Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jel Shaker posted:

guess who invented them

That’s right. The Spanish

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/concentration-camps-existed-long-before-Auschwitz-180967049/

Guavanaut posted:

It's definitely something that has gotten worse in the past few decades. Earlier ITT I mentioned this article on the very modern moralism of the American Christian right.
I managed to track down a copy of the original 1971 book by Geisler that gets quoted (before the whole thing got cut up to reflect what the Christian right has ~always~ believed), and there's a very interesting passage in there regarding the morality of abortion, where (despite the author definitely being an Ian Paisley style ranting conservative going on about sinners and premarital sexhavers and so on) he argues that the intrinsic rights of any living person outweigh the rights of any potential person always in all circumstances with the following logic
In context he's making a moral case that once you start preferring fetuses to living people for moral reasons, you're started down the road that stops caring about the prisoner, and once you stop caring about the prisoner you're running straight into that Jesus speech and off to Hell. It's something he actually does (at the time) believe as a moral conviction.

The modern Christian right going "woo fetusus" seems exactly contemporaneous with them going "lol gently caress prisoners they shouldn't have done it", mass incarceration, the war on drug users, etc.

That’s really interesting, thanks. The whole prisons for profits thing is so obscene I cannot imagine how anyone squares that with any kind of real. Christian belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

I think the Black camps in South Africa meet the Nuremberg definition of 'extermination by labour'. There's not the premeditation nor industrial scale of the Nazi death camps, but extermination by indifference is still atrocity.

I feel like we need to update our language on this kind of thing because obviously the holocaust is a very different thing to a lot of other events we describe as genocidal, but these are very emotive subjects so any attempt to bring nuance to them is often met with accusations of denialism. Like, you can argue that British policy towards the Highlands following the jacobite rebellions was technically genocidal in that it sought to stamp out a particular culture that threatened the established power structures, but I don't think the way that implicitly creates an equivalence with Nazi Germany is helpful for understanding either because clearly there's a big difference between literally being marched to an industrial death camp and not being allowed to wear a kilt/speak gaelic.

British concentration camps in South Africa were again loving awful, but more tools of colonial power than anything else. That's not at all to say they weren't atrocities. I would suggest a distinction between active and passive genocide might be useful, with UK concentration camps being part of the latter while Auschwitz and maybe something like Rwanda being the former. It gets a little muddier with settler colonial states that used both strategies at different times though. But we do need to be able to soberly talk about these things without feeling like making those distinctions somehow rehabilitates any of them.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 30, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That relies on everyone involved doing so in good faith, which you certainly cannot assume.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh you're excommunicated.

Pope here, Miftan is de-excommunicated

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
oi pope ur poo poo m8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :newlol:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

crispix posted:

oi pope ur poo poo m8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :newlol:

Now THAT is worth excommunication.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CALL ME poo poo CRISPPPPPPPPPIXXXXXXX!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I feel like we need to update our language on this kind of thing because obviously the holocaust is a very different thing to a lot of other events we describe as genocidal, but these are very emotive subjects so any attempt to bring nuance to them is often met with accusations of denialism. Like, you can argue that British policy towards the Highlands following the jacobite rebellions was technically genocidal in that it sought to stamp out a particular culture that threatened the established power structures, but I don't think the way that implicitly creates an equivalence with Nazi Germany is helpful for understanding either because clearly there's a big difference between literally being marched to an industrial death camp and not being allowed to wear a kilt/speak gaelic.

British concentration camps in South Africa were again loving awful, but more tools of colonial power than anything else. That's not at all to say they weren't atrocities. I would suggest a distinction between active and passive genocide might be useful, with UK concentration camps being part of the latter while Auschwitz and maybe something like Rwanda being the former. It gets a little muddier with settler colonial states that used both strategies at different times though. But we do need to be able to soberly talk about these things without feeling like making those distinctions somehow rehabilitates any of them.

