Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was incredibly worried this game wouldn't be as magical the second time through but it sunk its hooks right back in as soon as I started playing today.

I really, really hope this update gets new folks to give it a go because it is as perfect a game as we're likely to see for years

Yeah I went and spin kicked measurehead with my massive communist then knocked myself out trying to punch cuno still goty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

macabresca posted:

How many skills can you max out? I've noticed you can use xp to remove thoughts and some other things like that, does it require careful planning or do you get enough xp for all your needs?

I'm having a major choice paralysis and I'm only on lvl 3...

there are thoughts that shower you with xp

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Half light got me murdered by the hardie boys last night, thanks half light! :thumbsup:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It is no coincidence that when Harry dreams of his wife, he dreams of Dolores Dei. In essence, they are the same thing. Dolores is the embodiment of Moralism, the worship of the status quo. To the moralist, everything anomalous seems...insignificant. Communist uprising? No biggy. Orphans playing with corpses in the street? That's just the way it is. The gods are in their heavens. Everything is as it should be.

But this faith in the status quo is vanishing fast. The old church is empty. Where there was once worship of moralism, now there is nothing; a tear the fabric of the reality. And that's kind of the point. Just like Harry can't fix his relationship with his ex-wife, nobody can repair the damage that moralism has suffered. Nobody believes that the status quo is tenable. The world is teetering on the edge of war, and nothing will ever be the same.

Maybe the revolution will succeed. Maybe you can fill the church with music. Maybe you can convince the moralists to dance hardcore. Maybe not.

But moralism is as dead as disco.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, this Contact Mike running joke might possibly be my favorite thing in the game so far. It's right up there with lovingly describing a sandwich just to tell the person "No one will ever be able to make that sandwich" and stare longingly out to sea.

i made the 3% red check to steal the sandwich, then couldn't go through with it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gorn Myson posted:

Read every page of the Disco Elysium threads from way back when they started, and this deserves to be in the HoF of their posts.

agreed, it's really really good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Epic High Five posted:

Coward, that sandwich has been my white whale across 3 playthroughs. When it comes out on Switch I'm literally building my detective around getting it

i confess i cheated and watched the scene you get out of it and it's great

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

EorayMel posted:

Madre di dios *makes sign of the cross* A LIBERAL!!!

Totally would

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Anyone feel like the voice acting isn’t that impressive? I wanted new areas and a continuation of the story.

Some is a little ropey, some is amazing (joyce, the dice maker) the vast majority is very good. It slows things down a bit but it's nice relaxing into your brains velvet baritone

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noxville posted:

I attached mine to the post so not really as easy. What image hosting is easiest to use now that imgur has become an enormous pain in the arse? I’ll do that in future.

Imgur is fine? What's wrong with it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Night Road is an excellent cyoa if she doesn't mind vampires.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Imhotep posted:

I don’t know, I played KRZ after disco elysium, in part because people compared it favorably to Disco Elysium, and it’s much different, there’s even less text and it’s even more slowly paced. I enjoyed it, but i much prefer Disco Elysium, although if you liked Inland Empire, the skill, it’s probably the closest thing out there to a Twin Peaks/Lynch video game.

yeah i thought each instalment of krz had at least one legitimately transcendant moment, but it's nowhere near as good as a whole package because for krz doing art is the whole point, for de that's just one thing you can do. worth playing, but temper your expectations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

After reading countless glowing reviews and watching countless video singing this games praises i finally grabbed it while it was on sale....i didn't make it more than 10 minutes. The game did not match anything i had heard about it and i found it to be unbelievably pretentious and weird for the sake of being weird. It had that...excessively Japanese style to it that made it way too weird to immerse myself in and i immediately lost all interest and requested a refund.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dmboogie posted:

so whats the coptype that cant recognize unsourced quotes because i guess thats everyone in the thread now

lol (it's a steam review)

Epic High Five posted:

Inability to wrest a sandwich from a retiree after you wreck his game he's playing is one of the defining characteristics of the Japanese game style

:hai:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sit on my Jace posted:

There's a glitch to get max stats without save-editing, for those who don't want to poke around with that - if you use a controller to open the pause menu and go to the title menu during character creation, the next time you open character creation it'll glitch out and load debug character stats at random, one of which has maxed stats. It's sort of a pain to do over and over again though, and thankfully it isn't counted in speedrun timing anymore.

