Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

killer crane posted:

Commonly I've heard "I can't miss 3 days of work/taking care of my kids dealing with side effects."

There's plenty who say they'll get around to it eventually, but I wonder how many of those are waiting for a time they feel able to be off their feet with side effects.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this too.

Like not all states have the COVID sick time stuff (they should).

The federal government is even paying (in the form of refundable tax credits) for small/midsize businesses to give people COVID sick time, including time off to get vaccinated and/or deal with the side effects. It's sad that, despite this, some businesses still won't get with the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Imagine all the phishing opportunities this is going to lead to. You won the vaccine lottery, and now all you need to do is "reconfirm your personal information" and cover the costs of shipping your prize!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hey remember that pharmacist in Wisconsin who deliberately left 500 doses of vaccine out of the freezer overnight so they'd spoil last December?

https://twitter.com/CBS58/status/1402295177117589506

Direct article link:
https://cbs58.com/news/former-wisconsin-pharmacist-who-tampered-with-covid-vaccines-sentenced-to-3-years-in-federal-prison

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

I went grocery shopping on Friday and I'd say it was 60% masked, 40% unmasked. Most of the employees were, but definitely saw a few who weren't. This wouldn't bother me as much except you know 100% that at least a healthy portion of unmasked people are also unvaccinated.

I'd be more worried about the unhealthy portion. :dadjoke:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

The shingles vax is an every 3 years one. When I had shingles I was like "I would pay any amount of money to make this go away" but afterward it went away $300 every 3 years seemed like too much. Can't wait for future me to curse my penny pinching ways when I inevitably get it again.

Spinz posted:

Oh holy crap really??
I apologize for giving the wrong info here and will go edit my post!!!

There are multiple shingles vaccines.

quote:

Shingrix provides strong protection against shingles and PHN. In adults 50 years and older who have healthy immune systems, Shingrix is more than 90% effective at preventing shingles and PHN. Immunity stays strong for at least the first 7 years after vaccination. In adults with weakened immune systems, studies show that Shingrix is 68%-91% effective in preventing shingles, depending on the condition that affects the immune system.

[...]

Adults 50 years and older should get two doses of Shingrix, separated by 2 to 6 months. Adults 19 years and older who have or will have weakened immune systems because of disease or therapy should also get two doses of Shingrix. If needed, people with weakened immune systems can get the second dose 1 to 2 months after the first.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fuschia tude posted:

I don't see the problem; if you pop positive on day 5, your symptoms are irrelevant; keep isolating until day 10.

At the very least, the wording is missing a qualifier (whichever's shorter vs. whichever's longer).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My insurance told me I'd have to pay up front for the COVID-19 vaccine and then file a claim to get reimbursed, but CVS didn't charge me so I guess they were able to figure everything out on the backend (for my insurance, anyway). There were only two people waiting before I got there, and after I was done they had a store announcement that the new vaccines were available and they were accepting walk-ins.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

KariOhki posted:

I got the newest Moderna jab and the flu shot in the same arm about a week ago and other than some pain that made me have to adjust my sleeping position for a few days, I didn't get any side effects. This was COVID shot number 5 overall, all Moderna, never got side effects beyond the first one where I was a bit more tired than usual that afternoon.

Also got a tetanus booster in my other arm and that one's been more itchy and the shot site has stayed a bit tougher feeling longer. Should've asked for Tdap while I was there too and really been powered up...

The T in Tdap is for Tetanus. Are you sure you didn't get Tdap?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just checked and it looks like even Walmart carries the Costco brand of Zyrtec now so you can get it cheap there too:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kirkland-Signature-Aller-Tec-365-Tablets/111240507

Under $20 for 365 pills, compared to $20 for 14 pills from Walgreens or whatever.

That's not Walmart; that's a third-party seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The ars article went on to say:

quote:

His antibodies' ability to neutralize SARS-CoV-2 appeared to be between fivefold and 11-fold higher than in controls, but the researchers noted that this was due to a higher quantity of antibodies, not more potent antibodies. Specific subsets of immune cells, namely B-cells trained against SARS-CoV-2's spike protein and T effector cells, were elevated compared with controls. But they seemed to function normally. As another type of control, the researchers also looked at the man's immune response to an unrelated virus, Epstein-Barr, which causes mononucleosis. They found that the unbridled immunizations did not negatively impact responses to that virus, suggesting there were no ill effects on immune responses generally.

Last, multiple types of testing indicated that the man has never been infected with SARS-CoV-2. But the researchers were cautious to note that this may be due to other precautions the man took beyond getting 217 vaccines.

"In summary, our case report shows that SARS-CoV-2 hypervaccination did not lead to adverse events and increased the quantity of spike-specific antibodies and T cells without having a strong positive or negative effect on the intrinsic quality of adaptive immune responses," the authors concluded. "Importantly," they added, "we do not endorse hypervaccination as a strategy to enhance adaptive immunity."