Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Turning hardcore mode on in the main menu, sets the menu music to adm and the church to rave. Is this new in the final cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kalsco posted:

Hello, I'm playing through the game for the first time and loving it, etc.

I'm on Day 2 and a little stuck on if I've just sorta hit a limbo until time progresses further:

I've spoken with and exhausted every dialogue option I've had with everyone. Joyce, Cindy, Housekeeper, Real Estate Agent, done the bookshop quest, dice lady, pétanque people, pawn shop, guy by butter sign, pawn shop guy, guy who sells stolen goods, truck driver, scab, guy on railing at picket line, Measurehead, Frittte girl, everyone in Whirling-in-Rags (Garte? Titus, lawyer, cook, cryptowife), radioed out, Cuno, Cunoesse, smoking guy (to exhaust the totality of what I've done). Presently I'm just waiting for 9pm for the smoking guy to show up again, waiting for dice to be made, and waiting for the water lock to be fixed and for the police to radio back re: serial numbers. I've tried redoing the Measurehead thing to just knock him out but right now if I fail I just get a game over. Body is still up on the tree because I hosed up shooting him down, backed out of what I'm guessing was an option to rip him down, and think I locked myself out of having the Union do it.

Am I just left waiting, now? And if so, is there any way to speed it up? Feel like I'm missing something.

You could try one of the other ways to get into the Harbor. There are three.
You can speed up time by sitting at a bank, if kim is away. By reading a book or playing a boardgame otherwise.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

tripwood posted:

Not all stats are as equally entertaining. Here's my rundown on the funniest and chattiest skills.

Lame buds:

Perception: You get a little more visual/smell/hearing cues during conversations but never really gets much interesting special going.

You can miss a lot of stuff if you have low perception. For example, you won't even be able to see the broken tape and the broken window in your room.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I can't imagine anybody speedrunning this. Which is why I am watching the run right now.

Day 1: Put on pants, Bum money from Joyce, read man from hejmdall for the whole day, briefly look at the body.
Day 2: Pay Garte, re-read man from hejmdall for the whole day. Leave kim behind. Pass the checks with Titus and Klasje.
Day 3: Get the Ruby quest, Grab the bullet from the shack?, do the mural checks, do the endgame.
Day X: Go to the island without kim, listen to the whole boat song... go directly to the deserter. Chase of the phasmid.

No idea what the bullet is used for, and no idea that you could finish the titus/klasje stuff without listening to the tape.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

I have no idea how to use that link. What happens if you read it after Kim gets shot in the tribunal

No, you don't -- not without official police backup. It's simply impossible to open it. Your hands refuse to move.
Esprit de Corps:
Somewhere in a station lazareth lieutenant-detective Kitsuragi turns on the side and says: ouch. The wounds are agonizing.
Inland Empire:
Hmm... it's as if there is an automatic *self-defence* structure in your hand, keeping you from mind-loving yourself with letters from past lovers.
Hand/Eye Coordination:
It's me. I'm keeping his hand from moving. We're not doing that anymore. We're not reading those words. People have died. He needs to work, not ache his heart for something that will never return.

Pretty crazy that they included stat checks in such a distant side line. And after seeing that I am actually surprised that cuno doesn't get a comment.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Vagabong posted:

Joyce doesn't bend light because she's decieving Harry about who she is.

I hadn't thought of this like this, but it makes sense.

Anyway, I think the most important thing that distinguishes Joyce from the billionaires that she gets compared to is that she is that she is no longer happy with any ideology that could justify her riches. Both real billionaires or the rest of the board of WP. While she is the most obvious liberal character, she is almost a former liberal.
She wouldn't be half as sympathetic otherwise. This makes it possible that she is lying here, too.

What she has in common with Harry is that they are between ideologies, but utterly tied to their past in ways that makes them unacceptable to any true morality without a supernatural redemption arc.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It's more that Joyce is rich enough that she can afford to be a nice person.

True.
My point is more that Joyce seems to have transitioned from a normal billionaire life to being a bit nice fairly recently. Her Moralist ending might have her going on a Bill Gates style charity arc after the events of the game.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The anarchist thought is "hobocop" and as it says, if Harry started to take this thought seriously he would have to actually quit being a cop.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Measurehead is a minority racist. He wants to be a fascist, but the real fascists won't let him join because he is a minority.
That is a group that is easy to make fun off, because they are unable to enact their hate in a meaningful way without the majorities support. But, if he ever got his own ethnostate where he actually got to oppress someone, he would no longer be funny.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Every new thing you learn about her makes arresting her a more sensible decision. Until you talk to the sunday friend.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

One interesting thing about arresting her is that is that you can't arrest her for a good reason, even thought good reasons exist. You only know how harmful she is after you already talked to Ruby, when the opportunity has passed.
If you arrest her, Harry is doing so for very bastard cop reasons even if the player might act on justification by knowledge from a later play-through.

