Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in terms of prices for JP anime blurays, no it's pretty normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Izzhov posted:

I was doing some research to find out if anyone knew how Shirakawa got to the construction site and came up empty, but I did end up finding this post which explains how Tanaka and Sakura got in cahoots.

apparently the novelization answered the first one already, apparently dobu had shirakawa plant a bug on him as well because he was already planning to approach him and ask for his assistance, and when goriki said he thought odokawa was up to something dangerous, she used it to check things out. which means at one point odokawa was being bugged/tracked by three different people between tanaka's phone, the pen, and dobu's bug

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

in terms of prices for JP anime blurays, no it's pretty normal

If I remember right, it's even on the more reasonable side.

Not cheap or anything, but it comes to 2,008 yen an episode. For contrast, this season's Getter Robo Arc costs 42900 yen for the Blu Ray box set, coming to about 3300 yen an episode, and the Dynazenon Blu rays cost 8,800 for 3 episodes, or 2,933 per.

Japan's home DVD market is very much in the pre-Top Gun model, where the money comes from large single purchases, not bulk distribution.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Plus it's got more extras than your standard anime bluray release would have (japanese or otherwise)

- Trailers/Creditless OP/EDs
- A special box for the manga you didn't buy
- B-Side OST (extra songs missing from the regular OST)
- The entire audio drama from youtube (please be subbed :pray: )
- An artbook
- A "picture drama" (I'm assuming this is a digital comic of some sort?)

As it stands right now, I think the current extras offset the dumb japanese bluray pricing for once

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's awfully tempting just on the grounds of supporting art

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yawgmoft posted:

It's awfully tempting just on the grounds of supporting art

it is, if any of the money actually goes to the animators. i really liked this show but i don't know if i $250 liked the show.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I don't expect this or a future $50 barebones Discotek version to give any residuals to all the production staff behind the show. The way I see it, buying this edition makes it more likely for production partners to want to work with P.I.C.S. on new shows in the future, the main talent involved in the creation of the show. By all accounts P.I.C.S. is as small as it gets, so I hope the sales of this bluray help open the doors for future projects.

The pricing being what it is is not really in the staff's hands, and from what I know it's competitive for their markets value, compared to other shows that have a fraction of the features for the same price. There's already an affordable free version of the show available, so at least we have choices to access the show if a $250 bluray is understandably not something you want to do.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 17, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Real unfortunate that it's not paypal accessible. My card won't let me make direct purchases to Japanese companies.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I haven't bought physical disks of a tv anime since my DVDs of Paranoia Agent- until now. If that's anything to go on, you guys should probably buy up.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The Donraku eraser is getting made

https://twitter.com/mugicaan1/status/1437412159693090818

It'd be pretty funny if they only made one of those and had it as a surprise for a random buyer

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Oddtaxi is getting a dub and this guy is playing Odokawa

https://twitter.com/MikeMcFarlandVA/status/1453834599939944449?t=FPlcXA2npRz0Rm_OPuebHw&s=19

E: also the bluray campaign closed at over 6000 copies, well beyond the original goal for production.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my heart goes out to the poor schmucks who have to localize Yano’s dialogue

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Oxxidation posted:

my heart goes out to the poor schmucks who have to localize Yano’s dialogue

They did a pretty impressive job making the subtitles rhyme already

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Ignis posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeMcFarlandVA/status/1453834599939944449?t=FPlcXA2npRz0Rm_OPuebHw&s=19

E: also the bluray campaign closed at over 6000 copies, well beyond the original goal for production.

This is great news for people like me who have friends who refuse to watch subs for some psychotic reason

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Ignis posted:

Both excellent developments. Looking forward to seeing this series getting a lot more attention.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/neruco_/status/1463817685540560897?s=20

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

have never imagined them without their hats and its freaking me out

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

He doesnt have an arc, bro. He's oddly enough the most put together and socially capable of anybody in the cast save Goriki I guess, He's not a social invalid. Just a grump. Playing yakuza AND cops. Makin plans. He formed relationships fine, and like I said, everybody loved him. Whatever thread the story was trying to weave thematically Odo at the center failed to thread the needle because it's Odo. It's something that makes sense for someone w social anxiety or something, but that doesn't describe him at all in my book.

