Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Armitage posted:

Jimmy Uso at this point is like Barney being thrown out of Moe's tavern.

I over waiting for someone to work out that you beat Roman by having a friend take out Jey.

WWE heat and cheating sucks when it's the same thing every time.

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1381458676624486401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's kind of funny how much they've stopped caring about making things look special or finished well or whatever. I feel like if this was in another era of WWE, they wouldn't have had such an obvious door on the back of the box (like structure) or the basic-rear end caster wheels on the bottom.

Had to click through - holy poo poo those are such ridiculously cheap touches.

Tato posted:

Meanwhile Lashley lost the opportunity to have his cronies at Wrestlemania and responded by....beating Drew clean in the middle of the ring? Weird booking to get there.

Nah, there was interference of MVP shouting at his charge....like a normal manager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEzno5MfEEI

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

I actually thought the logical continuation for Damien Priest was to feud with Sheamus, and have him come out at Backlash to a new unique song Bad Bunny made for him, to make Damien a star.

Instead, lost a handicap match.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Nick Jr. Face posted:

why was braun wrestling with a shirt on

Well, he's actually quite lean and has abs. So they treat him like Owens.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMuqZdZB-XV/?igshid=l0afyu2zla0s

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

CarlCX posted:

so the very first appearance of the brand new heel hoss NXT women's champion is immediately undercut by a feelgood pride moment where she poses with the new biggest face champion in the WWE

WWE has no loving clue how to blend reality and kayfabe. Legit friends who we could make a fun moment with? gently caress all the stories we've told!

And loving lol at Kushida winning the cruiserweight title in a way that makes the ladder match look pointless.

Also I wanted to defend Rhea that it's a hard lift but lifting the smaller women is literally her job. I don't see her doing this any time soon.
https://youtu.be/pmLuXteynhM

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Breetai posted:

It's the wrestling move that is the most clearly being done by the person it's supposed to be hurting, so yeah, perfect spectacle move for a celebrity to use in a match.

I think an excellent applier with a mediocre taker does lots of work, but the match was yet another reminder of how great Morrison is at making his opponents look great.

The falcon arrow was so drat clean and people somehow aren't talking about it!

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 14, 2021

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Jackie D posted:

"We'll get back to you on that"

Like the good brothers talking with a new Japan exec for ages about other things, then asked about t-shirt revenue and suddenly he didn't speak English.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Called up Dec 2019, but due to miscommunication HHH doesn't officially inform her until April or May 2020
Comes to work constantly and constantly emails ideas despite never being booked, except for the one day she finally doesn't, which is when she's then informed they have a plan for her
Said plan is with Mickie James; they film a match for Raw, it's not used, neither ever gets an explanation for why
Resumes coming to work constantly despite never being booked, sits outside Vince's office once a week for four hours each week for at least another full calendar month trying to discuss the "not being booked" situation
Finally gets the opportunity, pitches fifteen ideas to him in half an hour
Two weeks later gets her SD/main roster TV debut
Breaks her wrist basically immediately
Cycle of not being booked yet coming to work constantly resumes throughout injury, recovery/rehab, and its aftermath
Finally gives up and doesn't come to Mania, a show she likely isn't booked for regardless of her efforts
Fired days later on the one-year anniversary of her husband being fired by them

god loving drat

It bears repeating what an insane working environment it is when the CEO is de facto head of talent, head writer, head booker etc.

You shouldn't wait for the CEO's time, that should be literally impossible for random employees.

collocation posted:

On Talking Smack, Crews said that he was thrown out of the Nigerian Guard for being too rough and not following orders. Not that that changes anything at all.

The wint tweet said it better, but in storyline getting a guy who doesn't follow orders is hilariously stupid.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Astro7x posted:

I have not watched the Thunderdome Era of WWE closely... but have we ever gotten a wrestler trolling another wrestler by being on the screens in the background?

Not trolling, but Big E was watching the new day for a while there.

Amazing audio production there. Could anyone hear the question the first time?
(also unsurprisingly they ignored the question)

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Kunabomber posted:

lol $100K is comical, almost like a dr evil number. They couldn't figure out a better number than that?

I mean the fines they issue are comical. Didn't Batista once get charged that legit for blading?

Also nice on them establishing de-masking as a face trait. Not even, say, having it as a stip, just do it like assholes.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 20, 2021

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When Drew unmasked T-BAR and MACE did the announcers acknowledge them as Dijakovic and Dio Madden? The WOR recap didn’t specify.

