Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Neverafter has been fun for me so far, but I'm perpetually like three episodes behind, so there's time for the audience to digest the show and analyze it before I get to an episode. That helps.

I do wonder how they'll resolve the season, though, because it seems like antagonists have occupied every stance the players might take. ('lets set the stories back to normal', 'lets rewrite the stories to benefit us', 'let's tear down the whole system and leave it on tatters', etc)

Kloaked00 posted:

It’s going to be a good Game Changer tonight

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRWmqDjC/

Oh, I am excited for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

Oh my god. Samuel Dalton was here the whole time. He was the Sam in the season's poster!

The poster even features the 7-of-diamonds card that Sam had each of them pull. I wonder how he did that trick? I'm guessing he had one deck of cards that was all 7ofD and a second deck that had the item theme, and just switched the card packs when no one was looking?

I also wonder if they had anything planned if anyone had attempted to pick the bathroom door lock early. That only utilized a paperclip, so in theory it could have been done from the start, unless that a bit of movie magic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm all-for another Survivor type thing. Seems like a mix of a bunch of different reality shows?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I see. I was thinking of it as a continuation of the season. That makes sense, thanks.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Having only watched (the first half of) Starstruck Odyssey and Neverafter, I feel like they're extremely different entities, but I haven't disliked either. Neverafter has led to some good comedy, but has also led to some really good, wholesome character moments. Everybody feels really deep in their role and are willing to take the sub-optimal choice if it leads to better drama or laughs.

Only thing is wasn't wild about this season was the social interactions with the princesses, which were painful in how badly the characters handled it. A lot of that was the rolls and the players acting to their characters' strengths and weaknesses, but, still, as a socially awkward person, I was wincing. The cast says as much in the Adventuring Party for that episode, where they talk about the difficulty in trying to have a equal-footing conversation with people who they know are stronger and more capable than them, while also knowing these people are going down a deeply crazy path.

The episode at the Baba Yaga's place was a great episode, for example. Lots of individual choices, fun interactions between different pairs of characters, and a completely manically-insane BLM NPC. And for fights, the one where they were the giants was amazing for how chaotic it got, with scaled up versions of basic spells massacring entire armies and animated landscapes.

I do wonder how the heck they're going to wrap it all up in a single episode, considering that they've got at least two more fights (three? The fairies, the stepmother, and possibly the Ink itself, assuming that's not something the stepmother is doing...), plus the actual story wrap-up for the characters, whether or not that's a 'happily ever after'. I imagine either there's going to be some shenanigans Maybe the fairies get bodied by the stepmother somehow and it moves to a full-on fight with her immediately? or this episode is going to run very long... I do feel like Ally has probably been cooking something up off screen with the resolution to their individual plotlines and the book.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 12, 2023

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Watching the last Adventuring Party for Neverafter, it's interesting that there were at least two huge horror twists queued up that the party managed to skirt around.

If Timothy had made his third wish, his character would have turned against the group and become an embodiment of the corruption.

If they had failed the last roll to rewrite their stories, the whole plot would have reset to the beginning, back to episode 1, with everyone having learned nothing and left with only a profound sense that, more than ever, something has gone Wrong.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

boxen posted:

Never after might not be the best season of Dimension 20, but the mini's auction is going to be amazing. Starting May 1.

Personally, I'd go with the Dogfish.

What kind of prices happened with the last mini auction? Are small scenery pieces five bucks or twenty? Would something like the dogfish go for hundreds or....?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For Dimension20, today's show is listed as the full version of the trailer for the game that Matt Mercer is running. And tomorrow is listed as another adventuring party. Is that going to be a 'pre-game' adventuring party for the new one, or a wrap-up episode on Neverafter, do you all think?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, guess I need to watch all of CoC before May 10th...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

He is a turnip radish.

edit: that's what I get for watching on my lunch break and then not re-consulting before posting info.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 19, 2023

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The adventuring party yesterday confirmed we're getting another time-skip, so it'll be interesting to see what some of the more Machiavellian have been up to. Brennan in particular said that he's not sure where Raphaniel will go from here, so it could get quite wild. Since the character seems quite upset about being 'used' in a different way than he was expecting, and now he has the identify of one of the FDA, I could easily see him spending a few years getting pieces in place to have her taken out with plausible deniability. But, drat, imagine how hard that would be, since literally anyone could be in the FDA and he's not one to move openly... ever.