Saying odokawa doesn’t have social anxiety is very silly imo when his very first scene in the show features him going “well I consider up to 10 possible responses to any question because I’m not sure what to say in the moment”

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Erg posted:

Saying odokawa doesn’t have social anxiety is very silly imo when his very first scene in the show features him going “well I consider up to 10 possible responses to any question because I’m not sure what to say in the moment”

You mean the relatively normal way of approaching a service-oriented line of work for a super blunt person? I didn't say he doesn't have social anxiety, but it never cripples his decision making or personality or even functions in the narrative as a hurdle to overcome to where an ending that just pushes the switch in his brain that made him interesting off and says here ya go, protag shown the whole time to be an awkward but capable grownass man who mostly advances his diverse relationships on his own and is the best at engaging w different types of people in the cast, NOW you can go live life and talk to women haha and be vulnerable and all that cornyness comes off as an earned or even good ending for him. Weird road to come at the metaphor from, too. Didn't land.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
https://twitter.com/oddtaxi_/status/1472155932687847435

Countdown of unknown meaning.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol we gettin an oddtaxi christmas special?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Odds that it's just a Christmas photo?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pootybutt posted:

You mean the relatively normal way of approaching a service-oriented line of work for a super blunt person? I didn't say he doesn't have social anxiety, but it never cripples his decision making or personality or even functions in the narrative as a hurdle to overcome to where an ending that just pushes the switch in his brain that made him interesting off and says here ya go, protag shown the whole time to be an awkward but capable grownass man who mostly advances his diverse relationships on his own and is the best at engaging w different types of people in the cast, NOW you can go live life and talk to women haha and be vulnerable and all that cornyness comes off as an earned or even good ending for him. Weird road to come at the metaphor from, too. Didn't land.

yeah I was happy for him to stop intentionally distancing himself from the world

I was watching it as it came out so maybe I’m forgetting some piece of this that’s rubbing you the wrong way? Him seeing the world that way is a coping mechanism and if he’s gotten to the point where he no longer needs it that should be celebrated.

Calling it “the switch in his brain that made him interesting” gives me pause because it’s not metaphorical for him. People being animals isn’t the audience seeing odokawa’s thesis on society or whatever, it’s what he actually sees. It blurs his view of reality to a detrimental degree and freaks him out since he literally cannot tell if he kidnapped a girl or adopted a stray cat

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1474275219917312004?t=pXR4RfJyKvMK9l2smiHd4Q&s=19

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Any idea if it continues after the end? Cause I still haven't gotten used to how everyone looks in the end and I don't know if I can handle a whole movie of it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Any idea if it continues after the end? Cause I still haven't gotten used to how everyone looks in the end and I don't know if I can handle a whole movie of it.

I imagine it will be a prequel or midquel.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

excited for April 1st

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

dogsicle posted:

excited for April 1st

:abrathink:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Japanese companies don't tend to announce April Fool's gags several months in advance, fwiw

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if they announced it, i dont see it on the show account.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah the tweet going around about it is from one of the usual news/leak accounts

official account tweeted out the 1-day countdown image with this link so whatever the deal is should be covered when this premieres

https://youtu.be/N-gqQB1hvb4

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/oddtaxi_/status/1474696426101911554?s=21

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dope

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crunchyroll is gonna stream the movie

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1475202439557042193?s=20

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Since there's no new footage in the teaser and it's only 3 months away, I'm going to guess it's a compilation movie. Maybe with some extra scenes?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well it's called "in the woods" and there were no woods in the show, so at the very least there's going to be some new content.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Julias posted:

Well it's called "in the woods" and there were no woods in the show, so at the very least there's going to be some new content.

I'm less sure, considering that there's a common enough metaphor of the "concrete jungle".

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Woods refers to forests, not jungles though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Forgall posted:

Since there's no new footage in the teaser and it's only 3 months away, I'm going to guess it's a compilation movie. Maybe with some extra scenes?

That's what I've read.

Compilation film, but apparently it's going to add more to the ending portion of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

That's what I've read.

Compilation film, but apparently it's going to add more to the ending portion of the series.

It's time to make this a reality