There is a smaller version of this dynamic with Gary.
Where you can fine him for littering, possibly motivated by your dislike of his fascism. Which makes Harry into the kind of cop who uses such small crimes to punish people who he dislikes. You later find out that he stole that armor, but you can't change your decision then.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

We have communism at home.
A surprisingly good summation of social democracy.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I think he’d do nothing but insult the sniper and talk about how he should have been put down like a dog, but in a weird, almost admiring way

Exactly the same way the Dros talks about Rene. Makes sense.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Antonymous posted:

they committed war crimes on behalf of a pharmaceutical company but they're still *people* too

They are also depicted as products of their society. They were made into the war crime happy maniacs they are, by people like Joyce and the SF. And possibly like Klasje and Evaret.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think they say it’s relative wealth for this one. Harry’s bank account is nothing. Kim could easily be multiple orders of magnitude wealthier than Harry without being particularly wealthy. I mean, Kim doesn’t have to raise funds to not die of exposure in a dumpster.

It’s like the saving for retirement advice. There is a threshold where the response to: “you should save 10% of your income changes from “yeah probably” to “gently caress you”

Harry’s “gently caress you” poor.

Harry used to work as a teacher, now he is a fairly high ranking police officer. He is middle class by every metric. He just seem poorer because he lives in a poor part of the world, and because he drank away all of his money.
Hell, he is almost certainly debt free after he paid Garte.
He is in the same moderate income, black zero wealth, lower middle class situation as Homer Simpson.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This game is insane. I had my first game ending. Despite all of my skills telling me not to, I read the letter in the ledger.

That really sucks but god drat. That was amazing.

edit: oh boy, I forgot the number one rule of RPGs. Save often. I just lost an hour.

The game didn't end, if you reloaded you missed out on cool stuff

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am actually surprised that nobody stole this post from the cosplay thread yet.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Nordick posted:

Yeah, honestly I feel like if you're still thinking in normal video game conventions like "what to do before a boss encounter" at that point of the game, it's kinda on your own head.

It is the opposite. RPG parties throw down a tent and have a bbq in the Emperors antechamber on a collapsing space station to get ready before confronting him.
It makes less sense for a normal person.
Kim has some strange dialogue there in order to try and make it seem like your powernap makes sense. Especially as the RCM doesn't feel like a pro powernap culture . I feel like it would flow better if you were sitting down to rest your leg and dozing of unintentionally.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Have a video about why Disco is the correct musical genre for the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_c2dCO5WLo

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

"Picking no side" means siding with whoever is currently in charge, this has never really changed.
You can pretend otherwise within the normal world, surrounded by people who benefit from the status-quo. And just go along with that normality.

But in Martinese during the strike, at the edge of society, it becomes very obvious that there is nobody around who accepts that framing. Because there is nobody there that falls for the illusion of normalcy.
If you return in a few years, "picking no side" in new Martinese might imply siding with Edgar, earning you lots of nods.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Those are quite cursed.
But I am now choosing to believe that that is Kimball's official pinball hall of fame picture.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In case someone isn't following them, Sea Power is putting out some disco videos.
Remixes of their songs, and with the newest also a fanart show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Q-IgHnuWs

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Moralism is Centrism. The game is absolutely clear about that.
And ultraliberalism is their version of neoliberalism or libertarianism.
I know many people can not imagine that there is a difference between people who oppose any change to the status quo no matter what it is and people who would want to create the current system if it didn't already exist.

Disco Elysium is one of the few pieces of fiction where that difference is treated as very meaningful.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kim is a Moralist disappointed with Moralism. But not disappointed enough to support change or even change his own lifestyle from his Moralist career.
The same connection that Joyce has to ultra-liberalism.
Leading to them both officially supporting nothing. Which is why they are both so appealing to the irony-poisoned who would never support anything.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Also re: good people:

EASY LEO – "Guys like Mr. Evrart and Mr. Edgar -- his brother -- are real good guys, made Martinaise what it is today... Mr. Evrart and Mr. Edgar and I went to the same school, we did, when we were boys..."

GASTON MARTIN – "Everyone in Martinaise knows the Claire brothers," he says solemnly. "I taught these boys human studies and history in the gymnasium."

They are centrists and thus satisfied with the status quo. Which makes them Moralists in the language of the game.
They are loyal to the status quo and refuse any change like a Moralist would, they just believe that the Claires are currently charge.
Their arguments for refusing to oppose (the moralist version of supporting if you don't remember), the Claires are exactly the same as Kim or any normal Moralist would give you for not opposing the Moralintern.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Samovar posted:

Yes, the people who are supporting strikers who are deliberately rebelling against the working conditions imposed upon them by the owners of White Pines are keeping the status quo.

No, the people who are supporting the Strikers are doing so out of conviction. They would and have supported the Strikers before they became the de-facto authority in Martinese.
Gaston and the other people who are "not opposing"(TM) the Strikers are doing so because they have accepted them as the new status quo. They would and have supported the Moralintern rule before the Strikers became the de-facto authority in Martinese.

e: I do think that recognizing that difference is part of the core message of the game.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 20, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Eiba posted:

What the heck? They are not Moralists in any sense of the word!

