Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Moving the overton window to reveal keith peeking through it longingly.

Jeremy Corbyn: turning a big dial taht says "Overton Window" on it and constantly looking back at the UKMT for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you can live without having any recommendations just install this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unhook-remove-youtube-rec/khncfooichmfjbepaaaebmommgaepoid/related?hl=en

Along with the "never show comments" add-ons as well, it turns youtube into a perfect experience.

This is the best thing ever. A major step towards stripping the web back to basics. Thanks!

However, I have been lazily relying on an un-logged-in Youtube front page to show me when the few channels I am interested in post something new. Anyone know of a clever way to "subscribe to"/follow certain channels without actually logging in? Thinking third party?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

All this meat chat reminds me, there was a thing the other week where (I think) a study plotting reduction in beef consumption against reduction in cow emissions was seized up by the Mail, and somehow turned into "Joe Biden's climate plan means you'll be rationed to one burger a month", to predictable outrage.

Which made me think, is that so unreasonable? I'm down to less than that anyway, without Biden telling me to, having the occasional beef burger as a treat, but lots of delicious chickpea burgers.

Guavanaut posted:

Broadband toilets and free genders.

Careful, basic economics says there's infinite demand for a free good :science:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Noxville posted:

a duck loaf of carbon

Most fitting autocorrect ever.

Mmmm...carbonised duck loaf...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't know about pistachios but aren't cashews harvested in insanely awful conditions? Like the plant emits caustic chemicals and they are mostly harvested by literal slaves who are forced to work until their skin burns off?

This, but for every time you discover how unethical a given thing is under capitalism.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Shyrka posted:

The other day I was chatting to a friend and I mentioned having a sausage roll and they lit up and asked me if the vegetarian thing passed. The disappointment when I clarified it was fake sausage was palpable.

I'm a poo poo vegetarian since I don't even attempt proper vegetable focused recipes, I just cook the same bland poo poo I always cooked except with plant-based substitutes for my mince and tatties or burgers.

I find it funny that you can get attacked from both "sides" for this - by meat eaters who think you shouldn't be allowed the thing if you're not going to eat meat, and by a subset of vegetarians who think you shouldn't try to imitate the thing because of its association with meat.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a savoury meat patty/tube while not wanting to eat animals, I say.

E: which leads to silliness like not being able to market vegetarian things as "burgers", or (as I believe the dairy industry in Europe is agitating for) not being allowed to sell milk-substitutes in milk-carton-reminiscent packaging, or in the same part of the shop, lest somebody be fooled into thinking it came from a cow.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 4, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

multijoe posted:

I don't get how the burgers have got so good but the sausages are still so blah

All sausages are blah, including meat ones, because the sausaginity has ascended to Offler, and we are left with the earthly remains. Duh.

vvvv Listen to this dude Twisto. He knows what he's talking about

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 4, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/DevanSinha/status/1390388896433942544

Extremely bad news that we *still* don't have quarantine or test trace and isolate sorted out so the Indian variant is just ripping through care homes, but cautiously extremely good news that even at only half strength the AZ vaccine meant it caused no deaths* and only a small amount of serious cases** in an extremely vulnerable population. Obviously it's a very small sample but still encouraging.

* The infection fatality rate for care homes is an eye-watering 36%
** serious as in requiring hospitalisation, although none required ventilation (over 50% of infected people in that age range normally do and of those most will die)

This is my least favourite thing about all this. They've learned nothing. You could almost maybe not really forgive a totally inept March (ok Feb) to June last year if they were a) coming out with honest admissions of having screwed up and stating that they now understand

- lockdowns are an immediate but short-term response while you sort out...
- ...test, trace and isolate, which is the actual weapon for keeping the country going
- doing the above requires paying all people, regardless of employment type, their full normal pay to stay home if isolating or infected - yes even if that means paying some people "too much" by accident
- children, even if they don't get ill, are always filled with all the germs
- hand washing is good, but masks from day 1 is probably more useful with a respiratory virus
- to do that, you need to have masks in stock
- encouraging people back to the office while getting the police to yell at them for resting on a park bench is the opposite of a good idea

...and b) actually doing those things now, while the pandemic is still ongoing. Even if it were "captain hindsight" wrt last year (it's not, this was all known at the time), it's now called "foresight" and is still necessary for a good few months if we're really lucky.

