Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

there’s gotta be so much more to the story than we know.

https://twitter.com/uzionmain/status/1576660152736157696?s=46&t=pNz6-sUIDT3amS0EQSpV9Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

does “sensitive matter handled internally” automatically indicate it was sexual harassment in the gaming world and I just don’t know that because I’m not particularly familiar with the industry? it can be read as all kinds of stuff to me, like weird power struggles or other bizarre issues.

This is the first time I’ve paid any attention to studio goings-on because Disco is the first new game I’ve played and cared about in years; my previous gaming experience has just been with WoW (which I fell out of ages ago) and the Final Fantasy VII remake.

But uh, actual content-
I’m replaying Disco for a 5th time and doing tasks and character interactions in a completely different order than before with a heavy focus on electrochemistry. It’s wild how a build where nearly all of my skill points are in PHY make so many interactions completely different than the INT-focused runs I’ve done previously.

This thread is really long so I’ve not read the whole thing, but have any of y’all done runs where you try to max out every skill in one specific attribute section? does it make the game way harder later on or simply more chaotic and hilarious?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Blankspace posted:

instead of trying to Nancy Drew together a mind map of annoying Twitter posts I think I'm just going to side with the group of people who were ousted from the company they helped create unless something concrete comes out in the future.

hm, good call.

Oh man, just realized I’m about to come up on the “turn the church into a nightclub” part of the story, looking forward to how weird it’ll get with my electrochemistry jacked to the gills

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

:negative:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

my current run with all points in electrochemistry, savior faire, inland (can’t travel around without my BFF necktie! obviously) has been an absolute hoot. Full-on degen Harry is a delight.

Also feels like I’m getting more Shivers passives than when I pumped up those stats last time? It’s been interesting for sure.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

my run with points only in physique and motorics and the ultraliberal quest continues to be absurd in the best way. Filled up my thought cabinet to get secondary PSY and INT points, but this has been ridiculous. (Ok, I did put one point into inland and esprit de corps but that’s it)

Highly recommended if anyone wants to try it.

I’ve never fully filled the thought cabinet before, and it rules.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

successfully made it into the shipping container and uhhhh

failing the conceptualization check with the mega rich guy and trying to sell him on a RPG and him saying “yeah been there funded that the creators are failures” hits REAL DIFFERENT THIS WEEK

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Doing all the tasks out of order is cool too; gonna have different reactions to things depending on what you’ve already seen and some checks will either be way easier or way harder.

Every little side quest and story is fun and worthwhile. I wish I was playing it again for the first time; I’m not really a “complete everything” kind of gamer so I missed out on so much my first time.

There will be a questline relating to a church; the payoff is worth all the running around.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

did a dramatic reading of the full Actual Art Degree “problem/solution” text for a buddy at the bar last night who is a professional artist and she was absolutely howling with delight and horror the whole time.

For those who haven’t read the whole thing-

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

going bugfuck on my perception stats as well as being on speed the whole time let me ~perceive~ a hidden clothing item that made it SO WORTH IT

going through the whole final scene with the other cops wearing nothing but that little leopard skin onesie was an absolute hoot

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Tiny, what’s your build? like, are you spreading your skill points pretty evenly or are you leaning really hard into one specifically?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Nice thing about this game is that every build is a quality one

hell yeah, that’s why I’ve leaned into specific stuff with each different run.

recently started seeing someone and they were trying to sell me on Elden Ring and I managed to get them to buy DE instead. double whammy of 1) saving loads of time and 2) easy litmus test on what he’s interested in.

the fact that he immediately went “Kim must be protected at all costs” is a good sign.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ok so the guy I've been chatting with is asking me for help about how to get through the game but I don't want to spoil stuff for him so it's SO HARD.

Been trying to just give incredibly vague advice so he can find his own path but the only specifics I've told him are that failing checks isn't the end of the world and is just a detour to finding a different solution, keep the tie on and then after he met Morrell to not shower.

Even just giving super vague hints on gameplay makes me feel like I'm cheating him out of experiencing cool poo poo somehow.

He's asked a couple times if he's missed anything fun and I've just had to poker face it and go "eh, it's not the kind of game you ever get 100% on" while internally wailing in dismay at how he's missed out on absurd poo poo like hiding the body in the bear fridge then stealing the boots in the middle of the night deal.

