Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

The autism read makes sense to me, and the dizziness on stairs made me think dysautonomia (well, I have both, so I tend to see them everywhere...)

I think I like Shizune and Misha both better when they're apart from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I think the key difference between this situation and yours (and, cliche as it is, I'm truly sorry that happened, it's hosed beyond belief) is that, as far as we know, both Hisao and Shizune are neurotypical. NT relationships tend to rely more on gently (or not so gently, in Shizune's case) pushing boundaries and readjusting according to the reaction it gets, and there's a lot more forgiveness around what, to an average* autistic person, would be a serious offense (the Box Thing, in this case.)

*I say average because Misha pretty clearly reads as on the spectrum to me, but of the "pushy extrovert" type, so she and Shizune get along fine. Sometimes it's like that...because it's a spectrum!

Neuroatypical people (and disabled people in general) are also at increased risk of being taking advantage of. In my personal experience, I've had multiple people push for closer physical contact than I was comfortable with, because I couldn't verbalise my discomfort. Compared to anecdotes from other autistic friends, my experiences have been extremely mild. The rates of sexual abuse against autistic people is something like three times higher than the general population. So...there's that.

If I sound like an alien trying to dissect human relationships, that's basically how I've learned to get by :v:

(OP, you have blanket permission to include anything I post in archives, attributed to "mycelia")

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Nidoking posted:

And frankly, saying "It's okay because he's probably not autistic and can just forgive her for whatever she does" is, no kidding, what people typically say when they're interviewed about someone who's committed sexual assault and why they didn't intervene. They saw what they now recognize as bad signs, but thought it was okay because the eventual victim eventually got over it and the relationship continued. If someone not being obviously overtly autistic is an acceptable reason to decide not to respect their boundaries... yeah, I'm just done with y'all's human society.

That's not what I was trying to say at all, but I'll accept that my wording was unclear. I was talking about this scene specifically, but I realised after rereading your post you meant Shizune's behaviour over the entire route. I don't think this is the most egregious thing she's done. My comment on Hisao's neurotypicality referred specifically to his inner monologue, which indicates he's briefly irritated by her actions and then moves on. I wasn't focused so much on what she did as I was on how Hisao reacted to her. I wasn't trying to say...uh, any of that.

I'm not really sure how to express what else I want to say, so I think I won't try, except to say that humans are complicated. I'm certainly not trying to convince you that Shizune's not a jerk, or that Hisao should put up with her. But he does, and in my experience, sometimes people do that, and it's not because of abuse or manipulation. If that's not acceptable to you, that's okay. I just wanted to try to explain the disconnect between your reading and other people's.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Seventeen is a lot of pills! You gotta get yourself one of those pill-organizers, Hisao. Makes it much more bearable. You can even ask your pharmacist to put it together for you! (Although, if you're under a certain age they might scold you...I'm not lazy, I just don't trust myself to remember every single pill every day...)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Falconier111 posted:

scolding people for trying to make sure they take their medications right is a bad look no matter the age ngl

People reaaaaaaally hate acknowledging that a young, "healthy" looking person can be sick. "But you don't need it!" yeah well I don't "need" a lot of things but they sure do make my life more tolerable. Wheelchairs are the worst, though. Yes, I'm physically capable of walking...if I stop every few minutes to rest, otherwise I get dizzy and in the worst case, faint. But you breathe a word of "hm maybe I could use a chair for long distances?" and suddenly everyone is just so concerned that you're giving up!

...All of which to say, yeah, it is in fact a very bad look, as evidenced by the fact I'm still sulking over it months afterwards.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Falconier111 posted:

And there you have it, the answer is ableism. And no, being a medical professional does not make you less prone to engage in this; in fact, there’s evidence it worsens that behavior, since they’re convinced they know better than everyone else.

God, I’m trying not to get worked up and/or project my own experiences here, getting punished for bad reasons by terrible doctors is so common and traumatizing I don’t know where to go with this.

:sympathy: Me neither...I also got worked up. It's probably a sore point for a lot of us.

Uh ... The yukata sprites are pretty!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Tulip posted:

The pink on pink Bush/Cheney 04 shirt is top tier. How'd she find that, incredible. Whoever came up with that can be proud.

Also lol at Shizune going "oh its just a normal house."

Just gonna reiterate that I really appreciate having all the text as text, even when it's in screenshots. It's just a lot easier to read and search.

I've started noticing the lack of it in other SSLPs, especially super wordy ones. I don't know if it'll ever take off as a standard around here, but it'd be cool if it did.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

What the actual gently caress did I just read :psyduck:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Only just noticed that both Shizune and Hideaki stop themselves laughing. I don't think the reason why has come up yet, so, that should be "fun".

*inb4 I missed it while skimming the Wall of Insults

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Nidoking posted:

One of my therapists leaned on autism when it came to discussing anything but autism. Whatever mental health issue I thought I had, the response was "Well, I'm pretty sure you're autistic, so that's why your brain works that way." But if it came to testing for autism, "we don't need to do that, there's really no point." There have been a few indicators of autism that I read about, thought myself fortunate that I'd never experienced them, and then experienced them. Another type of training I have to do for my job that seems pretty pointless is maintaining a wall full of certifications, all of which have way too many requirements for continuing education. I've never felt like I knew anything more when I finished a training course than when I started, and if I didn't have to do them to keep my job, I wouldn't. And I've been campaigning to have some of the requirements lifted, if only so I can have time to do my actual job. I see a professional autism diagnosis as the same thing. It won't give me anything I don't already know, so if there's nobody requiring that I hang the certificate on my wall, there's no point.