This is directed equally at the UK and Dutch govs, who have hosed this in very similar fashions, centred on capitalism and a national sense of superiority and exceptionalism.

I'm am angrey.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Also ventilation. If we'd treated the whole thing using miasma theory we'd be ahead of treating it using take it on the chin theory.

Yeah, that too. The whole response seems to have treated it like norovirus (I think?), where touching objects infected people have touched is a big thing (which is apparently called "fomite transmission"), and that viruses expelled from the mouth fall harmlessly to the ground in a 1.5m radius around the infected person.

This article goes into some of the same points:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/how-public-health-messaging-backfired/618147/

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

There's a Starmer waiting in the sky
He'd like to set out policy, but he thinks he'd blow our minds

Hey, I did that already just the other...erm...month? March thread apparently. Time is broken.

Bobstar posted:

There’s a Star-mer waiting just outside,
With policies a-plenty
But he thinks they’d blow our minds.
There’s a Star-mer working for some spies.
He’d like to help the young folks,
But the red wall’s more worthwhile
He told me
Now the party’s used them,
Let the party lose them,
And all the press abuse them

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Surely this time, if I build a 1997 out of branches and vines, the voters will come flocking back

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

crispix posted:

you would not trust that shithead to run an egg and spoon race :laugh:

Depends, if the eggs are wet, does surface tension help? Or just make things slippery?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Get them to read Pratchett. Narrative is just a fancy Caecilius word for story, and his entire thing was about the power of stories.

Corbyn's leadership itself is a story (or more precisely, the millions of factual things that happened in that time can be made into many stories, e.g. The Candidate). But yes, the failure to turn the actual leftist project into a story machine is the major problem. I feel like the NHS is kind of a story running on fumes - free healthcare for all, as imagined after the war that we all definitely fought in, and the story continues ever since. A thing to be proud of. But we need some monks to feed it more narrative to keep it spinning, or it will stop.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

radmonger posted:

I think you are using the word ‘can’ in the sense it is used in the phrase ‘they can found an internet startup company and become a billionaire’.

Maybe they could, but politics is based on whether they do. You are quite right that the barriers in currently in place can usually be surmounted by several hours of concerted effort, similar to that required to switch a phone or energy supply contract. And that has to be repeated once per election.

For the same effort, anyone who can naturally vote (because the council sends them a card) can easily (if illegally) pick up a second or third vote. And how many people actually bother to do that?

Reworking that system offers the possibility of decoupling the right to vote from home ownership; one citizen, one vote. It’s going to be really hard for the Tories to openly argue that ‘yes, you are a citizen and taxpayer, have committed no crime, but we are not going to let you vote because that means we won’t win’. Even the Republicans struggle get away with that one.

In contrast, the only risk is that, if the Tories do prove unexpectedly competent, you would lose the possibility of a neoBlairite Labour creeping into a minority government based on some freak circumstance that beats the odds.

And is that really a scenario you think is worth losing the hope of anything better for?

I'm confused about what you're arguing here. It sounds like you're saying that people will require a valid photo ID to vote instead of the current system of voter registration, with polling card sent to your home and that dictating which polling station you can vote at.

Surely the actual proposal is that you need the photo ID on top of the existing system, be that a passport/driving license that you already have, or a special voting ID card that will definitely be free, honest. So from the set of registered voters (which won't change much due to this) will be removed the set of people lacking the money/inclination/knowledge to acquire an ID they currently don't have. Hence disenfranchisement.