You are cumshitter and I claim my $5

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:eyepop:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

e-dt posted:

You're getting a lot of insights from your mental skills because they're at high levels, and your physical skills aren't talking much because they're at low levels. So don't be dissuaded from putting points in physical skills because you think they don't have much use - but also don't be dissuaded from putting points in mental skills because they're already high. Just spend your points how you want to, or according to how you think your character would prioritise the skills, or etc.

it's wise and only a little gamey to save a couple of points for when you want to retry a roll.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Organic Lube User posted:

Just had the switch version crash after not saving my game for like an hour, whoopsie.

I'm playing this like it's the game from The Last Starfighter and if I play the perfect communard, the posadist aliens will recruit me into their space navy.

that does sort of happen but in slightly different circumstances

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

christmas boots posted:

You have to be a moralist to be abducted by a UFO though

did i stutter?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

Oh no...oh no...oh no...I just got a game writing gig but...

Desire to know more intensifying

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SilkyP posted:

Mieville never topped Perdido Street Station imo

I hated that book so, so much

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I wouldn't even say it's a bad book, I just hated it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

macabresca posted:

lol. Well, technically yes, but in a sense of booking a hotel room for example.

Lmaooo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

minya posted:

I’ve beaten this game twice and had an absolute blast each time but never done any of the ‘spirit quests’. I chicken out before committing to any specific ideology, which I guess is an ideology unto itself.

From skimming thru spoiler text on the past couple pages, am I missing out on major plot points in the game? Sounds like it’s a must-do for my next play through?

i've never done them but by all accounts they're great, so you're missing out on that - and it's less plot than aspects of the world being revealed?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah just say I don't want to see this kind of thing, it works fine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Finished the game today. Lot of general full game thoughts below that I’m sure are no way unique to me.

Overall I would say I loved it and that it was like only one other game I’ve played, silent hill: shattered memories. Also a great game with really tedious gameplay. The quality of writing was so, so great. I kept finding myself doing screenshot after screenshot after screenshot and I am definitely gonna give it another playthrough after a break.

I would say that the ending was a little disappointing to me. Not the island stuff, I thought that was good. But I hated the wrap up at the end. I liked Kim reviewing my behavior and giving his opinion of my work but I thought it was overall a weird and clumsy scene after what had been a masterful display of writing. I’m glad that Harry and Kim didn’t die.

I liked how there were loose ends that just weren’t going to get any clarification based on my choices. I didn’t do the cryptozoology quest beyond talking to Lena about her experience so it was a startling but cool moment when the stickbug showed up. I liked the plot device of the deserter as well, kind of like a sadder and more gone version of Harry.

I put the most juice into Communism but didn’t really lean into the political stuff with Harry. I thought all the political history and world building in general was extremely cool. Managed to get all but two of the Hardies killed at the tribunal, arrested klassje and let ruby dip. I have never been more upset with Harry than when I missed with the tie Molotov. Sorry bratan, it was a fiasco.

The dream of Dora was rough, the phone call scene was worse though. Very glad I triggered that when Kim was not around. I am thankful that my friend Evrart helped me find my gun.

Half Light is probably my favorite of the peanut gallery. I appreciated suggestion apologizing for its fuckups. Think I am going to go through next time and just go crazy on all the ones I didn’t pump points into this time.

