Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Vaccinated people will stop testing, so the positivity rate will not be reflective of the virus circulation. This will make it harder to track the spread of variants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Blitter posted:

I dunno, do you think it might be wise to not make assumptions given that the mutations present in the 1.617 variants have also produced reduced efficacy in other studies, particularly against less performant vaccines like AZ?

Does that look like doomposting from the CDC? Are they well known for being over cautious?

Obvious this needs further study, but some preliminary results suggesting 1.617.1 is 7-fold more resistant to neutralization by sera suggests a cautious approach as well

The advantage in transmissibility is concerning, just by itself frankly.

But sure, it's just doomposting, whatever.

I think we would be friends in real life.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Blitter posted:

From the article, yes that was fully vaccinated for 0.03%. This includes the effect of any NPI used during the study duration too of course.

The infectivity numbers are interesting compared to this pre-print

I'm reading this as J&J and AZ vaccinated people won't get infected, but if they do they can still pass it pretty well. Won't that cause selective pressure for the vaccine to mutate?

Also Moderna and Pfizer numbers might be inflated due to lack of blinding and randomization.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Okay 30, yeah, sure. Worry about 30.

Did nobody at all buy a treadmill? I bought a treadmill :smith: The little peddle bikes that go under your desk are only like $25. Now I'm sad for people. Frick.

I bought an adjustable weight kettlebell the week covid started here (they sold out the next week lol) and actually got way more toned than any of the gym stuff I had been doing. Never going back to the gym.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a fun project: take the CDC's national forecast from July 19 which was projecting that the weekly cases by August 14 would be somewhere between 92,000 (best case scenario) and 803,000 (worst case scenario):

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1418311164472315907

..... and then overlay that with the updated reported averaged case number from July 20 to 27:

Oops, we already blew straight through that 95% prediction interval, their worst case scenario projection was too optimistic.

How are you reconciling the two different y-axis scales?

Edit: NVM, I see that the leftmost dot starts at 100k in the link.

compshateme85 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 28, 2021

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

I think something that the anti-vaxxer chuds completely forget to take into account is that the "2%" death rate is based on the American healthcare system functioning. The death rate when no health care is available was estimated at like 5-8%?

With the projections from the CDC that Snowglobe of Doom posted, I think very soon we're going to see some hospital systems just break, and then we'll find out what the actual death rate is (in those areas).

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

China has proved this nicely in the last 20 years or so.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Platystemon posted:

What is the point of the FDA if they can’t look at the data and make a formal determination on the safety and efficacy of the vaccine at this point?

I have been told that the president of the United States cannot even request a timeline for the decision on pædiatric emergency use authorization, because that would involve ~corrosive political pressure~, but come on. Is there any genuine doubt, in the mind of any person, that the FDA will approve this vaccine? I’m sorry, but you can’t watch a hundred and sixty million citizens receive it, turn around, and say “lol whoops. turns out it was swamp water”.

I am under no illusion that the vast majority of the people currently whining about “unapproved experimental vaccine!” won’t immediately move to the next redoubt, but that does not absolve the process of being broken.

Kid physiology is really different from adult physiology. It deserves it's own testing. And given that kids can't provide informed consent the way adults can, testing on children only starts when a) it's a kids-only disease (like Batten's Disease) or b) it's been proven safe in adults so they're pretty sure it's not going to do too much damage in a kid.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

When do Florida's numbers come in? Is it today?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

A friend just posted on FB that his brother is having a heart attack and he can't get the medical care he needs because the hospital is overflowing with covid patients. This is in Phoenix. I hadn't heard anything about hospitals hitting capacity, can anyone there shed some light?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

How are u posted:

Covid is not going to give anyone Parkinson's or anything like that, jesus christ. Temporary loss of taste and or smell is not a big deal.

Oh boy

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Maybe this photo circulating around FL and TX would help

VERY NMS!!!!!

compshateme85 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 8, 2021

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Stats don't work on the chuds, shocking images have a better chance.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Gaaahhh
Also what percentage of people on ECMO actually make it?

