Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Lol...Edge, even with Roman draped on his back, managed to pin Daniel Bryan and win the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

They've been building up Cesaro vs. Roman and I think what happened after the match was effective in that.

But this storyline absolutely hinges on Cesaro beating Roman. If he doesn't, this will be a complete waste.

Cesaro isn't beating Roman, Meltzer's been told that they're pretty much saving Roman for either Brock or the Rock. Which, as they love to do, pretty much books them into a corner if neither of those two want to do a run with the title (and they don't), since they've devalued everyone else like they always do.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Hirez posted:

lol the Rock will never wrestle again so Roman is gonna be champ until Brock needs some money... Probably the next blood money show where he'll get like 5mil lol

It's very on brand for the WWE to set up their heel champion for two feuds..without actually checking to see if either of the people that would be involved are actually interested in doing it or not.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

GrimGypsy posted:

i mean the funniest possible thing is somehow this is the way vince convinces punk to come back, it would probably be hot dogshit but it would definitely be very funny

Asian American / Pacific Islander month started yesterday, and given how this company treats black wrestlers during black history month, there's a non-zero chance that Vince tears up the plans and has Roman drop the title to like Otis or something.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Is this week three or four of “Alexa wants to start a feud with someone”

Only 37 more weeks, and she'll break Aleister Black's record!

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Pylons posted:

It's complicated. Their best bet was to force their foot in the door by buying a relatively big Japanese promotion - they've tried to buy NOAH, but NOAH merged with DDT's parent company, Cyberfight, they tried to buy AJPW but Jun Akiyama wasn't able to travel to the US to take the guest coaching job at the PC (and Akiyama has since joined DDT), they tried to buy STARDOM, but STARDOM got bought by Bushiroad (I believe Rossy Ogawa made the choice to sell to Bushi rather than WWE?). They have an in with Sendai Girls through Meiko Satomura and thats a good start but they'd need more of a roster. They have a decent office and production staff because apparently Harold Meij drove a bunch of people out of New Japan during his tenure there.

Harold Meij is the reason that Kenny left NJPW, he's on record as saying that he would never do anything with New Japan as long as Harold was there.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

What's the issue with Harold Meij?

The story of what exactly the problem was varies, and Kenny/The Bucks (who are also on record as feeling the same way Kenny does about him) have never directly said. But a MAJOR issue was that Kenny was the NJPW champion, had just had that series of matches with Okada, etc. and Meij refused to sign him to anything more than a 'handshake deal', kept loving him around on a new contract, and in general treated him and the Bucks like they were second-class citizens, despite Kenny being their champion. Kenny in particular said that the constant contract situation and the handshake deal meant that he couldn't really provide the Japanese government with proof that he had a stable job in Japan, and that hosed with his residency/citizenship. He was the NJPW champion, constantly in fear of being sent back to Canada.

Edit: I ran that by my wife, who's half-japanese and has worked in mostly Japanese-run companies, and she said that it sounded like Meij was from that era of "this is a Japanese company, and only Japanese things/employees matter, and foreigners should just be happy to be there", and that getting a Japanese company to put anything down on paper is really, really difficult if you're not Japanese.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 16, 2021

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Insertnamehere31 posted:

This is weird to me because isn’t Meij Dutch? And wasn’t Meij’s whole thing that he was too focused on the international market that the rest of the njpw brass clashed with him for not focusing on the home market enough? Seems unlikely that he would be the driving force in not committing contract wise to gaijin while simultaneously putting the big belt on Kenny.

From what I gather, Meij was VERY good at the finances part of things, not so much with everything else. By his own admission, he studied how the Japanese did business before going to NJPW, and I guess he went too far in that area in order to fit in...he never really understood what business he was in, and his plans for the international market appear to be "whatever popped into his head at the moment, based on assumptions that had no basis in reality." I looked around, and it's fair to say that it wasn't just Kenny/the Bucks, many people in NJPW were happy that he left.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Blaise330 posted:

"Suddenly, Ricochet jumped Sheamus from behind. He then put on Sheamus's hat and jacket. Sheamus was furious and chased after Ricochet."

Why do babyfaces keep stealing hats and crowns and clothes? Are they poor? Is Cameron Grimes a heel because he can afford his own clothes instead of stealing?

