Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I don’t understand how they mashed my two main entertainment interests together but i am here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My extremely hot takes in order of terribleness:
I don't care about which system is used.
Dimension 20 seasons that are less comedic are the weaker seasons.
I don't like Brennan as a PC.

absolutely wild. i love brennan as a pc

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Mob posted:

This was me as well along with a combo of getting the Evan Kelmp Wizard Duel and a bunch of Um, Actually questions in my TikTok algorithm.

i didn't even realize I could subscribe to watch season 1 bc I would've just to avoid having curse words bleeped. either way FH is incredible and is always what i use to introduce people to D20 altho I might start sneaking in Mentopolis now

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Natroga posted:

It's absolutely a variation of a).

100% and I'm guessing we're going fey related antagonists for this season

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Brennan is letting his d&d nerd flag fly in the best way: The rat grinders, dropping a modron and thri-keen, a jump build barbarian

:kiss:

that whole KVX bank rebranding bit ending with "smote their ruin on the skyscraper" loll

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Wanderer posted:

As I think Siobhan even mentioned in ep. 4, the Rat Grinders who've been introduced so far are way too specifically built to be the Bad Kids' Injustice League (or if you prefer, the Linear Guild). It'd be too big a narrative coincidence if they weren't at least secondary antagonists for the season.

* a halfling rogue who's willing to take every shortcut available to her
* a gnome bard who's Fantasy Ed Sheeran but actually attends classes
* a cleric of Helio who apparently really impresses Kristen's parents
* a kobold barbarian who's basically a mountain with feet and has no other utility or personality to speak of

I'd imagine there are two other members who are equivalently opposite Fabian and Adaine. I'd imagine the one's a poor but streetwise fighter with a healthy romantic relationship and the other's a rich sorcerer who's faking her way through wizard classes.

they could still just be a source of friction at school. i mean that group has spent two years grinding and literally never been in a real fight so we'll see what the end game is beyond just be a pain in the rear end at school. its going to be hilarious tho if they get in a real fight and immediately panic

I do think its unbelievable they'd be that consistent with training even after the gnome bard blew up. like there's no way they can keep 6 people on that hyper rigorous schedule through all of high school.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 2, 2024

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Servetus posted:

The answer can be "Kristen should not be a cleric, and never was suited to the job." Which offers it' own complications to the story; but the fact she keeps on reaching for new gods and then neglecting them because the notion of having to perform service in exchange for power is inconceivable suggests she would never be good Cleric, Druid, Paladin, or Warlock

Kristen respecs to fighter, immediately beats the BBEG to death with her gainzzzz

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

i don't really feel like Kristen is loving up that badly here. I mean what is the expectation, that she's gonna get an entire group of converts in a single summer (bc that's how long its been since Cassandra was pulled back from the NK) while still saving the world? Then having Cassandra be so pushy about getting instant converts is also weird to me. Her gameplan around running for class president is honestly not a terrible one to get more young adventurer converts not that she's explained it well to Cassandra. Then there's the whole layer of when does the goddess act like an actual goddess? Does she have guidance she wants to give her only cleric? Or is she just going to keep needing to be babysat while making demands? Plus the whole, Kristen's literally a high school kid. Yea she brought you back from the sort of undead, can that not be sufficient? Does this teenager need to build you an entire religion as well?

I think they're also toying with this larger religious question of whether you need to be constantly proselytizing if you're a believer which is interesting.

Anywho I would've told Cassandra to take that Archfey deal which I think is going to be the end result regardless. In general I get the feel this is going to be some sort of Fey based plot between Fig's luck changing (usually a Fey thing), the archfey line dropped about cassandra, and then the clear finale going to be at the fey festival the Thistlesprings are hosting. Or maybe some sort of dual fey chaos vs ordered control thing between the fey stuff and the ratgrinders/super order robot principal.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Dolash posted:

I think you guys might be missing the forest for the trees by litigating whether Cassandra was clear enough to Kristen about the pamphleting thing or whether she's acting appropriately like a Goddess in need of converts to survive. She represents a commitment that Kristen is neglecting, the latest step in a downward trend of toxic interpersonal relationship habits she's developed, and that's what led them to this point more than any one specific act.

