Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Its supposed to be a shed thing with a water tank I think? idk some kind of farm outbuilding in the photo -

I looks more like a tank for heating oil for use in the winter to me. If so, that would likely be a house and not a shed, because you wouldn't waste any more money on metal pipes than you had to.

Probably a typical early 19th century sharecropper type house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Holy crap, quoted by Pooky and I put 19th century instead of 20th century because my insombia brain juxtaposed 1900s and 20th century.

I am mediocre.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I hate this reality.

That interstellar box is what we get instead of saucers?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECpAx8Ui9mM

I don't like this video

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Okay bird thread. Two things I could use help with. Or not help really, just commiseration maybe? A place to just ask what the gently caress?

Just a little over an hour ago, I was driving back from making a deposit at the bank for work. I just happened to look up and saw a shape in the sky. It's a beautiful clear day here in south western West Virginia, a bit of a breeze blowing in with a cold front, so just sporadic clouds.

Anyway, I saw something. At first I thought it was a helicopter coming in to land at the local hospital, but the Life Flight is white and blue, not silver.

Ok so what the hell. It wasn't moving or making any noise I could hear over traffic. Then it hit me what it COULD be, so I glanced down to grab my phone and by the time I was able to locate it, I had gone around a bend that took it out of my sight. In all, the time span was 15 to 20 seconds. I can't explain WHY I didn't feel a deeper compulsion to grab my phone before then, first it was trying to figure out if it was a helicopter, then it was just..amazement almost? Like I said, I flat out can't explain it.

So after the bend, I had my phone ready, still telling myself it was a helicopter, that I would see it in the sky, smaller, but on its way in to land. But nothing. Not smaller, not bigger same size. Not a drat thing. If it WAS a helicopter coming in to land, it would still be visible. It couldn't have dropped several hundred feet in less than the 5 seconds or so it was out of sight.

Even now, a bit over an hour and a half later, I'm trying to convince myself it was a helicopter. Or a wind defying balloon that I guess just defied physics and disapeared instantly instead of continuing to float along.

I flat out can't explain what is saw.

As best I can describe it, was a silvery rounded ovoid shape, almost like a football, with a vertical black stripe. I should have driven by the hospital to see if a life flight was even coming in, but it didn't occur to me until after the shock and dismay had gone.

Second thing. My dad sent these to me over a month ago and I didn't pay too much attention to him. I've long grown tired of trying to explain digital artifacting and photoshop to him.

Anyway, the best I can remember is that it was in the late night and he was taking the dog out to do her business and he saw a light over a nearby mountain. He continued to watch it, but it didn't flicker, it seemed to pulse. He went back inside to get his phone and took these:

..along with a message of "See the shape?"

Like I said, I didn't pay it much mind because I just saw the artifacting in the zoomed in picture. But then I looked and the long shot and zoomed in with my finger. The triangular shape is there BEFORE you blow it up or zoom in.

It gave me goosebumps the first time I realized it and I called him back immediately and told him that yeah, I can see the shape behind the light.

I don't know. I'm still trying to tell myself that it WAS just a helicopter and I'm fooling myself that I didn't just let the chance to take a picture of my very own bird go down the tubes. But God I feel so drat dumb right now.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I just talked my sighting over with my wife and the biggest takeaway I have as I lie in bed is like. Like, what the gently caress.

I saw something. It's something I've wanted to see my entire life and now it's happened. I've seen something inexplicable, something unexplainable and life just kept going. I kept driving, I got back to work and talked with my coworkers. It was a completely normal drat day.

I want to go outside and shout at the top of my lungs that I've seen something, I saw it, I KNOW I saw it and why didn't it change anything? Don't you understand I SAW IT and the day just kept going. The world didn't end, they didn't land and introduce themselves, I didn't explode or freak out or wreck and die, but I loving SAW this THING and can you believe this poo poo? It feels like a giant weight now, a loving albatross just sitting there over town and then loving just gone and I'll never be able to prove it, even if they land at the loving UN building and say yeah, we're zarblaxians from zeta reticuli, here's how our poo poo works and here's how to fix your planet and hey, are Doritos really any good, I'll never know if THEY'RE what I saw or if it was some interdimensional bag of farts that happens to look like a sideways silver football that was just dropping into our world to soak up some nitrogen before it fucks back off to it's two dimensional hellscape world.