Hey, did you see the effort Nakamura put into lifting that heavy rear end crown?!?! He deserves to keep it.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Their second choice after Cardi A :dadjoke:

To be fair, at least she was a wrestling fan, so she understands what it is that she's hosting.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

lol I just turned on the DVR recording for smackdown because... I dunno

I just realized how ridiculous it is for Roman Reigns to have a highlights reel music video produced just so he can watch it with his cousin to yell at him

edit: :lol: they keep finding more ridiculous places to show roman lounging around watching a screen

edit 2: :lmao: Big E and KO tag team?? Why the gently caress did they take Big E out of New Day if they're gonna do this?!

No, you see, Big E and Black started a feud that they apparently had no plan for other than "you two are in a feud now" and then they released Black and now they have no plan, not that they ever do.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

lol I see Roman has another lovely choke finish.

Smackdown is so hosed. So, assuming that Cena does come back for Summerslam, we either get: Roman goes over because, let's be honest, Roman vs. The Rock at 'Mania is the match they REALLY want...or Cena wins and then drops the belt back to Roman at Survivor Series so that they can get to the Rock match, if he even wants to do it. In the meantime, there are no believable challengers for the belt, neither Cena nor The Rock are going to do a run with the title (although Cena is probably more likely than the Rock is), and there's no reason for anyone to care. And the "family drama" is pointless, because at no point are Jay or Jimmy getting a win over Roman.

I'm aware that i've put more thought into this than anyone involved has.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Roman has openly talked up Drew so yeah I think that's probably the direction.

Or it might be if Vince ever planned anything in advance and his brain wasn't mush

Last Meltzer heard, they REALLY want The Rock vs. Roman at 'Mania. Like, that's what all their planning is leading to, except that no one's actually bothered to ask The Rock if he actually wants to do it..and he sure as hell isn't going to do a run with the title, so I look forward to Roman vs. (rolls dice) Nikki A.S.H.. Because why not, at least she's under contract.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 16, 2021

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Shouldn't Xia Li be brought up with...whatever that's guy's name was, and the female Shao Kahn? I didn't watch much of old NXT.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

shiksa posted:

tell ya what man i feel really bad abt Shane strickland. guy was like, my absolute favorite on the indies, i walk around most cold days with a jean jacket that has a shane Strickland shirt back patch. im really sad the one time I saw him was in mlw and the match was some dumb angle and he didn't even come out to "ain't nobody" just a sound alike

and now he's as good as dead on the main roster bc he's in a stable with a guy who's bigger than him and is absolutely shameless about scrapping with people in the rival company on twitter and doing absurd ring kissing soundbites like this. altho I guess getting put on the 205 live list was only sign of bad things to come.

Yeah, I loved Shane when he was Killshot in LU.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

LOL Killer Kross had the worst loving run in history.

As it turns out, off-brand Zardoz is not a winning character.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

When Reigns was on Fallon, Fallon teased Roman vs. The Rock so that dogshit match is probably happening. The Rock I have never liked at all and it will be hilarious for WWE to just have Roman go over cleanly making it official that he has beaten every single person in undisputed fashion they could ever possibly build to with their roster of zero stars.

Roman’s not losing that belt at least for another 3 years and I have no idea how they’re going to reconcile that reality with the fact that they need to fill arenas and get viewers. WWE will be making record profits with an untelevised show that doesn’t have live viewers like Tesla makes billions while producing nothing.

I legit think that they're trying to put pressure on The Rock/make him out to be the bad guy when it doesn't happen. Meltzer/Alvarez have said repeatedly that The Rock has a shitload of stuff to film over the next few years, and simply isn't all that interested in coming back, no matter what the WWE implies.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Finish to North American Title Match - Carmelo Hayes vs. Pete Dunne vs. Johnny Gargano>>Gargano ate the pin so might he be All Elite?
https://streamja.com/gOm4w
Ciampa came out with a chair, brawl ensued. BRON BREAKKER came out to even the odds which is clearly leading to WAR GAMES

I know this comes up every time, but the million camera cuts legit made me nauseous.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

quote:

So the babyfaces get the advantage heading into War Games. That not how War Games usually works, but whatever.

They did that last year with the women's War Games (I think) too, and it briefly broke Meltzer. A lot of "So, it's going to be the numbers game for the faces, but then the heel comes in to save the heel in peril, which makes the heels the faces..since the idea is to get a pop from the crowd when the save happens...so the faces are the heels, since they're doing two-on-one beatdowns, but also they're the faces..."