I've heard someone split them into "negligent genocide" for things like the Irish and Bengal famines, or starvation and epidemics in the concentration camps, where the deaths were technically accidental even if anyone with half a brain could see them coming, "indifferent genocide" for things like the clearances or enclosures where the intention isn't to kill the victims but just to stop them being inconvenient to the rulers and if they die, they die, and "active genocide" for actual attempts like the Holocaust or Rwanda to actively eliminate a people.

However this was a tanky attempting to explain how Serbians were really cool dudes and it wasn't there fault dumb Albanians and Bosnians kept getting in their way, so I'd use it with caution.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Venomous posted:

Pope here, Miftan is de-excommunicated

Re-communicated. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/concentration-camps-existed-long-before-Auschwitz-180967049/
That’s really interesting, thanks. The whole prisons for profits thing is so obscene I cannot imagine how anyone squares that with any kind of real. Christian belief.
I think the last high profile American evangelical type who actually cared was Johnny Cash. He spent a lot of the 60s staking his career on free prison concerts, prisoners' rights, Native American rights, and so on in the 60s and 70s, and it's very hard to imagine a modern (post 80s) equivalent doing that and being seen in the same light that he was.

What originally struck me about Geisler's statement is how nonsensical it sounded at first reading. "If you're an absolutist on fetal personhood then eventually you'll end up supporting police brutality and mass inhumanity to 'lesser elements' of society" doesn't follow logically in a direct A, therefore B sense.

But it's exactly what happened in the American religious right at some point in the 80s.

I think it's at least in part because once you're fully down that rabbit hole you can caricature your opponents as being involved in mass child sacrifice, and there's pretty much nothing that's as terrible as that, so you end up with "yes, our candidate is child sex predator Roy Moore, but at least he's pro life" or "Donald Trump".

But I'm also sure that it ties in part to the neoliberal era. As you say, mass incarceration for profit is terrible, and comes with perverse incentives to 'maximize enrollment', but it's also what you get with market 'solutions' to social problems. Exploiting loopholes in human morality to get away with that is to them what marketing would be to any other company, so it would not surprise me in the least if they are promoting figures that divert outrage elsewhere, in the same way that they fund 'tough on crime' state governor campaigns.

ThomasPaine posted:

I feel like we need to update our language on this kind of thing because obviously the holocaust is a very different thing to a lot of other events we describe as genocidal, but these are very emotive subjects so any attempt to bring nuance to them is often met with accusations of denialism.
I agree, but I think as long as you're using the Nuremberg principles and their associated commentary within the scope of examining the Holocaust, preventing such a thing from ever happening again, and looking at various modern and early modern precursors, you're not engaging in denialism.

Germany finally agreed on a program of payment (and even then with guarded terms) for the Herero and Namaqua genocide, and admitted that's what it was. Last Friday. That would never have happened without a framework for investigating what a genocide or an extermination is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think there is a difference between believing in something and believing in the p-zombie-esque set of thought terminating cliches that can be derived from and superficially approximate the ideas of people who actually believe things.

You can take the superficial shell of a thing and it turns out a great many people can build their entire personality around that empty structure without at any point engaging in the meat that it would once have enclosed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I agree, but what parts those cliches or shells are made up of is a direct result of material and social conditions.

Like "Johnny Cash, conservative Christian who plays in front of a big American flag and cares deeply about poor farmers and prisoners' rights" is not a person that could exist today, it would be more like "Johnny Cash, conservative Christian who plays in front of a big American flag and cares deeply about the new Ford F-150 5.0 V8 and the babies that Hillary Clinton eats".

And you can find sources showing this in motion, and what's changed and what hasn't is what I find interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably suggest that the thing that changed is not that the same conditions produced both Cash and Steptoe and Sons, but that the latter is the product of people who liked the superficial appearances of the former but wore it like a denim jacket, rather than out of actual conviction.

Whole sections of society apparently entirely unaware and incurious about what machine the band they like are raging against, because they don't really care, it's just the aesthetics they want.

