Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
all this postulation about sharpie tests and Four Armored Men feels weird and extremely pointless.

i wish US police had better training to deal with knives because knives are the main threat, instead of having them be hair triggerologists operating in an environment of total gun saturation where they constantly feel within seconds of deadness at the hand of the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I had mentioned before that police in this country have been so cruel and terrible as an institution that it is insanely hard to trust them even in situations where evidence exists to indemnify them.

Because you know they'd be lying their asses off and covering for each other in a shroud of police nonaccountability to law if they had shot that girl in any way inappropriately or prematurely.

And if there was literally any way to deny it due to a lack of absolute and compelling evidence that they went off and murdered someone, they would do it.

And I think they deserve that, they MADE this condition for themselves at the cost of tens of thousands of lives and the intentional targeting of people of color.

So, honestly, I'm not going to feel bad for police as an institution for having ruined their credibility and association so badly that even in situations like this, where in all likelihood the officer shot someone as they were literally starting to stab another human being with deadly force, and still will be protested because the entire black community has no reason to trust them .

The least I can say is that police abolition movements are at risk if their loudest advocates end up ensnaring themselves in a compulsion to deny a cop being in the right ever even when the video kind of shows an imminently lethal threat to another person, so probably should be careful about how it goes down. Also that I'm relieved that the potential stabbing victim didn't die of the aforementioned proxy endangerment of "standing next to someone a cop decides needs to be full of half a magazine of bullets RIGHT loving NOW" because that's what cops do that get people killed even when they're not the target.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Doctor Butts posted:

I think the problem is that the officer drew his gun too early, so that by the time the girl was swinging the knife, there was no other way for him to put a stop to it in a short amount of time.

American police are pretty poorly trained to handle people with knives because they're trained with stimulus response for "everyone has guns because it's America" -- lethal threats basically move up to start shooting in seconds

This is both a our cops problem and a the entire nation and all its laws problem at once

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
i don't want us to adopt policy that rehabilitates guns by letting cops think they're allowed to have them at the ready as a 'nonlethal' option or something they can discharge in crowded neighborhoods as a 'warning'

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

vuk83 posted:

Fun fact about the Danish police.
It takes 28 months to be a policeman in denmark.
You have to be 21 years old to start.

Very inefficient. Here in the US you just have to be a sociopathic high school grad who's starting to lose the high from years of socially tormenting your peers and wants a venue to make it legally physical