Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
drat, the old thread dying and the new one popping up is just like when stalin replaced lenin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Theory is useful to introducing thinking in specific ways or upon subjects, but it is not a replacement for thinking. More useful I think is discussion.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
as someone who is obviously VERY well informed in middle eastern politics,

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Celot posted:

because establishing an islamic state has nothing to do with responding to material conditions

?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
it's okay to say you don't understand how a theory might apply to a specific situation, and ask for an explanation. like the thread is here to learn. and you can even discuss it! but blanket statements like "nope can't be done"- wait that's an even better way to get people to explain it to you. carry on.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Celot posted:

Religion is a powerful motivator for a lot of people. Poverty can motivate people to violence, but it’s not the only thing that can. Marwan al-Shehhi, for example, wasn’t poor. You can’t find one motivator and declare it to be the only motivator always and forever, not if you want to think critically.

I think you might be confusing sociological and psychological concepts of motivation.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Celot posted:

The problem is now that the theory can be applied to any hypothetical situation. It can explain too much. Like resorting to God to explain the diversity of life.

Marxist theory typically deals with sociological concerns. It makes no predictions of, say, chemistry or physics. It is a very overarching theory, known as a framework, from which more specific theories can be derived and potentially falsified.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Celot posted:

Some of the ways of knowing are good but very limited: logic and science to name two. Some are totally invalid, such as faith and Marxism.

Would it be safe to say your prior is that Marxism is insufficient?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

Also what is this thread's thoughts on judith butler

I like Judith Butler a lot.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

John Charity Spring posted:

the fun thing is that i'm pretty sure marxist analysis of the middle east around 2011 did in fact predict the rising power of fundamentalist religious groups. i don't have any such predictions on hand but i distinctly remember reading them at the time

Wouldn't just about any analysis conclude "the currently ongoing rising power of fundamentalist religious groups in the middle east will continue"?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

John Charity Spring posted:

yeah, hence my edit

Didn't see that, mb

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i swear to god if you're a stemlord who has never set foot in a social science class

here we can see the beginnings of religious fundamentalism in response to material conditions in this very thread

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Celot posted:

Still doing the bit where you pretend to be offended by the notion that religious fundamentalism is crazy. Weird.

Disregarding Marx for a second even modern psychological theory does not support your assumption at the individual level.

Peace.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Now accepting massive effort-posts into my pm box.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Celot posted:

basically

lol

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Alright everyone that's a wrap, good show!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

Celot is continuing the struggle in Luna Oi's youtube comments
https://twitter.com/LunaOi_VN/status/1395230892340047874?s=20

That message took a wild turn at the end.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/remarksist/status/979164954271059969

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad dead gay comedy forums isn't dead

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
In this post I will analyze how the Death Note could have been used to obtain a communist utopia,

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
jack off bin

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Dreddout posted:

Didn't a sound cloud rapper declare himself the president of CHAZ

He was barely even a factor in things per my friends who were at CHAZ. Place had the exact same vibes as a street fair, but with anarchist evangelists

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

comedyblissoption posted:

welcome back larry didnt even know u got perma'd lmao

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
lmao the dude likes nick land

into the trash bin

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

ive confused him with nick bostrom myself

Now this is an easy mistake to make

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Everyone who has opinions on things I don’t know or care about is too online.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that makes sense.