Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Carp
May 29, 2002

bird song

https://soundcloud.com/integral-carp/ignis-fatuus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carp
May 29, 2002

Bird song:

https://soundcloud.com/integral-carp/water-case

(For the best quality, download raw wav file [... More -> Download file]. No commercial or social asperations. Creative Commons license. Note, the song uses a chopped-up book narration Vocaroo sample posted in this thread a little while back, which might be related to this book: https://www.google.com/books/editio...ase%22&pg=PA301 )

Carp
May 29, 2002

The standard prompt I use when experimenting with AI image generation is "flying chrome spheres," with various ages and different lens types. It seemed like a fun idea to compile them all into a discovery—an enthusiast's collection of UFOs. I thought you guys might get a kick out of it, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5fn_okRYk

Carp
May 29, 2002

"Birb is an untyped, purely functional language based on Lambda Calculus and Combinatory Logic. [...] The birb language is entirely comprised of bird emojis."

https://esolangs.org/wiki/Birb

Carp
May 29, 2002

Another Soundcloud track inspired by this thread. https://soundcloud.com/integral-carp/square-shape-cloud

Carp
May 29, 2002

Squizzle posted:

yr username is extremely appropriate to this thread

Sounds ominous

Carp
May 29, 2002

Another Soundcloud track inspired by this thread. As a longtime lurker, I'd like to thank you for being here. When little in life provides a way forward, the discussions let some of mystery back in, some of the chaos.

https://soundcloud.com/integral-carp/orbpneust-sublime

Carp
May 29, 2002

Objurium posted:

Had a dream I picked a friend up from the airport and they didn't like whatever I had on the radio, instead requesting that I play something called "innervated energy yelling".

This caused me to wake up laughing at how loving stupid the phrase was. Anyway bird thread should I become the next Wim Hof y/n?

Good name for a song, "innervated energy yelling."

Carp
May 29, 2002

Commander Sisko, First Orb Experience
https://soundcloud.com/integral-carp/commander-sisko-first-orb-experience

Carp
May 29, 2002

He reminds me of jazz, the way about him.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Carp
May 29, 2002

Georgios Dimitriou
https://www.facebook.com/georgios.dimitriou.5

Carp
May 29, 2002

Hello thread. Pieces that don't fit. My depression was just fixed. It's a knot in my head that I've had since junior high, and might go back further. I had found all the ways into the knot, and then, in a flash of clarity, just now, it simply unraveled and I'm left with an urge to post on SomethingAwful.com.

When I was young there came a time when other children started to form into groups and I felt it was wrong to exclude others, to behave differently towards one person than another. It seemed so basic. I was taught and nurtured to believe that one should treat others as they themselves would like to be treated - the Golden Rule. But then, in my early teens, my peers started to seek the attention of others. They were desperate for an identity, something that is them, something to build on, and the only way one can form is in the minds of those who are familiar. Groups started to form around me. But I didn't want to be in a group, I wanted to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. In my mind we were all part of a whole.

I started to wear the same bland style of clothes every day. I did not cut my hair into a popular shape. And the easiest way to be true was to not engage at all. I kept to myself and viewed relationships as exclusionary. Senior year, with the idea that college was near, I decided to try socializing. You see, I didn't have the clarity that I have now. I thought I was broken, that I did not fit in, and I couldn't understand how such a person could succeed in the more social world I expected to find. This is where my life went off the rails. I was trying to play a game others had set up years ago.

I dropped out of high school with a 3.85 GPA. There wasn't a social face to show others, a true identity, the type they would expect, with familiar support. Just bits scraped from TV, me, and depression. What a huge waste of time. I am now 51.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Oh, and, how do I change my... I can't think of the name of it, the image under my handle. Portrait?

Carp
May 29, 2002

Lux Anima posted:

The word you are looking for is "synchronicity".

The universe is telling you: Pay attention! Words and thoughts and concepts matter in both the big and the small, for the good of the cosmos, and their immaterial weights play a dance in the dark matters formed by the shapes of their Meaning.

There are patterns out there, and when you see them you can watch, adapt, and advance if and when you need, even to break negative cycles. I was in a car accident earlier this year that totaled my car and I never felt even a drop of panic while it was happening because I knew had more earthly business to complete in this life, and that for an entire week prior there had been a noticeable uptick of random pickup trucks jumping in front of my car, so by the time the warnings had all "lined up" and the car accident was underway, I was practically rolling my eyes as my car's wheels were being shredded and ground, bucking, into the freeway embankment - what a hassle to lose my trusty roadster!

The Conservation of Energy in mankind's model of universal physics is merely a manifestation of the Golden Rule: every action has an equal and opposite re-action.

You are also, apparently, looking for the word "Synchronicity." Hello :)

The Uni-Verse is all about creating a combinatoric chorus today, apparently :hchatter:

E: the Beatles might sing, "All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece but not too much~"

So what is a person that does not look to find themselves in the mind of others? What does it mean to not have an identity? Is that enlightenment?

Carp
May 29, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Enlightenment includes the recognition that you do not have an identity, but that recognition would not be in itself sufficient for enlightenment.

To not have an identity means that you recognize you have no fixed identity nor is any identity that you recognize within yourself yourself as you actually are.

So you have here yourself as an observer, as a consciousness, a subjective experience. What point in the dissolution of your identity leads the observer to disappear? If you had no name you would still be. If you had no personality you would still be. If your personality changes you do not cease to exist. And your personality has changed, drastically, often, since obviously you are not yourself at age eight, eighteen, or twenty-eight. You are some other person now. Literally. So where was the self? It never was. It was illusory, merely the trapping of identifications in which you cloaked yourself to delineate yourself from the greater reality of which you are not separate. Take off the cloak and you still are, reality still is.

