Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

PNGYAKUZA posted:

ah sound, definetly going faster than a lot of places but how's the 2nd doses going? I know my mum still has only had her 1st despite being a keyworker.

The US is giving out 2nd shots according to the vaccination instructions - 2-4 weeks after the first jab depending on manufacturer. The UK has decided to do 12 weeks between jabs which is why the US will have a lot more 2nd jabs done before us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

If the media were this determined to absolve the Labour leadership of any guilt for anything in 2015-2017 we'd be 4 years into a Corbyn led majority jesus christ

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

I guess any sort of even vague criticism of Corbyn is still not allowed here. Cool.

I know this almost probably isn't what you meant, but rethink sentences that can be interpreted as 'Corbyn supported Palestinians in the past is criticism of Corbyn' because everyone should be supporting Palestinians over the state of Israel.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone asked if any labour politician would mention the attacks on Al Aqsa mosque by the IDF yesterday - Zarah Sultana has on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/ZarahSultanaMP/posts/498320011605587

It's a public post so you should be able to see it without a FB account

It would be really good if she became labour leader. I follow her FB and she's a very good egg IMHO.

She is, but she's very new to parliament still. Definitely someone to watch though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

How the gently caress did they let him on? surely you would tackle him before he got near the studio?

I'd like to see someone try to tackle Big John "Arm" McDonnell

efb

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Hell yeah Azza cartoons are back.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Frankly I think they should put Tony Blair back and let him lose hard as gently caress.

You can't trick us, Adonis. We're not putting Blair back in charge!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

I can't actually tell from the video what is happening. Just some happy Dudes bouncing up and down, while something on the other side of the wall burns.

I can take a guess though.

They're also singing about how much they hate the Palestinians, if that helps clarify.

Yesterday was Jerusalem Day in Israel which always brings out the nationalist fash there.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I condemn all human activity as tainted by sin. All are punish'd

Didn't know the pope posted here.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Rayner was the Momentum candidate & immediately sold us out & threw her lot in with Keith & the hard right after getting elected. She's been completely loyal to Keith as far as I can tell. imo this was probably all the hard right around him whispering in his ear that he needs to go even more right wing & cut off anyone left-seeming

Personally I'm actually prepared to give her a second chance, it looked like the right thing to do for her career at the time but I very much doubt she'll make the mistake of trusting those fuckers again, whereas I reckon she'll be working pretty hard to earn our trust back. Like it says a lot about her character that she'd betray us for personal gain in the first place, but she's got no motivation to do it again & a strong motivation not to

(I'll eat my words if she repeats Friday's immigration rhetoric)

Rayner thinks that Academies can be a good thing for education and said as much as Corbyn's shadow education secretary iirc, so I'm less inclined to trust her than you.

feedmegin posted:

I thought Dawn Butler was the lefty for deputy? I voted for her, anyway.

Dawn wasn't formally affiliated with the left factions in Labour so despite having good politics mostly, Momentum didn't endorse her at all despite it being a ranked vote election. It's factionalism all the way down!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Just got ballot papers for GMB General Secretary. Does anyone here have any insight as to who is good/not poo poo of the people running?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Sounds like the 2 main candidates are both pretty strongly linked to Tim Roache who has stepped down amid horrid accusations around sexism. Seems a pretty poo poo union tbh

It very much is, but they were the ones actually doing industrial action at my work as opposed to the other one that was all "these Pension changes are unfortunate but there's nothing we can do"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Aidan_702 posted:

I will only be inheriting debt, mother already spent the money my grandmother left for the family (and me) on fags and booze. Trying to think what I should change my name to when the time comes

Change it to Boris Johnson and put your address down as 10 Downing St. Don't worry I'm sure it'll still be relevant at the rate Labour is going.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Hang the potholes :mad:

National service (which I definitely did) to make the youth fill in potholes!

Nah, what you wanna do is sign up the potholes for national service so they just stop laying in the street like lazy scroungers.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Moderna is the Dolly Parton vaccine.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

haakman posted:

Yeah makes me sad. Pigs are awesome. Cops are not.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

is a footballer or an actor or artist or musician that gets astronomically rich stealing someone's labour? Or are none of those sorts rich enough to be considered astronomically rich without branching out into doing something in labour theft territory?