I think it is a similar progression to the modern poppy nutter, in that they fetishise the trappings of it but entirely change the message, with the latter happening in response to the existence of the former. They want the prestige of the clothing but none of the actual difficulty.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 30, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I think the Black camps in South Africa meet the Nuremberg definition of 'extermination by labour'. There's not the premeditation nor industrial scale of the Nazi death camps, but extermination by indifference is still atrocity.
That's why the 'on british soil' is doing a hell of a lot of lifting in that headline. Of course it's fine when we do it in occupied territories.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I came in here to ask if people watched Milo's standup because it was great.

Instead,

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've heard someone split them into "negligent genocide"

The UN defines genocide in 5 different factors:

quote:

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
  • Killing members of the group;
  • Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
  • Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
  • Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
  • Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I picked gdt's post because it was the latest not specifically calling him out b/c I wouldn't knife a mate like that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Instead,
The UN defines genocide in 5 different factors:
[/list]

Right, but the discussion was about the fact that there *are* differences between forced adoptions and boarding schools for native people in Canada and Australia, "leave or die" cleansings from the Trail of Tears to the Highland Clearances, and industrial slaughter like the Holocaust. Personally I think it's useful to have language beyond just calling them all genocide - which they undoubtedly were - for both the same reason we differentiate between manslaughter and murder at the individual level, and also when you're trying to get across to people that you don't need trains and gas chambers for something to be a genocide.

Also the UN definition seems to deliberately skirt around things like the Irish and Bengal famines where millions were allowed to die because it was economically and ideologically inconvenient to not let them die. This to me is every bit as much of a genocide as Rwanda (hell, per-capita, the Hunger killed way, way more than Rwanda *and* caused more displacement than the Balkan wars), because there's no way it would have happened in Surrey - those people died because they were considered less than human. Of course if we start running around acknowledging that maybe people's lives are more important than private property or profit then this leaves an awful lot of questions about... well just about everything that's happened in the world since about 3,000 BCE.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tesseraction posted:

I was there and yes it was.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

@gdt Fair point, I suppose my siding with the UN definition is because they all aim for a certain outcome regardless of how effective they are.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I was there and yes it was.

In the crowd?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tesseraction posted:

@gdt Fair point, I suppose my siding with the UN definition is because they all aim for a certain outcome regardless of how effective they are.
In the crowd?

Wouldn't say "crowd" given the restrictions but yes.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
No countries wanted any kind of international legislation banning genocide until the Holocaust, because they didn't want any interference in their domestic or colonial atrocities. Russia had pogroms against Jews, Turkey was killing the Armenians (and Greeks), and of course the UK and Belgium were doing truly appalling things in their overseas colonies. There was a fear that if you got on the wrong side of League of Nations/UN, the member countries would suddenly decide you were in the wrong, invade, and take your stuff.

The current genocide law, as Tesseraction quoted, is also a convenient summary of European history up until the 1940s. 'Passive' genocide is absolutely still genocide, and I don't think there's much of a moral distinction. Churchill knew what the consequences would be for refusing to send aid to India during the famine, because it was his own government in India was asking for help. The authorities knew what the conditions in their South African concentration camps were like and they knew that this would increase the mortality rate. I don't think you can argue that they didn't intend for people to die just because they didn't shoot them or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it matters whether people intend to or not, if you kill shitloads of people you should be in mega jail or shot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also the UN definition seems to deliberately skirt around things like the Irish and Bengal famines where millions were allowed to die because it was economically and ideologically inconvenient to not let them die. This to me is every bit as much of a genocide as Rwanda (hell, per-capita, the Hunger killed way, way more than Rwanda *and* caused more displacement than the Balkan wars), because there's no way it would have happened in Surrey - those people died because they were considered less than human.
And also to make sure it didn't happen in Surrey.

The most significant thing I was never told about the Famine is that it should more properly be called the North European Potato Blight, it swept across everywhere from Ireland to Sweden, causing hundreds of thousands of deaths in Scandinavia, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, none in England Wales and lowland Scotland, and over a million in Ireland and the Scottish Highlands.

