Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Roswell was a cia high-altitude mylar balloon conducting infrasound sensing of soviet atmospheric nuclear testing (the idea being nukes produce detectable shockwaves that travel all the way around the earth and you can use them to infer on the bomb's strength). Ironically "weather balloons" are p much exactly what they were, one of them popped and they had to quickly scoop it up lest some gomer find the equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the department of energy is the only organization in the US govt with an explicit paramilitary unit, (plenty other de facto ones, though) prepared to do literally anything to recover/secure DOE materiel

they just expect to devastate any area they may have to operate in, and lose about half of their force doing so, given who (or what?????) they would have to deal with

civilian groups have tried to get nuclear material/centers away from populated areas, because of the indiscriminate shelling/destruction they would likely engage in

DOE is up to poo poo

Fwiw this is more because they have to prevent nuclear material being stolen at all costs, you can't just go aw fudge! casualties are too heavy, let the proud boys have the nuke we're pullin' out! when it comes to this stuff

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

theres only one alien on earth and he's my friend, he says he wants everyone to stop trying to find him and just leave him alone. he lives in my converted garage and is pretty cool but he leaves trash out a lot. hes saving up to go back home but i dont have the heart to tell him they dont have antimatter at the gas station (he doesnt go outside, he teleworks at a call center)

i think if he dies of old age or whatever some dumb rear end common cold virus ill use his life savings on an rtx 3090

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Log082 posted:

You fucker, you got a literal wink wink nudge nudge.

I've been trying to figure who to talk to get a job with the people researching these things, as a like 3/4 idle speculation 1/4 serious thing. I have a scientific background extremely relevant to analyzing captured "alien metamaterials" or whatever the gently caress.

hire me you cowards. yes you mr. nsa agent assigned to CSPAM. tell your MIB friends.

If such a thing exists, it's probably like five stages deep of internal hiring, nothing public-facing.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Log082 posted:

You misunderstand. I have all of the parts of that that aren't working for a loving defense contractor (and I'm specialized in materials, not physics or EE.) I need to figure out whose inbox to drop a C.V. in.

Actually, so this isn't a wishful thinking shitpost, let me copy a serious post about the metamaterials that I made elsewhere:

If you're serious, maybe hit up the national ground intelligence center or whatever the air force/navy equiv is

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

dear cspam, how do i join the military industrial complex? the secret one that's full of fascists. tia.

Also lmao yeah definitely do this just because you really really want to see aliens (which you will never do btw but you'll definitely be looking at grainy pictures of russian motorpools)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is there a case of something classified being kept secret from the president? I am assuming Eisenhower and Kennedy signed off on like MKULTRA.

SCI programs are known only to people within the program who need to know about it (up to the authorizing manager). Its specifically so one mole can't know literally every government secret there is just because they somehow get a clearance. Higher-security clearances (like a Q clearance) don't let you know MORE, just more dangerous information. I assume it works the same for the president; the president doesn't know everything, only what is most important at the time for a given subject (e.g. presumably the pres cannot just freely ask precisely where boomers are unless he meant to use them. He is authorized to know where they are, but cannot access the info without needing to know)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The secrecy around groom lake is literally no different than secrecy around any other top secret operation/facility but for some reason it is extra super spooky, makes no sense

The real secrecy is how they use mermen to install propellers on nuclear submarines, which is why they will never let you see them being installed or assembled

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

there are too many idiots which makes the material science stuff hard to get info on. everytime someone (ROGAN!! :argh:) claims that lazar must be telling the truth because otherwise, "how would he know about element 115?" i die a little inside.

official site:
https://dpo.tothestarsacademy.com/blog/material-of-interest-magnesium-zinc-bismuth
Info from Linda Moulton Howe:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xwp9z/ufo-researcher-explains-why-she-sold-exotic-metal-to-tom-delonge

depositing thin layers seems totally feasible using sputtering or some kind of spin application based on some other tech ive seen (with very different materials) nothing about the mix or the scale surprises me here or seems otherworldy tbqh. I think this is even the og art's parts material but i may be mistaken.

“if you hit it with enough terahertz, it’ll float.”
Tom saying this, don't care. Tom repeating maj. gen. mccaslin or robert weiss saying so, its a different ballgame even if they are leaking him disinfo

Lmao yeah ok, show me a free body diagram explaining how shooting this waveguide with a laser pointer (terahertz radiation!!) causes an anomalous force

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

if its literally the same stuff, art bell was talking about this poo poo in the 90s and if it did what was described, someone would have noticed by now imho.
sure, of course, this stuff is all fake - vote 1 and move on, close the thread, etc.

