end. I don't see any reason to replay. If you're really into Disco's whole interactive novel thing and want more of the same even if it's not as good I'd recommend it, otherwise it's pretty missable.

Disco is just too good. Try nier automata if you want something as classy and cool and effortlessly brilliant

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Gaston does NOT hate Rene

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I love klassje.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kEKma_MeRA

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Volition was wrong about shivers. It never steers you wrong.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
So in conclusion, researching and thinking about politically fraught or illicit subjects does get you some sideways glances, even if you come out with the correct position.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Drama is needed too sire

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Alchenar posted:

She feels bad enough about the situtation that she has shown up personally to try to unfuck it.

That's so nice and endearing of her! That makes up for everything!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Propaganda Machine posted:

On playthrough 2:

I missed the abandoned church anodic rave the first time and this time I am determined to get it but I keep on failing Soona's white check for the headphones. Sadly, I've hit my maximum level for perception. Is there any way to raise it? :ohdear:

Col Do Ma Ma Daqua

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That guy was Deus Ex as gently caress. There should have been more randoms like that. "It's all about the money, man"

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
As amazing and deep and well thought out as the DE world was, maybe it's better that we only got this one crystallized version of it (and maybe a cash-in sequel and tv show? sigh). I'm pretty sure Kurvitz can whip up another idea worthy of his team's efforts, given another 5 years or so.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Eiba posted:

I'm going to spoiler tag all this for folks going through the game for the first time. It's all endgame stuff.

For me the overwhelming beauty of that scene came because I had, in my brain, completely given up on the cryptid, but spitefully went through the motions of hope anyway because I cared about the people involved.

The cryptid subplot was presented as an absurd waste of time busy work side quest. That's gonna be the best kind of quest in a game like this, so I was all in from the start, especially since Lena was so nice to me right from the start, when I had only the barest conception of the world (and an embarrassing need for money).

The best trick was that there was actually a really solid and conclusive ending to that quest. After running around, meeting and talking to everyone involved, you can eventually find out that Lena doesn't fully believe what she saw. It's so fundamental to her relationship though that she's really anxious. Everything becomes thematically clear: like communism, even if it never existed, what's really important is what they built together. The truth isn't important, love is.

I thought this was a really touching and meaningful message. I decided it wasn't important if the cryptid was materially real, because it was so obviously emotionally real. I had them spray me with pheromones and checked all the traps again and never bathed, not to find the cryptid that I couldn't really believe in, but because I believed in Lena's love.

And then that plot was over and it was time to deal with the murder at last. And it turned out the murder was about communism, women, lost ideals. A great finale to the game. A melancholy reflection on personal connections in a fallen world.

Except then, out of nowhere, the Insulindian Phasmid is right there. Honestly, my first reaction was to think I had finally lost it. There were even dialog options implying I had realized I finally lost it. But there was an option to ask Kim.

When Kim said he saw it too- that's the moment I broke down. I was not at all emotionally prepared.

I was completely blindsided by the beauty of the Phasmid's words. Just the fact of it changed everything. And it spoke of hope and humanity. It was one of the most moving things I ever experienced.

That all is to say, I would personally not tell new players to keep the pheromones on. If I had been told that I would be waiting for a payoff. The experience I had was as overwhelming as it was because I had convinced myself it wasn't going to happen. I got to experience the impossible.

Everyone will have a different experience, and I get the feeling of not wanting someone else to miss out, but this game has just gotta be experienced in its own terms.

Yeah, the most advice I would give to a new player who wants it would be "have an open mind" so your preconceived cynical notions about games don't cloud your judgment.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
What the gently caress

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So, I legit can't tell if my character is crazy right now....or if I'm seeing "beyond the veil" sorta thing going on. Like....I am just loving the voice acting, the way you interact with things and just some crazy WTF poo poo is going on in even just the opening hour of me playing. If i should post that stuff w/ spoiler tags please let me know and I will.

I can't recall the last time I played a game that made me geniuenly laugh out loud at things and take pics to send to friends because it realls feels so drat fresh and fun

I like my cop buddy. I love the name my character picked and I will not NOT call myself that every chance I get

I definitely remember taking screenshots of some of the early choice lines and sending them around.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Alctel posted:

I literally have never heard of these

They had a great idea back in the day, but the money men hosed them over. It would have been world-changing.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The game is made all the better by not knowing what to expect. Just have an open mind and make regular saves, if you don't want to just use autosaves.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The way that your political neuroses, whatever the flavor, could all be linked back to your previous personal life and addictions was cool too.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Omg he was rude :(

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't care about the company and i love the game and my opinion actually won't affect a single thing. I hope they get their IP and the company burns.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Lol. This is why we give them the 5 paragraphs of tips people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
So complicated. I wish we had all the details.