The other barrier of course being that you need to identify yourself to the issuers of these new voting ID cards.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Did anyone say "skills wallet inspector" yet?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

I believe everyone did, yes

Good good, just checking

E: Que snipo terrible, have a cat

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

That reminds me of a comic based on the teleporter/duplicator problem, where someone asks "how do you know which one is the original" and they answer "that's easy, the original is". Sounds like SMBC but I can't find it now.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Peak centrism is making everyone hate you and then expecting them to vote for you because it's obvious you're the sensible grown up.

If you're pissing everybody off, it means you're doing something right :smuggo:

Stormgale posted:

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1393486136115408896

Living an agrarian lifestyle has mutated the british psyche to the point anyone who moves location is the devil.

Anna Soubry quote-tweeted that, saying it was "spot on", and is now replying to everyone who points out how racist it is by saying they didn't read the article. And ignoring everyone posting screenshots of the worst bits.

Oh, and boo-hooing about "debate" and "poisonous politics" because people are being mean to her.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

"A spokesperson for IRC UK said: “IRC UK does not use unpaid interns and is a separate legal entity from the IRC’s global headquarters in the United States.”"

Oh well, that's ok then :rolleyes:

---

Working in London's old theatres, you get used to mice zooming across the auditorium floor while you're working. And good at remembering to keep your Pret bag on the desk.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Aramoro posted:

So how much should they get paid then, based on your experience? People are always saying that job X is paid too much but never put a number on what it should be.

I think this goes back to the same thing as doctor-pay-chat, except charity CEO David Miliband arouses less sympathy than future (?) consultant jabby.

£80,000 a year is a lot of money relative to the (checks notes) 95% of people who earn less than that, and especially the 77% who earn less than half that. But relative to how much things cost, especially houses, it's not stupid money - it's around 1/3 of the average house price, which is a sensible multiple in a non-crazy system (which sadly we don't have).

So let's ask the wider question - let's say we can arrest the ridiculous growth in nominal house prices, but not bring them down. How much should a nurse/computer toucher/tube driver/supermarket worker etc be getting paid, in order to live a comfortable life in this country, and have nice things? Maybe even to live on one income (equivalent*)? I think that would be quite a high number compared to today's reality.

And if we have to operate within the current system (rather than luxury island communism), then a maximum wage (or technically maximum yearly income before the 100% tax kicks in) should probably be part of that.

*equivalent, as in, not "father puts on his hat and goes to the office, mother bakes cakes and looks after the children", but maybe half-time each being enough to support a family.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Ravel posted:

Whatever people earn, incomes should all be in the same order of magnitude - salary and capital income. Inequality is bad in and of itself and we should take whatever steps are necessary to reduce and prevent it.

This is what I was getting at with the maximum wage thing too. It's why New Labour's "intensely relaxed about people becoming filthy rich" thing was very bad, even with the implication (if you're feeling generous) that untold wealth is fine so long as the people at the bottom end have enough. It sounds very logical - have a minimum floor, which could even be very comfortable, and let the uniquely successful/lucky shoot off into the stratosphere - but empirically it doesn't seem to work like that. Not that that ever stopped New Labour doing a thing.

No idea what the ratio should be, but definitely small, single figures.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

bump_fn posted:

the point is that the astronomically rich get that rich by stealing (peoples labour, etc) so if you have very rich people you also have people getting hosed over you can’t have one without the other

This is true, but also if you started from a point of fairly-equal income and wealth, but then gave a bunch of people giant money fresh off the printing press, the inequality itself would distort the system, harming those at the bottom just through the relative value of things, before they even started being exploited by the new-money-havers.

Which is why it doesn't matter to what extent a person acquired their hundreds of millions through exploitation, it should be taken off them all equally, whether they run a sweatshop, or sold their self-published Kindle book for £1.50 to 100m people.