actually discussing it, the argument goes spinning your superconductor and injecting a significant amount of energy in high frequency (number ive seen are tens of kw at 100s of mhz) provides exotic behavior. quite frankly the meissner effect looks awfully exotic to me and i have a hard time discounting this without a better understanding of the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOtIsnG71U&t=230s

what is shown in the video is a completely unrelated property of superconducting magnets and without bothering to check I am pretty sure CERN/nuclear fusion labs routinely energize that much electricity through their superconducting coils (though probably not AC, but it doesn't matter, if there were any truth to it we'd know)

any time people trot out superconductors or magnets or microwaves or whatever in relation to antigravity it's universally bunk; superconductors are rad for plenty of reasons but they're not exactly mysterious, they're used for practical purposes right now in laboratories, it's just they're too unwieldy/unrealistic atm to use in stuff that would greatly benefit from superconductors (transmission lines, high power motors, efficient cpus etc)

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 00:03 on May 26, 2021

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ross DaouThot posted:

i’m pretty sure that the gravity drive in the downed roswell craft was considered a COG issue because if the tech was in any way made public or democratized, suddenly there’s really no such thing as secure airspace, not to mention that US global hegemony was inextricable from oil and gas. some people somewhere decided it wasn’t worth the trouble of upending the global paradigm, even in america’s own craft (because they could be compromised like the stealth blackhawk), so they just buried the poo poo in a pit somewhere and no potus will ever be privy to details.

The downed roswell craft was literally a weather balloon. It was a mylar balloon loaded with experimental top secret infrasound acoustic equipment used to spy on soviet atmospheric nuclear tests

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

if you really want to experience sleep paralysis these are the steps to take:

set your alarm for 5 in the morning

turn it off and go to sleep on your back facing up

there is no step three

remember to take a deep deep deep breath and wiggle your legs if you need to wake up

Yeah sleep paralysis is sleeping in a soft mattress on your back so your blood pools in your torso as your heart rate decreases during sleep, your arms and legs fall asleep so if you wake you won't have any sensation in your limbs for a minute or so

I wonder if there is any correlation to your unconscious dream/mental state of having your arms and legs fall asleep and if it causes you to have more lucid dreams or something

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

On the flipside, what is the most uninteresting and frustratingly stupid conclusion to all this? I'm picturing a Balloon Boy-rear end finale where it turns out its all about an Apple drone or something that is able to dive underwater and transition to flying, and the speed anomolies are just false readings. The tic-tacs are Facebook internet blimps that got caught in the jet stream.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I don't buy that it's government testing because the government would inherently, you know, let their people know testing is occurring so they can get good data. They're not gonna prank themselves for laughs because they'd want the radar data for study. Would make more sense that it would be a private organization or foreign government, and if it was a special access program they wouldn't risk involving anyone not briefed in like that Carnival cruise ship.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

otoh the us military has a long long history of testing things on uninformed and unsuspecting people.

besides they can still get all the data to study, after all the snoopie reports are what they’re refusing to release.

granted, but I'd be more inclined to believe that if we had a track record of them buzzing airport towers with F117s or loving with Washington DC with SR-71s for "testing" (which would be totally analogous with stuff going on now)

Also it's 100% not EMDrive, that's bunk pseudoscience and even if it was somehow real you're not going to see the lovely micronewton levels of force being optimized to propel large craft at hypersonic speeds in like two years (not to mention many sightings were before EMDrive was even a topic of conversation)

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 16:53 on May 28, 2021

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'm the secret government tech so advanced we can't even use it or even publically reveal it lest it fall into enemy hands for 30 years straight

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Projected plasma balls is such a slam dunk explanation, has all the observed properties and has obvious military use (spoofing radar signatures)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The reason major publications are all reporting on it earnestly all of a sudden is it snowballed from the video declassificafion and now gets tons of clicks, op

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

PawParole posted:

as always, the military thinks “how can we kill people with this?”

this is classified at the same level as "branch picnic schedule", completely meaningless

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Frigging plasma laser pointer
https://www.wired.com/2007/05/plasma-laser-uf/
Researchers working with high-power laser weapons discovered that they could create a glowing ball of fire in the sky by crossing the beams of two powerful infrared lasers…By moving the laser beams around the sky, the researchers found they could shift the plasma ball back and forth at very high speed…. At night, they demonstrated their skills, flying their glowing creations in formation high above the cold desert.

This is from a 2007 article pointing back to a report/info from the 1980s. And it fits these reports precisely. If I was a gambling man, I would put everything on this being the occurrences.

Someone hit up styropyro to test this out

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It was always gonna be this op

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The fact they've been around for so long and that China and Russia are still heavily invested in anti-ship ballistic missiles, hypersonic cruise missiles, and supercavitating torpedoes 100% immediately rules out it being foreign technology in my mind. Why waste money on that stuff over the years if you can hurl a single tictac at a carrier and blow it to smithereens with kinetic energy alone?

