Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just got my second Moderna as of like an hour and a half ago.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll be able to do something with a woman I met in March... Of last year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

I'm worried when we get back into the office as I'm pretty sure I've developed agoraphobia over the past year.

So that'll be real fun.

They remodeled our office and placed us 6 computer janitors in a space that used to have about 25 project managers, walled us off with just a kind of service counter window for people to talk to us, then our boss had signs printed that say, as professionally as possible, "Did you call in a ticket? If not, gently caress off. Did we TELL you to come to us? No? Then gently caress off."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

low key sex master posted:

Has anyone experienced double dip side effects? I got my second dose last Wednesday, Thursday was a nightmare but I've felt tip top since then. But today I've felt like I've had a low grade fever, a sore throat and my body feels fatigued. I thought it was allergies but a pill didn't seem to help me

Maybe I have something else but wanted to know if anyone else experienced this too

LOL, I got my second Moderna at 10:30 AM Wednesday. I spent today achey and tired, and just a few minutes ago started feeling warm. Turns out NOW I have a 100F/38C fever.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Around 11 PM, my fever was at around 101 F. Took some Aleve PM and went to bed. I have some vague impressions and recollections of thrashing around drenched in sweat. Slept in until 9:3o - That might have been the Aleve PM's doing. Temperature is back to normal now, and I feel about 75% human which is within the normal range for me.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gologle posted:

I hate that I relate to this.

I've always called it "Resting Spree Shooter Face"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I took an entire week off for my second shot. :smug:

... Ok I already had scheduled the week off anyway because I needed some time off and the shot timing was a coincidence, but still.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

They make 90 grand a year spending half their shift on smoke breaks or watching YouTube and leaves my husband alone at the counter all day and email him for help multiple times a day when he's on vacation with me but okay

There's no such thing as "taking too much PTO" and anyone who thinks there is is a corporatist shill.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm watching a show about Jonas Salk developing the polio vaccine and LMAO, if the internet and 21st Century chuddism existed in the 50s we'd still have kids in iron lungs and just be like "Welp, whatcha gonna do?"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Most of my team for work is pretty much vaxxed, with one person who just got her first shot.

I hopped onto a meeting and she was in the middle of talking about how she and her family wasn't planning on getting shots but they were at her grandmother's funeral on Saturday and found out she kicked because of covid and found shots on the way home. :negative:

Then she was talking about how hard she got hit by the side effects Sunday and Monday " but I still had errands to run and people to visit" and I was glad I was muted because JESUS.

She's already had covid in March and got wrecked, and she's a low key chud with a hyper chud husband...

I'm so glad that my two weeks after the 2nd poo poo is next Wednesday and no one comes in on the Mondays and Fridays I have to be in the office...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

yook posted:

Some big portion of people who don't want to get vaxxed now are the ones who never changed their lives to begin with, so they've been hugging their parents the entire time.

Those people don't have a carrot motivating them to get vaccinated now because those parents are now dead.

One dude I know has continued on with his life as normal and somehow got through multiple family members and friends getting and co-workers and acquaintances getting covid without getting infected. He just... Mr. Magoos his way around viral plumes or something.

I'm starting to think he might be too stupid to actually be infected. The virus just can't recognize him as a suitable breeding ground.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

The money is coming from their unused federal covid money too, which means there are more than 5 million dollars just kind of floating around for covid stuff that they can't find a "better" use for. lmao.

They just realized they needed a quicker way to funnel it through shady connections. Just LOL if you think 5 completely random citizens will get that money.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

it depends on if it's a communal rear end you're eating or a private one

That's a terrible way to refer to your mother

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lifting restrictions is either a good idea or a very bad one, but gently caress it, I'll be on the side of "This is good, but lol if you think I'll take my mask off around randos hacking and wheezing and sneezing and mining for nose gold just yet."

Depending on the how the good numbers and bad numbers trend, I'll reevaluate my position next month. Actually, I won't because that's when my office is supposed to start letting more plague rats, I mean valued colleagues into the office.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

So I just got my second jab, but I lost my bandage after taking off my shirt to check if the injection area was red or swelling. I am not bleeding or anything (It was about a half hour after I got the shot), and this is dumb, but I want to make sure I didn't screw myself and now I got Turbo COVID or something.

Anyway, feeling okay so far.

