Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I finally finished radiant historia last month. It was neat, had some cool stuff, story kept doing this thing where I wished they would just get on with the twists and reveals though since it was so heavily foreshadowed that it was getting annoying seeing them dance around different reveals. Also Aht was incredibly annoying.

I dunno if I'll do the extra content (this is the 3DS version with the extra story stuff), can any of you tell me if it is worth playing through?

Yeah it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The original Pokemon Snap has 7 levels, if you include the final one which is more like a boss fight, so really it's 6 levels. Every run through the level has exactly the same things happen, except as influenced by your own actions to open new paths or create new behaviors. Still there's plenty of variety and a lot of different kinds of pictures to take and behaviors to observe, so to fill out your photo album could take a decent amount of time, certainly more than 3 hours. Still, it was a fairly short game.

In New Pokemon Snap I have so far found 9 unique locations (there may be more I'm not at the end yet) each of which is has at least one course as long as any in the first game. Additionally, most of these locations have both night and day versions with different routes through the area and different Pokemon to see, nearly doubling the number of playable levels. ALSO each individual version of each course has multiple variations based on your research level, where they way Pokemon behave around you and the paths available to you through the area shift. There are also a handful of similar "boss" levels that are much smaller.

And as well as this large amount of places to visit, each individual Pokemon variety has way more going on than in the first game. In the first one, while some Pokemon had multiple behaviors and different kinds of photos you could take, you could only ever save one of them as the official Best One. In this game every Pokemon has FOUR categories of photo the game asks you to get, each featuring a different behavior. The amount of replay value in tracking down all the different kinds of pictures you can take is immense and you are actually encouraged and rewarded for doing so.

So yeah New Pokemon Snap is way meatier than the original and is absolutely excellent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Me taking pictures in New Pokemon Snap

lmao

It's true

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know how many times I have to post this but the narrative that Pokémon Snap is too short or doesn't have enough content to be worth 60$ is just plain wrong. Yes, you can finish the story in a couple of days, I did it myself to make sure I unlocked all the areas and upgrades. But that's not the point of the game - the point is the absolutely staggeringly massive number of different pictures to find. And they're hard. I have hundreds of requests at this point hinting me towards special photos and I'm stumped by so many of them. I think I've still yet to grasp just how drastically you can manipulate Pokémon behavior to get these crazy things to happen. It's gonna take me a long time to get everything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jolo posted:

Ha, this sounds a lot like Hitman.

That's honestly a pretty good comparison lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arzaac posted:

I didn't realize I liked Wurmple so much until New Pokemon Snap, but drat he's just so cute

Wurmple's the perfect example of this phenomenon. It was just another generic dime a dozen first stage bug Pokemon to me, and then I spent the better part of a morning figuring out how to get this shot:

https://twitter.com/regy_rusty/status/1389222362642489345

Their triumph was my triumph and now I love them.

Similar thing happened with Spheal tonight:

https://twitter.com/regy_rusty/status/1390072364860252162

God it's cute

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pokemon Snap is the best game ever made

https://twitter.com/regy_rusty/status/1390144150880755719

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So some Pokémon definitely eat other Pokémon

Yep. The ice level has Mightyenas hunting Furrets and the water levels have Mareanie chasing down anything smaller than them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

like i got the perfect shot of pigeot grabbing the magikarp but it didn't loving count!! i've had that request for a while too

but i did figure out you can use the Dpad buttons to turn the camera around faster and man i wish i had known that sooner

Yeah the requests can be a bit finicky. For instance, in this example the reason it didn't count is you've got Pidgeot as the subject of the photo rather than Magikarp. The 4 star Magikarp photo of it being carried is what you want. Fortunately it's much easier to get a crappy photo of that (you can get it as it more slowly flies away) than the sick action shot you already have.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Please tell me you unlock bullet time except for snapping photos because otherwise that sounds like a whole thing

Most events aren't as hard to get good shots of as that Pidgeot/Magikarp one. Burst mode helps a lot but I still had to do it a number of times to get a series of shots I was happy with since its so cool looking.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I've taken pictures of all the pokemon and am starting to clear the photodex and at this point I'm willing to look things up for pokemon that I just have no ideas for at all

Some of the 4*s are really obscure or stupid but most of them are things where I can totally see how someone might have figured it out, even if I didn't

I ended up making a discord server for this purpose and a group of my friends and I are steadily working our way through figuring everything out without looking things up. It's great!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've been playing Pokémon Snap since it came out, working with friends to solve all the requests and get all the photos. Just last night we finally finished getting 100% on the first island.