Oh, hey, that's what my psych told me! I feel a little better knowing it's not just me; I always feel awkward being like "well, my psych says I'm autistic but she told me not to bother with the test because I'm "too high functioning"" (read: I can fake eye contact and I have a lot of coping mechanisms) I did get the ADHD eval, at least. The main use of my not-a-diagnosis is really to understand my brain better in comparison to other people.

quick edit: also my sister and I learned the other day that she was apparently almost diagnosed with Aspergers* for delayed speech...but when they went to do the second part of the eval she had started talking. She could probably have used learning support, so I wonder if she would've done better in school if she'd been diagnosed.

*no longer a diagnosis, but this was Australia circa 2003, we didn't have the most cutting edge mental health care

mycelia fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 7, 2021

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I still feel like I'm faking it about my physical disability sometimes. The one I had to do two days of extremely unpleasant tests to get diagnosed with. Internalised ableism is a helluva drug :sigh:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

(CW for medical talk and discussion of pregnancy)

Good post. I'll chime in briefly as a disabled trans guy: because there's so little research into HRT for trans people, I've had a lot of pushback on the idea of starting T because no-one knows how it'll affect my body. (My psych and neurologist theorise it could actually improve my condition, but not to the point of actually prescribing it because I live on Plague Terf Hell Island.)

Also re agency, as I'm sure even cis women in this thread could probably tell you, trying to convince doctors that I am not interested in becoming pregnant, despite a) being a man and b) being married to a woman, is basically impossible. Because what if I change my mind?

Is this thread the one where we talked about the "privilege of risk"? I think about that a lot. Neither disabled nor trans people are given the privilege of risk; we are assumed not to be able to consent to things that our abled/cis counterparts can. I might change my mind, sure, but, like...so? People do inadvisable, permanent things to their bodies all the time. Why can't I?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't get that complaint, that was clearly a sultry "Confort me physically" choice given the context and Misha's behaviour in the scene (dodging a kiss and all). It's a romance LN, you're always looking for romance tropes. At least it goes badly rather than being a switch route flag, as it should.

That's definitely how it read to me, but maybe less so to people who dont read that many VNs. It also runs into the ol' VN (and "dialogue in games" in general) problem of "wow! all these options suck!"

Of course, making the "good" choice here (something along the lines of "okay you don't seem to be in a good place here, let's get you some water and you can tell me what's actually going on") wouldn't make for as much drama, so there's compromises, but I do think it's a particularly clumsily-handled choice, especially since it's the only one on the route.

I'm still ruminating on how I feel about this development and the route overall. Mostly I feel really bad for Misha.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

If this route was better written in general I'd call it a deliberate artistic choice reflecting Shizune's controlling/manipulative nature compared to the other girls, buuuuut...

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Falconier111 posted:

If I do decide to do Summer's Clover (which is looking increasingly likely), the end of Shizune's route marks the precise middle of the LP. If anything you posted ended up in the OP, now might be a good time to look over what I wrote about your contributions to make sure they line up with what you meant.

Looks good to me :shobon: I don't think I've communicated particularly well in this thread so far, but it looks like the point got across. (I don't know why that is, specifically, I swear I'm not usually this bad at posting...)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I went researching because I remembered hearing about kids being punished in school for using their left hand to write* and ended up in a deeeeep rabbit hole. Did you know that the biblical God uses their right hand to accept good people and their left hand to judge bad people? This thing goes all the way to the top! Although, "religious views on disability" is probably outside this thread's scope.

*I ended up remembering that it was a specific anecdote from a left-handed friend about her pre-school. Which she attended in 1999. So that's fun.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

"you need more practise" no poo poo Shizune he's been in the Art Club for like a week. Argh. This is why no-one wants to join the Student Council!

I'm already enjoying this route the most of the ones we've seen, which makes me very worried for where it's going to go from here.

The way Rin bounces from subject to subject reminds me of ~my wife~, which is probably helping endear her to me. Wife is not quite as socially awkward as Rin, though. (Although...Can you even call what Rin does "social awkwardness"? She doesn't seem to feel all that awkward about it. "Social not-giving-a-gently caress-ness"?)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Yeah, the narrative is playing it off but my immediate response to "girl takes too many cold pills" is not "cute drowsy hijinks", it's "call the drat nurse". I think there's some cultural and personal bias there, though; I'm the type that carefully sets alarms to time my ibuprofen and paracetamol* doses when I'm sick.

*tylenol, I think the US calls it?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Yeah, I was really enjoying it at the beginning, but over time it just got frustrating. Obviously they're teenagers, but it felt like Hisao made no progress whatsoever towards understanding Rin. She would say a line, then we'd get paragraphs about how weird and unknowable she is, rinse and repeat...It's a valid way to write this kind of relationship, but, yeah. Frustrating.

The line about "trying to belong" raised my hackles something fierce, though. She is trying! Dunkass! She keeps saying that she doesn't know how!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Hisao calling Lilly "vexing" is pretty funny after seeing Rin's route. I'm looking forward to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Having a heart (or heart-related, in my case*) problem is weird. On one hand, it's really invisible most of the time, so you feel like "oh, it's okay if push myself a bit." But when it fucks up, it REALLY fucks up. So you end up in this weird yoyo where you're like "yeah I'm fine", then you exert yourself and it is Not Fine, and then that passes and the cycle starts again.

Spoilered for non-explicit goon sex talk, hopefully this is okay: oh, Hisao :sigh: yeah this is an issue. I thought I was ace for a long time til I got my diagnosis and realised the reason I wasn't, ahem, enjoying myself was the major and definitely abnormal heart palpitations. Poor kid. And it's not like a doctor is gonna tell him "yeah, avoid doing x or y during sex because it's likely to trigger an attack, but z should be fine" because we all like to pretend teenagers aren't horny.

*(it's complicated but essentially, bad nervous system=bad everything but especially heart)