Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
I made this post but i wanna put it here

Mantis42 posted:

it's not the people that are bad but the crime definitely is. property damage is on the low end but it does disrupt the community, don't pretend it doesn't.

e: the black panthers efforts in chicago is a great example of actually building community. i see too many comfortable anarchists and ultras on twitter who just valorize pointless acts of destruction and violence because it's le epic and they'll never have to be near it or get their hands dirty. it's a stupid tendency

oh i wasn't taking it like you were saying something like that. most cities are hosed as-is in the system we're in
I'm talking about that stuff like intercommunalism, repurposing gangs into legitimate organization that do useful stuff, teaching poor people their enemy isn't the other races it's the people with money, etc.

The crime comes from desperation because there's no economic opportunities and there's no way to really leave and poo poo is more expensive there the poorer you are, bodega milks like $ 9, soup $3, if you don't have a car you can only carry stuff, so you can't go across town or buy bulk etc everybody is set up to lose except the predatory businesses and institutions

meanwhile you can sling birds and retire at 20 with enough money for a lil house out in a flyover state if you're real sharp

All the smart people get eaten up by the drug game if they can't get a scholarship like there's that line by biggie from 1992
because the streets is a short stop
you're either slinging crack rock
or you got a wicked jump shot

it hasn't changed except more fentanyl and meth
but its no coincidence that it's like that in every inner city around the country

All of the entrepreneurial innovative assertive organized talented people go into the drug game before theyre adults and they die before theyre adults usually
property damage and urban neglect poo poo like that is mostly from under enforcement of pretty much everything, especially in the last 5 years or so, the police have completely stopped doing pretty much anything in a lot of major cities except stomping out protests & going to proud boy rallies and also pushing people into protests by murdering a string of black men in a short span of time and then falseflagging them and doing property damage

The lack of potential of poor people is an intentional construct in society, both the lack of hope from within poverty and the lack of both optimism or empathy from outside it

because if middle class people saw broke people as humans and if broke people saw homeless people as humans and then all those humans saw poo poo like medina, WA it's game over for the ruling class

that's why the homeless are not helped, so that they're on the streets nodding out and being gross and pissing people off so people loving hate them, the resources to house them are absolutely nothing for this country, but it doesn't ever happen

because if you housed the homeless then the people who are paying for houses that small would ask why, and once that box is opened it can't be closed easily

this country teaches people to hate everyone who is less fortunate than them by drilling it into your head over and over and over that it's their fault somehow both at an individual and a collective level, that they also hate you and that they're dangerous, especially downward but also upward

i think overcoming that stuff is the only chance that there is for any sort of change away from capitalism or greater class consciousness period even under a capitalist system

quote:

Newton believed that imperialism had developed into a stage of reactionary intercommunalism. Reactionary intercommunalism is typified by the development of a tiny community of elites with a monopoly on technology and state power within a single hegemonic empire (currently the United States)

Newton particularly disagreed with the view that the proletariat would be the sole revolutionary agent, as he continued to believe in the revolutionary potential of the lumpenproletariat.

Newton saw intercommunalism as situated within the tradition of Karl Marx's materialism, but not as a necessarily Marxist ideology. Newton believed that many Marxists "cherish the conclusions which Marx arrived at through his method, but they throw away the method itself – leaving themselves in a totally static posture. That is why most Marxists really are historical materialists: they look to the past to get answers for the future, and that does not work

This 'ruling circle' is different from the Bourgeoisie, which the Panthers treated as a much broader phenomenon. Newton said that "[t]here are very few controllers even in the white middle class. They can barely keep their heads above water, they are paying all the bills, living hand-to-mouth, and they have the extra expense of refusing to live like Black people." The Black bourgeoisie in particular is a "fantasy bourgeoisie" which could be rallied to a revolutionary cause through sufficient education.

The ruling circle's monopoly on technology and education is important to maintaining reactionary intercommunalism, as it prevents the rest of the world's communities from fulfilling their material needs independently of the center, leaving them dependent on the Empire for advancement. The ruling circle uses 'peaceful co-optation' more often than military invasion to reinforce its aims.