It's a big game!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've never gotten past the first real fight in Transistor (I mean I beat it but then immediately stopped) because I absolutely don't understand the combat system at all. It just feels so weird and awkward to me, I don't know how to get into it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mean they're awful but they're also not real things these people actually do. The reaction you're getting is precisely the desired one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Oh poo poo you beat Owl Father?! I gotta watch the replay now...

His Owl Father fight is really really impressive

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't gotten Snap yet as I'm broke atm, but does it have any modes that aren't on a track?

For the N64 it was pretty impressive, the limitations were understandable. And I'm down with having an on-rails tour mode to get good pictures.

But is there no way to just walk around and take pictures of pokemon at your leisure? Because that would be really chill.

No, Snap is totally on rails. It's still quite chill, except when you're trying to figure out the hardest puzzles at which point you may be tearing out your hair, but it's worth it. I'm at 175/213 requests so getting there but still a ways to go. I love it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And the new job is a Bloodborne

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All the Pokémon Snap requests are asking for a very specific event, usually (but not always) a special 3 or 4 star photo. You just have to show that photo to the professor for it to count, don't have to keep them.

With 213 requests (one for every Pokémon except Vivillon) they aren't all winners. Some are obnoxious to get, others, like the Tailow, are pretty lame. And then occasionally it can be finicky with not accepting a shot that's juuuust off of what it's looking for. But it's worth it for the ones that lead you to truly breathtaking or funny interactions, as well as the ones that end up being tricky and satisfying to solve.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The ones that baffle me are like "Get a picture of a Pidgeot picking up a Magikarp" which tell you exactly what to do and I have a picture where that is definitely what is happening in the shot but I have no idea for what reason it's not accepting it. Do I need to have the subject of the shot be the Magikarp instead? Is it a timing issue? It'd be one thing if the game was like "aaaaaahh could you maaaaybe get the timing a little better?" it's literally telling me "nope that's not a photo of that" when, you know. It is.

You do need the Magikarp as the subject fwiw. As I said earlier there's exactly one request for each Pokemon, so if any involve pairs just check and see if you have another request for one of them and then you know which one needs to be the subject for it to count. Pidgeot has another request that's for it exclusively, so you can figure out that the other one must want Magikarp.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

The Base Game Is Good, though

I think people do a disservice to the game by freaking out so much that someone might not like it and then they prime them to do exactly that lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Modern MMOs like WoW and FFXIV are more this solo rpg you speed-run to unlock the endgame raiding which is a sort of weird and very different gameplay model.

I just fundamentally disagree with this because the journey WAS the good part of FF14. I didn't speedrun it, I took my time and enjoyed every minute along the way. I can't imagine trying to do what you describe, it sounds miserable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished 100% completing Pokemon Snap last weekend... or at least I would have except Nintendo still hasn't patched the one single request in the game that's actually glitched. :geno:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

controversial opinion: Steins Gate is a harem anime

I mean it literally is, each ending is focused on a different girl

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Here comes my sure to be highly controversial Final Fantasy ranking:

1. Final Fantasy XIV - Obviously head and shoulders above the rest
2. Final Fantasy IX - It was fun
3. Final Fantasy IV (DS) - It was fun until I got stuck on the moon and gave up
4. Final Fantasy VI - I like watching the cool parts of this more than I did playing it, kind of fizzled out halfway through
5. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Not as fun as Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventures, and we never beat it, but it was still a pretty good time playing through it with my friends as a teenager
6. Final Fantasy VII - I don't like it, but I did beat it.
7. Final Fantasy V - Played a few hours, unlocked the job system, got overwhelmed and bored like I always do with job systems
8. Final Fantasy Tactics - Job system, slow boring combat, huge early difficulty spike. No thanks