Did the stickbug talk to you?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bismack Billabongo posted:

No. Kim took a blurry rear end picture of it and I got praised during the ending for finding it though

the entire thread just took a sharp breath, then shook its head while exhaling slowly

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

(if you have the slightest desire to play it again, absolutely follow all the cryptid stuff and pump your shivers and inland empire)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

midnight lasagna posted:

Mr. Bezos is helping me fund my show.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nordick posted:

Thread title pls

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Evrarte is one of my favorite characters, but you can't really understand him without juxtaposing him with Joyce.

Joyce is a compassionate, well-spoken, upright citizen. She feels for the people of Revachol, she really does. And yet, her legion of professional baby killers are ready to do to Revachol what they've done in so many places because that is what she is: a billionaire. She cannot exist without spreading endless suffering because that is what billionaires do, that is how they exist - they turn human suffering into profit. She's like a vampire that feels really bad about how monstrous she is, and yet she'll wipe the blood of her mouth and feed again tomorrow.

At his core, Evrarte is a caricature. He is the embodiment of every negative thing you've ever heard about unions: dishonest, sleazy, violent, and absolutely criminal. He's killed to obtain power, deals drugs to fund the strike, and employs virulent racists. And yet, all the poo poo he does improves the lives of the people of Revachol. He is the dishonest, sleazy, violent, vampire hunter.

Good post

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, also she probably going to hate it given you crowbarred her into playing it, and she seems to have zero interest in playing games.

Its a terrible giant wall of text, I wouldn't say any of that apart from maybe you're playing a giant fuckup, embrace it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Cannot imagine how obnoxious getting into this game now must be if you make the mistake of telling anyone

quote:

After a great deal of coaxing I managed to get my sister-in-law, who I really like but who has never played any video game aside from Tetris, to play this game. I gave her some information before she starts as follows
quote:

quote:

A few tips that I strongly recommend once you start playing disco elysium:

-when you start, you’re given a choice of how many points you want to put into your basic stats, out of four. The fundamentals of your personality. Since you don’t have a lot of experience I recommend 4/4/2/2. Smart and empathetic, but maybe not the strongest or most dexterous. There are benefits to choosing otherwise, but this is the most straightforward and easiest of the character setups.
-Don’t be afraid to fail a skill check. There is almost always another way around if you fail, and the vast majority of the time you will be able to retry later. sometimes “succeeding” a check gives an objectively worse outcome than failing. And some of the best and most memorable moments of this game only come about by failing, rather than succeeding. Giving a cold girl a hat and demanding a bite of a sandwich are the best examples of this.
-Don’t be afraid to say the nuttiest poo poo possible. The people of martinase are shockingly adept at rolling with your insanity and sometimes you might even be able to get extra information or resources from someone that they wouldn’t otherwise give by saying or doing something crazy enough that it that throws them off balance. The only person who won’t put up with you acting like a complete nut job is in the last hour or so of the game.
-Time *only* progresses as you speak to people or examine objects you’re holding. Don’t be afraid to wander around and take as much time as you like. Even if someone is pointing a gun at your head and threatening to pull the trigger you can talk, examine your environment and think as much as you like. Actual, serious events occur as you make them. This is *especially* important in the game’s most violent climax.
-Kim will defend and support you almost no matter what. He is your keystone. Do not try to anger or disappoint him. Unless your want to because it’ll be funny (it can be very funny).
-“Thoughts” are this game’s version of specialized skills. You receive the initial thought through dialogue or actions, and you assign it to a thought slot. (You can increase your number of slots with each level if you like) and with a certain amount of time it will manifest. Maybe it will give benefits, maybe it will give you unique choices or opportunities you wouldn’t have otherwise, or maybe it will give nothing but flaws. There’s no way of knowing until you assign it to a slot and work until you complete it. I strongly recommend against going online and looking at a guide because the uncertainty and almost randomness are what makes this game so incredible. If you assign a thought and complete it, and then remove it, it’s gone permanently and you cannot get it back on that playthrough.
-you have two sets of stats that will take damage or heal as you work, Health and morale. Health’s maximum increases by boosting your endurance stat, morale by increasing your volition stat. Both are important, and both will kill you if you let them fall to zero. But there are drugs that will let you recharge them, even if you take a hit, physical or emotional, that would have killed you. Money is scarce in the game but if you don’t have something else you definitely want to but it never hurts to stock up on those healing items. Having 2-4 of both on hand will be a life saver. Even in the most difficult parts of the game. Either way, you definitely will not need more than 5/10 in either skill, unless you want to make nothing but bad decisions and suffer the consequences which, again, you can do if you’re so inclined.
-The man you’re playing the game as is hosed Up. And if you choose certain dialogue options your own brain (and the game) will force you to do or say reprehensible things. Do not confuse depiction with endorsement. Just because your character is an emotionally traumatized substance abuser does not mean the people who wrote and developed the game agree with what he does or says. Horrible misogyny, racism, sexism, and outright facism will come about if you choose certain dialogue choices. You can choose to make The Detective a better man than he once was, or hell, lean into it even further if you think it’ll be funny or entertaining. Either way it is possible to complete the game as a sad man who is trying to be better than the person he was before or as a guy who is certain that the apocalypse is coming and is it’s harbinger, or as a big shot big dick charismatic wonder, or as the most meth smoking racist piece of poo poo you can imagine. Your choice.
-Cuno might seem like an obnoxious little poo poo, but he has depths to him, and it is significant that you explore those depths. Noti to solving the murder, but as a character exploration.

