Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If you want to search DE text, I strongly recommend FAYDE. Much faster and easier to read than Disco Reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Authority needs to be a Psyche skill because it's about your ability to command and control, not physically intimidate people. We have Physical Instrument for that. Kim's Authority is supposed to be off the charts but the dude looks like a skeleton somebody slapped magnifying glasses on

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

sebzilla posted:

Shivers is *maybe* supernatural with Harry literally communing with the spirit of Revachol or *maybe* more wild hallucinations underpinned by his phenomenal ability as a detective, familiarity with the city (even if he's "forgotten" it his unconscious clearly still knows a lot) and/or a streak of lucky hunches. It's definitely a lot more fun to read it as the former, though, and in a universe where the Pale is a real thing it's certainly plausible enough.

If we accept some extra-canonical stuff as being true - This stuff namely - it's very plausible that Harry is actually psychic and his visions might be 100% real. Inland Empire is definitely Harry's own weirdness but I believe that Shivers and Espirit de Corps are Harry tapping into the power of the Pale.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

That one line alone is what makes the Magpies/Innocences theories so interesting, because they don't just see the future, they see potential futures, and can change the present with the information. That's why Elysium is such a weird technological hodge-podge, they're building things like electric cars and internet telecommunications using horse carriages and radios. We were supposed to come up with this ourselves....

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And that's what's cool about the DE universe because they skipped all the "in-between" steps and got straight to the now. High-performance battery-powered cars with early 20th century style chassis and MMORPG games over ham radio. The most high-end and advanced computing technology in the world is still tape-based and was never even produced

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The moment I fell in love with this game was talking about the Pale in depth with Joyce, and I realized this wasn't just a weird alt-history game but straight up existential science fiction. Well actually the moment I fell in love with this game was "I want to have gently caress with you" but I think those two moments together illustrate what DE is all about.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Phlegmish posted:

I actually wonder what happens if you don't have a place to sleep, is it just game over?

The game over sequence for not having a bed to sleep in is one of the saddest and funniest things in the entire game.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I think the new voices are all around WAY better than the old ones, especially Cuno's. Old Cuno is the most annoying thing I have ever heard in my life and yes I understand Cuno is supposed to be annoying but New Cuno is the right kind of annoying. He actually sounds like a kid.

Like I really cannot believe that the strike leader would sound like a guy who does a podcast. I feel like I'm playing Counter-Strike when I hear that guy scream slurs at me.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I have found it extremely interesting that there's no in-game representative for anarchism as a political position. I think the only character who comes close to that is Cindy the SKULL? Maybe the devs are just above being completely political-compass-brained though.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Asking "who is good" is kind of a bad question for Disco Elysium. The real thing to ask is who is actually a bad person? Aside from like, Ruud, that is

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Orange Devil posted:

All the mercs, Joyce, Gary, the racist lorry driver, René and probably Cuno's dad and maybe Klaasje.

And all of those people have believable reasons for being that way! The mercs all have horrible traumatic childhoods, Joyce's brain is being fried by the Pale, Gary's a wimp who wants to be cooler than he is, the lorry driver is what zero pussy does to a motherfucker, Rene's Narnia-deep in the closet, Cuno's dad lives in Revachol and Klaasje is actively being hunted for by the government. Every character, even the most vile ones, are human beings at their hearts and have real reasons for espousing their sometimes abhorrent philosophies.

Except for Ruud, seriously, that dude is terrifying

E: Oh yeah and the Sunday Friend is the evilest guy in the game that is true

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do any other characters in the entire game have a similarly halo'd portrait?

Kim's halo is unique to him, but there's a few interesting motifs in the portraits:
  • All of the union members have a white and red background, the color of the Dockworkers' Union - except for Claire, whose background is red and white, because he's corrupt, and Elizabeth, who isn't actually a member of the Union but her background is muddy vertical white and brown because she still works for them
  • The truck drivers all have a white rectangle behind them and are looking directly into the camera, like a driver's license photograph
  • The blurriness of a character's portrait is linked to how "put together" they are. Characters like Kim and Elizabeth are painted coherently because they're sober and sane, but Idiot Doom Spiral and Bird's Nest Roy are blending into their backgrounds due to their addictions. You can see this in some of the Hardie Boys too, notice that Alain's portrait is a little bit streaky and if you get the Tribunal outcome where him and Eugene are the the only survivors he starts drinking himself into oblivion.
  • The only other character to have a halo like that is actually Jean, but his is a black square instead of a white circle! Harry broke his heart too many times :(

Youremother fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 7, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

That guy was a hero :colbert:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Go do a Fascist Harry run, the fascism quest is unironically one of the best in the game

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Maybe Dolores should have predicted the bulletproof vest if she didn't want to get merked so hard. And here we see the living proof:

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Moralintern is a ship that was meant to be helmed by a living goddess, not by a committee. No wonder it has drifted so far off course.

that when you scratch a Moralist, a Fascist bleeds!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

cgeq posted:

... what does fascism have to offer that makes it worth the cost?