I can't explain it guys. I saw it, I know what I saw and I can't explain how it makes me feel. I saw the incredible and I never want to see it again.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Forgive the hasty drawing, but this the best approximation I could do as soon as I stopped.

The edges were blunter, but my drawing skills are absolute poo poo and I didn't trust myself to try anything but simple shapes.

The crosshatching is supposed to be shadow.

It looked like a blunt or truncated football shape or hell, even a classic saucer shape, but the upper and lower edges weren't sharp, more rounded and it cast a shadow across itself. What looked to be a black vertical line was, I assume the edge of the whatever it was.

Like I said. An inexplicable unaerodynamic shape floating in the air then seeming to get further away then just loving gone.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Forgive the hasty drawing, but this the best approximation I could do as soon as I stopped.

The edges were blunter, but my drawing skills are absolute poo poo and I didn't trust myself to try anything but simple shapes.

The crosshatching is supposed to be shadow.

It looked like a blunt or truncated football shape or hell, even a classic saucer shape, but the upper and lower edges weren't sharp, more rounded and it cast a shadow across itself. What looked to be a black vertical line was, I assume the edge of the whatever it was.

Like I said. An inexplicable unaerodynamic shape floating in the air then seeming to get further away then just loving gone.

The second drawing on the bottom was a drawing to try and explain what I thought the shape MAY have been because it just didn't seem ROUND. I can't explain it, but it seemed oblong and I was seeing like..8/10s of whatever it was from my angle.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I hope my post didn't come off as a panic attack or something, I was just repeating some of what my wife and I talked about.

It absolutely feels like my world has changed, but it doesn't seem to make sense either. It's not the right terminolgy, but I've heard deeply religious people say the same thing and now I think I may know what they mean.

I feel like I'll never have an answer to today and it will always be this aberrant thirty seconds of my life. But it feels like it SHOULD be more. Like if EVERYBODY saw this at the same time, then we could just all look around and be on the same page. But I will always have the memory of this inexplicable THING and that makes me different. Geez, it's so hard to put into words.

I don't feel special or chosen, or even cursed or marked. I never thought it would feel this sort of lonely. Because no matter who tells you they've seen something, unless you were right there with them, there can always be that voice in the back of your head telling you they're pulling your chain or they were mistaken.

When it's your own eyes though, how the hell can you parse that?

Cripes, now I guess it's time to buy a bell and a sandwich board and find a streetcorner.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

So far today I've driven past where I had the sighting four times. Thankfully I remain normal, haven't purchased a single sandwich board OR soapbox!

But seriously yeah. I never thought it would be this complicated to have seen something that can't be explained. It's not quite a feedback loop, nor does it take up every thought every waking second, but it feels like when my mom died and I would realize it all over again every hour or so.

So weird. What's funny is that I've read every page of this thread and watched NEARLY every vid and gif posted and now I kinda understand how some of the people taking them must have felt. drat, what a trip.

What's funny is my wife bought me a copy of The Day After Roswell maybe two months into our relationship about thirteen years ago after we heard about it on an episode of Coast to Coast that barely came through on the AM band.

drat. Life can be weird and random and so is this post, so I'll shut up now!

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Very considerate for it to have red and green markers on the edges..

If real, that's local poo poo.

:rolleyes:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Watching a livestream on youtube and following along in the thread. Saw this little US Army chopper tootling it's way from Bismarck.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Another +1 from a random goon on the excellent Nat Geo UFO series on Hulu. I've been watching it with my wife the past couple of weeks and she was absolutely shook when Lue said the US govt has materials recovered from crashes and even moreso when Nolan and Vallee were showing their bits and pieces.

This drat program should be free for everybody somewhere because it truly feels like a watershed moment. Perhaps I'm biased from watching Unsolved Mysteries every Wednesday night as a kid, and being fascinated at their reporting of the Belgium triangle flap, but I mean dammit! Why aren't more people concerned about this?

