Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bacon Terrorist posted:

gently caress the ESL and all the clubs who agreed to it, it did give us this joke though:

Spurs joining a European Super League is like Bananaman being called up as an Avenger.

not gonna lie, I laughed a lot at Gary Neville going on a shouty rant about people coming in and pissing away a century of history for United and Liverpool, and then basically going "spurs can leave if they want, not really fussed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

glazers bad but also sky bad and lol forever at them openly propagandizing against someone else doing the thing that they did and killing their business model

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Just make it all home and home knockouts, random draw.

Or at least that's what the Europa league should've done instead of following the champions league bloat strategy

This is one of my dumb hobby-horses that no-one likes or cares about (like all of my posting), but the old European Cup format was bad then and would be worse now despite old men's nostalgia. Brian Clough won two of them essentially by battering teams from countries that don't exist any more and then beating Malmo (which I think still exists, but I'm not going there to check) in the final.

The Champions League format isn't inherently bad, it just needs to be balanced and weighted sensibly.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Extremely casual Premier League follower here: does this mean the teams from each of these leagues (PL, etc.) are splintering off to form their own international league or are Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, etc. staying put and this is just another international tournament which grinds the PL season to a halt for a couple weeks each season?

their preference is for it to replace the existing midweek Champions League (essentially a Champions League but certain teams are guaranteed a place), but as an inevitability everyone else has basically said that the door will be closed behind them and it'll be treated as a full breakaway from existing competitions including for FIFA national team eligibility

how much of that will hold and how much of that is executives playing chicken with one another is a separate question

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

vyelkin posted:

I saw a hilarious suggestion that supposedly the cities that these teams get their names from could choose to sue them over using the city name without a trademark or some dumb bullshit like that, and in the least likely but definitely funniest outcome they could force the teams to rename themselves, giving us literal PES names like Merseyside Reds instead of Liverpool FC.

I mean, Football Club United of Manchester is literally just jumbling up the existing words until nonsense falls out (it was originally just FC United until someone at the FA pointed out that you have to be named after a place). You do have this slightly weird thing where people chant for 'FC', like it's going to be good time tonight when we go and watch Football Club and hope that Football Club win, but yeah you can put it on a hat and stuff.

So, yeah, I don't think you could be 'Liverpool FC', but you could be Liverpool Thing AFC and there's gently caress all they could do about it as long as you're not intentionally trying to imitate the old Liverpool brand to the extreme that people would be confused by it. They can't copyright the name of the city, or the colour red, or putting Rafa Benitez's face on a bedsheet for some reason. I don't even think that 'Kop' is trademarked, since it's some old-school war thing and Chesterfield also used to have a Kop stand.

https://twitter.com/FCUnitedMcr/status/1384067874608713730

Jumpers; goalposts; getting beaten at home by Guiseley; etc; etc

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

World Cup bans are a Mexican standoff that won't last. Why would a country refuse to have their best players there while dealing with a significant fan outcry? Even if that policy goes through, all of these countries will change it immediately after their first embarrassing WC performance, and then everyone will play just the same as before.

I think the suggestion is that it would come down from above via UEFA or ultimately FIFA, but the legality of that is kinda unclear right now

if that doesn't happen then yeah, I could maybe see the FA, FIGC and RFEF make a voluntary decision to exclude those players as those federations have the most poo poo to eat here and it'd be nice for them to have someone else to blame this time round, but I wouldn't expect the US to drop Pulisic in solidarity (for all the good that'd do them)

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I agree, they should chant F-CUM.

i mean, the football part is kinda implied and redundant

you want a nice neat slogan that you can cover the ground in and that the fans will eat up

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This isn't the case - e.g. Fisher Athletic (named after a saint), Airbus and all the other works teams that still lurk in the lower reaches of the pyramid, and absolutely shitloads of amateur teams with names like Premier 2 FC (an actual youth team in London, called that because there was already a Premier FC registered somewhere else). Traditionally clubs are named for a place, even if the place is just a pub, but it's not a rule.

The name came out of an extremely convoluted series of suggestions slapped down for various reasons - it started with AFC Manchester United, following on from AFC Wimbledon, but this caused every lawyer in the country to get an erection. AFC Manchester followed but was voted down because they wanted to keep the connection with United, AFC United similarly was voted down because they wanted to keep the connection to Manchester. AFC Newton Heath was already copyrighted by a sneaky bastard possibly connected to Man U. At some point they dropped the "A" (there's allegations of drama between the AFC Wimbledon people who were helping the Mancs but I don't know if that's the reason). and "FC United of Manchester" resulted from one of those "A horse designed by committee is a camel" series of meetings and focus groups.

