Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I guess CMLL can breathe a bit easier that it's only gonna win second place in worse promotion voting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

Can he bring Dick Togo with him?

As annoying as they have become I do not wish WWE on EVIL or Dick Togo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Post-Mania NXT https://www.f4wonline.com/nxt-results/wwe-nxt-live-results-takeover-stand-deliver-fallout-338631

Santos Escobar issues an open challenge answered by KUSHIDA
KUSHIDA defeats Santos and wins the cruiserweight title. Postmatch backstage Jordan Devlin confronts KUSHIDA

KUSHIDA left New Japan cause he couldn't get out of the JR division and lol he stuck in the minor leagues with cruiserweight title now. What a terrible decision

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Looking forward to Vince starting a feud with the NHL cause of the AEW number

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't think Vince will ever sell the company but I would not be shocked if it gets sold a year or two after he passes. I don't see the remaining family having the kinda of pull Vince does over shareholders or refusing money

And given how the company keeps falling upwards I can easily see someone making a big money offer. Probably NBC Universal

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Raw and Smackdown are still good ratings but if AEW keeps above a million it'll obviously be a much better target both cost and content wise

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

I’m sure that wwe will try to put another show on Wednesday to stem AEW ratings.

Oh WWE 100% wants another show on Wed and never wanted to move, but the NHL going to US forced it and while it doesn't do wrestling ratings it's close enough to NXT and does better ad rates. So WWE is in a pickle right now as they want a Wed show on TV super bad but no real place to put it unless maybe FS1 frees up a slot but given how in bed WWE is with Peacock that probably has a bunch of hurdles to clear

MassRafTer posted:

Smackdown is really borderline right now. It's demos are generally tied for 2nd on the night, and this week they were third losing to a CBS show. But even still, given the money invested in it if Fox or NBC could buy WWE for 5 billion they absolutely would and it would be a good deal given the nature of television.

But if AEW is doing .4-.5 demos going forward that TNT contract is going to look like even more of a bargain. And while it's a bargain it came at the perfect time for AEW so I doubt they mind too much.

TNT tearing up the AEW TV deal is low key one of the bigger Wrestling stories of 2020 for a variety of reasons, the big one giving AEW a revenue source to ride out the pandemic and grow. If they didn't get it I don't think they go out of business but they probably don't end up signing a bunch of talent and probably have to end up cutting the roster too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Who’s the funniest person Disney/Amazon/whatever could hire to run a newly acquired WWE?

Gabe Sapolsky

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Blaise330 posted:

I admit I'm a hypocrite cause I woulda bitched about it but I'm SO disappointed they didnt go "OMG THATS DIO AND DOMINIK"

WWE isn't quite desperate enough to claim they have anyone close to the charisma of Dio Brando

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Fiend anime is real

Probablyt wouldn't even be the worst Crunchyroll original either SMH

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

njsykora posted:

That's the really terrifying thing, that enough people watch Crunchyroll Originals for it to be worth commissioning more.

Anyway NBC are very happy with our numbers, they said we can't show you the numbers but please trust us that they're very good numbers.
https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1385348466109558786

EX Arm's Quality is picture perfect for WWE!

Also lol not wanting the numbers out. Must be very good, very huge yes!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Kofimania

getting the only good matches out of the fiend Bray Wyatt

Doppleganger Rowan

WEED BELT

Getting Big Cass fired

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stolen from the Social Media thread

https://twitter.com/raulisonline/status/1385390876206112770

Yup this sure is some rogue employee and not company policy that someone finally had the guts to call them out on.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jon probably misread what the trash bag meant when he got his stuff back from his final All Japan run

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Of all the moves Bryan could do I'm not sure what would be worse, resigning with WWE or working current CMLL

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

I've been thinking about the decline of wrestling in the early 2000s and how it's blamed on many different things, Stone Cold turning heel, the mishandled Invasion etc, but I think i've stumbled on a bigger reason and the reason I haven't seen it mentioned much is because for decades WWE has written their own history and wrestling journalists were pretty poo poo until a few years ago and many of them are still poo poo so they just towed the line and repeated the narrative.

The main reason WWE booked itself into a losing situation with heel Austin is because they genuinely thought that the Rock was going to fail in Hollywood and be back within 6 months. Everthing they booked is based around this and it took them over a year to realize the Rock wasn't coming back in any full time capacity ever again. They had no top guy waiting, and they pushed no one as a definitive top guy that entire time because they were so loving dumb thinking, and hoping the Rock would fail in Hollywood, maybe because Hogan did, but Hogan is a total loving moron who only appeals to other moron's and the Rock had charisma and was humble from all accounts in his early acting days which lead to him becoming tight with that industry and getting more opportunities. They really had so much confidence and self hatred that they thought breaking out of their little bubble was impossible and they never even tried to have a plan B, and it killed their momentum for good.

