Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

compshateme85 posted:

Vaccinated people will stop testing, so the positivity rate will not be reflective of the virus circulation. This will make it harder to track the spread of variants.

No they probably won’t.

At this point if someone comes down with COVID symptoms vaccinated or not they will most likely get tested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

If you really need to go to the gym for the squat rack and are fine paying 75% markup curve be damned open er up then poo poo please enjoy yourself

Ok we get it already.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cobra Commander posted:

Is there any cause for concern with alcohol consumption post 2nd shot of the vaccine? SWIM is inquiring.

I went day drinking after my second shot but it still kicked my rear end hardcore lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saros posted:

So good news as long as you ignore the fact the UK still can't be arsed to do even the bare minimum quarantine and contact tracing.

I’ll give you the contact tracing but no one is doing that worth a poo poo.

AFAIK there is still a travel quarantine though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Regardless of what people here seem to think it seems like the UK is doing pretty good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

The UK tracing is pretty serious now. I’ve had daily phone calls since getting back from Sweden and taken multiple tests. Friends have had the police round if they’ve missed the calls and I believe the call locations are tracked to make sure you are not moving around. Border control were serious about seeing all the proofs too. Took way too long but it’s legit good now.

But someone else just said it’s all poo poo and they aren’t doing anything??? :confused:

Not sure which is true (yes I do)!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I work at a major international airport and yeah poo poo has gotten fuckin wild. That number doesn't even take into account incidents that are happening prior to passengers boarding or even pre screening.

People have lost their drat minds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That’s an IHME estimate and I don’t think it can be true because it significantly exceeds measures of excess deaths.

It is possible for the real COVID toll to exceed excess deaths because traffic fatalities and such went down, but is there that much room for it to increase?

FWIW traffic deaths seem to have gone up.

quote:

Driving was markedly down in 2020, yet a new report found a surprising and alarming statistic: Traffic deaths actually rose last year. The National Safety Council (NSC) says deaths from motor vehicles rose 8% last year, with as many as 42,060 people dying in vehicle crashes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I work at a major international airport and let me tell you what. COVID is definitely over.

Passenger loads on nearly all airlines are getting close to pre COVID levels.

Domestic and international.

Everyone has a mask on though!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I also work a lot of hours and stuff, so I'm also probably a bit more predisposed to that sort of thing as well. I'll try not to worry about it too much, but lifting is like my only healthy outlet and it's pissing me off.

How long did you take off?

Like I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Husband still hasn't been able to book his first shot, and they've opened bookings for everyone over 12 now, so his spot in line to access the booking site is nearly 90,000th. That is a bit frustrating but also fantastic that so many under 40s are getting vaccinated. This waiting to book hasn't happened since the very first round for elderly and severely ill.

His vaccine reluctant co-workers are trying to really milk the paid time off, they're trying to book the entire day off for a one hour wait at a clinic, because they still get 3 hours of pay. They're all a bunch of lazy assholes though, so it's not a surprise.

I took the day off for my 2 hour appointment because gently caress it the government is paying for it :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

“People aren’t getting the shot!” :argh:

“People are taking the whole day off to get the shot!” :argh:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nexous posted:

I enjoy trolling people as much as the next person but at some point you gotta lay off when they are legit asking you to stop harassing them

Absolutely no one was getting harassed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It really, really depends on your situation. Are you on a jogging trail with very little breeze and everyone is staying way the hell apart (since they just said that it can spread more than 6 ft)? Yeah that's probably fine. Or like, outdoor yoga that's got everybody very far spaced and has little wind.

But gosh there's way less of that and way more of closer-than-the-majority-thinks-type outdoor activities. I keep going back to my local farmer's market, but it's kinda just what comes to mind. People don't realize there's 60 people within 10 ft of them and 3/4ths of them don't have their vaccines (statistically, because Georgia is like 48th for vaccinations)

True but the people not wearing masks should be fully vaccinated so that doesn’t really matter.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just to be painfully clear, you're making a sarcastically pessimistic joke here, right?