Or maybe, like he joked, he'll go full hermit.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This week's episode was just so fun for how unhinged everyone is getting, most of all Raphaniel. Or, in other words:

double nine posted:

when Brennan commits, he commits.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm watching it now, I really appreciate how quickly everyone picked up on the 'Yes, and...' nature of Dimension20 games.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is still the place to talk about Worlds Beyond Number, right? I'm behind on the main campaign, but I listened to the Country Affair one-shot, and it made me cackle out loud multiple times. I'm glad I listened while driving so no one could see me.

Erika is GMing a heist campaign (farm animals plotting to steal some corn from a Fair), and I almost feel like the others were taking a little advantage of her being new to a GM. She let them get away with... perhaps too much, but in a really fun way. I suppose you don't need to worry about power creep in a one-shot... Let's just say that Aabria is playing the literal Devil in goat-form, and she's probably the least-sinister of the trio.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

CK07 posted:

My current working theory is the big guy is working on some Manhattan Project-level military technology. Obviously this would be a great step forward career-wise, but his conscience is objecting. Ambition is powerful and morality is a small, quiet, easily-silenced voice.

Agreed. I was thinking along similar lines. Guessing the switchboard was probably smashed so that someone like Imelda couldn't take back the package. Too bad they acted too late, and she already used her key. Maybe the Mayor is the ultimate bad guy (driven to deliver this package and do everything he can to get it done, up to and including having the Conscience bumped off), or maybe it's a red herring for something worse that the mayor is trying to prevent.

No clue yet what the mental highways falling apart mean, yet.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The players didn't really comment on The Big Guy getting a big shot of adrenaline served to all the drink establishments in town midway through the session. I wonder if that's him panicking about having taken the package back or...?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Caught up on Mentopolis.

Episode thougths: It's wild that the city is seemingly trying to cover up the Big Guy falling to his death. Maybe the difference in timescales means that it'll be days/weeks until it happens and those in charge just don't want a riot on their hands? Stay in charge as long as they can?

No good ideas on what the thing pressing into his crotch and vibrating is. Could just be a pager that got jostled while he was being shoved out a window, but that would hardly save him, and the the narrative implies it's going to be important.

A wild, probably-wrong speculation: As much as the friendship between Conrad and Justin the dog has been played up... does that make sense? I feel like the brain's ability to find justifications for things would generally run counter to the conscience. "It's okay that I didn't help that little old lady, because I was in a rush and didn't have time to stop." "It's okay that I cheated on that test, because I really, really needed a good score, and that mattered more than the ethics of it."

Some words have been thrown around about how Conrad is still just a near-powerless kid, and should, by all rights, be grown by now and participating in the governing of the brain. We saw that he blames himself for the ice skates incident, and that could explain it, but I'm wondering if... there might be a third act reveal. Like, Justin's goals are just so pathetic. He encourages Conrad, but the encouragement is just to, like, speak up in the tiniest and least-likely-to-succeed way possible. Justin might be planted here to keep Conrad contained. To keep the ways he pushed be small and useless.

I could absolutely see Brennan making the adorable dog sidekick be one of the secret villains of the season.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I'm a few episodes into The Unsleeping City and I'm liking it a lot, but as a non New-Yorker, why doesn't anyone want to go to Staten Island?