*Allegedly* it was supposed to symbolise that they were United and blah blah blah but I prefer the theory that they chose it because the acronym "FCUM" sounds like "gently caress 'em".

(Source - my former boss was heavily involved in the early days of the club but ended up leaving because he really didn't get on with some of the others involved)

BUG JUG posted:

I am a FCUM member but don't post anything on their boards or really have any association outside of 'yup, that's a club I follow' and...yeah it's basically this. Also it's great every few weeks to see the lowest stakes fights about nothing break out in their facebook group. Great comedy, would support angry breakaway fan club team again.

I remember there being a fan vote on the name at some stage, but the working title before anything got put in place was always some version of 'FC United' so nobody liked any of the other options, then at some stage it became FCUM, that's as much as I remember tbh and no idea what was discussed at board level

I do remember liking AFC Manchester 1878 a lot, which isn't the specific reason it got rejected but can't have helped

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

oliwan posted:

When you think about it, the super league would be a competition where arsenal and spurs would be continually humiliated, their delusional aspirations finally stamped into the ground for good as they are forever in last place, the laughing stock of the league

may i remind you that they invited arsenal, a team whose last adventure in top-level european competition ended up with the score not fitting on the tv graphic

Bundy posted:

So this is all poo poo and bollocks obviously but I'm having a hard time with all the sanctimony as if it's not actually a bunch of billionaire cunts betraying a different other bunch of billionaire cunts.

yeah, I mentioned this earlier on, but Sky's incredibly transparent editorial line where they definitely heard from an unnamed source that the super league owners are planning on digging up Bobby Moore's corpse and grinding his bones with chisels and hammers like biblical kings is pretty much the only thing I've seen so far that can go in the "pro" column

a bloo bloo bloo you can't do a breakaway league and take football away from the fans; how will they keep paying us £60 a month to watch the breakaway league we financed and put behind a paywall

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

what does the super league look like if it expands to the size of an american league? the nfl has 32 teams. the mlb has 30. who is in and who is out if the super league has 30ish clubs?

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/tenyears/

that's the current ten-year uefa coefficient ranking, pick from that list depending on your intent

you've already got six english clubs, so you'd likely want to top up spain and italy (sevilla, valencia, roma, lazio, napoli) and then ajax, porto and benfica, then it's a choice of going into ukrainian money clubs or selectively picking who you want for geographic/political reasons (rangers, celtic, copenhagen, sparta prague, etc)

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

everyone is the belgian league now

hurrah

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

it seems like big football clubs run into financial trouble more often than american sport franchises

like what's going on with barca?

people from cspam got real mad when dudes said player salaries, but totally player salaries

I mean, it's super dumb to say that the players are greedy for taking the market rates that are available, but one of the biggest issues with an open league with primarily cash trades for player registrations is that as long as the clubs are bringing in about the same level of revenue, player salaries will slowly increase to swallow up 95% of earnings, particularly away from the big-name clubs with huge sponsorship/merch revenues. If you don't spend 95% of your revenue on player costs, then some other Championship team will overtake you. Plus, the higher up the pyramid you go, the more money you make, and so you either spiral up or spiral down. On top of that, you can buy a garbage team fairly cheaply, run it as a vanity project for however many years, and then dump it off into bankruptcy when you're bored. So while they've somewhat brought in rules against this, you're still often running a club against an investor from overseas who's running the club at a loss as a marketing vehicle (Leicester may have been a miracle, but they're not that much of a miracle) or for sportswashing purposes (looking at you, PSG). And that's why it's now £25 a game to see clubs in the fourth tier.

Barca and Real have their own set of stupid idiot problems where they have Presidents voted on by the members, and they're basically Rangers and Celtic if anyone in Scotland was good at football, so if you didn't win literally everything last season it's time to promise that you'll sign whoever the most currently hyped and eye-wateringly overpriced player in the world is, regardless of if they fit into the system that you're currently playing. No, it's fine, we'll just borrow more money. Nothing could go wrong, as long as revenues increase exponentially, forever.