It's a last resort and it's low.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's actually basically a coin flip. Survival rate estimates range from the low 60s to somewhere in the 40s for COVID-19 patients depending on the study.

But either way something that is definitely worth trying, especially for younger patients. It's a last resort for sure but it's not something like a 95% mortality rate, patients have a pretty decent chance of surviving.

My anesthesiologist friend (whose IG story I took that screenshot from) said it was in the teens but she's just as susceptible to anecdotal evidence and confirmation bias as the rest of us. If the studies say 40-60% then that's good news. In a way.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

I worked in pharma for a half-decade and, while everyone at the top is absolutely in it for disgusting, profit-motivated reasons; most everyone else, from discovery to production, generally want to help people in some capacity. The COVID vaccine is not some government control + profit motive wet dream come to life, nobody even gave a gently caress about mRNA vaccines when they were looking into them as an HIV vax and the Federal government is just now beginning to take baby steps like "making people who took anthrax vaccines get vaxxed for COVID," and, "acknowledging that vaccine mandates are a real thing."

As such, when I read poo poo like that, I'm going to treat it as an unfounded conspiracy theory that drat near convinced someone to not get vaxxed, but the social pressure was too great.

I was a teenager/early 20's during Bush 2 as well and have no love or trust for the Federal Government, but seriously.

Anecdotally, I wonder if the reason that the AZ vaccine basically got shunted to the side for US approval is that AZ isn't making money off it here?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

CMOs in the US are absolutely making money and generating work filling AZ

AZ itself isn't making money though.

Also, the CMO in Baltimore stopped producing AZ vaccine in April.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It wasn't really needed. By the time they got their poo poo together after their whole clinical trial fuckup (gee who would have thought testing your COVID vaccine on the elderly would be important?) the US was so flooded in mRNA shots it was kind of pointless.

Like it's a good vaccine at all but when you have a basically unlimited supply of Pfizer and Moderna what niche does a vaccine that had, while good protection, still somewhat inferior protection, and that risk of blood clots (while small) the mRNA shots didn't.

Like a big thing with EUAs is the whole benefit to risk calculation and even though the blood clot risk was small, what sense is there to risk it just to get slightly lower protection when you can just use Pfizer/Moderna instead? J&J at least had a niche in being a single shot.

AZ wasn't making any money off it in Canada either but as soon as mRNA shot supplies picked up it was phased out with second AZ shots replaced by mRNA. But back in the winter when we had nothing? Yeah the math was a bit different then and it was being administered.

Actually studies have shown than AZ followed by Pfizer has a higher T cell than double Pfizer. Double Pfizer has highest antibody response.

Anyway, I'm not disputing any of this, but you would think if AZ stood to make any money off it in the US they would have pushed for EUA regardless.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

This is fun

Deathsantis in practice

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Songbearer posted:

WHAT DOES THE BRACKET MEAN.

DID A 5G NANOBOT NOT TERMINATE ITS CODE CORRECTLY?

VERY CONCERNING... EYES OPEN PATRIOTS!!!

Spell at least 3 of those words wrong and put in a wrong apostrophe, then it will feel familiar.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone was wondering how patients would be prioritized during triage here's a list of 'tie breaker' criteria from Idaho
https://twitter.com/audreydutton/status/1438512522106007553

Vaccination status if eligible should be on that list

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd like to see the rest of that scene, but instead of the Vulvalini lady, it's a rusty rear end Chilli's sign.

I think it's the Vuvalini, but agree about the Chili's sign.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Little from column A, little from column B. The pathway COVID uses to infect cells causes the immune overreaction that is thought to be one of the causes of long COVID, but there is mounting evidence COVID is pulling an HIV and hiding in different organs long after your infection period is over.

In the meantime though, every time you get it you're aging your immune system/organs, making it easier to get even sicker the next time you're infected. They're starting to find heart damage in many asymptomatic cases (small sample but: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916?referringSource=articleShare

Try to avoid catching it until there are some good therapeutics on the market. There's no getting used to COVID.

