Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My big complaint with Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is that Layton's unflappable nature really stands out and becomes extra boring when paired up with Phoenix's scrappy seat-of-his-pants scrambling, especially when Layton gets to spend the entire climax leading you by the nose to the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait

Is the victim in the first case seriously motherfucking John Watson???

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Still in the first case, really loving the evolution of Ryunosuke's desk slam. He's got the nervous one where he doesn't even seem to know what he's doing and gets overly focused on his hands, the more eager one, and the really confident one where he just slams his palms down flat like Phoenix. It's really cool.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dogen posted:

Man I sure got hung up on a red herring in the first case that drat water glass in the purse, I figured the glass was poisoned and not the bottle

Saaaaaaame

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1-2: Man, what a weird one that was!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What the gently caress

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mark out every time I move the camera to reveal Sholmes doing some weird bullshit

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hepcat posted:

I'm confused, if this has no relation to the modern games then why is a time traveling Payne the prosecutor in the first case? :confused:

Just started, but the new character designs look great so far. This game is perfect for the Switch.

It's his ancestor, because it's series tradition

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1-4 It's weird seeing Soseki Natsume as this much of a caricature but he fits in nicely with the larger-than-life AA cast and I really enjoyed his little monologue about being alone in this country and wanting to entrust his fate to Ryunosuke because they share a mother tongue.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Only just started 1-5 but it's really interesting how there have been no "typical" cases of yet. 1-1 was the standard tutorial, 1-2 had no trial, 1-3 had no investigation, we didn't corner a suspect, and our defendant likely did the deed, and 1-4 was an accident the victim survived

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The soundtrack isn't hitting for me as consistently as some other entries but when it hits it really loving hits, this is one of my new favorite tracks in the series (think it first plays at the very end of 1-4):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_UHhN78C5E

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just got to the trial in 1-5, and oh my god juror number six

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-1 Auchi's haiku at the end is broken! The last line is six syllables goddammit! :argh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Omg G1-3 this is a way cooler version lestrade than the normal guy

They should give every version of Lestrade a grenade launcher tbh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-2: Holy poo poo, Soseki and Shamspeare's argument was seriously "who would win in a fight, Romeo or Juliet," ahahahahahaha

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-2 Trial: oh my god the same entire jury (except Joan Garrideb for obvious reasons) from the trial two days earlier, I'm losing my mind

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I had to turn on Story Mode for the investigation in 2-2 because some of the prompts were just tiny and I couldn't find them by myself (particularly during the skin prints section), and now I don't have the trophy for that case and it's gonna bother me forever :negative:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-3: ACAB except Gina :3:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thehoodie posted:

Question I forgot about 1-3: What happens if you say McGilded could still be guilty at the end of the chapter?

I did, it doesn't really change things. To my recollection the judge just waves it off because the jury is unanimous for "not guilty."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-3's second investigation is so loving long, holy poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's entirely possible and even semi-likely there's one case in AA7 that's completely removed from everything else like 6-4 was where you play as Apollo and the prosecutor is Nahyuta. Or maybe he's the assistant like Blackquill was in 6-4, who can say?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PlasticAutomaton posted:

2-3 has been driving me crazy with some amazing dick move contradictions that don't work with the normal system and I am quite annoyed and stuck. Could use some help.

2-3, trial part 3. So I'm on the first part of Drummer's testimony, exposed the first contradiction about the birdcage on statement 4 and got the testimony amended. Following it up with pointing out the stage photograph or the balloon photograph don't do a thing, so I'm looking at statement 3 about the body double, but presenting the glass shard from the waxwork or the waxwork head also don't work. What am I missing?

If it's the part I'm thinking of you need to prove there's somewhere else the birdcage could have fallen from. What evidence do you have that shows this?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

The AA universe has only recently become 3D and everyone forgets apart from the protagonist

It's like that Calvin and Hobbes strip where Calvin's dad is loving with him and telling him the world wasn't in color until like the 1930s and that's why old film is black-and-white

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-4, investigation: I was just thinking we'd gotten pretty far in this case with no malfeasance and welp, RIP to a real one

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize Phoenix's "real" name isn't supposed to be "Nick" and Maya just calls him that as a play on the last syllable of "Phoenix."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still don't get Odie Asman tbh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

2-4 Did I miss when we learned that Jezail Brett was Asa Shinn or is this just coming out of nowhere

I think it happened in 2-3? When Susato returns?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, just got to the actual, for-real end of the trial in 2-5. Still have the denouement, but before I forget:

Things I liked about 2-5 , MAJOR SPOILERS:

Really did not expect Klint to be the Professor, that ruled. Stronghart being OG Damon Gant was pretty predictable but pretty interesting, especially because he was also the judge. Some great music in this case as well. Amazing surrealist breakdowns from Jigoku and Stronghart.

Things I didn't love:

I eventually got over it but it's kind of a bummer that Gregson was actually in on the Reaper thing and also helped frame Genshin. Poor Gina. Also, I wasn't really into Kazuma as a prosecutor. Dude just knows more than you most of the time and hides stuff constantly until you figure it out. I get that it's because he trusts you, but it's a little lame and annoying. There is a good moment where Ryunosuke has to tell him "open your eyes," though.

Things I have no idea how to feel about :

HOLOGRAPHIC HERLOCK SHOLMES

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, but the judge trying to keep things serious leads to that annoying cross-examination where pressing Moe on the wrong statements penalizes you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tired Moritz posted:

you should be punished for braindead pressing every statement.

Not when, as is so often the case in this series, the contradiction is only revealed by pressing the least relevant statement (or just every statement)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

3-3 is a really good case.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Edgeworth cut his salary until it was negative and he poofed out of existence

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a pretty good game. The raising of the stakes gets pretty absurd but there's some very good cases and they bring back two of the best characters in the series. If you can stomach probably the least interesting prosecutor in the series it's definitely worth playing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I totally missed and/or forgot you can save at any time so you can basically sacescum. I just recall that sometimes I knew the piece of evidence I had to use but I'd use it at the wrong time or too early or something. I'm restarting Justice for All and determined to beat it this time.

Is there any time in this game or the next one when you:
1. Can miss an item or clue and gently caress yourself over?

2. Are there any time you can't just Press every single statement from a witness? I remember wondering about that.

No

Yes, very occasionally (the game usually tells you)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The main "you can't press" situation I'm thinking of besides Moe is in 3-2, at the very end, because you can only press one statement

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tesseraction posted:

I'm guessing part of the problem was the increasing reliance on the dual-screen system by the time AA6 rolled around with the seance vision sections.

Both DD and SoJ have phone ports, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a really good case (I like Ema a lot) with one or two minor hangups, imo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The vase and the video contradiction where you have to point out the locker light being on are both incredibly mean, but that case rules

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Podima posted:

(Yes, I even think she's worse than the prosecutor in Spirit of Justice.)

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah most of the times you have to use Perceive it's pretty obvious and you'll generally know which statements (and fragments of statements) to suspect.