Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

low key sex master posted:

I've had both doses and next week will mark two weeks since my second, but I feel like I'm going to be wary going inside to eat at a restaurant for a very, very long time. Anyone else feeling the same way?

I'm fully vaxxed but I don't think I will eat indoors in a long time. Or go to the movies. I'm still debating playing indoor sports again. I really want to get back to playing ice hockey but being inside a rink is probably one of the most risky behaviors I could take. So I may wait until Fall/Winter on that to see if cases drop further before I consider it again.

The one allowance I have given myself is to start playing outdoor sports again. Being outdoors while vaxxed seems safe enough to me even when being around other people. And I am pretty fine with picking up takeout at this point even if I have to go inside. Pre vaxx I didn't even like doing that and would prefer to order delivery on stuff I had to get something.

But I suppose it all comes down to personal risk tolerance in the end. My company is going to schedule some get-together at some point I'm pretty sure. I've avoided the previous ones due to not being vaxxed but I'm sure the pressure on me to show up to the next one will be large now that I actually am vaxxed. So that kinda sucks because I'd rather not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Buffets always seemed gross to me even pre covid. I've never really understood the appeal. If you wanna pig out you can just order a shitload of food instead and not have to deal with the disgusting poo poo people do at buffets.

I guess buffets are cheap if that's your thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Aren't the vaccines still like 95% effective against all these variants?

I admittedly haven't worn a mask out in a while. I'm not out wildly sucking and loving but I am doing basic activities I enjoy again like playing sports and once in a while going to a movie. But I'm vaxxed so I've felt fairly safe doing these things. The thought of re-masking because people are morons and can't get a jab is depressing.

I do live in a high transmission area and I've been doing stuff for a while now since my shots so I wonder how many times if at all I've exposed myself already to the virus.

I dunno. Shits depressing. I self isolated and gave up tons of activities before the vaccine was available and got it as soon as I could and this shits just never gonna go away is it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Completely depends on what you mean:
1) Will the vaccine stop me from dying
2) Will the vaccine stop me from needing to be hospitalized
3) Will the vaccine stop me from having any symptoms
4) Will the vaccine stop me from transmitting it to other people who may die
5) Will the vaccine stop me from catching it at all while I flash and invincible music plays

Anti vaxxers killing the sanctity of the suck and gently caress

But it seems the answers are 1) yes, 2) most likely yes 3) most likely yes 4) no 5) no

DickParasite posted:

The vaccines are very effective at preventing bad outcomes for those who get sick. They are less effective at preventing the vaccinated from getting sick or preventing the sick-but-vaccinated from spreading the virus.

The masks protect others, sadly even those who think it's all an elaborate rouse by the adrenochrome-smoking pedophile-cabal.

I just hate feeling guilty about doing stuff again. Or worse, feeling at all unsafe about it.

I have a company event coming up soon. Can't say I'm looking forward to being around a bunch of people from around the country. Naturally because vaccines are a thing I can't really wiggle my way out of it either. Rip

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I had no side effects from the first shot but had some fatigue and body chills after the second one. Those only lasted that day though.

I'm getting a little depressed about how endemic this disease is now. I've been doing some stuff like playing hockey and occasionally seeing a movie since I got my shots months ago and now I'm starting to feel somewhat guilty about that and wondering if I should even be risking it at all and also whether I'm exposing other people by doing stuff. I mean I know the shot will probably prevent bad outcomes for me but it also seems inevitable that I will catch this if I keep doing things. I kept myself on super strict lockdown prior to getting a shot and it's depressing to imagine going back to that but the way this Delta poo poo is heading how is there any end game but that?

I hate to doom post but holy gently caress is this poo poo depressing and it feels like there's no end game in sight.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Looks like we're all gonna be due for another jab: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/us/politics/booster-shots.html.

I got mine in...April? May? I forget off the top of my head. I'll definitely be lining up to get a third shot as soon as I'm eligible. I'm not in any risk groups other than being a bit overweight but I've been working hard to lose that weight and have made some really good progress. I'm hoping my parents can get on this asap though.