WWE haven't worked out what they're doing yet, do they stayed quiet.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why do all the women have raccoon eye makeup now

Hunt down the backstage videos of Bayley talking about debuting on the main roster and been put in absurd makeup.

DeepDickPizza posted:

Everyone is rightfully focusing on all of the other incomprehensible awful poo poo in that recap, but lol that Orton's followup to all of that Fiend bullshit is asking Riddle to tag with him. There's no character motivation or story beats that make sense anywhere on this godforsaken show.

Maybe they're taking the meta plot where feuding with he fiend turned you heel, except now that he's a face feuding with him turns you face.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

I thought Indi was into Dexter.

Papa John and Candice were there so she trying to keep distance. He walked creepily.

Zayda sure has a questionable shooting star press, but man that loss by Toni just made her look kinda weak and stupid. Getting distracted by a person walking out, then getting thrown to the mat by just those weak punches.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

So you can add Xia Brookside to the "lovely people employed by WWE" list. She is spreading anti-vax stuff through instagram.

From the ridiculous thing she linked to in her story:

"If a man who was not vaccinated touches a vaccinated woman, or breathes any of the air she breathes, (in other words, walks by her in the office) and he then has sex with his wife, his wife can have an adverse event and she should avoid having children" - yeah that's definitely how vaccines work, and how scientific papers write. Hilariously sexist and anti-science at the same time!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

explosivo posted:

Wouldn't we have loving heard about widespread complications due to vaccinations by this point if any of this poo poo was true? Or are they also not reporting these truths and the real poo poo is what you learn from that guy on facebook :tinfoil:

Ah no, this is about long term issues! Seriously was disturbed reading comments on a Queensland post about vaccines while pregnant, how many women thought there might be long term impacts, and seemingly wanted minimum 10 years of testing before they would consider a vaccine. Just amazingly stupid.

What a horrible world when Braun Strowman wrestles 3 times a night. Do they legit not understand strengths and weaknesses?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

MJeff posted:

So Roman actually won clean (with like the shittiest ground and pound I've ever seen - god, this guy is just so loving lame), no interference, then he gave Bryan a conchairto afterwards just to rub it in.

I think he told them he's not re-signing. That REALLY came across like a write-off.

I believe literally Roman's first clean win since returning. I do not count the uso match where his brother gave up on his behalf.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

DeepDickPizza posted:

That clip of the Roman/Bryan finish seems like the type of bold booking that I should really enjoy, but it just sorta does nothing for me. As much as people have hyped the new Roman character, he just has such a flat affect and lack of physical charisma.

MJeff posted:

I dunno what people get out of this Roman character. It's so bad. He's so bad.

Something that Bryan Alvarez brings up in his retro reviews is that when Rock and Austin went long, they were consistently wildly entertaining. If it was just a speech to the other wrestlers backstage, they would make the speech entertaining. Roman delivers lines well, has good matches, but the extra ingredient of being entertaining throughout is missing. It's just a badass dude using frustrating cheating or sheer muscle to win.

Bryan-Roman was a good match, though god the thunderdome audio sounds weird as gently caress.

TheKingslayer posted:

The worst part is you know no one is going to get over beating Roman down the line. It's going to be some unsatisfying result to try and keep Roman strong and end up making everyone mad all over again.

Yeah, I don't think they have a long term plan in place, at all. Plus who on smackdown is beating Roman now? Edge? Cesaro? Seth? Big E?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

Speculation is it will either be Asuka or Rhea sacrificed at the dumb spooky alexa bullshit altar first.

Considering she beat Asuka clean before it would make sense for her to feud for the title soonish. The question is: is the spooky evil magic woman acface or heel?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

This is just baseless speculation on my part, but I think Shotzi and Ember lost the tag titles because they quickly need challengers for Raquel. She has no one to face after she (inevitably) beats Mercedes next week. Everyone else credible are heels.

I mean Candice hadn't held a title, and Indilumis can have different intrigue with them as Champions. What plots are ember and shotzi doing?

Also Candice motivating Indi while flipping the blinds on the serial killer in the closet is hilarious.

Crazy to watch NXT build things for the next week now. And Kyle continues to be painfully lame, unclear if that's the point.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Alaois posted:

drat Curse of Oak Island cleaning up

I can't believe shows like this, with a premise of "we might find cool stuff" that last multiple seasons where each episode goes "alas, well, maybe next time!".