Can you link articles for covid hiding in organs and aging immune system/organs? How does aging immune system make it easier to get infected again? (Not arguing, would like to read)

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Is pregnancy considered a risk category? Cause otherwise I'm not eligible for a booster :(

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://twitter.com/GillianMcKeith/status/1454444208027324416?s=20

Yeah yeah yeah, my question is : How did Kaiser Permanente hire nurses who don’t believe in medicine ?

Edit: I get schools can’t be expected to hire teachers who believe in science, and police wouldn’t give a gently caress about vaccines, I get that. How does a hospital hire a nurse that doesn’t wear a mask and understand vaccines and pretends to care for others

The "going down" as the last line in that video is just perfect.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

10 weeks pregnant and boosted with Moderna yesterday! Feeling fine today, which is not what I was expecting as my second shot destroyed me the next day.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Elea posted:

Congrats. Did your doctor encourage it if you consulted them? I've heard a lot of stories of doctors giving conflicting advice to pregnant women on the vaccine.

My own doctor said boosters were for very specific people one day before the state said they were for everyone.

When I asked him two weeks ago if he recommended that I get a booster he cut me off before I could finish the sentence with "YES!". It probably helps that I'm in a highly vaccinated, very liberal area.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oklahoma hosed around and found out

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Has anyone seen any studies regarding pregnancy outcomes with a breakthrough covid infection in fully vaccinated women?

Covid is super bad for the fetus and the mother in multiple ways, but this study was done on presumably an unvaccinated population, given the publication date.

Obviously I am doing everything I can to not catch covid (11 weeks pregnant, triple vaxxed Moderna), but my partner is not nearly as careful and is frustrated with all the restrictions for socializing I have in place because he thinks that fully vaccinated = good enough. Luckily we have two apartments so when he goes over to friends' houses I just stay in the other apartment (same building) until he takes a test a few days later. I don't know how sustainable this is though, and I need to get him on the same page for when the baby is born. Ironically he's totally fine with not eating in restaurants and gets how that is risky, but for some reason friends houses = covid free spaces. He also doesn't want to ask his friends to take tests before he unmasks with them because that would be a mildly uncomfortable thing to ask.

Just typing that out I realize that I'm also getting frustrated.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Just how I look at it.
Even if you have a breakthrough infection, generally the virus doesn't do that much any more. As far as I've read the only mom and unborn fetuses who are at risk are those with serious infections. It stands to reason that it wouldn't be that dangerous if you're triple protected.

You can get a serious breakthrough infection though. Where are you getting the information that it doesn't do much?

Also I have read that even asymptomatic infections in pregnant women can clause clots in the placenta, but I need to dig that back up.

Beachcomber posted:

That is very upsetting and must be very hard for you.

I don't know why you have two apartments, but if I were you I'd just completely move into the other one for the duration of the pregnancy, but I'm also a bit of an overreactor

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback that I'm not acting crazy with these concerns. He is honest with me about what he's planning on doing at least, so I go to the other apartment (which is fully furnished and has most of my stuff) whenever I want to.

It would be so great to have data on the effects of a breakthrough infection for fully vaccinated pregnant people, but I guess it's a little soon to expect it.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Strep Vote posted:

You are so vulnerable when pregnant that I would seriously consider severing from a partner that doesn't take it seriously.

He's a great partner otherwise, the main problem is that he thinks he's taking it seriously (and compared to most people he is). I think I need to show him how different my body is in all ways now that I'm pregnant, which includes immune response, receptor sensitivity, etc, and then covid outcomes for pregnant people. It would have more of an impact though if I could show that, even vaccinated, I'm still far more at risk than he is. I've also been far more cautious through all of covid than he has, so he does think I have a level of paranoia that is over the top.

Darth TNT posted:

I'd need to dig up sources. I was certain I either read in the local news or saw it on some local talk show that (barring edge cases like imuno compromised and people above 50) generally the vaccin was good at keeping a serious infection from happening. Not that you're immune, but that you would generally at least not end up in the hospital any more.