Reactionary intercommunalism allows for no independent national sovereignty, as the dominance of the global hegemon means that all nations bend to the 'weight' of its interests.Instead nations have been reduced down to constituent communities, or "a small unit with a comprehensive collection of institutions that exist to serve a small group of people." Each of these communities "want to determine their own destinies," but can only do so by joining into a revolutionary bloc. All of the communities have no superstructure apart from global capitalism, and while they have different economic conditions they are all 'under siege' by the same forces.[
lol where's the lie at Huey was smart a f

the problem is that the social constructs we've made have become institutions that are self sustaining and assign their own definitions to other constructs based on how they relate to that institution only, and these institutions assign societal roles to individuals, groups, entities of all kinds that are only kept going through a feedback loop of institutionally designed constructs that establish other institutions and that's how you get Bitcoin, tech venture capital, war on drugs, gwot, climate change, everything retarded about modern life

things are unnaturally kept in a music chair cycle of controlled collapse, where the goal of the ruling class of the institutional jacobs ladder ourobouros is to make sure they're not on the part that goes down. Which is easier by making sure someone else always is. All modern authority is being able to point some of the literal and metaphorical guns away from yourself, besides that there's no actual control or direction at any level

There's no way to rehabilitate it because it is self-correcting, the institutions will work in lockstep against attempts to unroot any one of them. If one is finally undone, The empowered of it will simply hop on to another, the gap in institutional authority will be left as an artificial freedom and sense of societal progression for as it much time as it takes to lash everything back down

like I think even if capitalism was removed, at this state of social development, with how complex and powerful different institutions have become, you could get rid of capitalism and it would be like when feudalism dissolved, or when monarchies became republics - 95% of the people in control are the same loving people lol nothing changes because everything else that can survive that transition is going to absorb them and try to create the same power structure again because they're going to bring the same institutional understanding of the world every time

this is why we need crazy knuckles fan and croup back

Prove me wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

The Voice of Labor posted:

1: possessing no capital

meeting that includes someone in the working class and excludes them from the owning class

2: being too broke to have class consciousness

within the working class we are looking for the members of it who are ultimately detrimental to its aims, those who lack class consciousness. there are two paths towards this, being materially satiated enough to be able to fygm or being materially deprived enough to not really give a gently caress or to not have the luxury of giving a gently caress.

so, yeah, in lieu of something more cogent, I'm going to contend that those are in fact the qualifications

the fygm people have capital, dummy

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Buck Wildman posted:

never blaspheme the dead

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

If Marxism demands I must get a real job and stop exploiting horny people for money then Marxism isn't really very different from my dad and like my dad, must gently caress off

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Mandel Brotset posted:

america is exceptionalism

also america regularly murders its leftist organizers before they can get too influential

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

dead gay comedy forums posted:

As a consequence of their social function, capitalists are indeed seekers of efficiency, in the sense that they want to obtain the greatest amount of surplus value with the least necessary capital to do so. Because of several factors that emerge from that, "efficiency" got conflated with those in the relevant discourse.

To give an example to demonstrate: an industrial capitalist that seeks to increase their market share against international competitors is able to determine many areas of improvement that would allow them to do so. By learning the ins and outs of their industrial processes, the capitalist discovers that with developments in machine technology, their company will be able to outproduce the others by employing those in new production lines. As a consequence of this investment, a whole chain of economic efforts is activated and mobilized, creating many synergistic effects that reverberate as a whole.

they're seeking net profit and high x year avg share values, its am important distinction
real productivity is gross profit/revenue, net profit is just describing the finances and personal gain

if they sought gross profit over personally increasing their own relative income they wouldn't be as useless, that's much more how companies traditionally used to run because it's the only sustainable long term option but everyone forgot

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

That's the thing, because for an industrial capitalist, productivity and efficiency is how they are able to optimize the extraction of surplus value to then accumulate capital

a financial capitalist (rentier, investor, speculator, any kind) has the same fundamental logic of accumulation, but skips productivity entirely because finance is far more efficient at providing return due to the nature of fictitious capital (i.e. compound interest)
it also directly deincentivizes productivity or profitability in some situations because it puts boundaries on theoretical value playing pretend ftw my company has an invisibility cloak

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

Tendency of Rate of Profit to fall.

My #1 critique is the failure to address racism and sexism. This is a major issue for nearly all economic theories, but problematic for TRPF. Exploitation of surplus labor is a mandatory building block for TRPF.

