Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit:

https://imgur.com/a/OEM7FKv

Can't remember who please believe I'm straight is?

Still feelin' a strong Harry alignment.

Edit: Also can't remember how to embed the image rather than the imgur link...sigh

Desdinova fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Tiger Millionaire posted:

they believe that you can not effectively build communism via democracy, it requires, at the start at least, some form of benevolent dictatorship.

Is this reading from the game or politics irl? Direct democracy would be a more communist starting point as well as a working model once established.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Yeah, it's Reddit, didn't see this posted a while ago, was expecting someone else to post it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/vhc960/why_was_the_collapsing_tenement_case_ever_cut/

Fits well into the world though as comments there point out it's a biiiiiiiiiiggggg nod to a Russian film, though most people wouldn't have heard of it (source: Me and people I've met haven't afaik) so I'd have left it in the game.

Still, well worth a quick read.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Rhetoric [Legendary: Success] You should post a thread about the crack and impending collapse on CSPAM.

Looking to buy to rent? Invest now in this ~*unique*~ building for long term profits! Only a few flats left!
:gonk:

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Has Kurwitz’s book been translated yet?

Not yet, though some dude on reddit translated the first three chapters:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RJAWEOwYMhaxaZi3sdlSF_D8-rnLqRlg/view

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Lig...num???

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
It's a few hours late, but worth a share for any Horseman Bojack fans...

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/128q1bx/in_honor_of_disco_elysiums_demo_anniversary/

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERAQVaj1Dn8

anyone else hate autolooping videos that arent designed for loops?

Edit: Turns out linking youtube shorts gets rid of looping. Yay.

Desdinova fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 12, 2023

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
wouldn't have known they were ai, quite liked a few of them too

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Are you visually impaired

am after reading ur posts

Oxyclean posted:

I think their problem was it being "soulless and derivative" not that there wasn't anything of visual interest.

I think generative AI produces "interesting" things, and is sort of fascinating from a technological perspective, but at the heart of it is essentially a ton of art theft and an intent to try to disempower and replace artists.

To make a bit of strong comparison, it's like looking at fascist propaganda and going "well, it looks kind of cool?"

I know you put soulless and derivative in quotes, but that's one of the common complaints against AI art, yet what could possibly give it soul? A cool backstory about how the artist who painted it is imprisoned and fed data until it completes a task, with no end in sight to it's existence? Every act of creativity is using something that's already present, if I draw a landscape it's going to be derivative of several thousand other landscape painters, and the landscape will probably have been painted dozens of times already. Still doesn't mean one can't appreciate a landscape, or any piece of art for what one sees it to be.

Even coming up with the right prompt to generate art requires creativity, could well be a whole new gig for some people.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
An art student walks around the gallery, taking in the old masters work: The intricate brush-strokes, the countless hours of preparation, the studying for weeks on end of the subject that was chosen to be painted. Eventually the art student starts making their own paintings, in his own way having learned from the results of the masters.

"Derivative", "Soulless", "Boring", "Should have paid money to be able to look at a painting", rage the critics. The student, suffering as is traditionally appropriate for art, incorporates these critiques and as the gallery installs a new type of curator, admission prices on galleries and libraries are introduced that block all but the wealthy from appreciating art it in its many forms.

An underground art-appreciation circle forms, where prospective artists can look at each other's work and pass bootleg .jpgs of Renior's and Cezanne's work. The same art is made again, computer and human together creating whatever they like, because art is like that, and if it pisses people off usually then it's doing some good.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Maybe we can finally live in the post-Capitalist Utopia where the robots do both the work people don't want to do, and the work people do want to do, and then people are free(r) to do what they want, even if it's play chess as a lifestyle and get dunked on by Deep Blue ad nauseum.

Or the paradigm doesn't shift, capitalism eats it's critiques once more and we all go looking for a skulll full of cocaine for street cred to snort through our eye sockets.

Tempting to embrace the inner Cuno, "something something care something"

*finger guns and/or middle fingers into the bar, necks a tequila mixed, produced and served by non-humans* woOoooOO!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Who or what is May Bells? The name of the island or something? Played through the entire game (on a 2nd playthrough) and doesn't ring any bells, though I have jut woken up and not had coffee yet.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Sans looking with a blazing thousand mile stare

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Chikimiki posted:

Related, I've finally started watching True Detective (after intense lobbying by my friends) and indeed the Disco Elysium vibes are there

The Shivers that Rust has in s01 is definitely cool, looking forward to watching s04 soon, hope it's better than s02 and at least as good as s03, the first series was the best cop drama in a long time.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

King Carnivore posted:

I’m really enjoying S04, but I don’t know how much DE vibes it has. There’s several crazy policemen in it, that’s for sure, and it’s set in a liminal environment. There’s also cosmic horror elements like S01.

S01 is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. S03 was good, especially the sundowning geriatric squad elements. I hated S02 and only got like 2 episodes in. So far, I’d put S04 above S03. I’d say it’s a watch for sure

I also love Astronomy and the entire Imaginos concept album, if that lends my recommendation any more credence.

Welp, I know what I'm watching next now! I stuck with s02 and it was an alright cop show, just nothing particularly supernatural or cosmic or horror about it, wouldn't argue with you for dropping it after a couple of episodes.

You're the first person I've met on SA since I registered who has even mentioned Imaginos on the forums - it's a supremely fantastic album. Would be good to swap some more worthwhile things to consume in a similar vein.

I recently watched a adaptation by Film4 of The Double by Dostoevsky, it has the main lead wondering if he's insane or the system and/or coworkers are, no cops in it or drugs, though dealing with a successful doppleganger is quite a fun premise, made me rethink my opinion of Jesse Eisenberg.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbPNys71pY

In case anyone else didn't actually bother with the stickers mode there's a few bits of lore added, quite interesting how the revolution is defeated by corpos after Kurvitz et al. leave the team :'(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

NewMars posted:

Mind you, the stuff in that stickers is by admission not really canon, and part of disco elysium is that the future, no matter how bleak it may seem in the moment, is not set in stone.

Realism and Optimism haven't been defeated. The future can be an improvement on how it's been seen *prays in Sarah Connor voice from T2*