I have read the article about the asymptomatic infections as well. However, the versions I read referred mostly to the first wave of Corona and pointed to unvaccinated women. Link in Dutch I'm afraid, but it links through to some UK, Spanish and US research near halfway of the text

That said, please please don't take what I said as me telling you to take it easy on any and all basic counter measures such as social distancing. I'm just trying to not make you more stressed out while still keeping to the rules. I would never take any risk with an unborn child. I remember how paranoid me and my wife were around our own and it wasn't even COVID period back then.

Take the precautions that allow you to feel the most relaxed.

it is good at keeping serious infection from happening, but it does still happen. I think you could make an argument that pregnancy leads to a level of immunocompromise, but that would be a harder line to draw. I'll take all the data I can get. Definitely not going to relax my isolating, masking, or anything.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Given how different Delta and Omicron are, I wonder if you could catch both at the same time?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Pinecone Sample posted:

They are very similar. That is also generally unlikely of the way your immune system responds.

It could theoretically happen in one extremely immunocompromised person who is exposed to each at almost the same exact time, and a long incubation in that person is where our deltomicron mutation would arise!

A variant as or more deadly than delta, with omicron's infectiousness. Sweet.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

At this point if you don't get it you're either protected by God or you live alone on a mountain, trap your own food and haven't seen another human for 20 years

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery y'all!

Or we live alone, don't see people indoors, and don't take our N95 masks off if we absolutely have to go into places.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

If we didn't have a 4 year old, my wife's and my anxiety would be tremendously less, but the reality is I don't see how much we can do about the risks. We already don't go anywhere we don't have to, always wear masks, etc.

But keeping our daughter out of preschool for some indeterminate amount of time just in case wreaks havoc on our whole family.

Parents are really forced to engage with this in a way adults who live by themselves and can work from home aren't. It sucks a lot.

Totally agree that people with families and those who don't live alone are in a much tougher situation.

I'm pregnant but not due until late June, so I'm hoping by then a few things will have happened:

1) Vaccinations authorized for 6 months old and up
2) More comprehensive, longer lasting vaccines
3) Less transmission due to everyone having gotten omicron

Of course at the rate we're going it's entirely possible that we will have devolved into a more stereotypical apocalypse precipitated by covid, but also maybe not.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

I think the thing I'm most irritated about at this point is that the unvaccinated-by-choice are still taking up medical resources in hospitals. I know that won't change, but if I was a medical professional, I would have quit by now because gently caress treating those people.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Cretin90 posted:

What are you all doing to get exercise right now? My apartment gym is packed. My local gym is packed. By the time I get off work it’s dark and 18 degrees F outside. I’m in a 3rd story apartment so treadmill is out of the question. Im considering picking up an exercise bike and occasionally dragging my fiancé out for pitch dark 20 degree runs. Gym could be ok with n95 but it’s just full of heavy breathing New Years resolution people and makes my skin crawl.

E: Mostly asking about cardiovascular but the weights-oriented responses are helpful too.

Adjustable weight kettlebell, like this one. There are a bunch of workouts on Youtube and honestly I got way stronger and more toned using this than I ever did at the gym. Not great for bulking up though.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Does anyone have experience with Cue tests?

My BIL and my sister are driving cross-country in an RV (so haven't been in contact with anyone since Monday) to come see my parents (elderly, dad has cancer and was just on immunotherapy). He got off a commercial flight (N95 the whole way) on Monday at 1pm. He has a Cue box and tests from his work and took one today, which was negative. He also took a rapid test (Biovax) which was positive. My sister was negative on a rapid test.

They are going to retest Friday, but my thoughts are that the Cue test is PCR equivalent, so if the Cue test Friday is also negative then the rapid test was probably a false positive? Especially given the timeframe. No symptoms for either of them.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Platystemon posted:

False positives are quite unlikely. The published rate is two percent. They may truly be below that.

There’s also this anecdote:

Yes, Cue is a nucleic acid amplification test, but I would not treat it as a false PCR.

Well it's only going to catch cases that have had enough time to incubate to pop positive, so testing a large group of people that haven't been isolating 5 days prior to the test (presumably) would be useless.

I guess my question is is the Cue test more likely to be right or the rapid test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oracle posted:

False negatives are a lot more likely than false positives. Get a PCR test.

They are getting PCR tests tomorrow, so I will report back.