Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
had that terminator game on some bigass floppies and with that classic physical drm

i loved it as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
left to rot in the bingaol

May 8, 2006

psx has the benefit that at least some of the games hold up, only one n64 game does

May 8, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

pull up thread

May 8, 2006

my brain when people are metal gear postin' :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mx4RE3jrTs

May 8, 2006

they should have put the emotion ammo in phantom pain

May 8, 2006

finding the connection points between areas in ds1 was great but if you want the player to retread and reretread spaces the actual act of traversal has to be interesting and running past the same pack of rats is not that

in conclusion the only good open world game is death stranding

May 8, 2006

not my first game but as a kid we frequented a used media store where i got most of my games. for a while, when it was possible, they sold used PC games. somehow i ened up with the 'Selectware Classics Collection' (https://archive.org/details/SelectwareClassicCollection-Adventure-fantasyselectware1993) and i played the poo poo out of this cd. not so much the bill and ted game but as a moron child the threat of weird adventure game deaths in zak mckraken and maniac mansion were alluring and terrifying, and Savage Worlds (one of the two side games based on Ultima 6) was so open-ended and weird I had a hard time understanding how to even progress in it. I spent most of my time in it starting a new game, taking as many items as it would let me carry, and wandering aimlessly until i was killed by something.

I've never actually gone back as an adult and finished any of the three, I maybe should. Also Martian Dreams just because it seems neat.

it notes that it has 'over 50 demos and shareware' and I had a couple of CDs like this and I spent countless hours pouring over the list of demos. some of them were really just trailers for the game, but as I was, again, a moron child I was convinced that the full games were on the CD, just locked, and if I could work out the trick I could get access. on another disc, there was a cga text parser adventure game i can't recall the name of I played a lot. I think it was set in ancient something (rome maybe)

May 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't remember either, I know I must've played it at my spoiled well-off neighbour's house tho. They had a ton of NES games and terrible taste so one of their favorite games was Fester's Quest. My dad, ever the penny pincher, bought me a used Master System when I asked for a Nintendo. I played the poo poo out of Wonder Boy.

thread question: if you were lucky enough to have parents try to buy you games that weren't just the ones you asked for, what were the best/worst/weirdest ones you ended up with?

for me the best was probably the original final fantasy. my conception of games was basically mario, wolfenstein, and monkey island so this weird turn-based rpg threw me for a huge loop. i'm a huge FF fan now so it's hard to argue that this wasn't the best pick they ever made. runners up go to colony wars, simtower, and shining force on game gear

the worst (not counting like, the odd tiger handheld) was probably a game called Knight Quest on the GB and to be honest I could not tell you why. I hated this game as a kid for some reason. I had to look it up to see what it was and it looks inoffensive if boring so I'm not sure why I had such contempt for it.

weirdest is a game called Azrael's Tear my grandparents sent for christmas one year. i figure it had the words 'holy grail' and a cool roboknight on the cover so that was probably a winning combo for grandparents who didn't know anything about computer games. I never made it very far in this game, but I recall it being a weird sort of mess of mechanics. like a proto-proto-metroid prime or a off-brand system shock. this one would probably be cool to revisit, I may actually still own the disc.

May 8, 2006

that is the best possible move

May 8, 2006

I'd say snu should have to post a picture of his dinner but they've already got some on the McDonald's website

May 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

The crying noise is supposed to be annoying to make you want to get him back quickly

really it's the pathologic of the snes

May 8, 2006

peanut butter and banana is a pro sandwich

May 8, 2006

how can you enjoy a piece of media if someone might tie you to those cringeworthy enthusiasts?

May 8, 2006

all this talk of 13 Sentinels makes me want to play another VN......

May 8, 2006

happy birthday simone!

May 8, 2006

I finished The Ancient Gods 2. Overall I liked it better than part one, in large part because it feels less malicious in its encounter design. Sound/music remain top tier and, assuming you like the changes they made in Doom Eternal, it's more and really good. The hammer is a great addition to the toolkit. It falls into some of the same traps as Part 1/the base game did as far as enemy design, though. The DLCs handle the story a lot better too, I wish that this had been how it was done in the base game. The platforming parts are still kind of superfluous - they even start adding armor pickups to the jumping path because they're aware they get a bit trial-and-error-y but they make up so little of the playtime I don't really mind them.

