Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can probably go 3/3/3/3 and have a decent chance of never really failing at anything substantial, especially if you have metagame knowledge, but it's way more fun if you can and do fail and very much designed around that. A 1 in at least one stat is actually a very good idea I'd say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah, I guess another way to put it is being specialized in some things and a horrible fuckup at others is a recipe for a lot of really fun, good things to happen. There's no wrong cop type except boring cop

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

i agree except dont ever cheat and do 6666 because its basically the anti-cool playthrough

Yeah, I can say from personal experience the cheated all high stats playthrough is weirdly not interesting at all. I kind of approach 3/3/3/3 as the junior version of that, though of course a blind playthrough will still encounter its share of difficulties. It's certainly at its worst only if you know all the game's tricks

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I have a very long crash-looking hang on startup, but in my case at least the game's able to recover from it and be normal if you give it a minute.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Accretionist posted:

Have the fixed game's most glaring oversight yet: Letting you sleep in the dumpster. Chekov's Dumpster.

That was actually patched in like a year ago. You can try, but you die of exposure and get a game over. You also get an achievement. It's basically just an end to the soft lock state you were left in if you couldn't pay prior to that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Incidentally, insane respect to them for ultimately not using the touched up skill portraits. It must have been hard to take that feedback but they did. Rostov remains unblemished

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I only played a little bit but I find the narrator's delivery very interesting. I would have thought you just couldn't read a lot of lines in DE as bone dry as he does, but it somehow actually works

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm considering trying to plat this on PS. Does it require multiple playthroughs or can I finish in 1?

With extensive foreknowledge you might be able to branch your save a lot to do it in maybe one or two really weird artificial playthroughs, but I strongly wouldn't recommend it for a first experience

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are some guides on steam that would probably be useful, the achievements are the same. I think it would basically boil down to trying to navigate conversations trying to hit appropriate distributions as efficiently as possible for the 'say X type of thing Y times' type achievements. If memory serves massive torque dork in particular requires a very specific build/set of actions to hit

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was incredibly worried this game wouldn't be as magical the second time through but it sunk its hooks right back in as soon as I started playing today.

I really, really hope this update gets new folks to give it a go because it is as perfect a game as we're likely to see for years

I think everyone was a little too abashed to say it in the halcyon days of 2019, but it's easily on the short list for best game ever made

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

I am so glad I waited for the final cut, I didnt make it very far when I first got it so I'm super looking forward to experiencing the game at it's full potential.

Also, can someone please remind me how to quickly get cash at the start of the game? I remember the thing that stressed me out the most was that I had no loving idea how to get money for rent and an umbrella at the very beginning and was too stressed to explore since time was running out on the first day.

Consider asking people for bribes donations. Don’t worry too much, the game actually has an out for you if you don’t have enough money on the first day, it’s paying on day 2 you have to be careful about.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Banking can be a very effective strategy but yeah it's not very in the spirit of it, better to spend your points honestly and either start saving up or take the L when you can't make a check in my worthless opinion

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think I sort of knew this abstractly before, but my final cut playthrough so far has really highlighted how almost every red check early in the game gives you something better for failing it than passing. Very very smart & cute design

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Cuno 1.0 was iconic. There was no way they were going to escape taking some heat with a different VA, no matter what

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sidequest spoilers Oh you'd better believe I'm going to be looking at the gamedev subplot in the doomed commercial area through a cyberpunk rear end lens

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are a small handful of things you can only do during the first few days, but it's not enough to be worth worrying about at all

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zeta Acosta posted:

is there a way to pay my hotel room without asking lena, rich boat lady or kim?

There's at least one other person you could ask who comes to mind. If you scrounge quite a bit you could probably not ask any of them provided you bamboozled garte sufficiently

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah Evrart will hand you a comically oversized check which you can cash in IIRC but I don't remember how to argue the price down with Garte, is there a skill requirement for it?

e: I think I missed it this time because I passed the check to run away from him.

Yeah, you have to either fail the running away check or don't attempt it at all and then pass an authority check. Depending on how you play it the adjusted amount you owe ends up between like 30 and 100 real.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The book will be released as a co branding opportunity with the upcoming elysium TV show and mobile gacha game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Is Moralism the hardest of the ideologies to actually get points in to trigger the thought? In my first run I triggered the three others pretty early on, but only internalized the communism (and then replaced it later because it wasn't doing me much good), don't think I got close to getting the moralism thought. Hasn't happened in the new one yet either.

I've been gunning for it and have had a similar experience. I'm near the end of the first day on my final cut playthrough and haven't had it trigger yet, even though I have passed up approximately one billion dialogue options for the others. My theory is the moralist options are so bland and unassuming that the eye simply rolls right past them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Has anyone written analysis of the themes and messages of DE? It's staggeringly dense with views on a wide variety of subjects, but with the way dialogue trees change based on your build, it seems just a slice is available via any given playthrough.