There are moments in my life that I can point at and say "Right there. Life changed here, I'm not the same after this day." The day my mom passed. The day my nana passed. And the day I saw that loving thing hovering over town while I was driving.

At this point I wake up every day and sometime, at some point in the day, I wonder if today will be the day we get absolute confirmation.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

The past couple of days I've been almost constantly bombarding my wife with links and screenshots from the thread. She's skeptical but open to the possibility and sees the mounting evidence as interesting.

Since having my own sighting late last year, I switched from an open minded skeptic to wanting all of it all of the time. It almost felt like a religious experience.

One idea I told her is that these were probes or craft sent by an earlier civilization and they've come back and are either trying to find their senders to report findings or something else.

Doesn't exactly feel right, but that would certainly leave one feeling somber and there would be no need for brain stretching explanations of FTL travel.

Although thinking that we absolutely know all the rules and that we're at the end of history regarding physics is conceited as poo poo and I don't subscribe to that thought whatsoever, never have.

I guess I'm just filled with thinking that no matter how far we think we've come, there is still so far we can go. And that we may not have to rely on the egos and whims of the super rich to continue as a species.

Thanks for keeping it weird UFO thread.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Bird?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

cat botherer posted:

Have you posted about this experience before?

Yes, you should be able to find it if you wanna. It's not terribly interesting really, but I saw what I saw that day. Can't explain it.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

My dad took this video the night before last while letting the dog out to do her business.

Starlink?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv09dfEAiOA

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

If you turn the brightness up, you can see the blinking lights of a transmission tower in the bottom right. Not sure if it's radio or what but it's been there for decades.

Dad said if it was moving at all then it was in an easterly direction but it wasnt a steady pace or constant.

I have another version that he says he applied stabilization or something to. I don't know, he uses an IPhone and I'm not very familiar with their stuff.

Here is the "sharpened" version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqLBbzQcDOE

gileadexile has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Jul 12, 2023

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I gaze at these big juicy orbs every time I drive by, but the traffic light finally caught me today and I get to share them with everybody!

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Huh? Samsquamsch? Oh NO! I mean the three big sweaty beefers all standing around working!

But no yeah seriously, those Bigfeet lawn statues are the best.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Could use a few good vibes. We lost our fourteen year old cat Wembley a few months ago now and it looks like we lose another tomorrow morning. Vet said his xray showed a mass in his throat. He hasn't been able to eat anything of any note since Friday, vomited Saturday, got him in as soon as we could yesterday.

He is still able to move, responsive and everything, but just can't eat. His stomach is rumbling and his breath is more and more labored.

Anyway.

I can't bear to think that he's hungry and can't eat. Vet says he wouldn't respond to treatment. It just makes me sick to think his last few minutes on earth will be full of fear and anger. My wife and I are the only people he can stand. I hurt so much for him.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Thanks for all of those kind words. My wife and I both dearly appreciate them. I know it's a bit E/N, but I've read every single page of this thread and I don't really have words that make sense right now. I was raised with a non denominational Christian background and have just..drifted away from having any good thoughts on religion.

I jokingly refer to myself as a hopeful agnostic. I've always been tender hearted with animals and since the passing of my mom and nana in 2021, I find myself even trying to avoid harming insects. I dunno.

Sometimes I feel animals deserve a better afterlife than we do. I love all my pets dearly and I don't want his final moments on earth filled with anger and fear. We're holding him and loving on him as much as he will tolerate.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I had another sighting last week. I didn't bust into the thread because I wanted to get caught up and to roll it over in my brain for a while and try to make sure that I couldn't explain it.

It was quite simple. I drive a lot for my job, and during a run to the post office, I saw something in the sky between two hills, that was the wrong shape.

By the time I was able to pull off the road, it had sunk from view behind one of the hills.

It was a bright reflective white or silver, slight football shape. I snapped a few pictures anyway, since I had my phone in hand and on the off chance something could be visible I couldn't see and I dunno..just wanted to take SOMETHING aside from just a memory.

