Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Teams thus far:

Juventus
Manchester United
Liverpool
Chelsea?
Manchester City
Arsenal
Tottenham (lol)
Real Madrid
Barcelona
A.C. Milan
Atletico Madrid
Inter Milan

oh....

oh god...

it's all come crashing down!!!!!!!!!

Someone said put this in the OP and i guess I should do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_fd012dz0

BUG JUG fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

To be 100% honest, I think Gary Neville's position on this is the correct one: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/18/gary-neville-premier-league-clubs-super-league-european-liverpool-manchester-united

Burn every one of these loving clubs so bad they never think to reach for this again. Otherwise, they'll do it again in 5-6 years.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Teddybear posted:

I haven't been paying attention to any of this for a while; did this just come out of nowhere as a surprise? This seems insane.

It's been talked about off and on for years. Always sort of lurking in the background that the Glazers wanted it and maybe Real Madrid, but never any details and never any real momentum behind it. Seems since they've got JP Morgan on board, now the brakes are off and they're going to make a go of it. Which I hope nobody watches and the idiots pulling this lose money, but that's not how global society works anymore apparently.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

WHERE IS SPURS ON THIS LIST:

https://twitter.com/james_corbett/status/1352652217900265472?s=20

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Watch the super league teams create a rival international tournament where they force the super league players to appear for shadow national teams and leach the money out of it.

so we're five minutes away from becoming international cricket.

cool

cool.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

wait until US Arsenal fans realize that Stan Kroenke is a cheap fucker and only wants this Super League for the easy payouts, and Arsenal gets clowned on by the European elite every year and ends up in the bottom half every season

keep going i'm almost there

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This isn't the case - e.g. Fisher Athletic (named after a saint), Airbus and all the other works teams that still lurk in the lower reaches of the pyramid, and absolutely shitloads of amateur teams with names like Premier 2 FC (an actual youth team in London, called that because there was already a Premier FC registered somewhere else). Traditionally clubs are named for a place, even if the place is just a pub, but it's not a rule.

The name came out of an extremely convoluted series of suggestions slapped down for various reasons - it started with AFC Manchester United, following on from AFC Wimbledon, but this caused every lawyer in the country to get an erection. AFC Manchester followed but was voted down because they wanted to keep the connection with United, AFC United similarly was voted down because they wanted to keep the connection to Manchester. AFC Newton Heath was already copyrighted by a sneaky bastard possibly connected to Man U. At some point they dropped the "A" (there's allegations of drama between the AFC Wimbledon people who were helping the Mancs but I don't know if that's the reason). and "FC United of Manchester" resulted from one of those "A horse designed by committee is a camel" series of meetings and focus groups.

*Allegedly* it was supposed to symbolise that they were United and blah blah blah but I prefer the theory that they chose it because the acronym "FCUM" sounds like "gently caress 'em".

(Source - my former boss was heavily involved in the early days of the club but ended up leaving because he really didn't get on with some of the others involved)

I am a FCUM member but don't post anything on their boards or really have any association outside of 'yup, that's a club I follow' and...yeah it's basically this. Also it's great every few weeks to see the lowest stakes fights about nothing break out in their facebook group. Great comedy, would support angry breakaway fan club team again.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

lol leeds offered liverpool "earn it on the pitch" shirts for warm-ups and it made klopp mad

leeds being back in the PL has been great trolling.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Slaapaav posted:

its time to kill all the rich people and end capitalism imho

if this is what causes that, i welcome it.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Vando posted:

it's not just americans with the dipshit takes, everyone settle down

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1384219019390033927

hi, yes, i would like to out myself as the dumbest motherfucker. let me list all the bad teams I support.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Big Parliament threatens to block foreign player visas.

John Henry on call to 'Pool lawyers: C-can they d-do that?

Big Johnny Law: Ya ya dumb fuckin yank they can.

Henry: im ruined

*fin*

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

my favorite John Henry story: he once decided that the local sports radio station that doesn't carry the Red Sox games was being too mean to him, so he went -- without telling anyone -- and demanded to be put on air with the biggest loving trolls in the state to defend himself, and got ripped for like an hour. It's great.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

The English FA should wait till these dumbass clubs shelve their stupid unworkable plans and then relegate them anyway for being greedy cunts.

they should just ban Americans from owning things outside of America. Complete the work the American Revolution started.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

this is the guy running liverpool right now, just getting clowned on for an hour. very relevant rn because he might turn up to BBC4 radio and try it again: https://985thesportshub.com/episodes/sports-hub-10th-anniversary-extra-the-whole-john-henry-interview-with-felger-mazz/

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

the popes toes posted:

Ah, thanks. So it was "Those loving Germans ratted us out, those bastards!" Or the French. Or the Dutch. Good on them.

rare german-french collaboration someone doesn't get executed for.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Casual Encountess posted:

i just got into this dumb poo poo this year and i love that immediately im hit with football brexit

what a great year to be figuring out what teams to support

the answer is West Ham since they've caused all of this by operating above their station (in places 1-6 in the league)

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Or Leicester, for 2016.

no that's my team we're full.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

portuguese expert bawfuls can translate it for us

:iceburn:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

perfect

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

putting bets on it being Glazer. Kroneke will look for ways to move his club somewhere else.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

only if he can get London to pay for it, he's not going to use his own money for that

Welcome home Arsenal Las Vegas.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

fixed the op to reflect the latest news

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

powerful statement from the Reds

FOR ME TO POOP ON

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

god kronke is a baby. it's hilarious.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Great updates to the op, op

fixed again with this latest news.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

mods make radium code randomly strikethrough the club names in the OP when you load the page.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

my shitpost tier garbage thread finally achieved greatness.

well done everyone.

well done.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

also loving Arsenal's whoopsie doodle we made a mistake attempt at getting into good graces. you dumb fucks.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

TOTTENHAM WAS GOING TO BE KINGS. KINGS OF EUROPE I sob into my pint glass

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

brexit means UEFA will give the top six English clubs money and screw everyone else.

that seems correct.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

there we go Nev, get in there.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

quick someone find out shipley's take on all this.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

vyelkin posted:

goon project, let's buy Arsenal Football Club

Can we move them to las vegas?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

100% chance that once their super league was established they'd allow new teams to join by paying huge expansion fees that the existing owners all divvy up just like what happens in the ponzi scheme that is MLS

just wait til MLS creates European franchises associated with old clubs, then slowly transforms those franchises into the old clubs, and buys all their players for suspiciously cheap, and form their own super league.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

your friend wicka posted:

Bercowns, no one tell me a single bad thing about this man

He prorogued parliament for venial reasons!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

*ahem*

Me stakeholders!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

the new Super League has been decided.

no get ancelotti off the bench noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Burning American flags in your streets??? You had better thank your lucky stars you're white or we would bring you some fresh new democracy for this outrage!!!!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

freeedr posted:

I keep going over all of this but I just can’t see where it all went wrong

legacy fans cocked it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I support this as a legacy fan.