Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hi thread, I need to restart my game tonight. On the advice of a friend, in day 4, I haven't gotten the jacket and nothing I do let's me retry the check, so it's stuck on the roof and I'm stuck outside the harbor.

I'm not really dragging the restart because after reading this thread I'll have some smarter stats and choices, but still :smith:

How is this still my favorite game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Thanks for the help, but I'm not finding any new dialog anywhere, and nothing I can do passes time or nets exp, going for that thought didn't occur to me until too late. I didn't even figure out how to use the thought system until day 3 :v:

And by better stats I mean tagging encyclopedia for round 1 probably wasn't the best move.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I haven't been in yet. I'll go back and look for that jump, though!

Books seemed like a good idea, but I can't find any I can afford with my 4 real. Are case files something different?

And encyclopedia is nice, I'm not knocking it. I just think it would be better suited to a subsequent playthrough when I have more context to make it interesting. Especially very early on it was a bit in one ear out the other, at least for me.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Wafflecopper posted:

Yes. Have you recovered your ledger? They’re in that. If you haven’t found it, go have a look in the bin by the body

Yes I had recovered it and this was an excellent time waster! I don't remember quite the sequence of events but the problem got solved and I've been mainlining the game all night. I've had a rapid series of back and forths between Klassje and the union guys with the gardener storming off and my journal is fresh and juicy so I'm going into day 6 excited with stuff to do and a sense of urgency.

I ended the night, both Harry's and mine, singing karaoke :unsmith:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So I finished. That was one hell of a ride and I'm anxious to see just how different different is when I attack another playthrough. But I went through it so quickly in the last few days, I think I need to hang it up for a while so it feels fresher when i go back in. The necktie never talked to me so I know I have that to look forward to at least!

Also, I made the Whirling-in-Rags theme my morning alarm and I don't even hate it yet. What a great soundtrack.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I honestly have no idea how not only did I save Kim, he even joined my precinct. I also had really low authority and poor dice rolls in general, smoked and drank a bit, and internalized advanced race theory. There's no reason he should have liked me, or even listened to me.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

sebzilla posted:

This system existed as a tabletop thing before DE was made, right? Makes me wonder how the skills work for people who aren't cops. Esprit de Corps in particular feels very cop-specific, although I suppose all sorts of people have various groups that they're part of. It's definitely possible to see which characters run particularly high or low in certain skills.

I think "corps" just refers to your personal profession or group, yeah. I work in a kitchen and I definitely get a strong sense of the espirit.

I wonder what that Kim stat means, though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

1) Will an Intellect run be pleasantly deranged? It seems like only Conceptualization has potential to be insane.

I thought drama could be wacky at times.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
On playthrough 2:

I missed the abandoned church anodic rave the first time and this time I am determined to get it but I keep on failing Soona's white check for the headphones. Sadly, I've hit my maximum level for perception. Is there any way to raise it? :ohdear:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I just finished a 2/4/4/2 playthrough and it was great, so much I didn't see the first time around. However, I clicked some bad choices and locked myself out of the communism quest. I'm seriously tempted to find a let's play that covers it, because I'd really like to do different wacky stuff if I play this again.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Wolfsheim posted:

Met the hardcore teens, enjoyed accidentally vibing with Egghead

Hardcore!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I completely avoided the mirror on my second playthrough for that reason.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

wizard2 posted:

Does it get commented upon at the end?

No, and I also got nothing special for keeping the necktie on the whole time :mad:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I tried to do the communist quest last time I played but I got locked out after a skill check very early on. What would be the best build to make sure that quest happens?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I really love 8am Whirling-in-Rags. The theme is my jam and everything about it reminds me of the $20/night hostels of my halcyon* youth.

*alcoholic and drug-addled

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've been trying and failing to start a new game out of a bit of despair. I know I've asked this in this thread before but to be clear: how does the emotional prefab build jive with the communist sidequest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If the starting-the-game advice is at all still relevant, I'd point out that the left/right arrow keys are what you use to use healing items when you're about to die. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure that out. And I saw somebody saying you right-click to highlight interactable elements in the environment; I thought that was tab? It's been a while. Whatever it is, that mechanism also took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out.