Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just fry some broccoli with haloumi for a piss-easy and delicious vegetarian meal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's the thread opinion on TUSC? They are running for a couple of things in my area and I'm debating whether to vote for them or the Greens.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goddamnedtwisto posted:

However this time they've decided to divvy it up geographically, with one desk handling the entire estate that the station is in the middle of, and another desk handling all of the new developments around it, which you *might* be able to justify by saying there's roughly the same amount of houses, but there's a *very* different population both numerically and socially. This meant all the "luxury flat" lot got waved straight in, while a 20-person queue took half an hour to shuffle in.

My local polling place also has two subsections, but they are always just divided by street name - those starting A-L on the left, and M-Z on the right.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aramoro posted:

Crushing Lib Dem victory in Scotland so far. No exit polls so going to extrapolate from here and say Lib Dem majority.

Interesting result though in Banffshire and Buchan Coast which is more rural - SNP hold, but down 10% with CON up 10%, resulting in a 700-vote majority for the SNP (or 2.3%).

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but it's also worth looking at the UK-wide elections since 2016. The Tories won the closest equivalent constituency in 2017 & held it in 2019. The first time they'd won an MP in Banff & Buchan since 1987. It's the strongest pro-Brexit constituency in Scotland, Fraserburgh & Peterhead are basically the centre of Scottish North Sea fishing. So while it is very narrow but I wouldn't expect that swing to hold in many other places.

That's good, thanks for the clarification.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Welsh results are starting to come in as well.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

forkboy84 posted:

Sadiq was happy the Tories won in 2019, he's plenty poo poo enough himself.

Anyway, https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390706028640079880?s=20

Tories have held Ayr since a 2000 by-election.

Yeah the SNP taking it off CON is good news.

e: by only 170 votes, too

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've literally had to explain to some people over 50 that it costs more to rent than it does to pay a mortgage now, and every time they keep saying that can't be right and I must have gotten something wrong. There is still a sizeable chunk of the 60+ demographic who still think that renting is cheaper than a mortgage.

I assume they think this because in their day, renting meant living in a council house while now it mean's paying somebody else's mortgage for them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Doccykins posted:

its the most recent constituency to have their MP assassinated and elected Tracy Brabin off of Corrie who now has to step down because she's just been elected Mayor of West Yorkshire

Starmer's Labour has already been accused of trying to parachute Paul Williams in again (an MP who lost his Stockton South seat in 2019 for being an arch Remain supporter in a Brexit heavy area and from a Labour candidates shortlist of one lost the contest in Hartlepool, also a Brexit heavy area, last week)

Jo Cox' sister is now rumoured to be standing for the seat for Labour.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Barry Foster posted:

Think of the veterans of the Statues Offensive

The Statues Offensive against offensive statues?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There's a group of 10 starlings foraging on the lawn, love those little buggers :3:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My wife and I both got an invitation to to book a vaccine appointment yesterday, so they're down to people in their mid-30s now.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How does that work exactly - the earlier article said that the Scotland police isn't working with the Home Office (e: regarding these removals), so would they even have the authority to release the deportees?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bump_fn posted:

mega yikes but also lol at calling france northern europe

Yeah but similarly you can't lump in Lille with southern europe either

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guavanaut posted:

It might mean more people posting ITT :v:

But this thread has the perfect amount of posts - not so many that I can't keep up but enough that there is usually some interesting discussion (unless it's about crisps) (paprika flavoured ones are the best but hard to come by here)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Perfect Element posted:

It was mainly because my wife works from home as well, for a charity, and she's super busy for eight hours per day doing all sorts of worthy things, so I just felt a bit ashamed of myself.

The pro move here would be to start taking on part of your wife's job and then you both take half the day off

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Netflix and Amazon are creating tons of B-movies for their own platforms though, as in 'medium budget standalone films'. Granted most of these aren't very good but hey

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

blunt posted:

Does anybody know what the deal is re: Pfizer/AstraZenica when booking these - does it give you any indication when booking of which is available, or do you just find out when you show up to your appointment?

It doesn't tell you when you book an appointment (at least it didn't in my area). If you have a medical reason for requiring a specific vaccine type, you'll need to go through your GP, I believe.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jaete posted:

Ah yeah that's right, the Numenoreans "descended from superior stock" or some such bollocks and as a result would live to 300-400 years old. But over time their blood was mingled with lesser men and blah blah, Aragorn was still in good middle-aged shape at 85 or so (during the books/films) but would rapidly get old already at like 120 or something and die

All the authors following up on this stuff sure could have used some critical introspection here re: purity of bloodlines, but oh well!

Not so much superior human stock but the first Numenorean king was half-Elvish.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's another one that has someone die of piles. I occasionally raise a glass to their memory.

I'm still laughing at whoever is was who dodged the plague but killed themselves from falling down the stairs

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BalloonFish posted:

I have also heard this exact example, but also in an educational context. Apparently in Yorkshire 'while' can mean 'until' in certain contexts (to do with an old ambiguity in English between process and result). Apparently you can find 'until' used where we would use 'while' in the King James Bible.

This is kind of true for computery language as well, where the while statement in Python means 'do this and keep doing it until conditions change'

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Had my Pfizer shot last night, arm's a bit sore but that's it luckily

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That singing birb is amazing btw, thanks for posting

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HopperUK posted:

I haven't heard of it taking longer than 12 hours to land on anyone. Anecdote, but.

My sore arm was at its worst about 20 hours after the shot, I would say, and stopped hurting altogether the next morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bump_fn posted:

i’m at the park and someone is blasting a club remix of wake me up by evanescence

summer is here

The summer of 2004, apparently