On top of that, the way the game is designed is also saying something. The text often gives you no correct option in a conversation, or forces you to choose between two or more unpalatable lines of thought, very different than the older style of point/click adventures it draws from.

All this creates a game that feels like it's ripe for discussion (like this thread) and analysis--has anyone found a good example of the latter?

I often find myself recommending what scott benson said about the game (here, bottom of page) as far as brief but on point meditations go. There were also some good longform reflections about the game, it's been a while but if memory serves this is quite nice

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The main thing the klassje convo always reveals is how much cop brain people have and how deeply. It sucks

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Very tempted to just blow off talking to the rear end in a top hat cop coworkers that show up in the hostel on day 3+, is there any consequence to doing that?

This is like my 3rd playthrough.

It might truncate the ending sequence a bit by cutting off the part where you realize the guy was your partner, but that's all I can really think of.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, the Final Cut actually removed the broken window Visual Calculus scene? That's good, because I had a lot of problems with it. Specifically because it let's you solve the mystery too fast and then you have to dick around for two days before you get to actually do anything about it.

Good on them for patching that up.

It isn't removed, it just requires a passive check from a yellow skill to be interactable. It confused me as well since I'm doing a 1 motorics playthrough for final cut. Similarly you also can't do the footprint analysis at the crime scene. It's actually a little goofy that so much visual calculus stuff is apparently gated behind yellow skills

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Can't do the Sherlock Holmes poo poo if you can't even notice stuff.

I get it to an extent, but you could make the same kind of argument for most other skills yet the game won't punish you in the same way. In another way I like it in a way because I kind of went into final cut with the theory that motorics was a dump stat if there were any, but the lack of perception is particularly, appropriately rough

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe it sticks in the craw particularly for visual calculus because it's an unusual kind of skill that only gets a few but big and fancy places to shine. Locking you out of at least two of the what, maybe 10 tops? flashy uses for it in the game feels a little harsh. I don't feel that strongly about it but it is a little odd of a case

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

On a sidenote are we going to get a sequel?

There's been nothing official of course, but having listened to a few talks from kurvitz he really doesn't make much of a secret about wanting to make more games in the same style in the same setting. The game was an extremely huge success so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't happen, the only question is on what timeline.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultraliberals use their shallow cartoonish joke ideology solely to give their unabashed greed a little bit of cover in polite society. But enough about real life, let's talk disco elysium

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wow, they really failed at failing at making a video game.

Well they belatedly did with the playstation version anyway. Call it mission accomplished

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I shouldn't be surprised but the second wave of jackets evaporated even more instantly than the first, god drat. Everyone can enjoy new art from the thought cabinet guy though https://atelier.zaumstudio.com/products/horsey-horse

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Does anyone know how to drink the molotov cocktail during the tribunal? Or is that a hoax, and you outright can't?

I don't know how or whether you can get it in actuality, but entry 8 in this (spoilers) does at least suggest there is text for it in the files.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

P2 comes up occasionally. They are weirdly related games in a variety of ways as you noted. The DE-to-P2 crossover prospect is usually tough because you really have to be game for some misery and eurojank with P2. Whereas DE is so relatively polished and pleasurable to play that it almost escapes the eurojank category entirely.

That said they are both amazing. DE was my game of the last decade and P2 is probably in the top 5. There is mounting evidence that solving a mystery in a weird town is simply the best game genre

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would also give a shoutout to Paradise Killer as another weird town mystery genre representative worth taking a look at. It's a pretty different style of thing with more of an environmental storytelling focus but also its share of interesting similarities. It's not a classic like DE or P2 but it rattles around in my head occasionally

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

People surely said the same thing of young harry, growing up in some hosed up dickensian child gang. But look how well he turned out :colbert:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

She's right, a DE movie is never going to happen. Because we already know it's going to be adapted as a TV series

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 6, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I have only nice things to say about it, it's as well made as you'd hope and feels very sturdy to wear. As far as dumb video game impulse purchases go it's in the top tier. Ultimately I think of it as a jacket that challenges me to be cooler than I am

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Good luck with the drop on friday jacket aspirers 🙏

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Just finished the game for the first time, ending question:

Is there an ending option where you don't go back on the force? Given how much the game makes it clear that the RCM exists under the Moralintern's watch I was kind of expecting a bigger opportunity to tell them to gently caress off.

Everything seemed way too positive considering the phasmid just told me humanity's current direction is making/enabling the pale. Harry's told by his 41st buddies he was secretly a supercrime unit leader and he's needed back on the force? Like this is the phasmid pheromones or a Moralintern plot or something right, it all feels vaguely ominous.

I believe it is possible for the force to refuse to take you back, it is very rare to trigger though since it basically requires you to play the game like you hate it

Edit: I got curious so I found some footage of it, you can see it triggering at the end of this speedrun (slow down the video obv)

https://youtu.be/G4oX_q0-Nx0

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sadly but unsurprisingly any such article in a legacy publication has to spend half the word count explaining what a video game is. It might have gotten somewhere a little more interesting than "game good" if it had been able to leave out the preamble