Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Do kids get the side effects of the vaccine like adults do? We've already promised ice cream, just wanna know what they're in for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

We should be careful to distinguish vaccination rates among the eligible vs the population at general. Ages 12-15 just recently opened up, and kids still aren't eligible, while the 30-40% numbers nationwide are for the whole population. Whole population numbers are useful for talking about herd immunity and progress in general, but it's not like 60-70% of the pop has simply said "no thanks". I'm in northeast US, where demand has been robust, and the vaccine is available for walk-in appointments at Walmart. I think supply is winning. Many parts of the country do have low vax rates, but other parts are doing well in the rollout.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

ben shapino posted:

Covid is way funnier lmao what's wrong with you

Remember the dancing nurses teaching us how to properly wash hands to fend off the coming pandemic? PYF covid memory.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Good numbers, did the article give numbers on the number of people who weren't vaccinated that caught covid in LA county after May 7th? When looking at a number of 0.03%, I want to know what to compare it to.

(Or perhaps they are measuring anyone who was fully vaxxed before May 7th who caught covid after being fully vaxxed, and we'd need to compare.) Because this would give us an idea of the real world efficacy of the vaccine + efficacy of differences in behavior there are in the vaccinated vs non-vaccinated populations.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I don’t just make these things up.
press, study

I wondered about these numbers, since the 79% number is so different than the 90+% efficacy for fully vaccinated folks. Is it a difference of symptomatic vs asymptomatic. Reading the second link, this includes data for partially vaccinated individuals:

quote:

Among vaccinated employees, 51 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 during follow-up (41 before and 10 after the second dose); 29 (56.9%) were diagnosed through asymptomatic screening.

They break down the IRR later based on time since dose:

quote:

e IRR for positive results via asymptomatic screening from 12 days after the first vaccine dose until the second dose (median interval between doses, 21 days [range, 11-49 days]) was 0.58 (95% CI, 0.30-1.13), within 7 days after the second dose, 0.35 (95% CI, 0.11-1.09), and 7 days or more after the second dose, was 0.10 (95% CI, 0.04-0.22).

I just noted that this was summarized in the press release version:

quote:

Protection was even greater for employees who completed two doses. A week or more after receiving the second dose, vaccinated employees were 96% less likely than unvaccinated workers to become infected with SARS-CoV-2. When researchers looked just at asymptomatic infections, vaccination reduced the risk by 90%.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

12-15 year olds have been approved for a while now, right? I've barely noticed any sort of uptick in vaccine percentages since that was announced, like 7% increase here and that's probably including vaccine mandates. Still only 51% fully vaccinated in my county.

I looked at NYT's "at least one dose" numbers for the 12-17 category. They report 11 states with that age group at 70% or more vaccinated. Only 7 states reported having 40% or less of that age group vaccinated. Large disparities, probably not a huge number in your area, but for all the NYT articles on "parents aren't sure if they'll get their kids the shots", it seems like a pretty large uptake.