So that means either the blight had made the decision to hop over a huge tract of land or England Wales and lowland Scotland rearranged supplies so that those deaths occurred elsewhere and you know which one it was.

(Also was a large factor in the revolutions of 1848, so that's probably another reason why that didn't happen in England.)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The really depressing thing is it's not even a new reveal - I have a copy of Solomon Steckoll's The Alderney Death Camp right here, published 1982. Not that I'm sorry it's getting noticed and re-revealed, but there's a certain feeling of gently caress, it'll just be another 9-day horror and then whoops down the memory hole again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

And also to make sure it didn't happen in Surrey.

The most significant thing I was never told about the Famine is that it should more properly be called the North European Potato Blight, it swept across everywhere from Ireland to Sweden, causing hundreds of thousands of deaths in Scandinavia, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, none in England Wales and lowland Scotland, and over a million in Ireland and the Scottish Highlands.

So that means either the blight had made the decision to hop over a huge tract of land or England Wales and lowland Scotland rearranged supplies so that those deaths occurred elsewhere and you know which one it was.

(Also was a large factor in the revolutions of 1848, so that's probably another reason why that didn't happen in England.)

More prosaically, we just didn't eat that much potato at the time. You grow potato when you have marginal soil and desperately need a staple crop that gives the absolute maximum calories-per-acre without having to leave the land fallow. Most of the potato grown in Great Britain was winter feed for cattle, because the places where it was economically sensible to grow it were more profitably used to graze cattle - you then sold the cattle and the dairy products, and bought cereals from the places with good enough soil to produce them (this has been the basic bargain of northern European agriculture pretty much for as long as it's existed).

The Irish were so completely dependent on the potato because the landlords used the vast majority of the land for grazing, leaving the tenants only tiny plots with which to sustain themselves. A significant proportion of the food imports into Ireland during the blight was feed for the cattle, because they were *expensive* to replace compared to peasants.

You had similar problems in Germany except this time the land in the areas most affected was actually the really good farmland of Prussia but the nobility used it for growing rye, a big cash crop across the central and eastern Europe, but again forced their tenants to sustain themselves from tiny plots where they could really only grow potato. Of course their version of outdoor relief was impressment into the army, and the sudden massive expansion of the Prussian military had all sorts of fun effects for the next century.

e: Obviously these are all massive oversimplifications

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
the famine-as-genocide is the part where england enclosed so much land that only perfect harvests of the best crop would keep a peasant alive (the standard European practice of the day), and then got into diplomatic slapfights with everyone that said "its bad to let people die on purpose" before eventually sending some mouldy corn over to poison the remaining survivors.

It didn't hit britain because britain wasn't entirely composed of already malnourished subsistence farmers whose pastoral lands had been stolen to be sold as entitlements within living memory. Ober posted some toff correspondences years ago that demonstrated that the response was disbelief and resentment, leading to the mouldy corn. It was a UN-compliant genocide on the second and third definitions above, and the only real doubt is whether the absentee landlord class understood enough to know it would lead to millions of deaths before they'd resolved not to back down.

It should probably also be clear that if the English had understood this, they would have done it much more efficiently to minimise potential for political repurcussions - which is what happened in Bengal, this time using an internal market to cause subsistence crop shortages, with full knowledge and intent of the consequences.

e; damnit twisto

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 30, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's true, but treating it as an epidemiological matter, as a blight, it must have passed through and massively lowered yields within England, especially around traditional potato farming (whether for food or feed) areas in East Anglia and Shropshire, before it hit the Highlands and Ireland.

That itself says a lot about material conditions in the "already malnourished subsistence farmers" way as to how excess deaths ended up distributed the way that they did.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Hundreds of thousands of people died in the US and UK this year, and it's probably at least in the tens of thousands for the marginal amount over whatever a base rate number might have been (with best policy).