Either it is aliens, a strange natural phenomenon we have no explanation for, or the pilots over the years are full of poo poo and its stuff like party balloons miraging in the sun. Or Ecuador's military has been much, much more advanced than we ever knew...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Spergin Morlock posted:

they create a cavitation bubble at the front of the torpedo to reduce friction on the surface. it basically flies underwater

Yeah imagine a missile that flies underwater, impossible to avoid via maneuvering and impossible to intercept

Ironically I think trump saying "hydrosonic missiles" was his good brane misremembering this

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Understanding that proposed FTL propulsion technology requires massive amounts of energy, shouldn't it be possible to experimentally validate it using some sort of ultra-short picosecond pulses on a micro-scale? There are already petawatt lasers in existence, isn't it concievable to maybe move a single molecule a few microns using a warp bubble or something? All the papers talk about like a 200m diameter warp bubble which is nice but reeks of physicists not earnestly looking to propose experimental jumping off points

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

You need negative mass to make the warp thing work, and we don’t know how to make that.

I thought negative mass/energy was solved out of the warp drive equations?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I think we ought to shoot one down, either we unlock its secrets, it destroys us, or climate change gets us, either way big risk big reward

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Azathoth posted:

I'd encourage caution with attributing alien origins to religion, as that is the bread and butter of the Ancient Aliens crowd, who love to take superficial readings of the religious stories of nonwhite peoples and attribute it to aliens. Not saying you are doing this just be aware of that line when treading in the space where religion and aliens begin to intersect.

With that in mind, there are very few biblical stories where a UFO/alien interpretation makes any sense, even on a surface level, with Ezekiel and his wheel probably being the most famous. But even those have much better readings within existing historical and cultural frameworks.

Just like Ancient Aliens, it only really works if you're not prepared to engage with the text in a critical fashion and aren't willing to examine it within the cultural context in which it was written.

That said, I do think it is interesting that a near-universal feature of religions worldwide is the physical reality of sapient nonhumans, and how they often end up a part of religions as a result of pre-existing folk belief (demons in Christianity, the Jinn in Islam, as examples).

They aren't a critical piece of the religion's overall theology, but they end up being included in various places clearly due to a ubiquitous belief from the peoples being converted, so a concept from outside l the religion gets brought inside it, and how that ends up being these nonhuman entities is something that probably does bear exploration.

You mean to tell me the modern english translation of a two thousand+ year old patchwork of documents can't be taken uncritically at face value???

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

these look like parachute flares and someone hootin and hollarin with a flaregun

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

lmao thats a bug, some of these are extremely unconvincing

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Tekne posted:

not saying the video is real, but i don't think a bug is going to a disrupt a cloud it's flying through

oh, didnt notice that

seems faf still, if it could disturb a cloud it could also create a sonic boom that broke everyone's windows

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

*aliens descend from their ship on the white house lawn, and a deafening audio blast is heard around the world:*

"Nineteen dollar fortnight card. who wants it?"

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I enjoy this thread but goons are so drat credulous lmao

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What if instead of encasing the entire craft in a warp bubble you just blew a propellant stream through a very small warp bubble, then what if you accidentally dropped a rock into your test setup and you shoot earth point blank with a pebble going 20x the speed of light

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hi I'm flib florb and welcome to drackass! *sticks my flhingus in warp bubble stream*

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

whoa that means the hidden fortress and dambusters are both alien stories in origin too. crazy stuff, real interesting. hey can you play that clip of the gorilla playing the bongo drums again lets see that

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Love 2 spend hundreds of billions of dollars on fighter programs that last ten years then redoing it and sending them to the boneyard never having seen combat that an f-16 or reaper couldn't have done

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

500excf type r posted:

reading the quoted release, it sounds more like the program embraces modern design techniques that have never been used on a production run of that level. I am talking about not using 2D spec drawings and stuff and instead using a master model developed at the beginning which drives the whole production chain and everything is computer-generated based off the master model. Things such as the machine tooling paths to make the part, CMM inspection paths to verify the part, every step of the way it is all digital, start to finish.

I believe this is current industry standard for automotive manufacturing but aerospace is starting to shed the last 100 years of learned lessons and practices and embrace the digital age.

yeah I was confused with what he meant because I'm an aerospace designer and still have to generate drawings (which is getting more and more pushback especially for really complex 5-axis parts where it'll take you a week to make a drawing on a part that took you one day to design and analyze)

there are drawbacks to all-digital (mom and pop shops that don't have 5-axis machines obviously can't do 5-axis jobs which limits your vendor pool, really simple parts that can be done on a Bridgeport are better suited to drawings still, you need really robust ways to handle special instructions like thread inserts or special coatings, etc) but it would sure as hell take me a lot less time to get parts into fabrication without needing to generate drawings

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

when I was in 3rd grade my dad got me the Star Wars vhs set and I convinced myself I had the force

Love 2 give myself an aneurysm thinking really really hard at a baseball

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

dew worm posted:

is the Greek dude from ancient aliens still around?

No he's gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Be careful, I heard the aliens gave all their troops Sigma