Holding everything else constant, the civil rights movement should have caused a significant decline in profit - as wages were increased for black and minority Americans. The movement aligns with a fall in profit. This is consistent with the Marxs formula, but complicated the usage of the time period as proof of trpf.

wages, growth, and profit arent the same thing
ocal relative change isn't universal absolute change

if profit is growing massively due to worldwide industrial development, wages can temporarily have a relative increase without reducing profit

wage and profit in one industry can also be offset by another, this is one of the biggest issues with capitalism being used as a metric for real world productivity, according to capitalism a crypto farm has as much utility as a real farm that generates an equivalent profit, and the crypto farm is PREFERABLE if it's distributing that profit amongst fewer people

costs can be offset over time and across different markets, what appears from close up to be a raise to the black american worker can actually be internally seen as a 20, 40 year loan by capital
they can reduce compensation or increase costs later to recoup it so that ultimately the total share of labor compensation doesn't grow relative to total profit, only to earlier relative compensation and only within a limited timespan

all of capitalism is interconnected you can't divide it geographically or chronologically, it's a series of self-interfering butterfly effect-y ripples within one thing - a good example of how absolute this is within capitalism is that haiti is still suffering direct financial consequences of the Haitian revolution in the 1700s, while neighboring cuba left the capitalist system and as a result isn't suffering in the same way, while haiti will continue to suffer until another location upsets capitalism more and is relegated to the low spot and then Haiti can begin to prosper once someone else is becoming most exploited and victimized

black people in the 60s were displaced from the lowest point on the american totem pole by leftists and southeast asians except within the american south, and so the rest of the country took issue with that bc they wanted white and black southerners focused on the same enemy they were, not from any sort of moral or ethical development amongst the empowered parts of society under capitalism, those don't happen

the reason it won't change otherwise for haiti within capital are ultimately the same ideological principles that make capitalism exist and what makes tmrpf correct: capitalism is about competition, can't win unless someone loses and if you're currently winning you have to keep the losers losing.
it's dangerous to even try to change that because the system is entirely built on established hierarchy and the strength of hierarchy is from the localized advantage in power structures it allows, by also controlling the contextual structures the power is drawn from and given to. as the top of the capitalist hierarchy solidifies and strengthens its grip on power within its system, those individual structures it gains strength from crystallize over time and becomes very brittle because profit incentives hollow out institutions made to maintain the status quo once it's become established - no more profit to be found - all of the surplus power is vacuumed upwards in the hierarchy to strengthen it and weaken competition

in a competition with no set timespan or end condition, without endless physical boundary or resources and growing overall population, given enough time the winners will have nothing they can take from the other side except their lives, at which point they'll either do that and split internally into a new set of winners and losers, rebirthing the cycle of capitalism and setting it off towards the same end
-or- the winners will be destroyed by people who aren't trying to be competitive and the cycle of competition ends

there's no other outcome, growth thru population, industry, geography all only delay it as long as the growth can occur, nothing else does anything in the long run, tmrpf is correct anywhere you look at trends across the entire system and only appears otherwise if you limit the scope

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Feb 6, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

I'll let a MIC goon respomd to the services are productive labor comment.

For my positions - I am fully a believer in the theory of exploitation of wages or surplus wages, surplus value. I'll caveat the US doesn't teach it this way, but it's my belief and in line with Marx.

TRPF is a good theory. I think it's one of many factors at a macro level. I don't think it's the only factor, nor do I believe it must result in a collapse. This is where I differ with Marx, and I don't belie e a lot of theories and claims that build off "inevitable collapse".

it doesn't build from that, it's not assumed as a truth to start out

it's mathematically the only conclusion you can reach when you look at a system that assumes infinite real expansion in a planet of fixed size and in an entropic universe with hard physical constants

the only route for continued growth is to profitably colonize space. even if the us knocked over china and was the only world govt, that would be the only option in the long run bc even if we were capable of profitably expanding underground, underwater, the poles, which we also aren't: each meter of earth can only support so much life and only has so many resources, only gets hit with so much energy from sunlight

otherwise you need people to embrace the metaverse and from the reception that stuff gets, i don't see it becoming something that can fuel the increasing growth required

spaceflight is incredibly cost and resource intensive, it isn't profitable, colonizing another planet would be unimaginably cost and resource intensive and even if succeeded would take a very long time before producing an overall profit higher than the cost of shipping human civilization to another planet
a round trip is four years because of the limited launch windows, it took like 150 years for the us colonial projects that were a 6mo wind-powered boatride away before it could become truly self-sustaining and that was in an environment that needed nothing special to survive that the place of origin did, and had its already established human populations, edible plant life, etc.