Honestly I'll line the gently caress up to get a shot every year if that's what it takes with this poo poo. I know it's not going away any time soon because of the morons who won't get one

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is getting a hair cut a bad idea if I'm vaxxed? I'm guessing most any place I go to there's like a 50/50 chance here that they'd even wear a mask since I live in a dumb red state.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Get some clippers and shave your head. It's time to try it.

If it looks bad, oh well, you're inside most of the time anyway.

I know someone who can do it kinda halfway decent who I know is vaxxed so I might just do that. They aren't a pro but...it'll do. I wouldn't even give a poo poo but I'm trying to get a new job and got an interview next week.

I'm trying to limit the poo poo I go out for. I admittedly still do a few risky behaviors - the worst of which probably being playing hockey or rarely seeing a movie - but I feel like I'll go insane if I don't do that. And at least the theater I go to is more of an indie one and the people that go there are likely the type of crowd that is more likely to vaxx.

I really hate this agony of weighing every decision I make when leaving the house. All because of the idiotic few that won't vaxx.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think anything has made me despise my country more than this disease. I knew things were hosed up and stupid before this, but it's never been more obvious than now just how bad we are.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

This was your breaking point for “America is bad”? Not the racial oppression or war crimes?

Of course I knew we were poo poo before this. This was just like the final rotten cherry on the poo poo sundae that is the US (and the world). Every year now is worse than the one before it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So I've been hearing that a 3rd booster significantly improves protection against disease.

That seems like very good news.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Is that still just in older people? If I could get something that will turn my eventual bout with Delta into asymptomatic or the sniffles instead of hellcold that would be nice.

I think (in the US) it's still waiting for approval but I read the plan is to offer a 3rd booster for people who are 6 months out from their second jab. I got mine in April so that'd be October for me.

numberoneposter posted:

well you just jinxed it and now the Epsilon Variant literally makes your head explode

hey look buddy it's Friday and I'm trying to feel the slightest bit of hope.

You're right though :(

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

I just did some digging and it sounds like so far all they've been able to show in younger people is elevated levels of antibodies in the blood. No data on infections/outcomes. Probably doesn't hurt either way, although I'd rather not go through the side effects again if it's not gonna change anything for me.

I was reading that in old people at least the protection was grading out as significantly higher in a study they did in Israel. https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-finds-covid-19-vaccine-booster-significantly-lowers-infection-risk-2021-08-22/

Seems promising :shrug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Nobody is safe until everyone is safe

the US might be drowning in vaccines but if a majority of the world doesn't have even 1 dose, it's just a breeding ground for a worse variant

You're absolutely right

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They started talking about 8 months, then went "uhhhh maybe 6 months???" and just now:

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1431293552605208576

I think the Israeli study I cited mentioned they were doing 5 months so I guess there is precedent

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So was playing outdoor hockey with a dude who caught covid 3 weeks ago and had gotten over it. He lost like 14 pounds and couldn't run that well. This is a guy who is a beast of an athlete and ex pro player and like your classic in shape mid 30s athlete. Dude still clearly got hosed up bad by it. Of course he wasn't vaxxed, though he now says he will.

Like literally pre covid was a prime mid 30s athlete and now clearly took a bad hit from it. Kinda sobering to see that.

This poo poo just isn't real to people until it is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tennessee figured out a better way to verify their covid hospital data and discovered that they'd been under-reporting their covid hospitalizations by roughly 20%

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2021/08/31/tennessee-underreported-covid-19-hospitalizations-5100/5670622001/

I for one am shocked that my backwoods shithole Republican state is under-reporting covid hospitalizations by so much

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Blooster posted:

Mentally unstable

Also this is in one of the highest taxed school districts in the country lol

That kid looks like a 10 year old Rush Limbaugh

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Please start taking these vaccines called Spikebutty, Jabby, and Vaxeroo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I really hate how maddeningly unclear the data is with this thing. CDC saying Pfizer is 77% effective after 120 days makes me not want to go outside again ever, but then it also says most of the hospitalized people in that cohort are still olds. I know there's a risk no matter what but if it's as low as 77% then gently caress I guess I'm locking down again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Effective at what? Preventing infection, hospitalization, death?