None of them get to billionaire status without investing heavily in real estate/stocks at which point they are stealing other people's labour, yes. Whether they should be making millions for entertainment is a different discussion that is also warped by other people having billions of dollars.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sanford posted:

Told my dad they were using bigger needles because of a potential supply issue on thinner ones, then said "whoops, we're not meant to tell you that." Could well be bullshit. Don't we have someone who works at a vacc centre, who might know?

I'm not getting it if they're using jumbo needles :colbert:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

Quite right. I wouldn't enjoy driving slowly through Palestine.

You probably would tbh, it's really pretty.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

He didn't specify Gaza. :colbert:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

therattle posted:

It’s not dependent on advertising and speaking for myself I LOVE ad-free TV, especially for children. That in itself is worth defending.

I think most discussions, at least itt, of the BBC being poo poo is about its news division. I think everyone agrees that educational no-ad TV is a very good thing, or even making shows that aren't beholden to ad money/shareholders can be a very good thing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Doesn't Heavyweight get all the attention because if you abolished weight classes, the guys who'd world champion would still be the heavyweight end of the scale? Popular interest is always massively disproportionately towards whatever league/tier/division/other that contains the individuals/teams that would win any match-up.

see also: women's sports.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

PNGYAKUZA posted:

I know it's anecdotal and stuff but it's mad seeing people say Jews as a monolith are sick of free Palestine stuff cause every single Jewish person I know are very vocally condeming Israel. Hell even the one Jewish Israeli dude I know thinks Israel is invalid.
Also isn't that the woman who said she "kept receipts" for Rage against the machine lol

Right wing jews love pretending that left wing jews don't exist. Practically a hobby at this point.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

minema posted:

People in areas with high amounts of the Indian variant have been advised to avoid any non essential travel into or out of the area and to try and stay outside if meeting others.

This was changed on the gov website on Friday and literally noone has been told about it. Even the Tory MPs found out via Twitter tonight.

My parents have already driven up to stay in a campsite nearby and are meant to be coming to see our new house for the first time tomorrow, we've all had both vaccines and I think for the first time I'm not going to follow advised restrictions because seriously what the gently caress.

Blackburn hospital does have slightly increased numbers of covid patients again but none are seriously unwell in ICU and the patients on the ward aren't as high acuity as previous covid patients which is hopeful.

Can you link the page? I can't find it and I've got family in that area that might need to see it asap.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Cheers

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

:psyduck:

So by that definition do they think that in order for institutional abuse to occur a number of people would have to set up an organization called the British Noncing Board and have it explicitly in their charter that they abuse kids, and all the things that happened in the Church of England and the Roman Catholic Church and the BBC and the FA and the Scouts and the royal family and the Borstal system and the children's homes and the nursing homes were all the completely unrelated actions of a few individuals that warrants no further investigation?

They definitely do, don't they.
:negative:

It also means that the tory Party doesn't think that the Labour Party is institutionally antisemitic, which is pretty entertaining. I'm sure hard working journalists will now acquit the labour party of institutional antisemitism, given we csn just redefine terms whenever we want.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

United Knife Manufacturer's Trust - where we make, bury, and discuss our knives

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Edge is pretty much the best browser now, if you fancy giving Microsoft control instead.

Let me guess, you've already had both vaccine jabs?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think that cummings would be otacon in this analogy.

Great now I've got a mental image of otkau cummings. He has a body pillow of roko's basilisk.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

To be fair, the rules probably apply more strictly to you when your mother is the Pope.

I don't think Discordians have it that bad

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Some of the discussion seems to be down to the age old nugget of essentialism vs constructivism. Essentialist thinking appeals to those who think they're being "rational" or understanding "nature". It's the idea that certain "things" have essential qualities and if those qualities are removed then it is no longer that "thing". For example, mammals are species whose females produce milk for their young. If its females don't lactate during child rearing, they're not mammals. That would be an essentialist argument. Constructivist thinking appeals more to socially orientated minds. Its the idea that everything we've thought of is a social construct. We described mammals for our own purposes, but could easily decide that the definition of mammals can change if we decide to deconstruct or reconstruct the concept. The essentialists get up in arms when the essences they're describing, particularly ones from what they perceive to be an external reality, are then changed. Constructivists get up in arms when there is a reason for changing a construct that is resisted for reasons that, to a constructivist, amount to begging the question (because essences don't exist).

A fun example (that isn't to do with Diogenes and plucked chickens) is that if the definition for mammals is a) has hair and b) produces milk then a coconut is a mammal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

I’m ridiculously happy!

Congrats!