Along the same lines, I'm a few episodes into Worlds Beyond Number and what's the joke with Cornell being lovely? I'm guessing someone on the production staff went to Cornell and they're gently ribbing them?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Interestingly, Aabria posted on Tumblr and said she knows of the grumbles about picking 5e for this and that she has a reason for it, beyond convenience or familiarity.

quote:

#gonna ramble in the tags#I understand why peeps ask for system variety#there are lots of systems that tell specific kinds of stories well#but the reverse is true too#5e does a *specific thing* very well#without spoiling the story#I want to simply say I *chose* 5e for this thing it does#not because it’s the biggest or the easiest for the table or whatever other lazy reasons folks want to ascribe#the mechanics are a part of the story being told#that’s always been true#it’s still true here#DnD is the legacy of a certain kind of gaming#which came from the veneration of a certain kind of cultural lens#critiques of DnD and the stories told inside that system center on how the mechanics center those cultural perspectives#knowing that there’s a wide world of systems to pick from#I just hope y’all trust that there’s a point to this choice#and if you watch and think I’m trying to say something#you’re probably right#and if you think I still could have made a different choice in the end#lemme know#I love being introduced to new systems

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, time to finally watch Fantasy High!

Quick question, for people that have been around for a while, what was the experience level of the players for tabletap games, back in season one? Were they all green except for Brennan?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Next Dimension20 speculation: It was mentioned on twitter that Brennan's stoat is both a paladin and the mother of Siobhan's and Izzy's characters. So. Odds of a heroic self-sacrifice?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Caught the first episode of Burrow's End:

Random speculation:
I'm not saying the villain of the season is Man, but... it might be Man. Anyway, here's some random thoughts because I haven't had enough time to form a coherent thesis:

- Blue is one of the more uncommon colors in nature, so it makes sense that it's being portrayed as an otherworldly thing here.
- With the stoats having Blue in their eyes and an implication that it plays some role in their burrow's founding may mean we have a rats of NIHM type situation, just a few generations removed so it's all been lost to legend...
- Having seem a few of Aabria's games, the mysterious gas is either going to completely unexplainable, or a very specifc, real thing that she can pull factoids out about later. Blue and a squeaky-noise immediately makes me think of some sort of plastic-based material, like a vinyl fabric or something. There are several plastic-related gases that can be quite deadly, although the combination of heavier-than-air, colored, and smelling of metal is not immediately coming to mind. Maybe she was writing this right after that train wreck in February that dumped all the plastic chemicals?

I thought the cast did a great job of immediately gelling. Excited to see where this goes!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Trying to guess the 'thing' that made Aabria want to use d&d for this campaign. I notice that the player stats seen to be rolled instead of point-buy. Could it be as simple as that? The arbitraryness of nature means some characters are just going to be way more capable than others? Hmm...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Not much talk here about the new d20 run, but all the social media stuff I'm seeing implies that something wild is going to happen in today's episode.

There's video of the cast seeing the (offcamera) battlemap and flipping out, and apparently this episode will have a tag for 'LOTS of body horror'.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oof, that combat actually made me a bit nauseous...

So Aabria gave a polygon interview, and talked about how she picked d&d for this because of how few of the tools in the toolkit are noncombat. As much as that whole situation was an aberration, I can't help wondering about the fact that while the chipmunks grabbed Ava, they didn't actually attack until their home was threatened...

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 12, 2023

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

Burrow's End conjecture:

You know what else famously glows blue?
Cherenkov Radiation

I also thought of that, but It's apparently not visible to the naked eye, since Ericka's character didn't see it. It's only seen by magical means.

My own conjecture:
I wonder how closely we're going to keep to the Watership Down model here? Based on the preview, we're meeting stoats in the abandoned building really drat early, here. If this going to eventually become their den, we need a conflict to drive the rest of the episodes, so we might have a case of rival stoat clans fighting it out.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm still working my way through the freshman year, so a quick question about tonight's junior year episode: So was every one of those ally NPCs brand new, or were a couple of them old? The party did such a good job pretending they were all old friends that I honestly couldn't tell.

(...other than Boggy and Baby, I know about them from clips I've seen on my social media timeline.)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fantasy High thoughts (having not gotten all the way through previous seasons...)

Seems like we're having some weird interactions with Fortune (money and/or luck) or something this year? Half the bad kids returned home to some money-related issue (having to deal with a sudden unearned amount of money, suddenly having less money saved up than you thought, owing a record company a bunch of money, etc), there's some embezzlement scheme going on with the festival that Gorgug's parents will be hosting the next iteration of, and Gilear is having good luck all of sudden that gives him money, while Fig is having bad luck.