They might be joking but they probably aren’t wrong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Meh. Despite how the Republican death cult is operating, it still strikes me as a reach that the Supreme Court would void a century or more of established case law to own the libs. During the measles outbreaks a couple years ago I read into the matter (disclaimer: I am not a lawyer) and the ability of individual states to mandate vaccination under the umbrella of public health is pretty robust. Not to mention that employers can mandate these things, too.

States maybe it just seems like a pretty large over reach for it to be federally mandated.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1393294339871330311?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1393313569148637186?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1393704740480077827?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The cashier at the grocery store doesn't know if I'm vaccinated. The small restaurant I got takeout from yesterday doesn't know if I'm vaccinated. If wearing a mask makes others around me feel safer then I'm going to do it. I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept, much less something to get angry about.

But you know you are vaccinated.

Also one thing that struck me over the past few is that the vaccine was treated as the holy grail and once it rolls out to enough people the end will be in sight.

That doesn’t seem to be the case looking over posts in this thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, the people who demonstrably treat the vaccination like a magical transformation that means we can drop all safety precautions are.

I’m not sure if you watched the news or anything but that’s legit what people have been told since this poo poo started.

The vaccine is supposed to be the “cure”.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1394073263005913092?s=21

Nearly 60% vaccinated

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yeah, this is what I mean. This right here. Congratulations to them for being at 60%, too.

In theory that should be us in 60 (ish) days?

Probably more like 75 but still.

Getting to 80% is probably going to take 4x as long though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1394082992239304712?s=21

59 days (hopefully).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

Saying that fully vaccinated people will still spread the virus is an argument that anti-vaxxers use to justify not getting vaccinated.

But people in this thread have said that :confused: :tinfoil:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

killer crane posted:

Commonly I've heard "I can't miss 3 days of work/taking care of my kids dealing with side effects."

There's plenty who say they'll get around to it eventually, but I wonder how many of those are waiting for a time they feel able to be off their feet with side effects.

Yeah this too.

Like not all states have the COVID sick time stuff (they should).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The place I got vaccinated sent me a link so I could add my vaccination record to my Apple wallet which shows the dates and has a QR code which can be scanned.

That’s really the only trustworthy way it’s gonna work.

The physical cards are a joke.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Where'd you get poked? Kroger hasn't done anything like this for me. I'd be way cool with it.

It was done through LA county but they used a third party (carbon Health which I had never heard of).

I have to imagine other places will try and roll something similar out. It doesn’t seem that difficult.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1394789875853971456?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1395519694694662152?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1396205523737919489?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1396627513548365835?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1397249173666271237?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Social media is a curse

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1397255039907926022?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Mayo clinic is saying % of entire population, the tweet is saying % of adults.

Yeah they only recently opened things up to under 18s so that’s gonna take a real long time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Accretionist posted:

If it leaked, it's the same risk every lab takes.

Eh I wouldn’t be so sure about that.

China notoriously pays its scientists and associated workers pretty crap wages and I highly doubt they take the same levels of precautions.

It’s definitely not an intentional leak but I can 100% but it being accidental.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Pot kettle.

Maybe not 50 years ago.

I have no idea what any of this means but that article is pretty telling wrt PPE.

It’s not like it matters at this point as we will never really know one way or the other.

I would hope that this lights a fire under their rear end to more harshly enforce PPE rules but :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This might seem a little weird but I’ll ask anyway.

My wife was talking to me about women reporting irregularities in their period after the shot and now she’s reporting the same ( it’s super early when it’s normally with in a few days). Is there any real data on this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Anecdotally yes, I've heard some stories about menstrual irregularities directly from several people. There's also a HUGE amount of bullshit on social media about people "shedding" the vaccine and causing menstrual irregularities in women who haven't been vaccinated and stuff like that so double check every source, certain people are being real weird around this subject.

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. I think that’s where she first saw it so I was a bit skeptical of it.

It could be any number of things that caused it but she can be a bit of a self admitted hypochondriac so I’m trying to “help” lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Talked to a family member this week who was charged ninety‐six dollars for getting flu shot at a drive‐in clinic because they didn’t “consult with their primary care provide” first.

Very normal country.

That doesn’t make any sense.