Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

qirex posted:

googling a review of it doesn't seem like too much of an ask though

And barring that, listening to the howls of the people at your company that did read the book is probably the next best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
really makes you wonder how many times these things do manage to get caught before people are hired.

maybe apple has a 97% effective sociopath filter, and there are just that many sociopaths

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

like i mean i've interviewed plenty of people that have written books I've never read, and the idea that its some kind of wild oversight that no one sat down and read this novel a dude wrote seems weird
It's not a novel, it's a book about his time working on ads at Facebook, the thing that presumably got him the job offer from apple. It also got a fair amount of attention and presumably they could have easily found a copy lying around.

It's not like he wrote a self-published fantasy novel that nobody read and it turned out it had something horrible buried on page 974 or something.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 13, 2021

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mystes posted:

It's not a novel, it's a book about his time working on ads at Facebook, the thing that presumably got him the job offer from apple.

It's not like he wrote a self-published fantasy novel that nobody read and it turned out it had something horrible buried on page 974 or something.

its 200 pages and i aint readin it

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not telling you to read it Rotor.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

I'm not telling you to read it Rotor.

im just mad about unrelated things and need somewhere to post it off

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

im just mad about unrelated things and need somewhere to post it off
The YOSPOS approved method is to start a pointless fight with Tori.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

The YOSPOS approved method is to start a pointless fight with Tori.

im bored of that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk maybe tomorrow

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
in basecamp news, some more people quit: https://twitter.com/_breeeeen_/status/1392890221994332169

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like my job and if they offered me 6 mos severance tomorrow I might take it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rotor posted:

So a while back at an old job we were interviewing for new engineering managers who'd oversee all devs (around 40-50 at the time). So they had various leads come in to interview him, and i was one of them.

The guy was probably 32? Real handsome and tanned with shoulder-length hair. Gave me his card, he had some ridiculous east coast wealth name like Westerbrooke or something.

I decided to ask him about a 2 year gap on his resume. He told me he'd taken the time to backpack around India and that it really "opened his eyes to a lot of things" and recommended I give it a try someday.

I went through his list of jobs. None were longer than two years. There were i think 8-10 of them. Every one of them was either "founder" or "cto" or "VP of Engineering" and, as it turns out, each was either one he'd started himself or one that his friends had started. They all failed due to some variation of running out of money. Every single one of them.

So a couple days later we all got together for a debrief. Everyone in the room loved him, praised his extensive experience as a high powered engineering leader and noting his extensive industry experience. Other than myself, a total of zero people noted that his resume was a litany of failure and all his experience was at being a massive failson money pit.

Exec hiring is a farce.

Lol I knew a guy exactly like this, he was a real smooth talker and managed to charm everyone. After college I saw an article that was raving about his "revolutionary" biomedical startup in the local paper.

I met one of his coworkers at a MTG event and they mentioned that their CEO didn't know anything but took credit for all the work they were doing. :allears:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

qirex posted:

I like my job and if they offered me 6 mos severance tomorrow I might take it

yeah they're really hard filtering for hardcore loyalists and true believers with this move.

surely a net positive for workplace culture

especially when you get to numbers like this, it feels kinda like colony collapse disorder, where you should take the severance while it's being offered, before the company shuts down with no notice (because lol dropped below WARN act threshold) and no funds for severance

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
broad offers of voluntary redundancies or severance are a great way to ensure you only keep employees who are absolutely sure they are unemployable elsewhere.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
yeah, even if you were happy and fine with staying before half the company quit doesn't mean you'll want to stick around after half the company quits

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
that was my takeaway. even if youre happy at the company and had no plans to move on, you really have to wonder if its a good idea to pin your future to a ship that just had half its crew jump overboard, especially if theyre offering 6 months salary to go out into a red hot job market

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

yeah, even if you were happy and fine with staying before half the company quit doesn't mean you'll want to stick around after half the company quits

idk man at this point you can probably just walk into management positions

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pokeyman posted:

this is where I get confused with pinboard. he retweets this https://twitter.com/jonst0kes/status/1392879799727796229

but it seemed, from the outside, like there was a sizeable outcry from employees who do not want to work with this new hire? why is that bad but other worker solidarity is good? what was supposed to happen here?