And that's all I've tried to play.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Despite my strong dislike of FF7, I do intend to play 7R someday. But probably not until all its parts are out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you can't game through pain and illness are you even really a gamer

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I once played Wario Land 2 while I had a terrible stomach bug and now I can't play that game any more without feeling really ill. :(

*crosses out JordanKai's name from the "List of Gamers" while shaking head sadly* What a pity...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

all this moon in games talk and not a single majora's mask call. :gas: this thread, y'all ain't gamers. no i wont respond if you notice someone did and I missed it.

Regardless, you deserve to be shown your shame:

Jay Rust posted:

Majora’s mask has a cool moon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's wild there's still a mainline Dragon Quest that's never getting an official release in the West.

https://twitter.com/afillari/status/1397761530096095235

I honestly burst out laughing at that little disclaimer

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Speaking of dragon quest, is there a reason to play both builders games or is builders 2 basically just builders 1 but better and I should just jump in with that one?

Builders 2 is better and you can just jump in with that. I ended up wanting more and went back to Builders 1 afterwards, and it was fun too, but it's definitely less polished.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The funny part of the forums

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The idea that Lurdiak gets a free pass for years of being an unpleasant rear end to everyone but a thread making fun of him when he does it in the wrong place is going to far, is very silly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod, letting something drop? That'll be the day!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

in the interest of community if i post something and immediately meltdown about feedback you have my permission to brutally own me for 1-2 dozen pages, not more than that though

Done

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I finished Etrian Odyssey 4's main story, haven't gone to the postgame stuff yet. I'll probably try it but if it is too frustrating then I don't mind setting the game down and calling it finished. A good game.

It's the only really good postgame in the series so I recommend giving it a good shot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

My only postgame experience is with Etrian Odyssey Untold where I did the story mode stuff and then redid the postgame stuff to fill out the rest of the map and explore around fighting the optional bosses, it was fine enough. What makes them bad outside of 4's?

Untold honestly is second best, you're right it's not so bad. The main issue is that EO postgames tend to veer very hard into "complete bullshit" in the design of their hardest fights. EO4 is the best one because its two hardest bosses are quite hard, but can still be beat with any party set up you did the rest of the game with without having to tear your hair out with frustration.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

As I was talking to Harrow about jRPGs the other day, he recommended me starting with Dragon Quest XI instead of Persona5 as a more easily able to get into jRPG combat style game.

Having played a couple of hours of it today I can say it does live up to a nice easing sort of game. The art style is so vivid and sweet that I cannot help but grin (also the characters speaking with a Bristolian twang is always welcome!)

And everytime I got into a battle in the Tor I kept thinking "Oh no! A group of Harrows are attacking!" hehe.

I think it will be a game I can play in chunks and bits quite easily amongst my demons souls playthrough.

Ha! I told you to play it months ago, glad you'll finally do it!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You could always turn on god mode if Hades is too hard for you, Stux

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No it's not. That's Gnosia.

Dangan Ronpa is a murder mystery game but with Battle Royale flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So I'm playing Mass Effect for the first time. I just beat the first one. I let the council die and only sort of regreted it when I read about mechanical consequences for the sequel and I'm pretty bummed to find out that if you let them live you get more dialogue choices. How gimped are the dialogue choices going into ME2 having killed the council? I do not care even a little bit about combat poo poo, I want every dialogue choice I can get. I don't want to end up in some horrible future where I can't keep my boy Wrex alive after doing so in the first one

Letting people die is pretty much always gonna result in less stuff yeah. I don't know exactly how much that effects things but it's definitely a good idea to try to keep people alive as much as possible if you want as many options as possible in the future