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 1, 2021

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Renaissance Spam posted:

Pretty much. The fact Dwayne didn't even make them a video for Survivor Series is a pretty big red flag that Rock isn't guaranteed, but nothing is impossible.

Meltzer has said that The Rock has a shitload to film in the next few years, and that's without him possibly adding the last Fast and Furious to his schedule, and isn't interested in coming back. Yet, they keep going forward with that plan anyway, like somehow the "WWE magic" is going to convince him to do it.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They really are trying to shame the Rock into appearing, aren't they?

That's entirely what the name-dropping was on the pre-SS talk shows was, yes.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

Broken Matt and Brother Nero actually caused a ton of new or lapsed eyes to watch TNA or it’s YouTube. People still do the “delete” chant in various feds. Hell I still remember Vanguard 1, HMS Skaarsgard and King Maxel just off the top of my head. I watched TNA for years though and it, like WWE, was often about finding the golden nugget in a wheelbarrow of poop. For every X Division, Broken Matt, Professor Kevin Nash, Jeff Jarrett wrestling toddlers or the occasional good womens matches you had even more moments like Tito Ortiz pose, Aron Rex, Dixie Carter pregnancy, Hogan, little people spanking it in trash cans, more Dixie Carter and “my vag!” Land of contrasts. Booking was “occasionally” better than current WWE, music was about the same as current wwe but at least there was not a million camera cuts and you didn’t support genocide watching it. ROH, Japan and CHIKARA were better but alternatives were slim back in the day. Funny enough the same Dexter stalker guy had the same gimmick in TNA as he did NXT. So glad AEW is around.

My wife, who's not a wrestling fan so much as in the room on her phone while I watch, is a HUGE Vanguard 1 fan. Like a "tell me if the drone shows up" fan when Matt first appeared in AEW. It's a little weird, but at least she found a character that resonates with her?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Every time I say Charlotte's moonsault can't get any worse I end up being proven wrong.

https://twitter.com/DEVrockstarr/status/1469492873477435392?t=KKCwIXgNDzTuEzFY8IbZeQ&s=19

That's Andrade's move (among others, i'm sure) but he, you know, actually hits it.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I just want the Heyman/Reigns/Lesnar thing to turn into a Monty Python sketch. Heyman turns on Lesnar to rejoin Reigns. But Lesnar planned for that to happen, and Heyman turns on Reigns. But Reigns planned for Lesnar to plan for Heyman to turn on Lesnar, so Heyman turns on Lesnar again. But then Lesnar planned for Reigns to plan for him to plan for Heyman to turn....just back and forth every week until 'Mania.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Cavauro posted:

here's another strategy. you put the sandwich in the dip. brisket bacon beef and swiss

Oh, gently caress you for putting that in my head. Not as good as "I want curly fries", though.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

Sting is 62 and doing some of the most fun and entertaining poo poo of his career

not saying bringing back stone cold is a good idea, just saying some of these guys aged much better than others

Sting also has access to a company that gives a poo poo.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Blaise330 posted:

Brock does rule. His last contract signing with Roman... during another different wrestlemania build.... where he was also against Roman.... and not for the first time either... involved him throwing an entire table at Roman.

The way he just smokes that dude with the office chair is amazing.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I'm no boxing expert but are your fists just supposed to flop around like that

This was the end for her in MMA, when Ronda decided that she was somehow going to win fights with her striking. Which looked like that.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

You know how WWE gives different outlets "scoops" on minor things?

https://twitter.com/WWEPR/status/1506334198629609473

They gave one to ThisIsNasty. Even better than some cheese.

If he got a million dollars, he'd do two chicks at the same time.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Shard posted:

Cody's comment about Tony going down in the history books for bankrolling aew is passive aggressive and is trying to rewrite history as if Tony hasn't booked some of the best wrestling television ever.

Also Cody sounds dismissive of himself. Didn't he like to go on about how he built the forbidden door and create the alternative. What does he actually believe the narrative is?

He honestly thought that Tony was going to bankroll AEW and that he was going to be the lead booker for it. This was never discussed, according to everyone else involved, Kenny/Bucks, etc. everyone knew that Tony was in charge. And also odd because the Bucks were the main people Tony reached out to, they brought Kenny in, and Cody was hesitant about it until the very last second. They were happy to let him be the public face of AEW, because they didn't want to do it, but he was never as "in" as the others were.

