Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is bullshit and I hate it and I hope UEFA and the domestic leagues burn these clubs down instead of going along to get along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The DPRK posted:

Is the idea for this to replace Champions League games for these clubs?

Yes, seems like the idea is for them to stop playing the Champions League and instead play in their own guaranteed sandbox where they make more money and can never get the spigot turned off by being crap and finishing seventh.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

araeris posted:

I think the point the controlling interests of these 12 (but really 15) clubs have made is the domestic leagues would be burning down their own houses if they tried. The revenue that the domestic leagues and Champions League enjoy come overwhelmingly from fans of these teams.

What would be the asking price for the sponsorship of a London derby between West Ham and Crystal Palace? What is the overseas TV revenue going to be for your European final between Leicester City and *trip to Wikipedia* ...Roma?

It sucks, but it seems inevitable that the super rich oligarchs would eventually turn on the slightly-less rich aristocrats that pretended to be in control of the situation. This is either the endgame or all the leverage needed to cause the domestic leagues and UEFA to bend backward as far as required to maintain the illusion of status quo.

Nationalize football clubs.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bawfuls posted:

The thing about American pro sports league structures is they’re pretty good at suppressing wage growth relative to revenues over time because the owners all act in concert.

As far as prestige, that’s still up in the air of FIFA bans superleague players from World Cup participation no? Or do most of the best players in the world not care about the World Cup now?

Knowing FIFA, a week from now they'll probably do the old switcheroo and get on board with the super league and then a month from now they'll announce that, totally unrelated, Qatar 2022 will now be known as the JP Morgan FIFA World Cup

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Collateral posted:

Boris has stated that he will do everything he can to stop this. Which is nothing at all. Then will get a massive bung so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't even know what sport other than the wall game he follows.

Boris's favourite sport is hunting the poor

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I saw a hilarious suggestion that supposedly the cities that these teams get their names from could choose to sue them over using the city name without a trademark or some dumb bullshit like that, and in the least likely but definitely funniest outcome they could force the teams to rename themselves, giving us literal PES names like Merseyside Reds instead of Liverpool FC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Player registrations are shaky legal ground that no major club will want to challenge too intently, I would think. But if we're burning it all down anyway let's dig into employment law.

The way to psychologically reunite Brexit Britain and the EU is by joining together in a concerted effort to consistently apply labour law to footballer contracts, motivated out of pure spite towards the Super League.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bayern Munich statement:

quote:

FC Bayern did not participate in the planning of a Super League....FC Bayern welcomes the reforms of the Champions League because we believe that they are the right step for the development of European football. The modified preliminary round will contribute to more tension and emotionality in the competition.

I don’t think the Super League will solve the European clubs’ financial problems caused by coronavirus. Rather, all clubs in Europe should work in solidarity to ensure that the cost structure, in particular the players’ salaries and the fees for agents, are adjusted to income in order to make European football more rational.

Translation from German: you fools, you utter fools, we were about to get more money out of the Champions League and use Covid as a chance to crack down on player salaries and agent fees, and now you've ruined that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

For people wondering why this would double the CL for broadcast rights you have to remember that they’re planning each team to play more than twice as many games than the CL does each season, 18 plus quarterfinals onward vs 6 plus top 16

Which is also a big hint that they’re looking at this with half a mind to have this as the only football they play each season

Kroenke at least also wants the quarterfinals etc. to be played using a US-style playoffs system which would mean more games than the usual two leg CL knockouts.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is my impression correct that labor law with regard to football players something everyone involved is trying very hard not to get a court to look at too closely?

Yeah pretty much. Nobody wants labour laws like "an employee can give two weeks' notice and then go work for a rival company" applied to football clubs even though when you really get down to it footballers are employees like anybody else.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

greazeball posted:

will the ESL have VAR?

or will it be SUPER VAR???

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/19/revealed-unpublished-super-league-document-justifying-breakaway

quote:

“The Super League ownership and governance structure is designed to allow us to rapidly adopt and incorporate new ideas into the competition. Whether it’s changes in live match distribution formats, technology-enhanced rule implementation or player development, we can no longer rely on external bodies to drive progress in these areas.”