Moralism is the ideology of Dolores Dei, the ideology of our Enlightenment. It is a rational humanist ideology. A secular religion that values stability and decorum and has a clinical utilitarian perspective on human well being. It is not an ideology of meaningless triangulating centrism between various extreme ideologies or whatever, it defined the center before any of those other ideologies even existed. Presumably in Dolores Dei's time it struck out far to the left of the status quo of royalism, and was then still identifiably Moralism. It is synonymous with centrism in the same way the Sun in the center of the solar system- it is an ideology, with a very particular point of view, that has absolutely the most weight in the world at the moment.

Gaston and Leo are not Moralists. Being apolitical isn't being a Moralist. Having politics superseded by community connections isn't Moralist.

I'm pretty sure making you feel Gaston isn't sufficiently revolutionary and feel he's as bad as the fuckers with the airships is not a core message of this game, no.

People coming to support political positions through non-ideological paths is actually pretty normal. If anything characters like that are in the game to emphasize that it's not all about thought cabinets and Correct ideologies, and a lot of the messy work on the ground is personal connections with people just trying to live their lives.

So you believe that there would be nobody valuing stability and decorum in a hypthetical world where Dolores Day never existed?
Also, I seem to remember the game stating that saying "none of the above" to all political question is Moralist. Which means that Moralism as the game interprets it is centrism. I should look it up, but OK I am going to assume that the game never interprets "apolitical" statements as moralist.
And in that case me calling Gaston and Leo moralists was wrong.

I am saying that Gaston (and Leo) joined the Union for different reasons then people like Maneana. You are the one implying that one must be worse then the other. Or that that implies that they aren't normal.

I am specifically saying that they joined the Union for personal and non-ideological reasons. And that Kim supports(supported) the Moralintern for the same reasons.
And that is good storytelling and realistic characterdesign for them to do so. I am specifically arguing against people assuming that they could only support those ideas out of fundamental ideological reasons.
e: and yes I do consider the fact that there are people joining political movements for alternatively entirely personal, local or ideological reasons an important part of the game, because most other works just insist there is only one possibility.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 20, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

FPyat posted:

Although maybe the joke is that academic types with an intellectual passion for radical theory functionally are moderates in every way.

Not really.
The zine writers, and to a lesser extend Roy, are academic types with intellectual passion for radical theory. When the time comes to say one of the fascist or communist things, they will say the communist thing.

Trent is functionally moderate because he is privileged enough to be utterly disconnected from normal society. If he actually ever could be forced to say the fascist or communist thing or gently caress off, he wouldn't be the same person anymore. This is the main trait he shares with TSF.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 24, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Imo Kim would include it in the report but might bury it towards the bottom if he liked you.

Yeah, that is what he says he will do when you show him your stolen boots. He would absolutely treat your other crimes similarly.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Unrealistic. Kim would never say anything that implies that your car is bigger then his.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I had assumed that some kind of posing function already existed hidden in the game-files. There was a tribute music video that used scenes that aren't in the game afaik. And the trailers also used posed scenes.

And releasing such a mod mode to the public instead of doing anything creative is just one step below selling the game to Bethesda.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah I find the napping motivation quite weak, especially as it unlocks such an important scene.

I think Kim (or Motorics or whatever) should have called out Harry's leg injury specifically and asked him to sit down a bit to rest his leg. They might even call out how Harry was standing on the boat blasting Sad-FM putting extra unnecessary strain on that leg. And then Harry nods off after sitting down without direct orders from the player.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

One of the Mystery story rules is: games should be "apolitical".
Disco Elysium never had a chance.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

i am a moron posted:

If this was created in a non-capitalist society, who would own the IP?

What does the P in IP stand for?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

i actually like the idea of young witch story.

Disco is clearly very different from a generic detective noir story so that children's fantasy would also have to quickly diverge from the genre norms.
And a young witch spin-kicking a fascist sounds more realistic then a cop spin kicking a fascist.

Arguably frog detective is actually pretty close to that recommendation even.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Disco Sequel should be about a little girl in the mountains who helps people find lost cats, and who ultimately becomes a guerilla fighter.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Could just be that she managed to escape right before the ring was busted so they couldn't track her down

Or she was there when the ring was busted and the cops didn't help her besides that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

sebzilla posted:

You should be more like Contact Mike

#bemoremike

There actually was an athlete named Mike getting some extra inspirational fame around the time that the game originally released. I always found that to be extra funny.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

What makes Joice popular on the internet is that she is a stereotypical poster.
She is happy to critique the system and ideology she profits from, but is utterly unwilling to to take any action that could inconvenience her. Just like us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The ruins around the harbor are all occupied, so if there is constuction there they would also have to evict people there.

What is actually more consistent with Evrart's character is that he refuses to evict Union member from their ruins, but is ok with evicting the members of the village which are unconnected to him.