I also immediately checked flight radar, as there has been bridge work in the area, to see if I could have been a very low flying helicopter.

I won't post that screenshot because it could doxx me, but all it shows is a light aircraft well north of where I was.

I simply can't explain seeing what I saw. It was brief, and I'm disappointed that I couldn't get my phone in hand in time. I stayed for a couple of minutes hoping whatever it was would come out on the other side of the hill, but nothing.

Between my dad catching videos of things often, and this being at least the second thing I've seen, seems like if you just look UP sometimes, you start seeing some weird poo poo.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

RE reflectivity: I mean that it wasn't a cloud or I dunno, something..vaporous? It was metallic (I'm assuming) and it reflected the sunlight.

As for anyone launching a balloon, see this picture. Red circle is where I was on the road, yellow blobbish line is where the object appeared to disappear behind the hill behind the mall.

Balloon would have been going against the wind.

I dunno. There is an airport nearish, but that was the wrong direction for a plane coming in to land and I heard nothing about a crash, sooo..not a helicopter or plane.

Like I said. Can't explain it using any sort of logical reasoning I can come up with.

I may report to NUFORC. Doesn't hurt I suppose.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I won't blame anybody tl;dr'ing this post. I'm just some goon on the internet and in all my 41 years on this earth and ten some odd on SA, the only thing I'm sure of is experiences and happenings only matter to the person they happen to.

Anyway, small bit of backstory. Since Covid hit the US in earnest, my life has been a shitshow. Furloughed at work, my mom passed away then a few months later, my nana.

This year, my wife and I have lost two pets, both cats. Wembley and Pancake. Our two little brothers.

The day I brought Pancakes ashes back from the vet, my wife surprised me with a new male kitten, named Indy (I call him Henry Jones Jr as a nickname).

A couple of weeks ago, we adopted his mother from the shelter and this is her second week here. We named her Gilly. She's timid but loves pets, and Indy and her play. It's taking some time for the other cats to warm to her, but I think it'll happen.

So just now, getting home from work, I did my routine, getting out of work clothes, putting wallet and belt up, etc. Our car Jack always comes into the bedroom with me, it's our little ritual.

I picked her up and bundled her a bit, then set her down and went to wash my hands. She went down the hall and into the living room and Indy followed me into the bathroom.

After drying my hands, I picked up Indy and cuddled him for a bit and felt a cat brush against my leg. I looked down and no cat was there.

Flat out no cats near me. Gilly has a collar with a bell on it, so her I would hear. All the other cats are in the living room waiting on food. There are NO cats back here with me except the one I'm holding in my arms but I felt a cat brush my leg.

It's a very specific feeling and I'm not drunk, high or sleep deprived. But I felt a cat brush my leg.

Sarah has felt a cat jump on the bed. We close the bedroom door when we lay down. We love our cats, but sleeping with them is impossible. But several times a week we would leave the door open half and hour or so while we were getting ready and the boys would come in and lay on the bed and either cuddle up with us or just enjoy being around us while we talked and did little tasks before bed.

I don't know...my wife hasn't turned off the lamp beside her recliner since we lost Pancake, the oldest boy and second brother cat a few months ago. She told me it's in case that they retain..something after. And she wants them to be able to find their way home.

I know exactly how she feels and it sort of makes me feel better than somebody can feel comforted by similar thoughts.

Like I said. I'm just a goon on the internet who's lost a lot lately, but I felt a cat brush against my leg.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Pennant posted:

Not to be 'that guy' but if you have multiple alive cats it would seem more likely that one of them brushed against your leg and ran away before you looked down rather than a cat ghost.

I like cats and have one of my own and I'm sure he was a great companion but ghosts don't exist, only aliens do.

Like I said. Unexplainable things only matter to the person they happen to. I looked down immediately to see who brushed me. There was no cat there. Cats don't move at lightspeed, only aliens do.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Thanks for the kind words. Wasn't trying to start a derail, I know how frustrating it can be to see a lot of posts in the thread and think something busted loose and it's not UFO related.

If ya'll will permit one more small digression.