WWE misjudge Rock and Hollywood and came back to bite them in the rear end but it really didn't affect the Austin heel run being awful as he was still around on a mostly full time schedule for the next couple years. And it really didn't stop the decline the Austin heel turn caused

The funny thing is the WCW invasion angle 100% could of stopped the decline and rebuilt business and kept things going but of course we saw how that ended up. Mania 18 and 19 kinda of hid the decline as the product still seemed hot but it was a mask and than the Rock leaving full time after the Goldberg feud ripped that mask clean off and whelp

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Reality Protester posted:

She's Dean Malenko

Dean Malenko had lots of classic matches and was involved in the best WCW cruiserweight angle. Natalaya is just....there

She's much more a Dolph Ziggler

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder why they didn't just scoop up Sendai Girls and Big Japan and combine them since they were friendly with Daisuke and Meiko.

WWE buying a company in Japan would be more about using an established name to both make an impact and also to make it easier to do long term business with arenas/touring/signing talent. Buying a smaller company wouldn't help accomplish that

I think NXT Japan is probably dead and buried and WWE will just focus on trying to sign Japanese talent and bury them in NXT/performance center but Covid is leaving a potential door open. Ticket sales cratering and TV money being non existent in Japan means a lot of companies are suffering and while Bushiroad/Cyberagent will probably be able to weather it other might not be. I could see if Japan isn't able to run full building till next year that a company like All Japan may look at WWE money and bite on it even if it'd probably run off most of it's fanbase

Though odds are if WWE is looking to try take over a market thats fallen due to Covid it's probably going to look at Mexico first where both CMLL and AAA are very much in trouble for very different reasons

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It got public and is the type of scandal that matters in Japanese media. Plus Taka wasn't home grown so it was probably easier to let him go than say someone who went up through the Dojo system

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kenny/Bucks didn't help Harold in some parts of the company but what really did him in was feuding with Chono and causing him to go work with NOAH which pissed of pretty much everyone in the office. And with his contract being so expensive that did him in even if he did have some major wins on the merchandise side

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna be something when she tries to do Rush brawling spots next!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

money's not as good and the travel sucks even for a short dude like him. Harold Meij's NJPW def undervalued foreign talent too.

He'd like Master Wato right now for Taguchi Japan which actually sadly is still better than how's being used in WWE

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

AEW can't sign Cole though as he's dead in that universe

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Have to love letters/posts that are meant to prove innocence but end up being a smoking gun for being 100% guilty

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get the feeling this is more Khan trying to centralize power than cuts to keep Stockholders happy

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE really feels like an unholy combination of being a "wrasslin" company run by a promoter but also a modern publicly traded company. Both can be awful to work for, but combined together seems like just next level horrid

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I'll laugh if this somehow results in Khan wresting control of the WWE away from HHH & Steph in the end

AEW beating NXT every week causing HHH to lose out on taking over the company would be an amazing ending

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean WWE already does it with some entries that are boardline anyways so why not go all in?

Now the Observer Hall is going to be the interesting one as the guys with the best shot right now (Orton and Edge) have pretty much ruined their chances of getting in over the next few years. After that who has a real chance? Even NXT guys you might want to sell on work rate have cooled off with the show getting destroyed by AEW. Plus also how are you going to induct an NXT guy in on workrate when Ishii still isn't in the hall....

We may not see a WWE guy in the Observer hall at all over the next 10 years

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

I doubt he was getting in anyway but boy did Edge torpedo his case this year.

Thing is I could see votes overlooking the Orton feud cause of Covid messing everything up but the Roman mania feud bombing so bad they had to add Bryan into save it pretty much killed his chances.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That makes a lot more sense on the New Japan side, working out an individual date on a guy is not close to having a working relationship. But also lol if Bryan bites on it when he can do it now and also use working NJPW/AEW on his own to drive up the price on a WWE contract next year

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1398353159567941636

Yeah that makes a lot of sense from the WWE side. It's not about working with New Japan more as a way to keep Bryan away from AEW

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Funniest thing about everything this past week is that it's clearly shown that Nick Khan is way better at this game than HHH is/was. Finally someone has buried the shovel

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

the last sensational rumor I heard was the longterm plan was to become a NBC product.

I mean given how in bed WWE is with USA and Peacock that probably is the end game and I could see it happening super quickly if Vince dies or if the money is big enough

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm actually a bit shocked at the amount of power Khan has gotten as it seems like he's taken over some of Vince's power too on the business side

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vince managing to pass the blame on to other when releasing talent is amazing though this time it may have some truth to it cause of Khan

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

There’s still that fact that if he liked you or saw anything in you, you wouldn’t constantly be buried.

Vince has no spine whatsoever.

In a way the product right now probably is what Vince ideal vision of wrestling is. WWE doesn't need to pay attention to PPV/House show gates and change on the fly as all the money is guranteed. TV contract being locked in means ratings really don't matter. Vince can now push the product he wants all the time and doesn't need to change anything based on any feedback

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't think Nick is involved in creative beyond probably making it easier for WWE to get in outside celebrities like Bad Bunny

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

xbilkis posted:

Three guys with equally bright futures in WWF

hahahahahahah

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's a Holiday weekend where a lot of people are going to be able to go out relatively safely for the first time in awhile so I wouldn't put to much stock in this number as the new trend. Now if they keep around that level especially with the NBA playoffs on well than whelp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna bet that Labor Day Raw will have a third hour lower than 980,000 (TNA's final number on Spike)