If you need an in-universe hook, remember that the second season made clear how Gods are the product of their worship - Cassandra was betrayed by her original followers and sent away from them, she became the nightmare king when that was what the people who found her wanted her to be, and she was completely reshaped in Kristen's image when Kristen decided that radical embrace was the way to get her out of the nightmare king persona. With Kristen as her main imprint and source of identity, how couldn't she end up this way?

idk i don't recall Kristen committing to building an entire religion until this episode. I genuinely thought after the end of last season that Cassandra is her new goddess that she follows and bc she oversees Silvaire she'll get a bunch of wood elves and the like who were driven out back in the day.

It's all very odd the way its being positioned, I'm down with the overall conflict they're exploring here I just don't particularly think Kristen's to blame for any of it. To butcher a metaphor here you don't get mad at your emergency surgeon for not also running your physical therapy.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YggiDee posted:

you'd think that livestreaming the birth of a new god would get you something

lol right?

I mean this is all just the retcons and strange curveballs they have to throw out after basically giving everyone a happy ending sophomore year. im not mad at it. I think Fig's weird luck change thing and Gorgug's odd multiclass choices work a bit better in the existing narrative as sources of conflict than the goddess stuff but those are also not as immediate or as compelling.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Trapp posted on Instagram that he's currently on the writing staff for two different cartoons, which explains the step back.

I'd heard in passing he's got a young child, too.

good for him, im glad he got onto more shows as a writer

also Bryan David Gilbert as fact checker?

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 6, 2024

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Megazver posted:

This is the guy who spent a year reading every single Halo tie-in novel for a video

lol im not opposed to it just sort of surprised

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

kiminewt posted:

Some Smosh cast members too.

I suppose after this many seasons it's time to shake it up and this could be good still. Interesting to see Ify as the host, I think if you'd asked me I'd think it'd be the reverse.

Hope to see Trapp in other things though, most underrated of the Dropout crew. Find him hilarious.

After Mentopolis i want Trapp in every non IH season of D20. He's so smooth at getting constant character jokes in or setting up jokes for others.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I'm only a bit into this newest episode, but it's cool to see how much the intrepid heroes have progressed as players in combat.

You want to jump on the table?

new ep is wilddddddd and yea the combat skills are legit now

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

perfection

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

eke out posted:

laughed really hard at gorgug's angry "do you have a warrant?"

that had me rolling

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I like it. Me and a friend are watching together and the extremely long Night Yorb fight at the start put us both off, but the balance after that has been fantastic

the saving grace for the night yorb fight was how absolutely done with it the PCs were as well. that made their whole tired as hell bit land perfectly

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Someone pointed out that every time Sam says 'I am your host Sam Reich' this season he very deliberately looks down and examines his hands Sam what the gently caress are you planning.

i've caught that every time and wondered what bit is he setting up, i didnt even consider its some evil plan for a future ep

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

double nine posted:

been rewatching the preview for some details

this is gonna be good

oh man, one of my favorite movies. im so ready for that one

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

was a little disappointed they had the drag queens on an Um Actually and then didn't do any Drag Race questions or like trivia about gay icons. I liked how they tried to do traditional nerd questions flavored for the contestants but i think it would've been more fun if they had worked in some questions about drag race, fashion icons, or a shiny question centered on a gay icon like Dolly. could've done a shiny round on naming different drag queen makeup lines, that would've been fun too

i was expecting something closer to those reality show themed eps they've done before

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

boxen posted:

I am so proud of myself for being able to answer the math question.

i do a lot of back of the napkin math for work and i immediately got to "oh you'll need to do some decimals/seconds, nope just use the stamp" and felt great how quickly i got there.

what im saying is give us numbers nerds more comedians attempting math, it makes me feel great

also loving wild twist in that one, i genuinely did not see that particular bit of fuckery coming

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

seaborgium posted:

I think most of the full timers they have besides those two are crew or people you need to run a company or production staff they are always going to need.

its literally all production, art, and business side staff yea. they've talked about it a few times but the full time people are integral to keeping the gears moving. i think this year as they keep growing they're going to add another creative or two to the full time staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Sestze posted:

Lot of varied, agonized Murph emotions on display.

a panoply of mesmerizing murph-motions

and yea that episode was wild