since interplanetary logistics has such a massive turnaround and is so expensive, a colony on mars ultimately needs to be able to make it's own basic ingredients to support biological life and everything up the chain from that to processors and vaccines and incubators

in an environment where the atmosphere is thin enough you'll get super cancer without a 6ft thick glass window and there's no liquid water or air to breathe and the lowered gravity fucks up your body and weakens your bones and muscles
and even then, it's by far the most habitable place except earth in the entire solar system, everywhere else incl space itself is significantly harder

capitalism has to get past those sets of hurdles in a way that's ultimately profitable in order to extend the clock past where it's already at now, otherwise it'll just continue to cannibalize itself like it has been since the 1970s barring the bursts of growth from aerospace, computerization, software, internet, cellphones + the illusion of growth made from capitalist arms industries developed to exploit other capitalist states or protect against exploitation by capitalist states & rebuilding efforts after capitalist wars destroy areas

this whole last few hundred years and especially last 30 are one enormous bubble of growth from technology, they're not at all the norm, not sustainable, you're seeing inertia from that giving this system wealth and a position of global dominance, not any inherent stability or strength to the capitalist system

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

I have. I'm not sure what is missing. I have no critique of the theory.

My critique is the pointing at a chart and saying profits are falling is flawed. There's multiple variables at play which can explain falling profits. But because there's multiple variables it also doesn't mean trpf is wrong.

profits are always falling because there's a single shared pool of value generated within the capitalist system all profit is drawn from

all profit is, by definition, when a larger share of that value is extracted by an entity than introduced

it only works out one way, the only way to delay that is when market growth adds more to the pool than the capitalists can extract at the same time
the only real sources of growth are from populations, resources, and physical space for both of those to exist and the earth has a fixed size and fixed amount of resources available - it only works out one way, it's a feedback loop, that's how they work

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Before elaborating further: what about prison labor in the USA + combined with corporations doing industrial transfer to LatAm + Asia?

also note it's the tendency for the mean rate to fall

it's not claiming every instance of profit will always be reduced compared to the previous one or that it'll fall in the same area, its not saying profits can't increase in the short term or within certain areas

its saying the mean rate of profit overall under capitalism will tend to fall over time
so looking at other areas to refute(or assert) that will be confusing, forest n trees, u have to look at how stuff fits into the larger context

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

(that’s the idea I am building here)

oh my b i was adding on what you'd saying to op

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

Like 95% of macro economics work this way. Even most of the ones called "law of". Part of why economic is a soft or social science.

except it is demonstrable, when viewing the mean rate of profit within capitalism across time

economics is a fake science built off the false assumption that capitalist ideology is correct and cannot be all-around outperformed by other systems, it doesn't look at them and doesn't compare capitalism to anything except itself under capitalist metrics like gdp
it skips the first step to being an actual science, everything after that in the entire field is broken clock accuracy because of that alone imo

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

You know marx was a respected economist right?

And that the soviets had economists? And China does today?

It's a study of resources, behavioral incentives (now it's entire own branch), and the impact at a micro or macro level.

western economic academia diverged from reality when they removed materialist concepts in ideological adherence to capitalism & anticommunism

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Orange Devil posted:

Pretty sure it’s like global warming.

people can theoretically do something about global warming

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

*on trampoline* look like gravity a lie

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

I'm going to try again, starting over. I am criticizing the empirical "proof" of trpf. I don't believe it can be proven.

First - definitional alignment on profitability.

R = s/(c+v).

R is rate of profit.
S is surplus labor or profit, as defined by Marx. This isn't the same definition that companies use to report profit.
C is constant capital.
V is wages.

Wages is going to be one item I am going to use, so I'm going to further define:

Wages are the cost of labor power, which is how its used in the above formula.

