Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If Kieth Sterner is the wrong'un stabbing someone, his boxing form suggest he'd only inflict a flesh wound.
No necropants for Kieth.

[edit - because I'm a child]

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Given how many fuckwits farmers voted for Brexit, I wouldn't be surprised if it's some local fuckwit farmer worried an osprey is going to fly off with one of his sheep

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This article about beach huts in Walton-on-the-Naze might be one of the most stupid things I've ever read, and I actually read that Laura Kuenssberg article stanning for Boris ( lol, as if that narrows it down )

quote:

Vicky Gunn, 42, had a busy and stressful life as an accountant when she bought a beach hut in Walton-on-the-Naze in 2014.
She wanted to spend more time at the beach with her dog Millie, but also realised it could be a good business opportunity and started hiring it out.
Seven years on, she rents out eight huts, having left her job to focus on her business, Millie's Beach Huts.

Vicky owns two of the huts and manages the other six for different owners, sorting out the logistics, styling and marketing.
Demand is higher than ever due to the pandemic, she says, and dates - they are rented out by the day - are being snapped up as soon as she releases them.
"All of our huts sold out in record time this year and we're even busy mid-week at the moment, which is our off-peak time," she says.

[...]

The average beach hut in England is worth £40,000, which is a rise of 51% in the last two years, according to the property website Rightmove.
John Fenton, from the estate agents Sheens in Frinton-on-Sea, a resort next to Walton-on-the-Naze, has a waiting list of people wanting to buy one.
He recently sold two huts in the area for £60,000 within 24 hours, which he says is double the price from a year ago.

What the gently caress is wrong with this plagued island of fuckwits?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Imagine being so bougie that even The Queen thinks you're a spoiled little poo poo.

Actually, don't imagine that; I wouldn't want you getting any ideas :guillotine:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bump_fn posted:

i mean there’s basically no way sadiq doesn’t win right? who’s the tory running against him

Shaun

Bailey

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
More to the point, how old is the woman Bill has presumably been having an affair with?

Is he going down the Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson route of finding someone young enough to fall for his bullshit, or the Neil Young route of finding someone who was at least able to write their own name when he was relevant?

Also, lol at the hospitality sector losing their High Court battle against the Government over when they can open.
Imagine being led by the sort of bloodthirsty cunts who're more concerned that people will realise that home-cooked food is both cheaper and better than the slop they serve at their high-priced gastropubs, than the thousands of people who might die if lockdown ends prematurely?

Actually, don't imagine that. I wouldn't want you to get ideas :guillotine:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I don't particularly care whether my food tastes good, as long as it doesn't taste bad.
I like meat, but could do without it if needed. But I'm also too lazy and unfussed about food in general to waste any time finding other things to eat.

I like ______, so I'll keep eating ______ while it's available.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

that mod just probed someone else for suggesting libs are useless centrists who don't agree with evil but are very much against stopping it

lol, who'd have guessed that liberals were such a pathetic bunch of whiny cry-baby centrists?
Oh yeah, anyone who's ever interacted with them.

[edit]
15 is the number of times a liberal has to be told that they are - in fact - worth something, by their mummies before they can get out of bed in the morning.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i dunno if anyone has said this before so apologies if this has been gone over before but the radio said earlier that you should take your own pencil or pen to vote tomorrow because of covid covered pens and pencils.

Just open a vein and mark your choice in the finest claret ink known to man.

Or drop trou, poo poo on the polling station floor and mark your choice in the earthiest way you have.,

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I got to my polling station at 7 on the dot and the staff there had barely even started setting up. I had to wait outside for 5 minutes while they flailed around trying to get ready.
And then I almost missed my train as a result of their tardiness.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Keith is turbofucked if Bailey wins London. It's so horrible an outcome I'm almost giddy with excitement.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Apraxin posted:

Former councilor and then MP for Darlington for 10 years, vice-chair of Progress, backed Owen Smith's leadership challenge, lost her seat in 2019 and then threw in with Starmer and got made a Baroness because she was the chair for his campaign and Starmer only opposes cronyism when it's the Tories doing it.

ftfy

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Gotta give Starmer some credit - it's rare that "catastrofuck" can actually be used in a suitable context, but here we are comrades. Rare times indeed.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Considering Starmer had to be persuaded to run as an MP in the first place, and then only ran as Leader because everyone kept telling him how good he'd be, none of this is a surprise.