A list of things I recommend you do, without spoilers. These will make sense as you reach them:
-Point the gun at Cunoesse, but do not fire. It will tell you drat near everything you need to know about her.
-Kim has a secret that will influence how you view him, but the only way to see or understand that secret is if you talk extensively with a handsome man on a balcony, complete the thought he gives you, and then speak with Kim. Or, find a working pinball machine, but that’s another secret.
-the second half of the entire game area opens up on day three, new areas, new characters, and more information on the case. On day 4 you can travel to a long abandoned computer factory and meet a man enjoying the view with his son. Speak to him exhaustively and you will unlock a thought called the *sigh* “Wompty-Dompty Don centre.” It is easily one of the best thoughts in the game and makes drat near everything easier.
-at one point you will find a pay phone, keep dialing random numbers until IT happens.
-you can get the boots, but not with Kim around.
-very late in the game you will visit an island. Be sure to take a nap there, and then head to the eastern sea. You will see one of the best and most brutal bits of writing I have ever seen in video games.
-if you keep wearing the hideous necktie it will eventually start talking to you. Articles of clothing beginning to speak to you is perfectly normal and has a big payoff in the climax.
-when you get The Photo of The Corpse, you can ask the Scab Leader about his opinion on it. The result is very, very uncomfortable, but also tells you everything you need to know about the Scab Leader.
-moving through The Smoker On The Balcony’s dialogue line will eventually let you meet a representative of the moralintern. Once you finish speaking to that representative you will understand why I dislike liberalism.

Did I do a good job preparing her for The Experience?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

UP AND ADAM posted:

Disco is just too good. Try nier automata if you want something as classy and cool and effortlessly brilliant

I agree, but be ready for a lot of posts using the phrase "freshman philosophy"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreyjoyBastard posted:

much like history, har har har

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bar Ran Dun posted:

What are ideas?

A form or pattern we see. A category of being. Symbols that are the consequence of a thinking existence that shape our reality.

I don’t want it both ways I just don’t particularly care about a distinction you probably do care about.

Lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

keithy george posted:

The bigger ideas in my head beat up the stupid little ideas and stuff them into the brain lockers.

in a sense when you eat a burger you are becoming a cow a little at a time

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If you eat a burger the cholesterol might stick stick around in your arteries. Micro nutrients above RDA can mitigate ADHD. What you eat could affect your gut micro biome and could affect your mood and general disposition.

Lol none of that is true. It makes you into a cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samovar posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'd be sore tempted to try a pie like that, even if it was delivered by a cryptofacist.

Shame about the racism in it, tho.

Yeah French people don't actually have noses like that