8 seasons of people searching and being cold on a lovely 57ha island off Nova Scotia?!?!?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Alaois posted:

i remember catching some of an episode a few months ago when i was picking up food from a restaurant that had it playing on its TV

the big thing that happened was they maybe might have possibly found a sunken dock.

Like at least they should go to other islands, but the show is based off the people owning most of the (tiny) island.

In WWF news, https://streamable.com/2keg3n that transition by Cesaro at 1 minute was dang slick. All the stuff in there of Seth talking about how he's not Roman and doesn't need anyone else made me worry he's going to do a face turn and beat Roman.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Dimebags Brain posted:

On an anecdotal level, every single person I know who watched during the attitude era and quit watching cites Triple H as their reason for quitting.It's actually funny how consistent it is. I know it's not data but he feels like the biggest anti-draw in wrestling history.

My real hot take is that there wasn't really anything that could have stopped the decline of wrestling. 9/11 slammed shut the cultural zeitgeist that made wrestling cool and MMA rose to fill that niche. WWE didn't help themselves by being terrible, but I don't think they could have stopped the bleeding.

I think you can go back and see just how terribly they booked the invasion and aftermath. The bleeding was so much the WWE's own fault.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I'm a big fan of when this thread veers into stuff like "Uh, do they realize they gave the heel a character trait that makes him look bad????"

It's a legitimate question whether he's supposed to look cool. Otherwise why would they make merch? But that would be high on the list of lamest merch to wear in public.

Hell, if it was "acknowledge me as your better. Before I prove it" or something, but instead the text spacing emphasising "me" makes it look super lame.

MJeff posted:

My headcanon is that having to leave the company for medical reasons twice in the last couple years shook him and now he's overcompensating real bad, thus hiring a dick-hanger like Heyman, the constant cheating and the demands that everybody, up to and including his own family, constantly tell him how great he is and thank him for gracing them all with his presence. Of course that kind of read only really works if the people around him are calling him out for what an attention starved overcompensating baby he's being and to my understanding, absolutely nobody has. And now he's just beating people clean anyway, so it doesn't really track at all.

Calling him out on legitimate grounds? Jimmy is trying to, but not very well, we'll see how it goes.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Blaise330 posted:

"Suddenly, Ricochet jumped Sheamus from behind. He then put on Sheamus's hat and jacket. Sheamus was furious and chased after Ricochet."

Why do babyfaces keep stealing hats and crowns and clothes? Are they poor? Is Cameron Grimes a heel because he can afford his own clothes instead of stealing?

Also, losing clean and then attacking the heel and stealing their poo poo isn't face behaviour. It would be easy to have Sheamus try a attack and Ricochet escaped and somehow got the hat - but alas.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

That's actually one of the ways to get to a title match that makes the most sense. If you pin the champ you have proven that you're capable of beating the champ, and as such it seems pretty logical that you should get a title shot. Just because WWE does it in dumb ways doesn't make the concept itself bad.

It's a dumb concept when it's them getting pinned in their own division, in a relatively normal match. Pinning the champ in G-1, well that's a tournament. When Jericho was champ he challenged SCU for the tag titles with Sammy and got pinned by Scorpio Sky, so Scorpio got a title shot for pinning the world champion - even though he hadn't pinned him in a title match.

AEW also does the smart thing with rankings of saying that the champion by default has non-title matches, it's only a title match against a ranked opponent or if someone wins a shot another way.

Last year the Street Profits and Viking Raiders started a feud by Viking Raiders pinning the tag champs clean, then a month or two of comedy, and then the Viking Raiders lost clean. What changed in this time that the formerly better team lost? Them doing their weird sport things made the Raiders weak?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Lid posted:

This loving rules and should be the lead.

Judo flip takeover into a driver/ddt is awesome.

Also, the Dexter stuff is so weird, no idea where it's going, but his character is going to be extra ridiculous when the show returns. He's just such an awful serial killer.

Why didn't the masseuse take issue with a strange dude turning up, helping her, then leaving?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Nick Jr. Face posted:

McAfee rocking out to Nak's music was extremely contrived

Yeah, it was really overblown and a good example of a moment where the announcers can be quiet and not make the moment worse.

It's hilarious that being a jerk to Michael Cole is a face move for over 20 years, though.

