Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think we'll find a good car analogy

There is no good car analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nuclear War posted:

Are you sure you meant disturbing? Sounds "fitting" or even "hilarious"

I bet those nurses are laughing their asses off watching people die.

Edit:

TheWeedNumber posted:

Net positive for the gene pool. But holy poo poo is this insane and disturbing. I have empathy for them in the end, life’s precious. Theirs, not so much but it’s still sad.

Stating for the record that you think that this distinction is motivated by genetics and that those who have been fallen into an ideological belief at odds with objective truth have done so due to an inheritable trait and genealogical weakness that could have been avoided by better breeding. Interesting.

piL fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 6, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

They really are not, its pretty traumatic for them.

To be clear, I'm in agreement and was pointing out this position to the person I was quoting.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
There was an active shooter at Fort Detrick today.

https://news.usni.org/2021/04/06/active-duty-sailor-killed-after-shooting-2-adults-in-frederick-md-navy-confirms#more-84817

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

My read of that article is that the markets follow not today but the future. More accurately, they follow predictions of the future, and the predictions of the future have been that supply will rebound, demand will rebound and the economic situation will be better when it does.

But now, that's all baked in and there's less on the horizon to drive further optimism. There's not the obvious growth opportunity of market recovery in the future because it's already recovered, and there's not a source of optimism to follow it.

As various actors expend effort to catch up with the reopened economy, they won't be spending effort preparing for the future, so we should expect economic growth to remain slow, and the market to reflect that prediction.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

No dude I woke up and decided to attack, you were supposed to tell me, a doctor, that names are not unique identifiers.

I don't understand how that account keeps giving but it's hilarious.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Last time I discussed this in depth, I landed on, if you were going to do a federal police system the best bet may be ripping off Goldwater Nichols a bit and having the federal side stick with the 'man, train, and equip' function, with local governments providing operational directives. The benefit here is with rotating deployment system and a UCMJ of authority, stuff a cop does in one region, even if following orders, can haunt them later and the methods of policing can be enforced with clear guidance on following federal requirements and turning down orders when they violate federal regulations.

Biggest new downside I see there is a competition that is similar to geographic combatant commanders, with every region saying they need more and more money or forces, but that's no different than it is already. Of course, this hasn't been aggressively discussed, so I'm sure there are weaknesses in that idea I haven't considered yet.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

20 Blunts posted:

what happens with the US Navy going through the canal? im guessin that "baksheesh" doesn't fly? DC just keeps the Apaches coming?

This is why Fat Leonard existed and got away with stuff; it's difficult to formally request bribe money in the DoD.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I know corruption, as a word, leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, but I think the ethics probably also can't be separated from the ethics of what you're corrupting. Corruption is bad like a fever, not bad like a virus. It's the symptom--and probably sometimes the easiest economic solution to a problem.

Bribes are economic tools. They are abhorred by people living in countries that idealize (even if they often fail to achieve) fairness of courts, equality and equity, economic mobility, the legal and economic freedom for peoples to quit their job and get a new one, transparency in government and systems, and the ability of systems to be rationally altered to meet the need of their clients (i.e. democratic government, customer-oriented businesses). And if those ideals are being met, then they are probably unethical in those situations because they threaten all of those things by obfuscating economic systems.

But if the price of corruption is large international companies localize more of their wealth to those adjacent to the efforts, that gets more ethically complicated. There's no doubt great wrongs and nepotisms that likely occur within any regular system of bribery, but the unethical act may not be participation in a system of bribery by either participant, it may be a lack of aforementioned conditions (or whatever other conditions that I didn't just make up are). And that's why it's corruption. It's not a single bad actor, it's complicated and the "wrongness" of some participants could are probably the refusal to violate the sovereignty of a nation and reestablish their government in a way that can establish those conditions. Truth told, I'd prefer it if Maersk didn't do that. So then who's fault is it? Where do I point the finger?

Edit: It can also be unethical if you're civically oriented and are trying to participate or build such a society. On the far end of the spectrum would be bribery to achieve war aims against Nazis as pretty close to ethical bribery because pretty much everyone here would agree that undoing that society was a good thing. For the middle cases? I don't know that I'm well informed on the bureaucratic and political situation around the Suez to confidently specify an ethical position.

piL fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 15, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CainFortea posted:

That video is great, dunno why you should think they're kidding.

I was certainly confused since I knew the Hugo Award as an award for fiction and didn't know about the related material category or that YouTube was something they covered.

That's awesome though, Jenny Nicholson does good work.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Bring back night court.

24/7 courts working in shifts, assembly line style.

Enough with the television reboots already, lets see some new material.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Like you've never lost a bet

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

No, that’s a different guy.

loving A. :golfclap:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I suspect life expectancy of seagulls will drop precipitously in the next two years.

Iran doesn't have a lot to gain by hitting some aircraft on a ship that they couldn't have gotten from shooting an RPG or a missile at a ship, but a similar amount to lose.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Evidence the stock market is fraudulent: stocks not available on public markets.

The stock market isn't fraudulent any more than a chair or a drive can be fraudulent. It's not a statement. Whomever tried to convince you that the stock market represents the economy or whatever it is you think it represents--they were the frauds.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CainFortea posted:

Yes, that is what "the stock market is fraudulent" means. Unless you are honestly considering the idea that someone was trying to claim that it doesn't exist at all and is a hoax played on everyone.

In which case that's a dumb consideration.

Oh, well, I'm sorry you believed something wrong and felt betrayed by that. Next time something comes up that you don't understand, I recommend looking it up. It'll help provide context for the described events that reference it and help you discern how trustworthy the particular source you're examining is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

That is correct, the only way we'd get chuds to get vaccinated would be to hypodermic dart them, zookeeper style.

Sure, one CoA is to pay the people you want vaccinated, but let's examine all the options to efficiently use that money. What about letters of marquee?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In other fascism news:

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1387537560100999170

When you're pining for the good old days of De Gaulle and Guerre d'Algérie :france:

The letter in question.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bulletsponge13 posted:

You do the right thing because it's right. Not because you like it, agree with it, or want to.

Sorry I just dumped my purse. Lmao

Pour away bulletsponge, you're good people, your words are useful and we're all ears. Thank you for posting.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

brains posted:

am i missing something or did Greenberg admit a sexual crime with a minor to Stone, who then did nothing except try to grift off it? Is he not an accessory after the fact?

I don't think so because the he didn't assist in evading or hiding the crime, he just didn't report it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

Would offering to broker the pardon play into that though?

I dunno, I'm not a lawyer. I just remember being guilty of crimes you don't report being unique aspects of the military and/or Stalinist Russia. Our society isn't structured that way unless there are specific reporting laws for specific situations (i.e. health practitioners and rape in California or hiding a felon from the police).

Edit: my intuition is still no, because its not evading the police or detection, but in securing pardon which is sort of past all of that down the line.

piL fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Not to "actually" this, but if you have knowledge of a Federal crime and don't report it, you can be indicted. Up to 3 years Federal prison. It's called misprision. The "conceals" part usually means any efforts to hide it. Such as disappearing texts I would assume.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/4

E: it's a rare indictment though. Here's some good reading if you're bored.

https://www.whitecollarbriefly.com/2017/06/07/9th-circuit-clarifies-elements-of-misprision-of-felony/

I appreciate that and it's really interesting. According to that second article though, it still requires "affirmative steps to conceal the crime of the principal". I assume going about your day and not telling anyone wouldn't count as an affirmative step, but I also I suspect that, if questioned by law enforcement about it, saying you didn't know would count as an affirmative step. Again, I don't really know.