I'm not suggesting that should be considered genocide, but mass death due to policy negligence isn't just early twentieth century stuff.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Venomous posted:

Now THAT is worth excommunication.

I'm excommunicating you for even talking about crispix after the horrible things he said.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Yesterday, I was clearing out bookmarks as I was duplicating the entirety of the google in my bookmark folders (again, for the nth time).

Today I noticed a new thing in my google chrome bookmarks bar called "Reading List".

I think it will make adding all those interesting links people share on here much simpler than bookmarks in the bookmark manager, and easier than finding out I have 3 subfolders with the same name in different bookmark folders.

Much as I use the 'watch later' on youtube to save links and now and then just put them on 'autoplay' to get through a few.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

That's true, but treating it as an epidemiological matter, as a blight, it must have passed through and massively lowered yields within England, especially around traditional potato farming (whether for food or feed) areas in East Anglia and Shropshire, before it hit the Highlands and Ireland.

That itself says a lot about material conditions in the "already malnourished subsistence farmers" way as to how excess deaths ended up distributed the way that they did.

Remember the blight came back twenty five years later and the land league organised rent strikes, food shipments from American-based refugees, and direct action against the work and existence of the bastard middlemen.

It went so smoothly that people actually moved back home afterwards, and then blight-stricken Connacht became the epicenter of the ghost mary maoist insurrection. It was very much about distribution, and about the closest thing Britain ever get to a truly testable hypothesis on landlordism.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Spangly A posted:

ghost mary maoist insurrection..

I've heard the apparition at knock called many a thing, but this is a new one to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's reminded me to ask if anyone has any good public links to the works of Lola Ridge to add to the reading list if nothing else.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What’s this about Milo’s standup?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Politoons cross post

South Park sucks poo poo now.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Re-communicated. :colbert:

I meant what I said. You are excommunicated for not knowing your Discordian theology.

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm excommunicating you for even talking about crispix after the horrible things he said.

Fair tbh. You are excommunicated, as we Discordians must all stick apart.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

This is exactly the difference i would draw between extermination camps and say the Irish famine. There is something morally different about an intentional desire to exterminate an entire group. Thats central to the whole thing, not something to be handwaved away.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
indeed the challenge seems to be proving the institutional "intent to destroy" in the Genocide Convention; paying attention to (a)-(e) in Article 2 misses the difficult part. Here, have a regrettably real example:

quote:

101. The Trial Chamber observes, however, that it will be very difficult in practice to provide proof of the genocidal intent of an individual if the crimes committed are not widespread and if the crime charged is not backed by an organisation or a system150.

102. Admittedly, the testimony makes it seem that during this period Goran Jelisic presented himself as the "Serbian Adolf"151 and claimed to have gone to Brcko to kill Muslims. He also presented himself as "Adolf" at his initial hearing before the Trial Chamber on 26 January 1998152. He allegedly said to the detainees at Luka camp that he held their lives in his hands and that only between 5 to 10 % of them would leave there153. According to another witness, Goran Jelisic told the Muslim detainees in Luka camp that 70% of them were to be killed, 30% beaten and that barely 4% of the 30% might not be badly beaten154. Goran Jelisic remarked to one witness that he hated the Muslims and wanted to kill them all, whilst the surviving Muslims could be slaves for cleaning the toilets but never have a professional job. He reportedly added that he wanted "to cleanse" the Muslims and would enjoy doing so, that the "balijas" had proliferated too much and that he had to rid the world of them155. Goran Jelisic also purportedly said that he hated Muslim women, that he found them highly dirty and that he wanted to sterilise them all in order to prevent an increase in the number of Muslims but that before exterminating them he would begin with the men in order prevent any proliferation156.

103. The statements of the witnesses bring to light the fact that, during the initial part of May, Goran Jelisic regularly executed detainees at Luka camp. According to one witness, Goran Jelisic declared that he had to execute twenty to thirty persons before being able to drink his coffee each morning. The testimony heard by the Trial Chamber revealed that Goran Jelisic frequently informed the detainees of the number of Muslims that he had killed. Thus, on 8 May 1992 he reputedly said to one witness that it was his sixty-eighth victim157, on 11 May that he had killed one hundred and fifty persons158 and finally on 15 May to another witness159 following an execution that it was his "eighty-third case".