The man is utterly incapable of doing anything that requires independent thought. And the fact that he continually seems to lean on the stupidest, worst-informed people in the room for advice is just the cherry on top.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Keith's whole illusion-of-success has been because the media has been incredibly supportive of him.
When they're almost universally dogpiling him for shits and giggles, Shirley someone has to tell him the jig is up?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't think Boris is physiologically capable of enacting a scheme as mundane and achievable as "build houses and get people owning them", it's all got to be 30 km long bridges over a munitions abyss or subterranean, suboceanic tunnel networks which include a roundabout bigger than the Isle of Mann.

I was going to say, "Nah, he'll leave it to someone less important to do". But then I checked who the Housing Secretary is and it's Robert 'Manilla Envelope' Jenrick.
He'll approve anything as long as you put enough money in front of him.

[edit]
The problem is that the profits are all in building expensive, badly-constructed bijou flats in London for criminals foreign investors to buy.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 10, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Even the BBC's Jeremy Bowen is putting the instigator for this surge in violence on Israel and Benjamin "I can't believe he isn't in prison yet" Netanyahu, but I doubt that's what Bez Bleating is condemning.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think medics generally have more effective union representation than non-medics do. Unison, who I'm a member of, are loving useless. They were incredibly enthusiastic about the dogshit 2018 settlement and have shown no contrition at all for selling thousands of NHS staff down the river on a piece of poo poo pay deal.
Which - don't get me wrong - the worst paid NHS staff did very well from that pay deal. The abolition of Agenda for Change Band 1 posts has been overdue for years, and the uplift to pay for Bands 2-4 (and the first half of Band 5) was also good. But being told it was a great deal, when it was far from it still rankles.

Doctors have a more visible presence in the media, and notably they were able to negotiate a better deal than Agenda for Change staff got in 2018. It still wasn't a good deal, but it was better. And doctors saying "We don't get paid enough" still carries more weight than nurses saying the same (which carries more weight than Allied Health Professionals, who may as well not exist when it comes to the media), particularly when the public perception is still that nurses just go around wiping patient's arses and looking pretty for the doctors.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In recognition of it being Eid Al Fitr, I was going to donate some money to a charity that supports the humanitarian effort in Yemen.
I know that not all charities are equally correct; but is there any reason not to donate to MSF?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jakabite posted:

E: also really want to know how Kenmure happened? Is it just a case of a tight knit community? Cos any sort of community cohesion, knowing your neighbours, organising events with/for them, is Very Much Praxis.

The BBC News article says that a couple of people got involved initially and then they just phoned everyone they knew in the area and it snowballed from there. Which is pretty cool.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

PNGYAKUZA posted:

they really are a parody of themselves huh? They sometimes seem to see the issue but never ever the resolution to it.

Sometimes?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Anteaters appear to be legal to own without a license (not the giant ones, though)
Although you'd have to pick the right species that actually eats ants, rather than I dunno, termites or something

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 15, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

Also loving hell : that bit in the guardian article about how priti Patel has a pathological need to always say / do the TOUGHEST thing possible, or the MEANEST thing she can, no matter What, regardless of the consequences.

The Guardian piece was worth reading. The take-home facts weren't surprising, though:
- The media is massively racist
- The government, therefore, has to be massively racist so that they don't appear weak by comparison
- Civil servants working within the Home Office are a bunch of craven sadists who will gleefully throw victims of the worst abuse imaginable into a pit filled with their abusers, if it gives them a chance of being promoted

Really, what the piece reinforced was that the entire political sphere revolving around the written press is a loving cancer on the country. The only people who consider the written press to be relevant are MPs and other media sources.
People are getting needlessly thrown into Serco-run detention facilities and raped for years on the basis of Paul loving Dacre being scared of everyone who isn't the same sallow shade of pasty-white as he is.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really know that I buy the interpretation that the poor conservatives are being bullied into being massive racists by the media.

Me neither, but I think the point was that it doesn't really give them an option either way.
Which I don't entirely agree with either - the relationship between the press and the Tories has generally been exceptionally cozy for the last 13 years (give or take), so if the Tories had wanted to push a new immigrants narrative, they could have done so.