The last person in the game you would expect to having a frank, sincere, one-on-one conversation with Harry about the one thing that's ACTUALLY bothering him.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The Magpie stuff is only from extra-canonical concept art. You can see the ideas for it in the game if you look carefully and read between the lines, but it's not actually in there.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Trant is something more vile than a moralist, or even the most rigid of fascists: he's a genuine moderate. Shudder.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The end-game espirit check changes depending on your political orientation. If you're a communist Pryce says Harry will side with "the people", Moralist Harry will side with the RCM, Fascist Harry will side with Revachol, and ultraliberal Harry is, I kid you not, described as having always been "money over bitches".

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I have a theory that most peoples' First Harry is a sorry cop-communist or maybe moralist, because the average human being is not ready to plumb the depths that are required to play the real Harry DuBois.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I have not read the book but I have heard that it has the second revolution succeeding and the Coalition nuking Revachol for it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I have seen other people suggest the things that happen when you fail checks are what Old Harry would have done in that situation. Unthinkingly calling Kim a slur, putting his gun in his mouth and threatening suicide because he's not getting his way, having a crying meltdown at a teenager in public, I mean the list goes on.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You have to succeed at a check to shoot cunoesse tho.

Yeah, not even the Old Harry would've done that, you monster!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

i am a moron posted:

I’m doing a racist/facist/not touching the body run rn and it actually sucks really bad. But I want to get the worst outcome on the tribunal and just gently caress this whole thing up and see what happens

I think you can get the worst outcome easily by ignoring the quest to get your gun and letting Ruby survive... Which is what I did my first playthrough :smith:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How does letting ruby survive impact the tribunal?

If she dies you can take her gun. No dead Ruby, no extra gun if your didn't get your own.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Oxyclean posted:

How does that help/change things?

The Spirit Bomb is your backup, backup weapon. No gun and no flaming alcohol cocktail means you are completely defenseless against the Tribunal and are guaranteed the worst possible outcome.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Is it contested? The dialogue when you investigate the sniper's nest even describes the view as being like a landscape painting. If you look carefully you can even see the exact light of Klassje's room as described in the scene.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Best moments of the game are where you're making a drat fool of yourself and Kim decides to actually play along. Like the daba-doop-doop-dead scene or also wishing there was still ice cream in a years-old unused freezer.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

My favorite part about that scene is thinking the "D" was some kind of alt-history fictional drug, but when he said "diamorphine" I remembered the very important context that "heroin" was actually brand name

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Also do everything the necktie suggests, everything, even if and especially if you don't think you can afford to.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

MariusLecter posted:

Oh he wants that D alright. Needs it bad.

KIM KITSURAGI - The Lieutenant turns his face away from you, clearly humiliated. "Please refrain from making comments like that to me, lieutenant-yefreitor."

DRAMA - If you wish to flirt with him, you shall need to be more subtle than that, lord!

ELECTROCHEMISTRY - He didn't realize you were offering...

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If I can't work out and scream, I don't want to be part of your revolution :colbert:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I would buy the hell out of a Kim Kitsuragi dating sim.
I mean the game is already halfway there, but I need them to add the option to maybe give your partner a little kiss?

Justin Keenan put it best, "the thing about desire is that it’s stronger when it’s not totally satisfied."

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Side-eyeing the silhouette of the monster through those cargo pants will be enough for me.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Zero doubt in my mind that Harry is bisexual. None. 100% certainty.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Oh, y'know, my own wife can the same way. Sometimes I can go four, five days without seein' her! Mostly when I'm in the doghouse, that is. But, well, ma'am, there's no easy way to put this.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Every Columbo episode opens up with a cold open where we see who the killer is, and how they did it. There's a theory that Harry had completely solved the case before he did... whatever it was that wiped his brain.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

https://twitter.com/thehandunseen/status/1621548262271377409

Some extremely fresh semi-lore just dropped.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

As if Vimes's thing isn't magical anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think the other 24 insane voices would work half as well if you didn't have a straight man for them to bounce off. Plus he always has your back, never steers you wrong, and gets some absolute banger lines.

And the two times when he does gently caress up (during the Dora dream and with Klaasje) are both incredible.