E: but we should close the sweatshop and let the person keep self-publishing

Also links back to the MMT view of tax, which is that you don't take the money off these people to "fund government spending", you take the money off them and destroy it before it can do any harm.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Does anyone have any good reading on Universal [thing] as a step away from the musical-chairs world of the jobs market as the only way of surviving?

I'm seeing more liberals cottoning on to the fact that maybe the total amount of work that needs doing doesn't necessarily match up with [40h/week] x [total working age population], and talking about UBI as a result. Pitfalls I can see are:

- Setting the level way too low
- Scrapping all other benefits, including needs-related disability ones
- Unregulated housing market sucking up the UBI, leaving things functionally the same (but with no benefits, see above)

Meanwhile MMT people are keen on the UJG (universal jobs guarantee), which I guess is attractive to the "rah money for nothing" crowd, and there are definitely things the government could be paying people to be doing, but it sounds a bit too much like "work=good" to me. Works well as an automatic stabiliser during the regular downturns of capitalism though - plus in a pandemic the government can say "your job this month is to stay and home and not cough on people".

And we've talked about UB services before too, which I like because the landlords can't take them, and we have accepted precedent in the NHS.

I'd love to learn more about these things from a leftist perspective, if anyone's got any material.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The notion of a "jobs guarantee" is extremely suspect to me because we already have it and it's called workfare.

That too. It may be over-optimistic of the UJG proponents to imagine a non-evil government that will pay a good wage to do necessary public works, to anyone that wants a job, rather than forcing people to work for private companies in order to receive their sub-minimum-wage benefits.

Or to hope the former won't morph into the latter over time.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 16, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of batshit insane accusations of antisemitism:

:lmao: at the Trump bit.
So you can't even go on a public platform and tell "lies" now without people calling you a "liar" these days, because of the internet.

Twitter may be a cesspit, but I did enjoy seeing the actor Evan Handler, who played Alan Dershowitz in The People v OJ Simpson, dunking on the actual Dershowitz for being terrible.

Before Twitter, how could you see actors having a go at people they'd played, eh? You'd have to go round to their respective houses, in some kind of posse.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

mrpwase posted:

You could use an RSS notification, I use IFTTT on my phone to tell me when there's a new LP on SA so I'm sure you can get something to work with Youtube.

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/103017/single-rss-feed-for-all-youtube-subscriptions <- this might help

Going way back but I got around to figuring this out. I just added an RSS extension to my browser (EasyRSS), and then you put the URL of each Youtube channel in the format

code:
https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=UCBa659QWEk1AI4Tg--mrJ2A
Where the bit after the = sign is the channel's ID number that you see in the URL of the channel's Home page.

Now I can get the perfect Youtube experience - a little number tells me there's a new video, and I can go and watch it without logging in, or seeing comments or suggestions. This has made me disproportionately happy :)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bullshit Jobs covers the concept well: "I had the perfect job, I basically didn't have to do anything and got paid loads of money, so why was I miserable and quit to do something harder and worse-paid?" (paraphrasing)

Turns out doing nothing hurts the brain, especially in the system where it's associated with being lazy and bad.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I'm reminded a bit of the various Family Party types who are like "we cannot teach children about sex" "okay so teens will have sex without precautions and require abortions?" "no we're also against that" "so they'll be forced to have kids that require state support?" "no we're also against that" "so you want a return to the 'mother and baby homes' with thousands dead?" where the only obvious conclusion is that they're angry that people are not being sufficiently punished for their existence.

And it's tempting, almost encouraged even, to think that this was something that came out of medieval Catholicism, or back to the Bronze Age even, but there's a counter argument that even this in its modern shouty form is about the same age as one of the go-to examples of postmodern consumer capitalism.