He's loving the writing and whole experience so at least there's that. Getting other people into this game has been a delight but it's also kinda maddening that there are so many ways it can go that any discussion about stuff just feels like one big spoiler.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Nordick posted:

I've played the game three times and I have never stolen the boots. :shrug: I don't think you should sweat over individual things like that.

it’s just so many things that totally tickle me about the game that I want him to see that makes it hard!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Conceptualization

wrestling is art

(not sure who to credit this to but I’m still laughing at it days later)

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Caufman posted:

I don't think it can, not from my last look through the Disco Reader.

does Disco Reader not work well on mobile? I’m trying to figure out how to find the exact quotes from Harry threatening to shoot himself while having a temper tantrum in front of Titus and demanding respect

Or if there’s a place with looooads of screenshots?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Caufman posted:

I think I tried using Disco Reader once on my phone, and it wasn't great, unfortunately. I think there's another thing like Disco Reader that adds the voices from the Final Cut, but I don't imagine that's going to be any more mobile-friendly than Disco Reader. Maybe, though.

For that particular conversation, it's Conversation ID 1219, starting at node 225 with "Kim, I need your gun."

Thank you!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Kim basically saying “are you loving kidding me you’re a total amnesiac but you remember “KIMBALL” which is an insulting name what the HELL” was a hoot

I loaned a buddy my PS4 and got her playing it; she’s leaning into the full fash playthrough because I refused to and she’s been cackling with absolutely delighted horror the entire time. “The writers hate these racist dipshits! this rules! they’re insulting Harry at literally every turn!”

the only spoiler I gave her (she asked for a few of them but I kept mum) was the wompty-domp-whatever thought because of all the XP and cash it throws your way and the reason I did that is so she can get as many skill points as possible to really go ham with it. I’ve refused to tell her anything else.

It almost feels like I’m playing it again because of her constant reactions to stuff and it’s so drat fun.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

look if I ever met good ol’ Tequila Sunset I’d pretend I didn’t know him either

e:
sent the buddy who introduced me to DE a screenshot of folks talking about Kim’s crank and his response was “
“I *have* been wanting to learn a visual novel engine... 👀”

will report back with progress should there be any

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

itching to do another playthrough but the buddy I share custody of the PS4 with has it for another week, booo

what are some people’s favorite signature skills? I want to try something totally different this time.

I’ve done Shivers, Inland, Esprit, and Physical Instrument so far.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pierson posted:

I don't suppose there is a list of day-1-findable healing items by any chance? I finally did it; lost track of my health vs healing and now The Chair is killing my rear end dead.

the most unexpected boss battle in gaming history

I’m glad I figured out the hobocop/yellow bag combo pretty quickly so I could stock up on healing items so I wasn’t worried about saying the stupidest stuff that would potentially lead to lost morale

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

is it possible to hack a max stat run on a PS4 or MacBook?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

KORNOLOGY posted:

Dora is not a good person, Harry let it go and move on.

she’s middle class so it’s obvy time to get on with your life, Harry.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

KORNOLOGY posted:

As time goes on, I start to see Harry doesn't actually like her. Otherwise, why dream of her as an extremely distant and hurtful person?

because he hates himself and feels that it’s what he actually deserves

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Doing a fresh run with pumped-up encyclopedia and visual calculus and running way out of order than previously. I started with the doomed commercial area, haven’t spoken to Joyce, Klassjie or Cuno, and got hobocop immediately for extra cash but my tie isn’t being my friend

Haven’t even looked at the body.

And holy gently caress it’s near-impossible to get skill points.

What’s bumming me out the most is the tie and that the fence visual hasn’t popped AT ALL WHAT THE HELL

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

inside the shipping container; the visuals are A+ and the whole experience is so absurd. especially with Kim being Kim and just going “Christ, this poo poo again?”

alternate option: next to Cuno.
because Cuno doesn’t loving care and I love that for him.

on yet another replay and while talking to Joyce I got caught in a loop and repeated that whole interaction 4 times. it somehow got even funnier each time, kind of like how you can watch a comedy multiple times and each time notice how different background characters react when it somehow didn’t hit before.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 26, 2023

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

hell yes, talked my boyfriend into playing.

introduced him to Cuno and then showed the “you try to badger Kim into telling you about himself but his eyebrow has too much authority and you crumble before it” exchange and he was like “hm that’s pretty funny”

then the REAL sell (which seems to work on drat near anyone) was “also you can die in literally your first action” and he was in.

bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://youtu.be/OkXG9cyZlpo?si=kwH1Qmj-s0n-w1DY