Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Speculative investors seriously thought that they were going to profit off of the vaccine? :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

learnincurve posted:

I had the “honour” of being one of the reported cases on the news back when every new case was newsworthy. Some dickhead took their daughter Skiing in Italy and then the family fled back to the U.K. when there was a outbreak at the resort, the kid then sat next to my daughter in class. Her school thought it was just “the sickness bug” going round the class like wildfire, till a kid with lung issues landed in hospital and got tested.

I then caught it again 6 months later in a supermarket disabled toilet, and the Oxford people came and took my blood because re-infection wasn’t a known thing at that point.

Was the second time worse or milder for you?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Every single person I know who's been vaccinated has had side effects. A few even told me if they knew beforehand "they never would have gotten the drat thing" and cancelled their second appointments.

Where do you live?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can see the misguided thought process. My vaccines got me sicker than the actual virus did for some people I know, it’s not just a flu vax “feeling crummy for a day” thing. It comes down to how much of a dice roll this virus is and if you haven’t seen how sick it can make you it’ll gently caress with your risk perception.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but my thoughts are if the vaccine knocks out someone, chances are the actual virus would have done a lot more damage.

AstraZeneca will probably be the first one available for me. I'm hoping that when supply catches up we can take more than one version. Gotta catch 'em all.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

learnincurve posted:

The numbers we also should be looking at are the vaccination % and the r rate. The vaccine not having taken won’t matter once we get to true herd immunity.

In the U.K. people have been less moronic than in America, but we do have our own variant of Qanon rat licking morons, but this is the point where our government needs to stop listing to this tiny minority of fuckwads and bring in vaccine passports and make the rules draconian for 3 months. We 100% know who these plague carriers are because they were the ones sat on benches outside burger vans and whatnot pushing pushing pushing the rules.

They extended this loving plague, if they don’t want a passport they can stay the gently caress inside like the rest of us had to for a year.

The only thing that worries me about immunity passports is that a counterfeit market could develop, rendering the whole program totally useless.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

learnincurve posted:

AZ made me phenomenally hungry about 20 mins after I’d had it. It wasn’t regular hunger because I’d had a huge breakfast in case it made me feel poorly after.

Sorry dude. You're pregnant.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I feel naked if I don't go outside with a mask.

Also I want the needle in my butt.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

hakimashou posted:

I dunno if its been approved for the butts but you can get it in the thigh

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/29/well/live/covid-vaccine-thigh-lymphedema-breast-cancer.html

They do the deltoid because it's right next to lymph nodes, but so is the thigh. Idea is to give the vaccine right near the lymph node since that gets the biggest immunological bang for the buck, but some people have that lymph node damaged or removed and so the thigh is theoretically preferable for them.

You can apparently elect to get it in the thigh some places. With as widespread as vaccine availability is now I bet you wouldn't have too much trouble getting it that way if you wanted.

I did not expect to learn this much after indicating that I wanted an injection in my butt. I will never forget this information, nor how I came upon it. Thank you!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

The first thing I'm going to do once fully vaxxed is go gently caress.

"I'm fully vaxxed" is the new "I'm on the pill".

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Lurker Ant posted:

I've literally been waiting to get the vaccine before I make a new dating profile. My ex broke up with me right before covid hit so it seems appropriate.

Hell yeah, get 'em.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

It’s crazy that the same CDC that’s like “Watch out! There’s polio in Malaysia!” is like “Go on down to Denny’s to gently caress and suck in a pandemic. You deserve it.”

lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Lolie posted:

What's happened here is a lot of employers realising that they can save on overheads if they don't need to provide expensive office space for all of their employees five days per week, so a lot of employees are only going into the office once or twice a week.

On the one hand, great, but I hope they invest in better laptops because the corporate one I got for work has been a huge slow pain in the rear end.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Scheduled for my first shot tomorrow. Not sure which one will be administered (probably Pfeizer-BioNTech).