Florentino Perez is now showing you his plan for revenues increasing exponentially, forever.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Vando posted:

It's never going to be coefficients, it's going to be whoever opens the most valuable markets or otherwise brings financial reward to the rest somehow.

oh yeah, that's just as a reference point for who's in and who's out among the current top 50-odd teams, if celtic ever got in on merit I'll give you the keys to my car

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

this is just purely an on-field ranking, correct?

my guess is that they're going to go for name/recognition/revenue over performance.

would be interesting to see the same list but sorted by revenue/worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs#Current_ranking

you'll note a correlation here

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Karl Sharks posted:

even without those literal words, it's about the framing of the issue

if you say "players salaries are to blame" the only subject in that is the player, so the fault is linked to them

you could easily frame it more correctly as FLJ's longer part of the post didn't make a single mention i caught of player agency, purely about the club owners/fans deciding to spend too much money

i mean that and recently you have oil money club specifically driving up player prices/salaries so lol

I think we're off the beaten track a bit once we get into the framing of the dialectic or whatever. One hundred percent, if people are putting the blame on the players, they're dum-dums, but there's naturally player agency involved to the extent that they're in a high-skill labour market and they're going to largely demand parity relative to other players. So smaller clubs are constantly in the position of their players demanding to be offered a choice between seeing out their contract as a star player or taking more money to go and be Chelsea's fourth-choice striker, and the answer generally comes back "THE BENCH, THE BENCH".

You can say that the owners don't have a gun to their head, and ultimately they don't, but the metaphorical gun to their head is either not making the Champions League or getting relegated, which is exactly why they've come up with a scheme that kills those risks entirely. Once it's a closed shop, they can start throwing around obscene gently caress-you-got-mine numbers like a 55% salary cap, since the worst that's going to happen is that you come last every year and make the same amount regardless.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bundy posted:

As for "English" not a single one of the ownerships bar Spurs are based in or are from England.

Technically Spurs ownership is based out of the Bahamas, so it's CONCACAF fuckery all the way down

Heavy suggestions that if anyone's going to get cold feet, it's City and Chelsea, not particularly because of any great moral concerns about the good of the game but because their ownership doesn't actually need the additional revenue and aren't willing to be dragged down if this can't ride out the PR impact

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

No idea though how much of the City/Chelsea thing is legit and how much of it is Sky trying to generate a wedge via their friends at UNNAMED SOURCE

It's not like Chelsea has a real board that's going to vote on this poo poo, and iirc even people who work for the club seem to speak to Abramovich once a year and deal with his PA the rest of the time so I somehow doubt he's giving regular briefings to Helen Chamberlain

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

webmeister posted:

they're absolutely going to make even more money by holding the games themselves in beijing and new york and melbourne and wherever

that's also the workaround for any visa issues (which are going to be fairly minimal anyway, even with brexit it wouldn't apply to EU nationals)

you might not have a right to work in the uk, but a uk company (or realistically a local subsidiary thereof) can pay you as a foreign national to do work in dubai or luxembourg or wherever else you can slam a pitch down, and there's not a great deal of recourse there

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Also give the person who didn't know Portuguese existed a custom title.

can we have a breakaway gangtag that says Super League Jegacy Fan in portuguese colours?

the best part will be not just how little sense that joke makes now, but how it'll make even less sense in future, the best kind of joke

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

dex_sda posted:

why did they buy griezmann also. like, it makes no sense even.

remember when Newcastle signed Michael Owen for what was huge money at the time and then presented him in front of a packed stadium like he was a trophy that they'd won

then his knee bent the wrong way six months later

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

the Sugar Land Skeeters

lol i literally had to google this to believe that it was a real team that actually exists, and I'm old enough to remember watching Total Network Solutions play

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Minor league baseball teams have some amazing names. Also Japanese baseball teams, i.e. the Nippon Ham Fighters.

so that's where Sleve McDichael ended up

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

barca and real but it's that star trek episode where they fight forever in a void

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

cheaper and easier option to get involved in the newcastle fan ownership scheme where it all gets donated to local charities if it goes bust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpOY4u8hL_E&t=12s

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

will a football pitch fit on alcatraz island

not wedded to a yes here but it'll make it easier to pitch to arsenalfantv

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

You already support the broncos why not own them?

you're only complicit if there's a paper trail

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bundy posted:

The various bodies that allowed the likes of the Glazers into the sport need to take measures to get them back out. Anything else just fucks over the players and fans.

100%.

My ideological position remains that if you're a Chelsea fan you deserve to fall into a grain silo full of dildos, but fundamentally there was no obligation on them to be out there protesting last night. There was no obligation on Rashford or Henderson to take a public position against it. Those things stopped this from happening, much more so than Everton putting out a strongly-worded press release.