104. Some witnesses pointed out that Goran Jelisic seemed to take pleasure from his position, one which gave him a feeling of power, of holding the power of life or death over the detainees and that he took a certain pride in the number of victims that he had allegedly executed160. According to another testimony, Goran Jelisic spoke in a bloodthirsty manner, he treated them like animals or beasts and spittle formed on his lips because of his shouts and the hatred he was expressing. He wanted to terrorise them161.

105. The words and attitude of Goran Jelisic as related by the witnesses essentially reveal a disturbed personality162. Goran Jelisic led an ordinary life before the conflict. This personality, which presents borderline, anti-social and narcissistic characteristics and which is marked simultaneously by immaturity, a hunger to fill a "void" and a concern to please superiors, contributed to his finally committing crimes163. Goran Jelisic suddenly found himself in an apparent position of authority for which nothing had prepared him. It matters little whether this authority was real. What does matter is that this authority made it even easier for an opportunistic and inconsistent behaviour to express itself.

106. Goran Jelisic performed the executions randomly. In addition, Witness R, an eminent and well-known figure in the Muslim community was allegedly forced to play Russian roulette with Goran Jelisic before receiving a laissez-passer directly from him164. Moreover, on his own initiative and against all logic, Goran Jelisic issued laissez-passer to several detainees at the camp, as shown inter alia by the case of Witness E165 whom Goran Jelisic released after having beaten.

107. In conclusion, the acts of Goran Jelisic are not the physical expression of an affirmed resolve to destroy in whole or in part a group as such.

108. All things considered, the Prosecutor has not established beyond all reasonable doubt that genocide was committed in Brcko during the period covered by the indictment. Furthermore, the behaviour of the accused appears to indicate that, although he obviously singled out Muslims, he killed arbitrarily rather than with the clear intention to destroy a group. The Trial Chamber therefore concludes that it has not been proved beyond all reasonable doubt that the accused was motivated by the dolus specialis of the crime of genocide. The benefit of the doubt must always go to the accused and, consequently, Goran Jelisic must be found not guilty on this count.

https://www.icty.org/x/cases/jelisic/tjug/en/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yesterday, I was clearing out bookmarks as I was duplicating the entirety of the google in my bookmark folders (again, for the nth time).

Today I noticed a new thing in my google chrome bookmarks bar called "Reading List".

I think it will make adding all those interesting links people share on here much simpler than bookmarks in the bookmark manager, and easier than finding out I have 3 subfolders with the same name in different bookmark folders.

Much as I use the 'watch later' on youtube to save links and now and then just put them on 'autoplay' to get through a few.

That's basically what is for, yeah, I managed to trim my actual bookmark list to around a hundred a couple of years back. Edge goes one better and has Collections, which is mostly the same but you can further split links into topics, so you don't have to have political articles dumped in the same place as recipes or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
A more direct example, from the 2005 UN International Commission of Inquiry on Darfur:

quote:

513. Was there a genocidal intent? Some elements emerging from the facts including the scale of atrocities and the systematic nature of the attacks, killing, displacement and rape, as well as racially motivated statements by perpetrators that have targeted members of the African tribes only, could be indicative of the genocidal intent. However, there are other more indicative elements that show the lack of genocidal intent. The fact that in a number of villages attacked and burned by both militias and Government forces the attackers refrained from exterminating the whole population that had not fled, but instead selectively killed groups of young men, is an important element. A telling example is the attack of 22 January 2004 on Wadi Saleh, a group of 25 villages inhabited by about 11 000 Fur. According to credible accounts of eye witnesses questioned by the Commission, after occupying the villages the Government Commissioner and the leader of the Arab militias that had participated in the attack and burning, gathered all those who had survived or had not managed to escape into a large area. Using a microphone they selected 15 persons (whose name they read from a written list), as well as 7 omdas, and executed them on the spot. They then sent all elderly men, all boys, many men and all women to a nearby village, where they held them for some time, whereas they executed 205 young villagers, who they asserted were rebels (Torabora). According to male witnesses interviewed by the Commission and who were among the survivors, about 800 persons were not killed (most young men of those spared by the attackers were detained for some time in the Mukjar prison).

