Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
gentle reminder that these captains of industry, these people who have written NYT bestsellers on management, these new wunderkinds that were the subject of many glowing Forbes lead pieces, managed a company of approximately 55. So less people than the average american supermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

to resolve this trivial issue in a company with 55 people, Jason could have had hour-long one-on-ones with every single person in the company in a week and a half without ever missing lunch or working overtime, but instead, well,

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Hammerite posted:

we're cutting all your benefits. but we'll give you the cash value of those benefits this year for free! what's that? next year? oh... i'm needed in the basement

that thing is fine with me, as is getting rid of 360s. they said they were trading benefits for profit sharing.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

say hello to drew e. pheberson

xD

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

maybe this is me showing my rear end, but the funniest thing to me is that the person linking genocide to making fun of finish* surnames or whatever really does sound like they were being a bit extra. dhh/otherguy could've just been like "hey, whoa, name erasure is a huge problem, but come on here, folks are laughing at Phil Mahiney, not being racist about it. of course it's very easy to go from one to the other, and it's unprofessional anyway, so cut it the gently caress out, it's wrong, and it's not right."

my money is on the list being mostly like "Dick Chardnutts" with the occastional guy named Wang.

but the important takeaway is exactly this:

quote:

but instead we get....this. if people are going too far with hyperbole, the move is to say "cool your jets on the hyperbole" not light your company on fire lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

honestly none of this would be even remotely newsworthy if these dipshits hadnt been held up as management wunderkinds for the last decade or so

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its like ... idk, it's like some bigshot famous hunter getting killed by a rabbit or something.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Buff Hardback posted:

per casey newton:

basecamp employees sound easy to mortify

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

is it really cancel culture if you're just dunking on people for being dumb as hell?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Blasécamp

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"dont talk about politics at work is:

good when it means
  • Every decision isnt routed through either the chud "will this own the libs" filter or examined for liminal subtext wrt racism in the context of Derrida
  • You aren't expected to go to political events as part of your job
  • etc

bad when it means
  • You can't talk about being passed over for a promotion because you are black, gay, old or all three
  • You have zero input about who your company accepts as a customer
  • etc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the issue at basecamp is NOT about whether politics is ok at work, the issue at basecamp is the STUPENDOUSLY boneheaded reactions of two Information Age Mangement Wunderkinds to a dumbass list of funny names.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my homie dhall posted:

publicly posting the "pyramid of hate" in response to a list containing seymour butz is actually dumb as poo poo. and yeah, if the person posting the pyramid ever contributed a name it's doubly stupid

and going back over years of comment history to find the person who posted the pyramid of hate laughing at seymour butz as though that is a refutation is likewise stupid, but the only hilariously newsworthy one is the managers response, for reasons we've already noted.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i just cannot get enough of this public airing of dirty laundry

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/3/22418208/basecamp-all-hands-meeting-employee-resignations-buyouts-implosion

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

But as much as the conversation about Basecamp’s moves has been framed as “politics,” it seems important to remember that the entire affair began when a third of the company — not all of whom are among the 20 who have departed so far, by the way — volunteered to help the company become more diverse and equitable. It was only when their committee dug a skeleton out of the company closet — that list of names — that Fried and Hansson moved to shut the whole thing down.

“It was actually a positive thing we were doing,” one employee told me, marveling at the chaos that had followed. “We had identified the problem, how it happened, and vowed not to do it again. It was a company doing exactly what it should do. The founders refused to lead, and so the company was doing it itself.”

remember: these dudes wrote like 5 books about how to be great managers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

a.p. dent posted:

lmao okay yeah gently caress dhh and jason

they've already hosed themselves far, far harder than you or I ever could have

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

In Rework, Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson introduced a new path to working effectively. Now, they build on their message with a bold, iconoclastic strategy for creating the ideal company culture—what they call "the calm company."

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

doin great Jase!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

buttchugging adderall posted:

oh my god DHH could not even be bothered to GET OUT OF BED to try to save his company from imploding.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

look i know this is the worst thing that's happened to my company in 20 years but my tummy hurts

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

again, the names are funny. No one is disputing that. But keeping a list is haraam. If they are funny enough, you will remember them.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

maybe, maybe not, but as a manager and a self-professed galaxy brain you should be able to handle something like this without flying off the handle and loving up your company and reputation

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the old boy network is the real affirmative action

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

psiox posted:

the pinboard guy is pretty proud of being on team dhh and it's just incredibly disappointing

I'm not seein it but i am seeing this and agree 100%

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1387622478873169925

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

chestnut santabag posted:

Wouldn't this be a breach of customer privacy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHvYdi6Bu4

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nvrgrls posted:

I thought the pinboard guy was cool

the pinboard guy is mostly cool but there's deffo some clunkers in that catalog

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

i thought FCS was behind poo poo like stack overflow / discourse / fogbugz or whatever

snack overflow is jef fatwood

fogbugz is joel spolsky

idk who discourse is

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the talent deficit posted:

nah. stack overflow is also owned by sposky and discourse spun out of stack overflow but fog creek (now glitch) only does glitch i think. i think even fogbugz got sold

"The website was created by Jeff Atwood and Joel Spolsky in 2008.[7]"

huh. i did not remember that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

way to discredit VC critique with your own personal failings, dumbass

the dude was in bed the whole time ok cut him some slack

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

Frankly, I'm impressed by how they took the many goofy things they were doing and then abruptly changed those goofy things in the goofiest, most dramatic, most disruptive way possible.

that's what makes it so funny

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

I just wonder if there's anyone else bothering to criticize VCs

you mean like publicly successful people with a media voice? pinboard dude springs to mind.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MrQueasy posted:

del.icio.us successor.

fact: pinboard eventually bought delicious, then killed it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

when I was a telemarketer i had to call this guy and you better believe me and everyone around me had a solid chuckle

https://www.linkedin.com/in/hunt-ramsbottom-137293a/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

the most important takeaway to me is that they didn't fire the nazi

they "suspended" him "pending an investigation" then he resigned

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

refleks posted:

point still holds. nazis should get fired

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

get this:

jason fried? more like

jason................

..........fired!!!!

:monocle:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

So a while back at an old job we were interviewing for new engineering managers who'd oversee all devs (around 40-50 at the time). So they had various leads come in to interview him, and i was one of them.

The guy was probably 32? Real handsome and tanned with shoulder-length hair. Gave me his card, he had some ridiculous east coast wealth name like Westerbrooke or something.

I decided to ask him about a 2 year gap on his resume. He told me he'd taken the time to backpack around India and that it really "opened his eyes to a lot of things" and recommended I give it a try someday.

I went through his list of jobs. None were longer than two years. There were i think 8-10 of them. Every one of them was either "founder" or "cto" or "VP of Engineering" and, as it turns out, each was either one he'd started himself or one that his friends had started. They all failed due to some variation of running out of money. Every single one of them.

So a couple days later we all got together for a debrief. Everyone in the room loved him, praised his extensive experience as a high powered engineering leader and noting his extensive industry experience. Other than myself, a total of zero people noted that his resume was a litany of failure and all his experience was at being a massive failson money pit.

Exec hiring is a farce.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i am saddened to hear about the pinboard dude

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the nice thing is that the dude or dudes responsible for bringing that guy in have probably limited their career growth significantly

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

Oh come on, it's not like they didn't know he had written the book.

yeah but how likely is it that they actually read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like i mean i've interviewed plenty of people that have written books I've never read, and the idea that its some kind of wild oversight that no one sat down and read this novel a dude wrote seems weird