yeah like if you've got two thousand employees signing on in two hours that "hey this guy loving sucks" then, idk, you should probably listen to them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FMguru posted:

that was my takeaway. even if youre happy at the company and had no plans to move on, you really have to wonder if its a good idea to pin your future to a ship that just had half its crew jump overboard, especially if theyre offering 6 months salary to go out into a red hot job market

yeah and its not like fully remote is that rare any more. i guess if you're a diehard ruby on rails person you might be kinda dead-ended but still

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Bloody posted:

yeah and its not like fully remote is that rare any more. i guess if you're a diehard ruby on rails person you might be kinda dead-ended but still

Yeah but we covered that:

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

broad offers of voluntary redundancies or severance are a great way to ensure you only keep employees who are absolutely sure they are unemployable elsewhere.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Would absolutely take a 6 month buyout, especially since its not even a big company or anything where taking the severance probably puts you on a do-not-hire list in the future

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i wonder if you can take the 6 months then get your old job back

edit: yeah that

ADINSX posted:

Would absolutely take a 6 month buyout, especially since its not even a big company or anything where taking the severance probably puts you on a do-not-hire list in the future

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nrook posted:

pinboard is the Matt Taibbi of tech and should be treated similarly

you mean he sometimes picks questionable battles but he’s better, more honest, and consistent than 99% of his peers?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

rotor posted:

i wonder if you can take the 6 months then get your old job back

edit: yeah that

Oh I meant more like, who cares if they put you on a do not hire list (they probably do). Base camp dot com is probably not going to be one of the 2 or 3 mega companies that will rule our bleak cyberpunk future. I wouldn't want to close the door on one of those.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

its 200 pages and i aint readin it

rotor we're all waiting for ur book report

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

rotor we're all waiting for ur book report

Look, ok, fine, I admit it, I never learned to read - there, are you happy now? [runs out of room crying]

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
shouldn't have turned down those cue cards

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

a friend of mine is one of the people who took the basecamp deal, he’s a cool dude who absolutely deserves a better job than that and I’m happy for him that he is out of there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kitten smoothie posted:

a friend of mine is one of the people who took the basecamp deal, he’s a cool dude who absolutely deserves a better job than that and I’m happy for him that he is out of there
plz try and pry some hilarious details about how it all went down out of him and report back

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I wonder what its like for those left behind, to go through 43% of tickets and bugs and projects and move them from “in progress” back to “ready”.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ADINSX posted:

Oh I meant more like, who cares if they put you on a do not hire list (they probably do). Base camp dot com is probably not going to be one of the 2 or 3 mega companies that will rule our bleak cyberpunk future. I wouldn't want to close the door on one of those.

fwiw you can just tell amazon recruiters to gently caress off and they'll keep contacting you so im not really sure they care about do not hire lists

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bloody posted:

fwiw you can just tell amazon recruiters to gently caress off and they'll keep contacting you so im not really sure they care about do not hire lists

got contacted by an amazon recruiter two weeks after interviewing with them and being rejected, so I’m guessing they have no lists at all whatsoever

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i have an email chain that i add amazon recruiters to when they contact me saying they're the nth, please stop

it's at 9 now, but i started at the 14th or 15th email

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it recently came out that amazon also hires people specifically to fire them during performance reviews because they have to get rid of the “worst” people

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

it recently came out that amazon also hires people specifically to fire them during performance reviews because they have to get rid of the “worst” people

its just ballmer stack ranking (in turn stolen from welch at ge)

nadella came in, did a purge of ballmer peeps. ballmer humself hosed off to own a sports team but his minions ran to amazon

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i loving hate the concept of stack ranking. and i work at amazon. hopefully the new AWS CEO turfs that poo poo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They should stack rank the c suite

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
they should stack up all the headless bodies imo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

in retrospect a really obvious effect of the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I feel like there's a niche here to just go from place to place being that guy,literally advertising yourself as 'the bottom 10%"