514. This case clearly shows that the intent of the attackers was not to destroy an ethnic group as such, or part of the group. Instead, the intention was to murder all those men they considered as rebels, as well as forcibly expel the whole population so as to vacate the villages and prevent rebels from hiding among, or getting support from, the local population.

515. Another element that tends to show the Sudanese Government’s lack of genocidal intent can be seen in the fact that persons forcibly dislodged from their villages are collected in IDP camps. In other words, the populations surviving attacks on villages are not killed outright, so as to eradicate the group; they are rather forced to abandon their homes and live together in areas selected by the Government. While this attitude of the Sudanese Government may be held to be in breach of international legal standards on human rights and international criminal law rules, it is not indicative of any intent to annihilate the group. This is all the more true because the living conditions in those camps, although open to strong criticism on many grounds, do not seem to be calculated to bring about the extinction of the ethnic group to which the IDPs belong. Suffice it to note that the Government of Sudan generally allows humanitarian organizations to help the population in camps by providing food, clean water, medicines and logistical assistance (construction of hospitals, cooking facilities, latrines, etc.)

516. Another element that tends to show the lack of genocidal intent is the fact that in contrast with other instances described above, in a number of instances villages with a mixed composition (African and Arab tribes) have not been attacked. This for instance holds true for the village of Abaata (north-east of Zelingei, in Western Darfur), consisting of Zaghawa and members of Arab tribes.

517. Furthermore, it has been reported by a reliable source that one inhabitant of the Jabir Village (situated about 150 km from Abu Shouk Camp) was among the victims of an attack carried out by Janjaweed on 16 March 2004 on the village. He stated that he did not resist when the attackers took 200 camels from him, although they beat him up with the butt of their guns. Instead, prior to his beating, his young brother, who possessed only one camel, had resisted when the attackers had tried to take his camel, and had been shot dead. Clearly, in this instance the special intent to kill a member of a group to destroy the group as such was lacking, the murder being only motivated by the desire to appropriate cattle belonging to the inhabitants of the village. Irrespective of the motive, had the attackers’ intent been to annihilate the group, they would not have spared one of the brothers.

518. Conclusion. On the basis of the above observations, the Commission concludes that the Government of Sudan has not pursued a policy of genocide. Arguably, two elements of genocide might be deduced from the gross violations of human rights perpetrated by Government forces and the militias under their control. These two elements are: first, the actus reus consisting of killing, or causing serious bodily or mental harm, or deliberately inflicting conditions of life likely to bring about physical destruction; and, second, on the basis of a subjective standard, the existence of a protected group being targeted by the authors of criminal conduct. Recent developments have led to the perception and self-perception of members of African tribes and members of Arab tribes as making up two distinct ethnic groups. However, one crucial element appears to be missing, at least as far as the central Government authorities are concerned: genocidal intent. Generally speaking the policy of attacking, killing and forcibly displacing members of some tribes does not evince a specific intent to annihilate, in whole or in part, a group distinguished on racial, ethnic, national or religious grounds. Rather, it would seem that those who planned and organized attacks on villages pursued the intent to drive the victims from their homes, primarily for purposes of counter-insurgency warfare.

Genocidal intent rests heavily on how rationally thorough its execution is. Unsystematic or unintentional mass killing or ethnic cleansing may not be genocide, whereas an organized campaign of sterilization or forcible transfer of children would be. This makes sense given the historical context of a special horror attached to industrial annihilation (as opposed to, e.g., mere pogroms).