I looked on the reddit, and opinion seems split on what Fig's seeming demonic deal might be:
a) 'yellow', 'lemony', and dairy products being a reference to Gilear's lemon yogurt interest, with the deal being some curse that gave all of Fig's luck to Gilear
b) 'yellow' and 'dairy products' being a reference to the creamed corn monster from season 1, with the deal being with either the eldritch entities that empowered the corn or, somehow, with Doris, the lunchlady who no one else seemed to care about besides Fig, and whose hairnet got damaged in the bad luck incident.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, forgot to ask: how many episodes is fantasy high getting this season? People get that info from the discord, right?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thank you.

quote:

Any info on the season(s) coming after Fantasy High Junior Year?

Yes. It will be titled “Never Stop Blowing Up.”

That sounds interesting. Based on the title, I'm picturing all the rpg characters competing on a reality TV show about fame.

Edit: use the misfits and magic system where dice explode when you roll the highest number, and make successes that exceed the threshold by ten or more have a chance to backfire, like when the most successful people on a reality show get hated.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 22, 2024

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Junior Year ep4 random thoughts...

- For some reason, I got a bad vibe from the artificer teacher. He appeared chill and willing to work with Gorgug, but suggesting a 400% course load is insane.

- The power grinders are a fun concept, but I think they're a red herring.

- This season is going to give me a ulcer from second hand stress...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the Rat Grinders are going to be less secondary antagonists and more distraction. Something for the characters to focus on so they miss the actual plotting going on. They are designed to annoy the hell out of the party, but aside from spying by their thief, we haven't seen them actually act in any antagonistic way.

I find the cleric/god stuff pretty uncomfortable to watch, but mainly because I dropped the ball just as bad, it just took until sophomore year of college to hit.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Danger Diabolik posted:

Kalina trying to sell wizards on Cassandra is super suspicious. I can't think of a group of people less interested in doubt and uncertainty than wizards. It feels like there is something specific she needed from the mall and needed an excuse to get there.

My uneducated guess is that she wanted to illustrate Ally's character failing so that Cassandra would be more likely to listen to Kalina and act in some way she wanted, like 'retiring' or whatever. Having a disappointing recruiting trip (because wizards are sometimes snobby about the other magic classes that need a patron and probably would reject any religion pitches) and then having Ally completely bail on the trip (because she honestly didn't know she was supposed to come) would be effective. Seems like she pushed a little too hard, though, and Cassandra is having a meltdown that even Kalina would have preferred to avoid.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Surprised there was no payoff for the swear jar. Thought that was going to be the reward.

I imagine that would be hard to plan for, though, since they don't know how much the players will utilize it during the episode. If there were only a couple 'fucks' total, it would be a bad reward to give them a couple dollars.

I did expect it to come back into play later, though, like the least-swearing player would get all the points back or something.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I honestly had to set Junior Year aside because the stress mechanics were actually making me feel second-hand stress and I didn't enjoy it. I'll hop back on it later...

Seconding Mentopolis as short and funny.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The behind the scenes thing for Sam Says 3 included an amazing cut concept, where the contestants are told to play Tag with Sam, chase him out of the building, and eventually to a replica set outdoors, where the game continues from.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mob posted:

Something is absolutely happening this season, with how he looks at his hands and also Sam Dalton's been here the whole time

I need to go back and re-listen, but doesn't he have a weird voice affectation in the most recent episode while he's looking at his hands? Sorta reminded me of Josh's "giant salesman" from one of the first Make Some Noise episodes?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

'says something in spanish' doesn't immediately strike me as a Brennan thing. Did they pick a hard one for the diagonal or am I forgetting something?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Great episode, and all the VHS static effects (and corrupted name plaques) were a lot of fun. I do wonder if there was an alternate ending scenario gamed out where someone just tackles Sam so he can't kick the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I was also thinking there had to be a trick to the clown. Like, his shoes were just as black and glossy as the balloons, maybe you can to pop his shoe and the prize would be in that?

One random element isn't the end of the world, though.