Suspect I'll be feeling an immense sense of relief afterwards, despite nothing changing in my day-to-day.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Most of the angry hosers were just conservatives looking for another excuse to whine about Trudeau.
Edit: I'm genuinely shocked that Canada is ahead of the US.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Not sure if it's related, but 12 hours after getting Pfizer, I now have a huge loving migraine. Could be dehydration/caffeine related, but I haven't had one like this in a long while. It woke me up in the middle of the night.

Everything else feels fine. Hope the painkillers kick in soon.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I didn't know there was such a thing, but those people can absolutely go gently caress themselves.

My head feels like it's in a vicegrip. They can shove their armchair medical opinion and lack of clinical evidence right up their insufferable rear end in a top hat.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

pacerhimself posted:

https://youtu.be/8BIcAZxFfrc

Goooooooon hbomberguy has a video exploring MMR vaccine scare mongering. It's sort of ancillary to this but still relevant

It might make you want to pull your hair out

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm about halfway through and I already want to punch my computer.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Holy poo poo. I just got to "the bad part" and I basically want to kill Andrew Wakefield.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

learnincurve posted:

My son was born in 2002 and is autistic, imagine how much I hate Wakefield. I cannot tell you the number of nasty people, not just people I knew but actual strangers on the street who came up to us and said “do you think it was the MMR?”

My answer was always the same; “no. He was diagnosed at 8 months, his jab was at 15 months” and then to just walk away.

What made it so nasty was that the implication always was that I “knew about the “risks” of the jab and did it anyway”. Like it was all my fault, I’d ignored this fraud and deliberate “ruined” my son and yeh I heard that from people, even after I pointed out his early diagnosis - “they can’t tell that young”. Well yes in extreme cases they really can, if the average age people start noticing symptoms is 15 months then some, like my lad, will be noticeably different at birth and the process of finding out why starts then.

So gently caress Wakefield, and gently caress people who think the quality of my lad’s life is made worse by Autism when it’s not. ignorant people like them who refuse to bend and try to force him to do things he does not want to do have always been the root cause of any of his distress and that’s on them and not him.

My favourite was when the prevailing theory for the cause of autism was the mother's not loving their child enough. I can't imagine the amount of guilt and anguish that those mom's endured in the 50's & 60's, and the "therapies" that those children must've received.

But no guys, this vaccine theory is the real cause. :rolleyes:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Some redneck pilot in my ex-wife's family was a COVID denier until recently. Their whole family has it now, and his wife has been hospitalized.

"Yeah, it's not just like the flu". Well no poo poo you idiot. Now get your asses immunized.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I was feeling pretty good about being in post-pandemic life now, but all it took was a minor illness I would have normally just chalked up as a sinus infection to leave me paranoid and quarantined again. Everyone I was going to see this weekend is vaccinated anyway, but I still don't think I can justify hanging out until I know, at least until symptoms go away.

A family member I live with has had a moderate-severe cough for two days. While we wait for the test results:
  • the kids have stayed home from school and dance
  • I've shifted to working from home
  • we're all self-isolating
We're doing this despite being vaccinated (those who are eligible right now). Because it's not time to be cavalier yet.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Lookout COVID-19 thread. We've renamed all the variants of concern, so we don't stigmatize the places that they were discovered. Also because it was confusing scientists.
code:
--------------------------------------------
Discovered	Variant		Now Known As
--------------------------------------------
U.K.		B117		Alpha
South Africa	B1351		Beta 
Brazil		P1		Gamma
India		B1617		Delta
Lets hope we won't ever see Epsilon.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I don't want your commie socialized medicine :argh: - An Idiot

(not what that article was, but it makes me wonder)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

^^^ That sucks major dick ^^^

Hrist posted:

What I'm saying is that I had to pay for my shot in the form of sitting and listening to entitled racist white boomers bitch about the foreign boogie man for 15 minutes. And I honestly don't think that was a fair trade, but whatever. I'm glad it's done.

This is the right attitude.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

I got pegged when I got vaxxed?