Spoilers for the base game and both DLCs: To start with the negative, my main issue is that every enemy addition requires a very specific solution. What works, imo, in Doom Eternal is that you have to balance the resource management game with what enemies are on the field and what you know about their specific behaviors and weaknesses on top of shooting and moving with precision. All of the new enemies basically seem to be a checklist of 'what weapon mods are underused according to our data.' I would be fine with every one of these enemies and their various weaknesses if they worked like the ones in base Eternal - options you can take advantage of. Even if it's not the most effective route you should generally still have the option of just dumping ammo into something if it seems for whatever reason to be the best move at the time. In fairness, it does even out the weapon mod pool in terms of usefulness so I can't say they didn't hit their apparent goal here.

They're all better than the marauder, though! I think the spirit is cool but the enemies it possesses get way too much extra health. The guys that are invincible until they drop their shield and you can headshot them are fine, the pillars with eyeballs are fine. The rock imps are okay and can sonic spindash into you which is pretty funny. It's sometimes too hard to tell them apart from the regular ones in a pitched fight, especially if they're covered in blood. The 'only take damage from behind' yellow shield guys weren't bad either but of all the new monsters they felt the most unnecessary. The armored barons are kind of a chore, they're not difficult to deal with but the combo of being beefy plus invincible in their armor can just make them seem to stick around far too long. They at least give you options in breaking the armor. The shriekers are a neat hazard. The white-and-gold floating turret enemies are also kind of nothing but they look weird and alien, especially mixed in with the demons, so I'm into it.

The DLC1 boss is a bit overly busy and kind of sucks, the DLC2 boss I liked a little bit more but it's still kind of boring. Since he's basically a big marauder he suffers from all the same problems, the worst among them being that even if you're trying to stay in the right range to bait his vulnerable attack sometimes he just will not do it. I ended up circle strafing around aimlessly in the later phases because he summoned so many large demons that I just had to wait it out until he summoned dogs to give you hammer juice.

I love the stupid lore but the base game was too in-the-know about it. The term is loaded now but I found it kind of cringeworthy. 2016 (and the Eternal DLCs) knew they were dumb and cool and didn't feel the need to have that bleed into what was presented in game, maybe outside of some of the codex notes. It's actually kind of a shame because the final 'No' from Doomguy would have absolutely whipped rear end if had been the first and only thing he said.

The good stuff is basically everything else - it's still a blast to play and it looks great. I especially love the swamp level in 1, and the reclaimed earth/big rear end battle in hell in 2. I spent a lot of time complaining but all of that amounts to problems around the edges for me. The core works and the new enemies usually slot into the encounters they present well. DLC2 even usually double marauders once (or maybe twice?) and it doesn't feel nearly as terrible as what might be the low point of the game - the double marauders with a buff totem locked in a cage encounter from DLC1.

I would like to revisit this game in the future and try to tackle Ultra Nightmare. I'm positive this isn't the last we will see of Doom but I wonder where you take it from here. I know Eternal's changes from 2016 were a bit cilantro, so I can't imagine a further doubling down on them would be the way to go for another sequel. I am glad we are in a renaissance of boomer shooters so there's no shortage of actually good shooters to play.

May 8, 2006

if you decide not to we will have to begin to refer to you as 'Walla, noted coward'

May 8, 2006

this is JUST like 1984 where big brother bleeped Winston every time he shouted a slur into his unbeknownst-to-him hot controller mic!!

May 8, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Streets of Rage 4 DLC announced baby!

The fight continues in Wood Oak City.

After the events of Streets of Rage 4, our heroes wanted to prepare themselves for future threats. Axel, Blaze and their mates will start a very special deranged training with the help of Dr. Zan, who built an AI program from the remnants of Mister X’s brain that simulates every kind of danger they could be facing.

With this new DLC, get ready for:

• 3 new playable characters
• A new Survival mode with weekly challenges
• Character customization: build your own fighting style with new moves
• New weapons and enemies!

Here's a trailer

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1380143599174742018?s=19

May 8, 2006

I'm a gamer and I have the personality of a full diaper

May 8, 2006

I said come in! posted:

What the flying gently caress, Timesplitters 2 has been hiding in plain sight on Steam as a 4K remaster port for years now and no one knew it.... hiding away on the game Homefront Revolution in its entirety, and people just now discovered this with the method for unlocking the entire game within Homefront Revolution https://steamcommunity.com/app/223100/discussions/0/3074244288359907040/

what the gently caress

May 8, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

lol yeah. I watched his entire Metal Gear Retrospective. You might know already but for the benefit of anyone that doesn't, he did the music for Umurangi Generation and it has an aesthetic

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1223500/Umurangi_Generation/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ7CFN2ZPZc

highly recommend this game btw

May 8, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Has anyone here played dark souls? Is it any good?

it's just a boring ripoff of god of war

May 8, 2006

dungeon siege 1-3

May 8, 2006

i'm actually only half-joking. this is fuzzy due to the mists of time but i recall the first two dungeons siege, at least, being a good sort of trash. it was basically a party-based hack and slash, and they were very long, so if you wanted a slower diablo where but you get to manage 4 or 5 characters (and maybe a donkey?) it was an alright time.

no clue how well or more likely poorly they hold up. I vaguely remember 3 trying to be a much more serious RPG that, among other things, labored under the delusion that anyone cared about the story or setting of dungeon siege.

