Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

First I will explain "politics" at my employees. Then when they try to suggest that I am wrong, I will simply tell them "hush, no politics at work." Then I will call them all together for a Zoom meeting that will be headlined by a senior manager/our resident nazi telling all of my other employees that they are the real racists here. I will sleep through this meeting. I have written many renowned books on management and I see no problem with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

So this Singer guy seems to have been playing footsie with white replacement talking points for at least a decade now, which isn't all that surprising I suppose, but lol at the history of the "no politics" founders earnestly engaging with his dumbass takes:

https://twitter.com/hagitprop/status/1388224100636758016

This thread reminds me of one bit from that article that I don't think I've seen anyone else comment on yet:

Casey Newton posted:

Along the way, he had also alienated some of his coworkers by promoting conservative views. In 2016, three employees said, he praised right-wing website Breitbart’s coverage of the presidential election in an internal forum. (About a week before rolling out the policy changes, the founders deleted nearly two decades of internal conversations from previous instances of Basecamp and its other collaboration products. Among other things, this made it more difficult for employees I spoke with to accurately describe past interactions with Singer in the forums.)

Retaining internal comms for two decades and making them accessible to all employees seems like an, uh, unconventional choice. Blowing that up in the middle of an internal controversy while announcing dramatic policy changes sure seems like a hell of a choice, too. Frankly, I'm impressed by how they took the many goofy things they were doing and then abruptly changed those goofy things in the goofiest, most dramatic, most disruptive way possible.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

rotor posted:

that's what makes it so funny

I don't ever recall seeing a corncobbing of an entire tech company before, I can't get enough of this story

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

pleasant collection of words from Jason, but a simple "mea culpa" is the easy part, the hard part will be dealing with a situation in which 1) you've lost 30% of your headcount almost overnight, 2) you did so in a way that likely reinforces any preexisting cultural problems among the remaining employees, and 3) your recruiting pipeline is now going to self-select along those lines because you did all this in the most embarrassingly public way possible. Good luck Jase, y'all are noted management experts, I'm sure you'll get this under control

Gentle Autist posted:

it’s fun to laugh at funny names, it’s dumb to keep a list of your customers’ names for the sole purpose of laughing at. this is a pretty basic respect thing, hope this helps dhh

:hmmyes:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

refleks posted:

point still holds. nazis should get fired

yeah, if I were a basecamp employee, my takeaway would've been that the nazi didn't get fired for being a nazi, he got fired "resigned" only because so many people got upset at having to work for the nazi that jason/dhh's company valuation got threatened. that probably seems like a distinction without a difference to jason/dhh, and that is indicative of the problem that was obvious to at least 35% of their workforce.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Grace Baiting posted:

lmao @ john fireball vagueposting support for basecamp's ongoing meltdown(/reckoning?) with an excerpt of their own book

best place to RIDE OUT THE STORM is opening an all-hands meeting from your bed and then cutting your camera+mic for the next several hours

I generally enjoy takes from both john fireball and pinboard guy, but in this instance I am not surprised that people who have been working on their own for more than a decade, with no coworkers, bosses, or employees to manage, have a pretty big blindspot on this issue and are offering up lovely takes as a result

Anyway, this next thing has nothing to do with basecamp directly, but it is very much the spiritual sequel to basecamp's meltdown, so I feel this is the most appropriate place to post it. Short version of the story: yesterday, the CEO of Washingtonian magazine (a Washington DC-area monthly) wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post bemoaning "erosion of office culture with more remote work", in which she not-so-subtly threatened all of her employees with stripping them of benefits by illegally reclassifying their employment status if they don't come back into the office to awkwardly stand around as someone hands out slices of stale birthday cake

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1390505948712783885

In response, the entire editorial staff of the magazine are tweeting out a statement and refusing to publish today:

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1390655605707321344

Weird couple of weeks for CEOs taking their perfectly good company and deciding to publicly light it on fire in just one post!

edit: lol here's the second-best bit, nothing like closing out your public admonishment of your own workforce with a thinly-veiled threat to fire the employees who don't spend the most time in the office kissing the boss' rear end. Also, apparently the original headline was "As a CEO, I want my employees to understand the risks of not returning to work in the office", it was only changed to the still-bad but maybe less legally-actionable "erosion of office culture" one after someone realized the original headline made the threats a little too explicit

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1390502637934497795

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 7, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

pokeyman posted:

this is where I get confused with pinboard. he retweets this https://twitter.com/jonst0kes/status/1392879799727796229

but it seemed, from the outside, like there was a sizeable outcry from employees who do not want to work with this new hire? why is that bad but other worker solidarity is good? what was supposed to happen here?

them framing it as "being mad at a metaphor in a bestselling book" is a hell of a tell on themselves. I read the extended excerpt in the Verge's article, and my takeaway was that this isn't just about that one bad line about Silicon Valley women being weak, it's an entire book where he proves he's like every other 2000/2010s-era libertarian-adjacent, casually-misogynistic young male internet rear end in a top hat who never grew out of their Hunter S. Thompson phase.

nrook posted:

pinboard is the Matt Taibbi of tech and should be treated similarly

it is a touch strange that pinboard went all out in the 2018 midterms on fundraising for progressive candidates, almost all of whom then lost, and his reaction to that defeat was... to let 2020 go (relatively) unremarked in comparison, and roll into 2021 as a defender of dudes being dudes while tossing a few occasional hints in the direction of "I don't get why everyone is still so worked up about the trump thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

nrook posted:

pinboard is the Matt Taibbi of tech and should be treated similarly

Speak of the devil, guess who just opined on the Apple hiring fiasco in entirely predictable fashion:

https://twitter.com/golikehellmachi/status/1394005747227250689