Doing nothing to change the actual circumstances that have led to this point in favour of just taking arbitrary punitive actions that will mostly affect the people who saved football (hardworking shitposters like me, and to a lesser extent Marcus Rashford) is super short-sighted, somehow assumes that West Ham's owners are actually good and have the game's best interest at heart, and will also get thrown out of court since the FA can't just arbitrarily dock you 30 points for associating with Florentino Perez.

Ownership rules, debt controls, ticket price caps, and a big statue that says "where were you when ewar woowar was kil"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

The immediate problem that I'd see with an ESL with promotion/relegation is that even more than now, it'd quickly become hardlocked to teams from the big four leagues and maybe a couple of billionaire oil clubs. The current system at least limits it to four clubs per nation (five if the holders don't qualify) out of 32, with some effort being made to include champions of minor leagues.

If I was going to do anything, I'd be inclined to merge the Champions League and Europa League, and have six-team groups split over three days midweek. More games and more chance to get in for the big teams, and guaranteed places for the top 20+ title winners. Yes, you're going to have a bunch of boring, stupid games, but that's the nature of football and people still go to watch West Brom every week.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

The UEFA Cup, it does nothing

If you're going to keep it, it would make more sense if you excluded the top ten nations or somesuch, so it's a trophy that actually means something to the teams that win it and it gives an opportunity to put money into the SPL and other leagues where the literal garbagemen literally work as garbagemen (you'd probably need some kind of revenue split where 40% or so goes to other members of that league, else you get the Rosenborg problem, but that's probably too intricate for bad internet trophy ideas)

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Vando posted:

It would probably work best as a competition for teams that don't make it through the prelims of the CL, and with the winners automatically qualifying for the next CL. It will still be biased towards the richest remaining leagues, but at least it gives a chance to break through and be exposed to a global audience.

It's not really possible to solve a lot of the problems in football without more equitable revenue sharing, and the problem is it isn't going to happen because too many of the teams taking all the money have voting rights that prevent any structural changes. Maybe a good punishment for the breakaway clubs would be losing those voting rights for x years, and in the meantime vote in a new system that prevents them reverting everything when they're allowed back.

Absolutely, although I will also continue to bang on with my thing that there's no outcome here where all clubs become inherently equal in a vacuum. There's no reason to have only just discovered that some clubs are bigger than others, that was the case in the 70s and 80s. Liverpool in their dominant period were very well funded. Brian Clough's Derby and Forest teams were very well funded, he absolutely didn't win the league by telling poo poo cloggers to pull up their socks and tuck their shirts in, and if your dad tells you that he did, you can put him in a home.

The goal should be to create something that's long-term sustainable and competitive, and that avoids wealth being sucked upwards/hyperinflation at the bottom, not "jumpers for goalposts" poo poo from people who have some childhood Brexit fantasy about how in the olden days you'd win the FA Cup from the Third Division and then decimal currency and tikka masala came along and ruined it all. That's not something that actually ever existed in anything that could reasonably be called the modern game.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

also I'm pretty sure that "jumpers for goalposts" is now a reference to a show that went off the air before marcus rashford was born, so the whole thing of how football used to be good when i were a lad and now it's poo poo isn't even new or special

otoh football used to be good when i were a lad; it's poo poo now

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

are the german fans allowed to call someone a son of a whore yet without the refs abandoning the game

because I feel like that's a key part of the UK ownership model

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

And yet he didn't invite West Ham

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

bagsy martin braithwaite

not for united, I just need my conservatory re-doing

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

Ah I see that you’re new to La Liga.

to be fair, there's a rule that allows no-one to win la liga sometimes

like in 2004 and 2014

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Lmao that Barca and Real are basically the same.

més que un club

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

the popes toes posted:

From the train stop to an Eintracht match in Frankfurt, the crowd follows an uneven trail through a dark forest, a trail that is only illuminated by poorly lit temporary beer kiosks. There, you chug and move down the dark forest trail until you come to another kiosk, and chug again and so on, until you yourself are quite lit, unlike the dark forest from which you eventually emerge.

The unreality of the experience ends as soon as you enter the grounds, unless of course, Frankfurt wins.

also if you go to the Doctor Flotte there's a barman named Jogi who looks like he does a LOT of acid and will do magic tricks for you

and there's a giant greenhouse full of cactuses

that's my guide to Frankfurt

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

tbh i've never met an Irish Celtic fan, ever

plenty of Aston Villa for some reason and Glendenning supports Sunderland as part of his commitment to the bit, but everyone else has better things to do

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

have you only met like 2 irish people

yes

i only need my hedges trimming once every few weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If there’s a contract that the various entities have signed, public opinion literally does not matter.

I see you've not been to Italian law school lately