This relates to the ought-is thing I'm always banging on about. We look at the situation and the evidence shows that abortions for all, sex education and state support produce the best outcomes, our "ought" being that kids should have knowledge about sex, practice it safely if they do, and avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Their "ought" stops much further up the line, at "kids should not know about or have sex", so any evidence about the consequences of this is irrelevant to them. See also, drug harm reduction (our ought) vs "people shouldn't take drugs, and if they do they should be punished" (the ought of war-on-drugs fans)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It reminds me of the 'well they should just not do that' mentality in right wingers.

Like when they talk about teenagers having sex with each other and say they shouldn't. And you say "right, but the fact is they are currently doing it, so what can we do to solve the problem that is happening," and all they can do is fold their arms, look twice as smug and repeat that they shouldn't.

Same thing with homelessness (they should just stop drinking and get jobs), entrenched poverty (if they psychotically dedicated their entire existence to the worship of moloch they too could afford to eat real food) and a bunch of other things. The pattern boils down to "there is a problem" / "they should just not have that problem" / "yes but there are nevertheless people with that problem" / "well they shouldn't"

It's a simple answer to a complex issue that somehow completely avoids any solution that requires more than one step of reasoning.

The very best example is children (the having and funding of). "People shouldn't have children they can't afford [without state support]" - ok, but they have, and the children are totally innocent of this even under your blame-loving ideology.

Answers to this are either:

- "Well they shouldn't have had them :smuggo:"
- "Then they should be taken into care"

The latter of which is doubly horrifying because it's both far worse for the child, and more expensive. But again, the "ought" stops at "shouldn't have had them", subsequent evidence be damned.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lootbox politics

"I got means-tested benefits!!!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

And yet there are still people in the replies saying "no, when they said herd immunity they meant via vaccine" (in spring 2020!), or "there was no vaccine in sight, so what else could they do?" (other than the effective methods used in other countries including competent test&trace) :sigh:

Also twisto made an interesting post before the elections kicked off, in our discussion regarding what should have happened at the beginning, masks, handwashing, airborne-ness etc. I found this article the other day, which is an interesting addition to the mix - the physics and biology of airborne particles and aerosols, and how they've informed epidemiology for several decades.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Reveilled posted:

Perhaps not impossible, but that seems more likely to be a folk etymology to me. If we're talking literal messenger boys (carrying written messages), it would have to be a cross-class borrowing since you could imagine a merchant or an officer having to get messages from messenger boys, but not so much Peggy from the Gorbals "getting the messages" in 19th-20th century Scotland. If we're talking messenger boys that are carrying "messages" in the sense of groceries, that just moves us back one step and we'd want to explain why the groceries the boys carried were called messages in the first place.

I have evidence for the court thread!

It's the same in Dutch, the word boodschappen means messages and "the shopping", e.g. boodschappen doen means to do the shopping, hier zijn de boodschappen means "here is the shopping [that I, the delivery driver, have brought you]". If the online supermarket needs to contact you, they'd send you a boodschap about your boodschappen. I noticed this when I moved here, and recognised it from my random knowledge of Scotland, mostly picked up from reading my mum's Broons and Oor Wullie annuals as a child.

Interestingly this is the same word as the German Botschaft(en) meaning messages (or embassy), but it doesn't mean shopping in German - for that they say einkaufen which is just in-buying.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Ugh, separate dentistry. It's the same here in NL - the government-mandated coverage of the compulsory health insurance is fine, even though the system is unnecessarily convoluted (~~competition!~~choice!~~), but of course teeth are their own thing, not covered by basic insurance. You can get optional dental insurance, but they're all like €300 in premiums a year, with a maximum payout of €500, so almost totally pointless.

My wife saw the dentist the other week, who in fairness charged about €30 for a checkup and X-rays, but didn't do anything else because she needs to see a jaw specialist. Who is a kind of dentist, not a kind of doctor, so it looks like we'll be paying the hundreds for that. Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bloodly posted:

I don't know about 'created'. More a 'race to the bottom'. Remaking ourselves to be as cheap and nasty and easily breaking down as possible. Someone's probably making a lot of God/AlienMoney off us.

GodeCoin