Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

facialimpediment posted:

The best part here is that the crowd is making the proper noises at the proper times.

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1378198648878739456

That woman is crAzy brave to pick up a confused feral cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I thought I read somewhere that certain stadiums keep colonies of barn cats to keep down the rats so they kinda should have a plan to deal with them. Apparently the plan is send out some schmuck with no gauntlets or net. Hope the health insurance plan is adequate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

38 year old 3rd class. Well I guess I know why he was so angry but it sucks for his poor victims.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

There is no way in hell or earth that I wouldn't try and pet forbidden bodega kitty.

Pet/feed it’s all the same to Mr Bitey.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I should check out my local VFW. I think I qualify now and it could be a hoot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A poo poo ton of them died in WW2.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think it's OCONUS service now so Germany, Japan, Korea, etc.

E: their website has some expired poo poo but here's the relevant part from their own broke cookie batch

http://www.vfw.org/join/eligibility

Sweet I got a week or two of imminent danger pay. Skate on through.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The cops said that while pointing his gun at the guy not his taser.

They get em confused sometime. Oopys doodle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

The easy solution you'll never see.

If you are carrying less lethal, you only carry LL. You keep your big boy toys in the car. Your partner has a gun. He is secondary.

It's not like this is new. Some police textbooks in the 50s advocated having only one officer armed, and the Contact Officer unarmed to ease community worries. The Cover officer just provided overwatch- if any of you have dealt with EPWs, Detainees, or ECPs in theater, this might sound familiar. But no. Lets pay the mentally ill six figs a year to power trip and murder.

yeah we've had bean bag shotguns (it's a shotgun painted orange) for decades but you rarely ever seen them deployed. like they can still kill but it's less likely.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

We have those. We have Bolowraps. We have 36 flavors of tazer type weapons. Maybe my Grunt mind is fried from doing the same job in Baghdad, but if you feel you can't do a cop's job without a gun, you shouldn't carry one.

I've seriously had enough and would prefer a new branch added to the DOD to take over all domestic LE. We nees to have standards and responsibility. Right now, we pay them to subugate.

coast guard but for land.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s been pointed out it’s legal in that state.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I know that when we abolish police, the municipal, state, and federal funds that were going to the police are just magically gone and can't be used for social programs that help people.

Just a hundred billion dollars a year will disappear from this country.

Taxes would be lowered so corporations can create affordable private security for the wealthy 10% to afford.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think the current problem with saying “abolish” is that people read/hear that as it’s common usage of “get rid off” instead of totally reset/reform.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

I don't think it's particularly feasible to persuade/educate the broader public that "abolish" actually means "totally reset and reform" in this context.

If you're chatting with a neighbor you're on good terms with and they express confusion and doubt about the phrase "abolish the police", you don't try browbeat them into submission and demand they educate themselves (I hope). If a plain-English reading understandably creates confusion, why not change the messaging?

I completely agree with this. You could fire all current officers into the sun and Cop-God would recognize his own and save the good 1%.

Some realistic ideas I had while thinking about it would be a wild waste of funds to actually fire them into the sun.

National register for being able to be a police officer.

Simple things like de-incentive violence. Got a shooting good or bad? There’s plenty of other jobs out there for you. Congrats you either retired or fired. Use of force greater than hands? 10 usages and it’s the farm for you.

Make a national academy mandatory but allow hiring locally. Standards for training shouldn’t be different across the states. Subsidize trainings for poor states/districts/counties. Perhaps make it like the military with basic training(emphasis on law) first with a follow up social care. At that point peel off a small percentage for armed work.

This loving shift won’t end.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Into The Mild posted:

I think the portion he's talking about is the non-white portion...

Biker “clubs” were just mentioned.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not a choice we have to make thanks to El Jefe :911:

Well i didnt like the comics he posted in the Comic thread anyways. Somehow almost all the ones they posted were terrible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Applied by the knee of the officer I suppose

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Why is Maxine being taken seriously as an excuse after 4 years of Trump lying constantly and saying the most illegal things on conduct?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

The lumber poo poo's getting so weird that lumber yards are selling wood back to their suppliers. Like a yard ordering a whole bunch of wood from a distributor, then they find out they'd make more money selling the poo poo back to the distributor.

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1385794876948848643

gently caress. Has this affected construction yet? I'd imagine this will slow down new houses quite a bit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The navy base on Crete has Pabst, yeunling and anchorsteam so really that covers whole US from coast to coast.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hannibal posted:

What sort of stuff do you want to look at? Light pollution is not always a problem. I live near DC and do astrophotography and it's mostly fine. Planets are visible just about anywhere (horizon is usually the issue) and of course the Moon is doable regardless.

The amateur astronomy thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

Ever make it to one of the open nights for the telescope at the USNO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hannibal posted:

I feel you, but you'd be surprised what's possible (even just with visual).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4AGAXEVd4zWiHtEw7 is most of my astrophotography, almost all done here in MD except for some Milky Way stuff shot out in Colorado (where it was just amazing).

Platystemon's advice about starting with binocs is good too. That is the usual recommendation for a starting point so you don't go blow hundreds of dollars on a scope. Or, you can step up into a 8" Dobsonian, they're easy to use and fairly cheap. It's really only when you get into the high-fidelity tracking and photography aspects that things get stupid expensive.

I didn't know they did open nights - I remember thinking once it would be a cool place to visit, and I do have a CAC... just don't know anyone there. Maybe I should find some PNT related work.

Uh yeah if you are mil you can just go in and ask for a tour of the mini museum and see the historical library. The rare book collection is small but stunning. Monday through Friday there’s usually a sailor raising the flag and he can point you to the library and displays. Library may not open right away but the schedule will be posted on the door. The historian there will most likely know the dates for the future open house nights.

For you Pensacola weenies don’t forget that Corry Station has a small but nice crypto musuem including a Japanese to German enigma machine. It’s behind the OIC office you gotta ask for the key from the front desk.