The CDC study claimed 77% at prevent hospitalization/death. But I guess also getting symptomatic at all would be something to be concerned about given the potential long term effects.

I'm kinda leaning towards waiting for a booster at this point. if they ever authorize it. bleh

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There any data on outdoor transmission with delta?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Elea posted:

Could always mutate to become more deadly too. Give it another percent death rate and we'll get to see the discourse on if we should live with it.

There's so much pandemic fatigue now that this thing could mutate to be 50% more deadly and there'd be a lot of people just throwing their hands up going welp guess we're all gonna die nothing to be done

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So what's the messaging when we need a 4th shot in another 6 months from the 3rd shot? I mean that's pretty likely, no? Isn't Israel already planning on that?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Given how many people have died of covid and how many police officers there are that number actually seems pretty low to me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Beartaco posted:

Hi, I got my second dose of the pfizer vaccine yesterday and it has completely and utterly hosed my poo poo up. I woke up at 5am with the worst chills and shaking of my entire life, nausea, headache, the works. I spent about 2 hours wrapped head to toe in three duvets in a desperate attempt to warm up. I've since just had the nastiest fever, which thankfully has mostly gotten better and at the very least has stopped affecting me while I'm awake, but it's still a pain in the rear end when I try to sleep which I've almost exclusively been trying to do.

It's genuinely been one of the worst days of my life, and would make me seriously consider not getting a booster if they were to ever become available a year or so from now.

I'm mostly posting for a bit of sympathy because I'm losing my mind. Did anyone else have any nasty side effects from their second jab?

Sorry you're having a rough time, but as others have said that's probably still way preferable to actual covid. If the data shows boosters are effective I'd still consider getting one were I you.

I got body aches and chills with the second shot and felt tired for a day. The first shot didn't really do anything to me. I haven't gotten a third one so I'm kinda curious what the effects will be if/when I do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So you hate wearing masks so you design a fake mask site to troll the left except now you're still wearing a mask anyways but one which does nothing and is probably still uncomfortable to wear?

Bit of a self own there

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm getting my booster this Sunday. I stopped doing stuff over the past month or two due to concerns about waning immunity plus Delta running wild but I'm cautiously optimistic that the combination of getting this booster plus cases going down in my area will make it so that me playing sports again isn't the worst idea ever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pyrtanis posted:

I have heard there's been damage and long term effects from catching covid (brain/lung etc) but was that just from the body going scorched earth to kill the virus, and not from the virus itself? Curious because I'm moving to northern Alberta soon and while double jabbed (AZ/Moderna) I'm pretty sure I'll eventually get exposed. :sigh:

e: I'm asking because I'm not sure if you get less or same screwed if you catch it post vax

Someone else might have more details but my understanding is that long covid is significantly less prevalent (but not nonexistent) in vaccinated individuals. So you might get long term complications if you catch it, but the odds are a lot lower that you will have those problems than someone who is non vaxxed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

You can get one now if you're in a vulnerable group. BMI is rather ridiculous and even if you're not moon huge you could still very likely fit into the obese category. I'm only 205 pounds and qualify as obese even though I'm just average height. I'm definitely trying to lose this weight and have been doing well at it but it's crazy to me that I'm considered obese still and not just overweight because I really feel quite mobile and healthy these days

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If you're scheduling to get a booster make sure it's exactly 6 months or later after your 2nd shot. I've heard you will get turned away otherwise

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 10, 2021

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Just put into the CVS website that your last dose was on the legit date but in 2020 and their computer system will let you make the appointment and then you just show up and aint nobody saying poo poo to you. If they do just be like "whoops huh...? What? Huh??" until they give you the shot anyway.

