Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

if you restart an put 2s in everything but motorics, the voices will be less opinionated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Trickortreat posted:

Any tips for making rent? I was able to con my way to getting the 130, but with how tedious it is to collect cans, I don't think I am in for a good time if I have to collect 20 monies every day. I am assuming either money will become a lot easier to get or I will be able to find another place to stay somehow? Stressing out about being able to make rent is not my idea of a fun time.

the minimum number of times you have to pay rent is 2

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

you need to have some level of ambient social support in order to be a starving artist, like the novelty dicemaker with her radio milieus and well-off patrons. cuno is poor and has artistic impulses (the night city) but he's unlikely to find the free time and peace of mind needed to get really good at making architectural models out of card stock or whatever

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

catgirlgenius posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joegrstdeux/status/1567566908244824066

um. hrmm. you really wouldn't be able to hear anal beads

just one more piece of alternate-universe industrial design

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Alchenar posted:

You absolutely can copyright game mechanics, it's just very difficult to get the patent and it doesn't take more than minor tweaks to get around the patent usually.

A dialogue tree isn't patentable, but if behind the curtain of DE there's a specific and novel method of sorting and filtering dialogue options according to player stats then that could potentially be patentable. I don't think they've actually done that though.

the same mechanics were in neverwinter nights

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Megazver posted:

At least one of the dudes making wink nudge auteur theory amirite tweets is a current ZA/UM writer. And he doesn't even have credits on the original game, lol.

at least he is aware of his own status as a fungible content production unit

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

the one video game with good writing exists, and that's something of a miracle. it's not reasonable to expect strings of miracles

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Volte posted:

Good lord

consume product, but not excited for next product? good lord!

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

i guess that level of faith in humanity or whatever is an attitude you can have if you've never seen a startup after the founders left

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Verviticus posted:

they dont have to quit their job but if they arent compelled to speak out at risk to their job or quit it then it seems less likely that they are capable of the nuance required to produce a piece of art thats thematically resonant with the original game

this is a really trivially easy concept to grasp its weird to see how many people didnt understand it

people are just noticing toys left out on the carpet and reprimanding their owners

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

looking forward to evaluating jabroni za/um's creative output

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Sardonik posted:

One of the more refreshing elements of DE is precisely the fact that it uses actual definitions of the ideologies and imagines a world where people actually understand and use them correctly. It is perhaps the most fanciful element of DE.

lol this take is excellent

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

MariusLecter posted:

Just got this game, hear nothing but non spoiler praise and seen only memes like the "Officer, do monsters actually taste good?" and such. Read OP and tomorrow I'm gonna get some coffee in the morning and run around with high Logic and Encyclopedia and balance out anything else i can EXCEPT verbal skills, will power and physicality.

WISH ME LUCK.

you're in for a treat, and there's basically no way to gently caress up

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

the final cut shivers voice actor doesn't know the melody of "where the hood at"

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

VictualSquid posted:

I should look it up, but OK I am going to assume that the game never interprets "apolitical" statements as moralist.

some of them are Regular Law Official, others are World's Most Laughable Centrist

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

TACD posted:

Girlfriend finished her playthrough tonight, was a real treat especially since she played very differently to me (I never had the talking tie for one thing).

…but she had a 97% chance roll for the phasmid and rolled snake eyes :cry:

this also happened to me the first time, but i wondered if it was rigged and reloaded to check

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Gaius Marius posted:

It was boring, and its aspect of "Reinforcing the plot" is totally negated by the fact that it was boring as poo poo and mindbogglingly stupid. Hopelessness and despair are meme emotions, and trying to prey upon those to reinforce your bullshit metaphysics is just sad. We already have to deal with legions of sad lads mad that their revolutions failed and their lives are totally controlled by reminiscence and substance abuse. The Pale adds nothing to the game, it's set dressing of the worst kind, the kind that obscures the actual interesting parts of the game, the characters and dialogue, in favor of rambling nonsense about radio waves, history, and italicized art.

it's a climate change metaphor

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

i am a moron posted:

If this was created in a non-capitalist society, who would own the IP?

maybe the king
maybe the dead ancestors
maybe the workers
maybe no one
maybe the ministry of culture
maybe god and the saints

impossible to say

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

i am a moron posted:

I feel like that’s fair. I also feel like complaining about how this is capitalisms problem when the systems it’s being compared against specifically eschew this kind of ownership at all is a weird take.

with, for example, universal basic income or public arts funding it would be way easier to get a product like this off the ground or continue to make new games in the world, instead they had to get sponsorship from a nationalist psychopath who now owns their ideas

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

UnknownMercenary posted:

To be honest the doc left me with more answers than questions. It sure sounds like the Final Cut was basically forced on the studio by investors, and then Kurvitz was sidelined while the studio was restructured around him along with the financial fuckery.

and THAT's why the shiver's voice actor didn't know the melody to "where the hood at"

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

drive your plow over the bones of the dead could form the basis of a pretty good adventure game. it has an old lady protag and cottages

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

CJacobs posted:

Looking at more portraits just to spitball some fun connections... Reaction Speed reads as Trant Heidelstam to me.

His portrait comes across as turning to meet you, like you've caught him off guard but he already has a response prepared. Meanwhile Reaction Speed's head is on a swivel. Special Consultant Backpedal is that you?

we'll never get the intricately modeled stick-fighting scene

such an rpg character detail. "my main contribution to the party is my maxed-out encyclopedia score, but i also spend 8 hours a day practicing a martial art centered around a weapon with the 'reach' attribute"

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

whydirt posted:

Hot Take: the “nice person representing a bad system” of Joyce vs the “lovely people repping a good system” Claires is a false dichotomy manufactured by the devs and is one of the weaker parts of DE

eh, it’s a dynamic that fritz fanon wrote about. colonizers can afford to appear morally upright at a much lower relative cost than the people they subjugate, and the colonized have incentive to reject the culture of the colonizers wholesale, including their moral system

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

literally murder all human beings regardless of their political beliefs

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

World War Mammories posted:

"you are obligated to continue supporting the studio after it was couped by human personifications of greed because otherwise the workers they're holding hostage might not get a few of the crumbs" always seemed rather short-sighted to me

RIGHT! TO! WORK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

General Battuta posted:

This doesn’t seem communist, fascist, ultraliberal OR moralist???

The old man stares at the reeds. His face shows no emotion -- only a faint tremor passes over his features, like a leaf in the wind.

Only registered members can see post attachments!