In order of age.

Simone, 18

Enjoys sitting in front of the heater and making rooms cold. Cuddly, a great stinky old friend. Yells to get treats. Collapses on the floor. Thinks she's a comedian.

Mouse, 13

Guard cat and general warden. Is suspicious of fun. Zooms out of the front window when outsiders intrude and alerts us of general chicanery.

Jack, 11

Most recent brush with kitty illness. Bad thyroid. Loves pets and cuddles. Most "cat like" of all, but very affectionate.

Ygritte (Iggy), 7

Usually only cuddles at night. Makes no sense. Not good at cat. Falls a lot and gets stuck. Awkward, but sweet. Was found outside, under the porch, sitting in an oil drain pan.

Rigby, 6

Very chatty. Lovey and bossy. Wembley was the love of her life. Slowly coming around to having Indy as a playmate.

Gilly, 3(?)

Timid. Slowly coming around. Stray her whole life, rescued from shelter. Not sure of these weird humans and the other cats. Street tough and takes no poo poo.

Indy (Henry Jones, Jr), kitten?

The first new addition after the loss of our boys. Took a couple of weeks for him to feel comfortable exploring the house and doing general cat stuff. Is now a terror to crinkly cat toys. Farts. Gained his name swinging on fake ivy that's draped over a music stand. Seriously ya'll, he farts so much.

And now the boys we lost.

Pancake, 15

HATED most people. Loved my wife and I. Loved yogurt and ice cream. Muttered to himself. Liked to wear grocery bags as capes. Once sped through the living room after having explosive diarrhea, screeched" Yeeeeorm!" on his way by and left a skidmark on the carpet. My buddy.

Wembley, 14

Loved my wife as much as me. Would sit and stare at her. Not a bit of meanness in him. Was a big fella with a small voice. Loved tummy rubs and being spun in circles on linoleum. Loved strawberries. Harbled. Recalcitrant when it came to being put outside the bedroom.

Thanks for letting me share.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

How! posted:

Did anybody else have a really good nights sleep immediately after the eclipse?

Sort of, cause my wife and I both have had covid last week. Worrying about going back to work tomorrow, hope there isn't a lot of fallout from missing 4 days.

Weathers been decent the past few days here too, but I haven't so much as gone outside, much less rode my motorcycle or cleaned my car or any drat thing.

So tired.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

First day back to work was a doozy. I'm a courtesy driver for a car dealership and typically, Mondays tend to be the busiest days. Today didn't buck the trend.

Still have brain fog. Just feel a couple of steps out of sync from the rest of the world.

In between runs, I tend to park out by myself and sky watch. My autistic anti social rear end can only handle so much alpha male horse poo poo, so yeah. I can fake it with customers, but I'm simply not too interested in hearing salesmen and service techs blather.

I wish almost every day that it happens while I'm on the clock. White House lawn, UN building, Australian outback, Diego Garcia, wherever. I've lived with constantly going over the worst case scenarios for decades now. And there's an unkind part of myself that wants everybody else to feel what I do when I have to get up and go to a job that's draining me of any sort of hope that anything gets better without a true ontological shock to the rest of the world.

Sorry to poop up the thread with bad vibes. Just feel..I dunno. Just sorta like I've been sleepwalking through life and it's more than halfway over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

The thought of some sort of continuance after death is so comforting and hopeful.

Hell, even just..I dunno, nothing seems kinda comforting too.

My aunt called me this afternoon to let me know that my pawpaw is being moved to hospice care. I don't really know how to feel about it right now. He's 94 years old and has outlived my nana by almost 3 years, something I know he never wanted to do. They knew each other since they were kids. They were married almost 70 drat years. They bickered and argued and sniped at each other. Nana got pretty bad toward her end. Combative. Pawpaw..his short term memory is gone. Keeps asking where he is and when he's going home.

To the home he built and shared with my nana for so many years.

So yeah. Something or nothing. Togetherness or nothing.
I'm sad, but..not? I'll miss him, but he's been ready since the Christmas Eve we lost nana.

Wouldn't mind some of those spare vibes if anybody can share.