They'll check your vaccination card. Though I'm not sure what they will do if you don't have that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Got my booster today. Feeling pretty good about that. Just gotta wait a few weeks for these antibodies to kick in and I'll be feeling a lot better about being out than I had been.

e: I will let you all know soon if my balls get huge

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Early side effects from this booster....I feel sluggish as hell and like I'm high or on ambien or something. I'm pretty dumb normally but this feels above that.

e: balls not big yet

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Woodsy Owl posted:

Are you getting legit 5G Ultra Capacity now or still getting 5G Extended Range?

My 5g feed is starting to feel a little crisper but it's not quite all the way to ultra capacity yet

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man this booster floored me last night. Chills and then really hot and then bad headaches. Wasn't a good time. Hit me harder than either of the first two shots did.

I feel a lot better today though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wendigee posted:

Got my yearly physical this week. I got my flu shot. Nurse said wait 14 days before the COVID booster my doctor said I should get...

CDC says don't worry worry about it.

I was able to sign up for 3rd Pfizer legally through dillons here.. also Kroger and several other names around the country.

I filled it out online. First question was are you immunocompromised. I marked it no.

Then it popped up a second box asking if you're at risk "view CDC guidelines"

Marked that yes, gave then my insurance info, doctor info, and when I had been vaxxed previously and what not.

Doctor said I wasn't really at a huge risk but get one because fat. And he said I really really don't want to get it. That fits the CDC guidelines.

I'm getting my third Booster at Dillons in 10 days.

Walgreens refused to boost me if I wasn't immunocompromised and I had to tell them I was and sign a form? Uhh okay.

They are literally across the street from each other.

I said I had a flu shot this week and they said no problem. gently caress Walgreens I guess?

I got my booster via Walgreens and I didn't have to mark immunocompromised. The only thing Walgreens was strict about was making sure you get the shot at exactly 6 months or later from shot 2. For some reason their online thing lets you schedule earlier than 6 months out from your shot, so the first time I went in they turned me away because it wasn't 6 months. But apart from that I had no issues getting it done.

They didn't vet my health conditions either. I could have walked in there with zero health conditions and gotten the booster, so if you're somehow a goon that isn't even fat or whatever you could probably still get it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Don't some of those firemen make absolute bank too? I thought I saw one of them was on the job for like 20+ years and had like a 200k salary he was throwing away to own the libs

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

liz posted:

Haven’t visited this thread in a bit… How many of you have gotten booster for Pfizer? It’s been roughly 8 months for me, just wondering what to expect as I’m getting mine Friday. I still WFH but am going to be traveling so I thought it would be a good idea to get it.

I got Pfizer recently. My first night was kinda rough tbh. Worse than I remember the 2nd shot being. I had chills and was really cold and then got super hot and sweaty and had general body aches. I woke up the next day with a pounding headache though once I rehydrated and popped an ibuprofen that went away. After that I was pretty good but that first night was lovely.

I did also have a sore arm for a few days.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Fyi Walgreens may not give you a booster if you're not at least 6 months out from your last shot. Their online booking tool will let you book earlier than 6 months but if you show up to that appointment they won't do it. I submitted the correct info when booking my booster a few weeks ago and the first date I chose was a few days before 6 months and they wouldn't let me get it. When I rescheduled to 6 months after my shot they did it though.

So I would advise making sure you're at least 6 months out to the day from your last shot. I don't know if every Walgreens is as strict about that as the one I went to but I imagine most are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

Don't lie about medical information!

Everyone who got shots in NM can get looked up, my girl forgot her card to her booster appointment last week and they just wrote a new one with the dates and shot and told her to carry the old one with her as proof that it's all 100%.

I didn't lie, that's the thing. I used their online tool and inputted the correct date for when I had my 2nd dose, and it let me pick a time that was earlier than 6 months out for the booster. So I figured that was acceptable.

Turns out they are strict about it being at least 6 months out and you shouldn't rely on their online tool being correct. Make sure when you book that it's exactly 6 months or later or you may get turned away.