Super VAR

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

getting really tired of these racist takes that boil down to "asian and african fans are just inherently different from european fans"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cadfael posted:

lol thats the first ex-player ive seen make postive sentiments towards this in any way, what a total oval office. Are there any others??? Jozy quite rightly re-tweeted this https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1384252327691898886 and Micah Richards made a similar point about uefa on the radio before the game :hfive:

I assume Philip Lahm is for it because he wrote an entire article less than a week ago about how a super league was a wonderful idea and we should all welcome it as the future in football-related brand content.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384276887761940489?s=20

lmao football would DIE if jp morgan didn't give a few clubs a bunch of money

was just about to post this same one, this poo poo is ludicrous

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384271059344498689

literally trickle-down economics

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1384271059344498689

Florentino "Pyramid Scheme" Perez

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Why would the game between Spurs at 14th and Inter at 8th on the table be more intense if there's no relegation or competition to qualify for at the top of the table? Hoping to get into the playoffs?

everybody will be thrilled to watch 10th-most valuable franchise The Tottenham Hotspurs, at 10th in Group A, play their dead ringer final match against 11th-most valuable franchise The Milan Internationals, at 9th in Group A, with playoff hopes long since gone, because those matches are more meaningful and popular than watching those same teams struggling to finish 4th while playing against teams fighting not to get relegated from a real league. This is the defining premise behind the Super League, and it's proven because everyone's favourite matches are the ones at the end of the season where two midtable sides who will neither get relegated nor get into Europe battle it out to see who finishes 11th.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

err posted:

There is no going back. This has been planned for awhile, I'm sure these clubs and ESL have contingency plans in place to deal with negative fallout.

It's been planned for a while but that doesn't mean they have contingency plans. So far it seems like the clubs are legitimately surprised by the extent of the backlash and some of the non-ringleaders are shocked that the ringleaders weren't more prepared for this and didn't even have basic poo poo like a consistent media strategy sorted out before making the announcement. It's an ad hoc shambles from top to bottom, which is exactly what you should expect from a bunch of greedy billionaires biting JP Morgan's hand off as a way to get out of the unsustainable debt they've wracked up by only ever thinking three months ahead for the last two decades.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

What does this even mean though? Is the super league banning fans? Florentino Perez says he's doing this because it's what the fans really want, after all.

The super league is about removing competition.

"Football is nothing without [legacy] fans" - Sir Matt Busby

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

webmeister posted:

I know the discussion has gone on for years, decades really, but I've read a few things suggesting that it's literally something they slapped together in the last few days and shat out into the world

Remember that just a few years ago two of the ringleader clubs couldn't complete a major transfer because of a fax machine malfunction. That's the level of competence and foresight we're dealing with here.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Why not?

Relegation is more than 30% drop in turnover overnight, Swansea were down ~50% with the first parachute payment. The PL clubs pleading poverty are the same ones spunking tens of millions on transfer fees every summer. Ooh those poor owners why won't someone think about the billionaires. If the FA and UK government play ball it's not a problem anyone should lose sleep over.

Also football survived for over a century without massive international TV rights income. Some clubs would absolutely face financial hardship in the short term if the PL bubble burst, whether from a super league or anything else, but ultimately the whole point of a league pyramid is that even if some clubs unsustainably overinflate their finances and collapse, other clubs can take their place at the top. Funnily enough, that is in fact the entire thing the super league is trying to avoid, because clubs like Madrid and Barcelona are terrified of going bankrupt and getting replaced.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jippa posted:

I keep reading that owners/chairmen etc "didn't expect this reaction". That has to be nonsense right?

They're dumb as hell op.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Really funny moment on a Liverpool fan podcast/channel yesterday was a viewer question asking what's stopping Liverpool or any team from just relocating to somewhere else. The 3 "hosts" all stopped, mouths open, and they were all like, well poo poo, nothing I guess.