Hey baby. Want me to vax your neg hole?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

SubNat posted:

I really wish Norway did something similar, it's incredibly frustrating to see the news about them shuffling vaccines between counties, and doing stuff like pushing 25-40 year olds to the back of the queue (because apparently it's critical that 18-24 year olds can party this summer?), all the meanwhile the amount of people with first-doses is plateauing because 80%+ of the vaccines are purely going towards second-doses.

Gen X: heavy are the shoulders that carry the world.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Big City Drinkin posted:

That seems to be better news for Pfizer crew

I'm not really sure it does. I didn't read beyond the abstract, but AZ/Pfizer > AZ/AZ doesn't really mean AZ/Pfizer > Pfizer/Pfizer.

(this post is not an endorsement of one vaccine over another – get whateverthefuck you can!)

VVV edit: If you have a choice yeah. But with current scarcity, I'd rather take AZ now then wait months for a different one VVV

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 4, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

lol, but TIMG that poo poo mang

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

You shouldn't get drunk after your shot because if one of your side effects is a huge rear end migraine (like me), you'll want to take as much Tylenol and Advil as you possibly can to make that poo poo go away.

I get headaches from time to time, but that's the worst one I've had in years.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

May the odds be forever in your favor.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

There has been a lot of anecdotal evidence of the vaccine messing with women’s cycles which is where part of the miss information could be coming from.

:corrupt:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

While we're talking about vaccines, I realized that I haven't opened my own immunization booklet in forever. Turns out I'm about a decade overdue for my Td booster, and should probably consider getting a few more jabs for things that are newly recommended (HPV, shingles, etc).

This was your PSA to check your immunizations history (Canada, US) and make sure you aren't going to bring back polio.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Everyone's going to have certain levels of comfort as things slowly start opening up again. If you don't feel okay about going over, express that clearly and politely and take it from there.

It's really not a big deal. I'm sure most folks will be understanding if someone isn't totally comfortable with relaxing the risk mitigation strategies right away. People deserve to feel safe, and I don't think (most) anyone really takes issue with that.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

As long as they provide enough anime fuckdolls, I don't see the problem.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Ccs posted:

I finally got my second dose. Canada was slow on the supply but we're now one of the most vaccinated countries in the world.

Getting my second one next week. By the end of the month, most of my family should be fully vaccinated. Kinda wish they'd greenlight kids getting it so the rest of 'em can be protected.

Katamari Democracy posted:

What kinda bothered me was when I got my 2nd shot I had to sign something saying i had no health insurance and I kinda showed my rear end saying I should not NEED health insurance to get something to protect myself and others from DYING.

So if I get a 3rd shot; would I have to pay for it? Because I had Covid in Jan for like three months, got my 2nd shot this past week, and I would really like to keep this immune poo poo up at least before to fight off the earth blowing up.

Well at least a global health crisis is sure to kick start American socialized medicine, right?

Right?

:smith:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Philthy posted:

If someone wanted to get 100 doses injected into them in a single day they could, so long as you had 100 walgreens, cvs, etc.

A shot everyday keeps the plague away.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

lol gently caress

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

bradburypancakes posted:

The UK Chief scientific adviser did misspeak in a press conference earlier today

https://twitter.com/uksciencechief/status/1417204235356213252?s=20

60% is different in metric

vvv Edit: It'll help someone sleep at night, but lord knows none of them deserve it. vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 21, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

^^^ Edit: You're the parent. You're allowed to make these kind of decisions for a baby with an immature immune system. Any family members who do not respect your wishes can go gently caress themselves.
^^^ Edit2: Also, get ready to hear the same poo poo for the breastfeeding/formula phase (no matter which way you go).

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/safetodo/status/1417651296723668997

tl;dr A guy in Canada started a website listing businesses only taking clients who are fully vaccinated and now he has to shut it down because of harassment of himself and the businesses.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

I was kinda on the fence at first, but then I realized there's a lot of immunocompromised folks that could have really benefited from that kind of database. :(

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Rolo posted:

March - First Pfizer dose
April - Second Pfizer dose
Today - Positive test

Lady said the rapid result came back immediately. I feel more sick than I've ever felt.

gently caress you rednecks.

:( Keep us posted on how you're doing.