Tony WAS letting Cody book his own stuff, hence the Codyverse, until (according to interviews) Cody started going off the rails with it and doing stuff that made no sense. Like the segment where Brandi came out, insulted the crowd, acted like a heel and got the crowd solidly against her...and then Dan Lambert came out and said stuff about her...Tony was reported as going "this makes no sense. Brandi's the heel? And Lambert, who's been a heel this whole time, is suddenly the face?" and Cody was like "No, she's the babyface."

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 3, 2022

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

CarlCX posted:

I will be thoroughly shocked if there isn't another world title equivalent on Raw within two months.

Stephanie has already said in an interview that they're not sticking to the unified belt, because both networks want a "world champion" on their show.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Here's how it typically works (I go over entertainment contracts all the time in my line of work), and WWE is similar from what I've heard: Non-competes are mainly just the option of collecting pay for an agreed-upon period instead of going somewhere else. Releasing talent means a full contractual release, but Terms of Release can be negotiated either before or when they're let go. Most talent take the money because it's better than competition can offer up front, and it gives time to rest and refocus at home.

If a clause is broken and the company is petty enough to sue, non-competes still generally don't hold up in court, especially if you're classified as an independent contractor like WWE does (which is how they avoid health benefits & travel expenses). BUT, ex-talent and the competing promotions usually comply anyway because it's a good idea to not burn bridges or risk potential court processes. So unless a talent's upside potential is massively high and the competition is willing to unload truckloads of money to get them slightly earlier, there are just too many reasons to stick with a non-compete over debuting a bit sooner.

Sometimes there are weird exceptions like WWE forgetting to upgrade Tommy End's contract from 30 days after NXT. Though I'm not sure whether he sat on the information about their error so he could move on sooner, or because he figured they'd stop paying him once they caught it. In Sasha's case, the only company that could possibly match her offer and pay her what she can demand right now is AEW, so both can afford to wait a few months anyway - Sasha knows she can negotiate, and Tony Khan knows she's probably not getting a better offer.

From the way he described it on Renee's podcast, Tommy made it sound like they discovered that they had hosed up the 30/90 day switchover before he got released, and he kinda made it a point to always be somewhere else or not answer the phone when they tried to talk about it.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Yes, he's like public enemy number 1 to Stephanie and Triple H. It'll be a miracle if he survives an entire year at this point. Especially since Triple H has Jeremy Borash ready to go in NXT, or Nick Khan can just call in someone that he knows who won't dance on top of the camera switches constantly.

Yeah, it's been noted repeatedly that Stephanie, in particular, HATES Kevin Dunn.

DarkstarIV posted:

Normally I would agree, but Vince made the one mistake you never, ever want to make even as a rich person. loving with other rich peoples' money. Including firms who have way more money than he does.

Someone noted that long-time rear end in a top hat Jerry McDevitt was involved in the NDA's and the payouts to the victims, so i'd imagine he's got some explaining to do as well.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Rick posted:

If they're really just keeping the wheels moving until they can sell (which they may have been doing before anyway) then I don't think anything is going to change any time soon. But who knows.

Steph has already said publicly that they're not going to change anything for a while, as they need to reassure the shareholders that everything is fine with the company. And if you're a shareholder (which, let's be honest, is all they really care about), then continuing to put on terrible shows is irrelevant. Making a fuckload of money like they have been is what you care about.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

Miz vs. Logan Paul was okay. Paul did some cool poo poo.

Every so often they stumble onto someone who makes you go "huh, there's actually something there." Like Snooki during that one Wrestlemania, or Logan Paul here.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Looking at the last non COVID year in 2019, WWE made 259.0 million in profit. However, that’s WITH them getting $50M for the Saudi PPVs as a revenue stream that would be gone if Saudi Arabia bought it. Okay, so even if you say they made $250M per year, the companies market cap is about 6.5 Billion. If that’s what an investor buys WWE for, status quo means it’s 26 years just to break even on the purchase. I am not sure in what world that’s considered a good investment because Roman Reigns is not going to be wrestling at 62 years old and at some point you have to create new stars.

Wasn't there something about how the WWE hadn't actually gotten much of the Saudi money that they were supposed to have gotten?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

bartok posted:

I think The Lords of Salem is Rob Zombie's best film. After that it seems like he just gave up and made some of his worst poo poo like 31, Three From Hell, and The Munsters.

Lords of Salem is good, but the novelization he wrote of the film is better. Rob wrote it as a "director's cut" of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

Wow, I haven't watched wwe in forever. Dominik is unrecognizable.

Prison changes a man.