I'm sorry to inform you, but since you took the band aid off so soon, all the vax vapors have leaked out of your arm.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

I know a few people who haven't gotten the vaccine who are definitely not anti-vaxxers who are just lazy fools who complain about making appointments or driving downtown just to get a shot and make it sound like they'll get around to it. And yes, those people who it just goes "to the top of the pile" for are among people I'm talking about here. You make it really easy for people, like to the point that they can integrate it into a thing they are already doing on a whim and you'd definitely claw out a few more percentage points. Getting groceries and you see a no appointment, no cost vaccination site while you've been dragging your feet, hell you might get it then. Get offered by your work to get a shot on a day they have people coming to come do it, sure why not.

The bar was a pretty extreme example and more of a fun bit to throw out there, but hey, vaccinating people at a bar is probably an effective use since they are clearly already participating in a really high risk stuff. That one probably has more downsides though, so it's more of a silly example.

I know that for neither my vaccine nor my wife's vaccine was insurance even asked for so that doesn't really factor into it. From what I can tell, there should be no patient costs anywhere in the US and in the case of uninsured they are supposed to be billed to the government. Though these kind of setups would likely be more like the mass vaccination clinics, run by the state or county rather than a private hospital system or doctor's practice. People worried about this would also probably be easier to reach this way too, since you could have signage indicating no cost and no need for insurance.

The whole point is not every unvaccinated person is an anti vaxxer. Some just won't go out of their way to get a shot, for a variety of reasons ranging from stupid to tragic. The easier it is, the better. The more opportunity, the better. Every few percentage points you can claw out, the more likely we are to actually reach herd immunity.

Walgreens at least has been emphasizing that the shots are free in commercials.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Meanwhile, in professional sports (one of the last places where everyone is still being regularly tested)
https://twitter.com/DukeStJournal/status/1392951287847792644

Is there a lower bound or threshold viral load for these tests? I remember from the polio vaccine docu I watched, the mentioned ba component of herd immunity being that vaccinated individuals might get the virus, and although their immune system fights it off fine because if the vaccine, they still she's a miniscule amount of virus that unvaccinated people get, and are able to fight off. I have no idea if that was just an outdated model (it was discussed along with the dude who was working on a live virus polio vaxx, so it might be), but if that's still the case with the Covid vaccines, is it possible some of these breakthrough cases are just everything actually working fine?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I learned that "too hot and too cold nerves are different" thing the hard way a couple weeks ago after eating some Doritos Roulette chips, getting a few good and hot ones, thinking the sensation had passed, and then having a piece of mint gum.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My sister and brother-in-law are planning to come down for a visit in a few weeks for the first time since Christmas 2019. They're vaxed and as anti-social as I am, I'm "fully vaccinated" on Wednesday. They might want to visit my vaxed mom or my vaxed grandma. Or they might want to make a masked trip to the international grocery store we have. Or they might just want to sit around while we share memes and watch Air Disasters before my brother-in-law takes my dog for a long walk. Should be a good time.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Huh, apparently Dewine's lottery idea is working, I guess.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-sees-boost-shots-after-it-announces-1-million-vaccination-n1267648

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

boar guy posted:

does that make up for what a stupid open everything up rear end in a top hat he was last year? was pretty sweet watching the bloom of counties in ohio turning red from the south up as that jackass hosed everything up

Lol where did I say that it did?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

These articles.... Seem good?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/covid-cases-after-vaccination-are-still-very-rare-variants-arent-changing-that/

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/moderna-says-vaccine-highly-effective-in-kids-12-17-seeks-fda-authorization/

This one... Not so much:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/efficacy-of-chinese-vaccines-is-not-high-officials-back-3rd-dose/

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

freebooter posted:

As unpleasant as it is to have it intrude on your home life, the key is to download Teams to a phone app (or log in on the phone browser) so you can respond to messages and appear active even when you're on the couch.

The trick I found was to keep myself set to Appear Away even while in the office.

The downsides to this plan are that it requires laying the groundwork before the pandemic, and having a boss who is not a micromanager and who freely admits to playing videogames while on meeting calls.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

poverty goat posted:

My weird side effect is I've been cured of my seasonal allergies. It's really weird, because I've had annoying seasonal allergies all year round, indoor and outdoor, every other year of my life. The spring allergies had even started to spin up when I got my shots in April but I've since stopped taking any meds and I just wake up in the morning every morning able to breathe easily through my nose. Which suggests that I'm not reacting to dog hair anymore either, come to think of it.