Oh and then deciding to give Tamina a gold watch title run is so sad. No gold watch if you sucked the whole time.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Reality Protester posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrdL_NNsM8

the whole thing is online too
https://youtu.be/bOov_WJrFk8
if you feel the need to live vicariously through x pac watching one of the worst ppvs in memory.

It's still amazing that when WWE do gently caress finishes the ref doesn't announce anything. Just let confusion reign and they'll tell you the finish in 1-8 days.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Puto_Takagi/status/1395374256180060162

It's spelled 'herd'
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1396148970351693834

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a huge thing. WWE seems unable to show their wrestlers just having fun.

Coz the conceipt of stuff like that is "wrestlers watching their friends wrestle and chil". Which should be the easiest thing to do/film. But in the WWE universe, it becomes a joyless, bloodless, warmth-less lame slog.

When fiend debuted Johnny Gargano was watching and had child like awe and joy on his face.

So naturally he was mocked, as fun is also not allowed.

https://youtu.be/KaecGmUo8Pw

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 24, 2021

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Beat The Clock is the worst gimmick match that WWE does I think, right next to the gauntlet matches that either go on WAY to long or everyone starts with 25% health.

What was the incentive for Nikki Cross to win anyway?

It wasn't even beat the clock since there wasn't another person's time to beat. Just a 2 minute time limit match, which sounds like it will be garbage and then it was!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Keith Lee, Aleister Black, Ricochet

There's so many amazing talents that were cursed with 205 live/the cruiserweight division. KENTA, Tozawa, and Adrian Neville spring to mind.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I’m catching up on the MOTYC thread and has anyone done worse on call up than Rhea Ripley? She had a rep as a good worker in nxt but now she’s consistently involved in the worst matches on the main roster. Obviously booking plays a role in that but from what I’ve seen she didn’t look too good.

Booking and agenting are huge. They aren't playing to her strengths - and the segment tonight was an amazing show of how to get everyone involved less over.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm also not sure that Cena thinks or feels about things in the way that humans do

He loved living in a major Chinese city for a month because he wasn't a celebrity. He's a weird dude.

https://youtu.be/-Ups5vcZH3o

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Lamuella posted:

I can obviously see what WWE gets out of this (access to new guys, confounding AEW), but surely New Japan have seen how WWE have treated every other promotion they've done business with.

They partnerd with Ogdenville Pro, Smash Haverbrooke, and Lesnarway, and by gum it put them on the map!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

So...does Roman want to be tag champ with Jey? What's his beef in this particular scenario?

How can Jey possibly give full attention to cheating for Roman if he's winning the tag titles?

Also I consistently think when I see the results that AEW has never had the same champion face the same challenger (maybe orange Cassidy Vs. Cody after a tie?) and they don't make it look hard. WWE has champions beat half of everyone in a month, then the other half never get a shot.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Shrimpy posted:

I can't* believe WWE is walking back into live events with Drew as the challenger for the third pay-per-view in a row over Kofi.

* can totally

Just imagine, an actual fresh match with Kofi.

Not in loving WWE, gotta make us hate any potential matches.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

It's crazy to read up on Eric Bugenhagen. Joined WWE in 2017.

Debuted on TV in Feb 2019, lost, got over. Removed from TV for 2 years.

Played old spice representative "Joseph average" and won the 24/7 Championship twice. Debuts on SmackDown under new name playing guitar questionably.

What is this company?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

explosivo posted:

So do they just.. get paid for the years remaining on the contract when they get terminated or does a contract just mean literally nothing?

Paid for the next 3 months only.

As Bryan Alvarez says, when you sign a contract with Vince, you need to obey it to the letter! When he signs with you, he can do what he wants, he's Vince McMahon!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

VideoWitch posted:

its far from the dumbest thing he said during that call but I'm definitely fixating on him saying he doesn't want to compare people to old stars like three lines after he did just that.

Also what kind of madman thinks the Carolina Caveman works like Ted Dibiase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/poisonouspixies/status/1404261853094584322

DarkstarIV posted:

If I recall, the reason being reported for his release was he was being massively overpaid. I think it was $1m a year at the very minimum.

All WWE talents should probably be paid at least twice as much, if not triple, more, more. They should also get a reasonable allowance on things like travel and such. Imagine thinking a main event talent making a mere $1M was over paying.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 14, 2021