I dunno, it's the Guardian - I doubt any of us are going to agree with the whole thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

is a footballer or an actor or artist or musician that gets astronomically rich stealing someone's labour? Or are none of those sorts rich enough to be considered astronomically rich without branching out into doing something in labour theft territory?

You can only become astronomically rich if someone down the line is getting exploited. Doesn't really matter what field of work we're talking about.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I had never even loving heard of a uk new deal until she brought it up. What kind of freak actually remembers new labour shite?

Centrist Labour MPs remember New Labour shite like it's a loving mantra or something.
Imagine their living rooms being a wall of screens all showing Blair speeches like the Monkey Dust sketch, except Blair's just talking about killing muslims and deregulating the banks over and over again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's nice that the police will investigate their own officers for hugging protesters and expressing support for oppressed minorities, but won't investigate officers when they beat the living poo poo out of peaceful protesters or infiltrate protests as agent provocateurs to give them a reason to crack open the tear gas grenades.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure the whole point of having at least half-a-dozen groups with similar names, all 'linked' to Labour, is to make it really hard to remember which ones are run by shitlords and which ones aren't.
Aside from Jewdas - none of the shitlords have even a fraction of the self-awareness you'd need to call your group that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There will never be a left-wing media outlet that reaches a wide audience. The existing right-wing media outlets will strangle anything that tries to emerge in the crib, in much the same way as they're doing with the BBC now (albeit this is them strangling a leper).

The BBC can be made better - if a left-wing government can get into power, it could pass legislation that could do a much better job of enforcing some sort of neutral/balanced reporting.
If you get rid of the BBC now, it'll be far harder in future to create anything that can amplify a left-wing message, and all the public will be able to hear is the fascist press running their usual screeds.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Probably that whole surge vaccination thing because of the India variant?

It's not the Indian variant, haven't you heard?

Modi is a bigger narcissist than Trump, which I'm actually impressed by.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Does the world even need another biography of Shakespeare?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Keith isn't going to keep his seat at the next General Election, so why not go full-on scorched earth and get some brown-nose points with the rich.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I wonder if Johnson has already started planning the biography he'll write to pay for the divorce to Carrie.

Given it's a significant part of the reason he keeps getting divorced, maybe he'll write a biography of his penis. "Custard Binbag & Johnson's Johnson".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I assume Boris could claim they're all for Carrie (I mean, she'll own them all in a couple of years anyway).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

We have the worst loving press in the world

Yeah. You can point at countries like Uzbekistan, or Turkmenistan, or... really any of the 'Stans, but at least journalists there run the risk of being tortured, left to rot in prison or simply executed if they don't tow the government line.
Our brave journalists run the risk of being removed from a WhatsApp group, which they consistently suggest would be the worst thing imaginable.

Seriously, what a bunch of cunts.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been checking the numbers my hospital trust employer has been releasing daily, and they've been consistently very low for the last few weeks - particularly the 'new infections' measure.
And this is in an area with low uptake of both vaccines and testing, where you'd assume it to be worse.

So I don't think it's going to be catastrophic, but I'd be surprised if there aren't more local lockdowns.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Chances are: a form was either filled in incorrectly, or was submitted incorrectly, or received incorrectly, or processed incorrectly, or lost at any point in the chain. Or it's a non-priority at the bottom of a pile of priority tasks.
The NHS usually works these things out, but it can take time. The pandemic probably isn't helping, since any overpayment - I'm pretty sure - needs a human to look at it before it's sent out, less some porter has a heart attack on being asked to pay back £10k.

As others have said - tell your line manager and get in contact with your union. They should know who it can be escalated to so that it'll actually get dealt with.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's an idea that seems to be getting a bit more mileage in recent years. Geoff Marshall did a video on a similar scheme somewhere in South London, last year.
The general idea I get is that it can work really well in relatively small geographical areas where demand is steady but not particularly high. And where 'demand responsive' routes sit alongside more traditional routes (which can absorb the majority of the passengers).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Dommy Cummy starts his "It was all Boris' fault, nuffin' to do wiv me, guvnor" testimony at 9:30 this morning.
I'm WFH today and... actually thinking about tuning in.

I expect 90% of it to be very boring, but the 10% with interesting bits could be worth listening to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Herd Immunity being discussed now