Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rotor posted:

So a while back at an old job we were interviewing for new engineering managers who'd oversee all devs (around 40-50 at the time). So they had various leads come in to interview him, and i was one of them.

The guy was probably 32? Real handsome and tanned with shoulder-length hair. Gave me his card, he had some ridiculous east coast wealth name like Westerbrooke or something.

I decided to ask him about a 2 year gap on his resume. He told me he'd taken the time to backpack around India and that it really "opened his eyes to a lot of things" and recommended I give it a try someday.

I went through his list of jobs. None were longer than two years. There were i think 8-10 of them. Every one of them was either "founder" or "cto" or "VP of Engineering" and, as it turns out, each was either one he'd started himself or one that his friends had started. They all failed due to some variation of running out of money. Every single one of them.

So a couple days later we all got together for a debrief. Everyone in the room loved him, praised his extensive experience as a high powered engineering leader and noting his extensive industry experience. Other than myself, a total of zero people noted that his resume was a litany of failure and all his experience was at being a massive failson money pit.

Exec hiring is a farce.

Lol I knew a guy exactly like this, he was a real smooth talker and managed to charm everyone. After college I saw an article that was raving about his "revolutionary" biomedical startup in the local paper.

I met one of his coworkers at a MTG event and they mentioned that their CEO didn't know anything but took credit for all the work they were doing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

im glad i dont work for you. lol.