My brother-in-law's allergies disappeared for a day or two after his second shot, but I haven't really noticed any change in mine :(

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I got pegged when I got vaxxed?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

Which truck stops have the best Covid protocols because I sure could use a slightly sloppy iykwim

I thought Dairy Queen was the best place for you know what

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gee I wonder what might have happened in the past year that might impact someone's ability or desire to buy a goddamned treadmill

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://twitter.com/Sam4TR/status/1402662191992610824

I won't do it until I get more facts! Also I don't want to listen to the experts they're bringing in, why would I do that???? Also why would I take the cure if I don't even have covid??? ????? ???????????????

How many concussions has he had?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Was set to go to the art museum yesterday, but the dog decided his rear end needed to be blood and poo poo firehose Saturday night, and so ended my first attempt at a non-work, non-family social interaction since this all began... :negative:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

7of7 posted:

I've seen a few articles about how everyone (in the writer's friend group) is suddenly getting colds again.

Completely anecdotal, but I got laid off on Halloween 2017, spent 2018 almost isolated as much as 2020 (went to the store and interviews), and started a new job January 2919. After a few weeks of being in an office again, I got laid out by a massive cold

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My office re-opens Monday. They just sent out the "If you're vaccinated, you don't haaaaaaave to wear a mask - but we're on the HoNoR sYsTeM for enforcing it. *wink wink*" email.

We have to spend next week walking throughout the building helping people plug their computers into docking stations and otherwise getting into close contact with them.

Can't wait for 40 hours of explaining "Yes, I'm vaccinated. Yes, I KNOW I don't have to wear a mask. No, I DON'T know if you're vaccinated or what the gently caress is up with that cough of yours. No, I can't fix your desk, that's Facilities, not IT."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Tbh there isn’t much else they can do. They can’t require you to disclose your vaccination status.

Companies hands are pretty tied in this situation.

So then it's either universal masking or, hear me out hear, not reopening, or restricting it to specific teams. Instead they're brining in carnival bullshit and saying it's voluntary but encouraged to come in. ( not us though. It's mandatory)

The entire company has been 97% remote since last March and we've outperformed whatever BS financial metrics are hip with do-nothing executives.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Can't wait to inherit the ruins of the Old World with my Moderna brethren.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

What if it gets displaced by a virus that causes happiness as one of its symptoms?

It's like a fun version of 28 days later!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itF9asr7bsE&t=97s

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Giving yourself heat exhaustion to yell "SEE DAD I DO HAVE COVID" is a new one.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a noodle. Ligmini they call it in Italia

Your's might be mini, but mine sure ain't.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

Up to 3 extended family members now that have texted me long diatribes on how my kid will be raised in a terrible home with idiot parents because we are requesting proof of tdap and covid vaccines to see the baby who is due in September.

Is "Kill yourself, not my kid" too harsh?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Gum disease is increasingly linked to a whole host of co-morbidities, so it's not just for the sake of fresh breath. Go get em done.

Most dentists are pretty cautious anyway, given the whole "our job creates a ton of aerosols". They're all masked to hell and back, and usually only letting in one patient at a time.

I had to go in May last year because the retainer on on my bottom teeth broke so had to do three visits over a few months - one to attempt a repair, one to remove it and take an impression, and one to fit a new removeable aligner. After that I figured gently caress it, no sense being scared of a dentist and hygienist who are wearing N95s and face shields and only letting one patient out of the exam rooms at a time.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lolie posted:

People hunt and eat deer. Remember that our current best guess on how transmission in humans started is that it jumped from bats to humans through an intermediate species used for food.

Maybe but this is America and not China.

Patient Zero of the Omicron variant will definitely get it from loving a dead deer.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This just reminded me. Our office is going back to mandatory masks away from your desk ( previously it was "No masks for vaccinated an liars" and there's still a max of maybe 100 people a day in a building outfitted for 1200). My chud co-worker started whining about having to mask up again, in the middle of the discussion declared "You can't be afraid to live your life!"

I yelled at him until he walked off pouting. I'm PRETTY sure he went to complain to our boss who wasn't around or even HR, but gently caress it. Would berate again.

On that note, vandalism, go lick some loving toilet seats and doorknobs if you love the plague so much you kitchen-sponge-for-a-brain booger blaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think you have to finish the game an unlock the Omega Skin first before covid+ is selectable in the main menu.