We are the Abu Dhabi Reds, This Means More.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I saw one analysis that said the proposed Super League model basically takes American sports and makes them even more inequitable because yes, American sports are a closed shop money printer, and yes there's huge disparity between the richest and poorest teams, but also they've at least tried to level the playing field a little bit through things like the draft system prioritizing the worst teams and leaguewide salary caps meaning the richest teams have a little less ability to just buy their way to the top. As a result, good teams come and go, sometimes rich and successful teams turn to poo poo despite having the highest revenue, and even bad teams can eventually win titles. The Super League proposal takes the closed shop money printer and gets rid of the token concessions to fairness, which makes it even more transparently a huge cash grab than the usual American sports structures.

It also doesn't help that all the people behind it keep giving media interviews where they say "yes, actually the point of this is for us to make more money than we currently make."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Roman Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour saving football, who would have thought

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Supposedly the Chels players told the club they wouldn't play for it anymore if they got banned from internationals.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also I'm copy/pasting this from the Guardian as a counter to all the fuckers who say "oh well the super league would appeal to Asian fans so therefore..."

quote:

The view from India: “I’ve seen a lot of people saying ‘The fans living in Asia or Africa will LOVE seeing Real Madrid playing Manchester City every week for 23 years’ as a point against the ESL,” writes Arvasu Kulkarni. “Well, that could not be further from the truth. I live in India, and watch Manchester United on the telly every chance I get.

“I love that club as much as the people who live in Manchester and are lucky enough to be able to go to Old Trafford every week. I shed tears of joy when Scott McTominay scored the winner in the Derby last March that were just as real as the screams of joy that rung in Old Trafford. And I was just as disgusted and heartbroken when the announcement was made on Sunday. And it wasn’t just me. Everyone I know who watches football hates this idea. We’re a group of people who may never even get to see our teams (like United, Barcelona or Chelsea) play live in Europe and we still despise this idea.

“We don’t know what it feels like to be a season-ticket holder, or what it is like to go to your first game with your father. But we know the ESL’s only aim is to destroy football. The reason we stay up to 12:30am to watch United play out a soulless 0-0 draw against Real Sociedad is because we know what football is about, even if we live thousands of miles away, and we know that the ESL forgets all that. It forgets you, the fans in England, and it forgets us, the fans who stay up late into the night to watch the teams you built only for us to be derided as ‘plastic’ and ‘not real fans’ in the ESL conversation.” Thanks Arvasu.

because gently caress anybody, from posters in this thread up to and including florentino perez, who thinks fans from around the world are easily distracted by some new shiny thing and don't reject this as the greedy bullshit that it is

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

rear end cobra posted:

Feeling empty and disappointed the lols didn't last longer

although fleeting, it's been nice having the gang together for some lols

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao this really has been quite a day

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Apparently they're all going to have a Zoom meeting now

They all want to yell at Perez to his face

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

oliwan posted:

Guess there's relegation after all

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/KuperSimon/status/1384587075115233284

https://twitter.com/KuperSimon/status/1384587419425681420

https://twitter.com/KuperSimon/status/1384590995405352962

https://twitter.com/KuperSimon/status/1384591742519988229

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

stakeholders stakeholders stakeholders Stakeholders Stakeholders Stakeholders STAKEHOLDERS STAKEHOLDERS STAKEHOLDERS

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

doesn’t the Spanish or Madrid government just do a really shady deal every time Real needs money, like “oh we’ll buy this shack beside your training ground, does €750,000,000 sound good?”

Franco's ghost looking down on Florentino Perez, "You're doing a great job son, a great job!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
goon project, let's buy Arsenal Football Club

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BUG JUG posted:

Can we move them to las vegas?

as the last two days have shown, we as owners would have absolute power to do anything we want with no consequences whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There's now talk about undoing some of the recent CL changes, especially the plan to let in teams that didn't qualify but have high European coefficients.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/21/uefa-could-be-forced-to-alter-champions-league-plans-amid-backlash-super-league

The funny part is that it's the ECA that's pressuring UEFA to rescind these changes, which they can do because the Super League 12 all resigned from the ECA when they announced the Super League.