May 8, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly Xenoblade X is sort of a strand game. You would have online lobbies of like 16 people who would never be in the same actual game instance but could complete gameplay missions to give everyone bonus EXP. There was also a logbook of every enemy in the game that would tell you how many players have defeated that enemy. I remember being like, the fourth person to kill one of the secret bosses. After that a bunch of people would post obscure boss locations and we would all get in on the ground floor to be in the top 10

I forgot about all the weird online poo poo in that game, XBCX loving rules

May 8, 2006

you're now hearing the frog casts water sound effect

May 8, 2006

I only play picross luna on my phone but I've almost completed all the puzzles so who knows after that

May 8, 2006

reggie needs to come to my house and deliver me a mother 3 translated gba cart in one of those big red pizza delivery bags

he clearly expects a tip but i remind him that more than 30 minutes and it's free

May 8, 2006

watermelon is good enough that you can just name it after the blandest thing that exists and people still want it

honeydew has to try and trick you with 'honey' because it sucks and you just eat around it in breakfast fruit medleys

May 8, 2006

i've dropped dozens of places in the national scrabble rankings now that my bread and butter, 19th century slurs against the Irish, are no longer legal

they were right. cancel culture came for us all

May 8, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Believe me I would if I could, HEYOOO

come on i've swiped right on you like 8 times

May 8, 2006

la croix is maybe the worst of the bubbled waters, save for possibly some store brands that i haven't tried.

clear american also sucks

May 8, 2006

anyone compiled a good list of stuff that might be worth getting/hard to get once the ps3 store dies?

May 8, 2006

xedo posted:

A GOOD list? No. But at the very least get yourself Tokyo Jungle!
Maybe also:
Rain
Puppeteer
Suikoden 1-4
Persona 2, 3 FES if you like Persona
Tales of Graces, Xillia, Xillia 2, and Symphonia Chronicles if you like Tales
MGS4. And the MGS HD collection.
Mega Man Legends 1, 2, Tron Bonne.
Drakengard 3 if you like pain.
I'm not sure to what degree the Infamous, Sly, Killzone, and Ratchet & Clank games are available outside PS3.

If you want a comprehensive list check out https://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/6ym1li/ps3_exclusivesnonpc_multiplatform_games_list/. Too much to point out, but look for the sections on PS3 Exclusives Not Remastered for PS4, Ps3 digital exclusives, and maybe the 7th gen games that haven't been ported forward (SOME of which will only be available on backwards compatible xbox). That page doesn't even address the ps1 and ps2 classics, most of which are about to become very very hard to find and super expensive.

nice, yeah, you know i own tokyo jungle - it's criminal that it's stuck on ps3 (at least in the west)

graces remains probably my favorite, but I like both Xillia games pretty well.

May 8, 2006

at some point during training in the army they made us watch 300 and write an essay about how it made us feel patriotic

May 8, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the most interesting thing this brings up is the idea of "streamer luck," where drop rates for popular streamers seem unusually high. It's always just been a meme, but if GGG have let this guy's team of people who boost him get queue-granting powers, that means they're already going into these people's individual accounts and giving them special permissions. Obviously they care a lot about the top streamers showing off endgame content, so is it really a stretch that they would boost drop rates if they're already doing queue-skipping on the front-end?

For the record, I'm not just talking about PoE here, I've always wondered if this was something tons of game devs did

i don't play poe because they never managed to patch in a fun beginning, but the 'streamer privilege' stuff comes up any time a game gets slammed and the big streamers all seem to get in. i always wondered if there was any truth to it because it makes sense from the company's perspective to keep their streamers playing. that's not really a huge deal, but i can imagine a lot of players getting turned off if they learned that the streamer crowd was just straight up getting a better experience for advertising reasons.

wasn't that the basis of those CSGO gambling scams, the streamers were getting rigged drops to give the impression you won rare skins all the time?

May 8, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

I'm sitting in a park playing acoustic guitar covers of the Kentucky Route Zero songs :)

It's a nice day out and I'm so glad my sinuses cleared up!!!

this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

awesome!

i took lessons on/played acoustic guitar for several years as a kid. i've considered picking it back up, because i remember it being fun, but the crushing weight of starting new things wins out every time