But wages can also be used to purchase capital.

Is this all correct under Marx?

try to start and end with physical input and outputs i think that's getting in your way here

try to not start or end with any abstraction that'd require its own explanation or you'll confuse constructs and real variables up, then you've got "the invisible hand of the market" kinda stuff that can follow patterns within markets and still have no real connection to reality , real life isn't instant or frictionless or perfectly efficient or w/e and that stuff makes pockets of make-believe to smooth over problems with without even noticing

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

you aint doing poo poo in the andes on your own

when you can't concentrate people everywhere you want to deal with problems, cooperating probably becomes a lot more important
there's so many paths in the andes that can be blocked by like 10 people in some parts, a kingdom of assholes wouldn't last too long i don't think

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

If capitalist a buys out capitalist b, there's been no change in profits?

the cost of the purchase has to be factored in

profit technically always changes with every transaction in and out
viewing it as static is an abstraction that works from the perspective of a business owner not for the system as a whole you can't escape entropy you are trying to escape entropy

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

I'm even more confused now.

Can capitalism reach a state of zero profit with imbalanced distribution?

Or in theory, for zero profit to be reached, there must be equality, with requires centrally planned (socialism?)?

capitalism invariably begins stealing and killing long before it will allow profit to end
projections have to predict growth or capital does something else once stuff stops growing
stability and equality are the enemy of capitalism they don't mesh at all

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

I can't disagree with the reality of that stealing and killing.

But those aren't issues in theory.

in practice it's just what happens with people though i wasn't even saying it as a moral judgement imo you can look at that as ultimately the reason capital needs constant growth
if it can't find it, it splits up internally and eats itself one way or another until there's space for growth again unless something outside of it forces it not to, there's nothing inside of capitalism to do that, the incentives involved won't ever allow profit to equalize out

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Orange Devil posted:

You're just posting words dude you're not engaging with anything.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

different parts of the military are gonna have diff revolutionary potential
like the kiel mutiny and freikorps were both from the same generation of german military ppl

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Brain Candy posted:

why is it a good model? you like it, cool, but why would it be effective? why would it be now? why wasn't it then?
black us troops have most reasons to oppose the current system of anyone who's a part of upholding it when that's already a fixed & very valuable pool of people to reach
black people are also overrepresented in the military by overall population so its gonna be a smaller # of overall people you have to appeal to to get the same effect bc every military member who switches is -1/+1 stuff like that adds up

demographically the most unstable link of the ruling class' power structure, mistake to ignore that imo

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

mila kunis posted:

and yet there nobody was able to build a communist movement in that period with even the strength of the american communist movement in the 30s, why? what happened?

cia, fbi, nsa
the stalling of leftism worldwide has been from the rise of the intelligence state
you don't hear about the same inspiring people because before they can become that inspiring they get clipped groups that have potential are filled with feds before they can get off the ground
imo they've gotten worse at it than they were because they don't view leftism as a credible threat to anything and the truly ideologically driven anticommunists got old and died but at the same time the conditions haven't gotten bad enough for that base to regrow is all the problem i think and once poo poo declines a lil more yu where it's fully undeniable it'll get a lot more leniny real quick

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

what

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Zodium posted:

mental illness ftw

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's because it's not a threat

yea

survivor bias
people didn't go into being anarchists in response to vietnam, the ppl that turned to anything more useful got murdered asap

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

Maybe this is what I've had wrong the whole time.

what point are you starting from
like what are the a priori you're using to build your reasoning from because unless you're just trying to gently caress with people i think you have something you're assuming to be a fundamental truth when it isn't, or something like that, and it's loving up the rest of your logic

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

i want an anti-coat...

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

BillsPhoenix posted:

I agree that Quan

quan him

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ferrinus posted:

this is all the encouragement i needed. part 2:

u have yet to think of the anti-hat? how quaint.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fart simpson posted:

i was misremembering a quote about wealth like i said, and i never said or thought anything about nature being a source of surplus value. surplus value is not the same as value

not. on. opposite day. :thunk:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Zodium posted:

he's like a grain of sand in an oyster

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Zodium posted:

of course it was in spite of them, but you still need the wrong guy to induce the spite to get the product. gotta let them cook until the good stuff stops coming.

yep