Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, that's exactly it. She was 16. Clearly she didn't deserve to die. This was a horrible outcome regardless of the circumstances. I do think, however, there's a very high probability that no one outright committed the criminal act of manslaughter or murder, but a bunch of people each did a few things that led to this child's death.

It's horrific, and anyone who says she deserved to die can go gently caress themselves, but life isn't clear cut. I keep comparing this to a plane crash investigation because I honestly think it's very similar: someone died, and chances are good they absolutely did not deserve it on any level, regardless of any one action on their part which may have been a serious mistake, or on any other person's part. There were many factors that led to this situation, and all of them need to be investigated and addressed, because we can't simply accept this outcome. We cannot accept that a 16-year-old is dead over a trivial dispute; this should be, and is, hateful to us. But that doesn't mean anyone is singularly responsible for Ma'Khia's death. If there were actions by other people that resulted in the situation where the officer felt he had no choice but to use deadly force, they bear responsibility as well.

I think this is a reasonable read of the situation.

It’s a loving tragedy all around and one where there is no righteous anger to be found. Just sadness. Sadness that a 15 year old kid is dead. Sadness that that 15 year old kid tried to kill someone. Sadness that she was failed by her parents, the system at large and the police.

I get everybody twisting into knots to see it how they want to see it because fundamental injustice and unfairness like this just can’t exist, right? There has to be a bad guy. Somebody responsible.

Sometimes poo poo is just hosed and to me, that seems to 100% be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The cops can still be bad, the system can still fail and a cop can be justified in their use of force to keep someone from being stabbed. This whole thing loving sucks.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Bel Shazar posted:

This particular instance is the poster child for how even if the specific circumstances are not criminal they show what happens when you send the wrong person with the wrong skills and the wrong tools to a situation like this.

Better no police than these police.

I honestly don’t understand this take.

Better to let someone get stabbed and get killed by a child than it is to kill that child?

What about the right of pink sweater to not be murdered?

As much as I hate defending the loving police, are we watching different videos? How did the cop make Ma’Khia decide to try and murder someone?

The situation is terrible and the result of numerous failures of the system, none of which are borne by the specific policeman in this video who was trying to keep a girl from being killed in front of him.

Again, it’s loving tragic — I wish that Ma’Khia had known the value of life before she tried to take it. But the moment she chose to pick up and knife and move it in a stabbing motion towards someone else, the cop had to act.

That’s not copaganda, that’s a human being seeing another human being about to be stabbed in a melee that they had witnessed for all of ten seconds. I would hope that anyone would do the same were my child about to be stabbed. Conversely, if my child valued life so little that they were going to stab someone, I would hope someone would protect the innocent in that situation as well.

... and no, I’m not celebrating a dead child. It’s heartbreaking and I wish the cops had been there sooner to de-escalate (hopefully), I wish the economic system we had didn’t punish PoC and put them into neighborhoods where they fight over scraps, I wish the war on drugs hadn’t happened and broken up PoC families over and over. There’s so much racist poo poo that contributed to this happening.

This is the convergence of a few racist systems meeting each other, but the act itself — keeping an innocent from being murdered — was the only one that could have been taken in that moment of a knife being thrust at someone’s torso/neck.

One more time for clarity — I wish Ma’Khia was alive. But the moment she tried to murder someone else —and that’s what stabbing a knife towards someone’s torso/neck is— she gave up her right to safety in that moment.