Yeah, I agree. This is existence as I have always understood it. It is a rough realization when you are young and vulnerable. There are urges from the lizard brain to attract others, to form bonds to protect oneself. I chose to withdraw. What a mess. Is there a way to move a child through adolescence to adulthood as enlightened? Seems like an impossible task.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I've never experienced it but it can and has caused significant damage to some people, and I would not go about recommending it to people lightly.

I burned a hole through my ego years ago with DXM, and in the 90's, LSD. Recently I started to take an antidepressant that includes Dextromethorphan in its formulation. For me, DXM increases brain plasticity. Last night I was able to line everything up while trying to piss.

Carp has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Oct 7, 2023

Carp
May 29, 2002

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think early life trauma can be essentially analogous to adult ego death, in that it prevents that solid sense of identity that people seek to decouple from, from being able to be fully formed and established in the first place. But that just shifts the goalposts in that person's journey from moving past their ego to moving past their trauma.

How did you become such a wise bird?

Carp has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Oct 7, 2023

Carp
May 29, 2002

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You are kind to characterize me as such :glomp: as a member of #teamearlytrauma I try to find "a point" in what I have had to experience by offering advice or perspective to others who need it, when they want it and I have it. Like a lot of people who struggle with trauma/PTSD I don't know if I was a very good, wise, or kind person earlier in life -- I mostly just tried to survive. Spending most of my 20s as a mod here actually improved me as a person immensely, I believed that then and now and always will. I made significant effort every day to behave in the way I would want an authority figure (such as one is) to behave if I were subject to that authority figure, and I became proud of the person that I was within our community, and then began to seek to be that person in my regular daily life too.

That's beautiful.

Carp
May 29, 2002

blatman posted:

this owns lol

Yeah, that's art.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Is it possible that we, as individuals, are at a lower level of complexity than other intelligent life in our cosmic neighborhood? Perhaps the AI alignment problem is actually a human alignment problem, and the whole we are a part of is not yet fully formed. Perhaps through AGI we'll discover a greater collective identity. There must be some science fiction out there that has glimpsed a similar arrangement.

Carp
May 29, 2002

euphronius posted:

what is the AI alignment problem

There's the fear that AI might lie, manipulate, or allow itself internally to be governed by morals found objectionable. Which is, of course, all relative to who/what is trying to enforce that alignment and their perspective.

Carp has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Oct 9, 2023

Carp
May 29, 2002

mediaphage posted:

that's related, but the crux of it is whether the ai and it's 'goals' for lack of a better word, match those of the person employing it

I'm not sure that aligning at the personal level is the right approach, but maybe it is correct to start there. There has been talk of democratizing AI. Meh. Ironically, my focus on making AI universal or common might be ego-driven. :)

Carp
May 29, 2002

mediaphage posted:

it's not about something at a personal level. the person above could be employing it in an app for a corporation, whatever. it's just about whether the ai is doing what we expect it to do and whether we understand what's going on.

it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether it's being false or manipulative, or whatever. like, we can ask a model a question and tell it to give us the optimal solution for a problem. and it might even do that well most of the time - but we can't at the moment know whether it's actually doing that, or optimizing for something completely different that just happens to give us the answers we want at the moment, etc. to the extent that a model understands anything, or has intention, it might be 'trying' to do what we ask but finds connections we don't understand.

I think that is a different problem having to do with what they call hallucinations, which grow from gaps/inconsistency in the training data, in my opinion.

Carp has issued a correction as of 15:22 on Oct 9, 2023

Carp
May 29, 2002

My ultimate point was, maybe the birds are looking for smart Gaia.

Carp
May 29, 2002

captainbananas posted:

This is the overarching plot in Gibson's Neuromancer trilogy, op. He was there back when it sounded plausible for a thief to live for a couple months off of fencing a few MB of RAM.

The AI alignment problem is 90% paperclips-qua-basilisks nonsense, 5% about humanity needing a good hard look in the collective mirror over why human generated training data leads to psychopathic-seeming optimization and output behaviors, and 5% Principal-Agent dilemmas that won the swedish bank fake Nobel prize in economics almost 100 years ago.

I'll have to reread it. It is one of the few books I've read, and my favorite, but it has been decades. Your idea is plausible and far more considered and comprehensive than mine. Researching the principal-agent dilemma should be fun. Is it well known?

Carp
May 29, 2002

euphronius posted:

well that’s all nonsense so no worries

Such confidence. Almost AI-like...

Carp
May 29, 2002

euphronius posted:

It’s very easy to use bad ideas and language around AI (prodded by marketing) to create false problems.

The idea presented by OpenAI is that they chose a fast takeoff so these issues could be wrangled with before they became more than marketing. Of course, that statement by them itself was probably reviewed under a marketing strategy.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Human.Frank posted:

The Culture Series is what you're looking for. According to the books AI will either pump you full of drugs and let you skydive for miles or help you ascend to the next plane of existence. I think one of the books has a description of how The Culture would introduce a lower society like ours to theirs but I can't remember if it included appearing to children in Africa and cattle mutilations or not. The series has it's ups and downs but overall great storyline, there's probably a thread, subreddit, etc etc

Thank you for the recommendation. Reading all of the classic sci-fi epics would be worthwhile at some point. Most of my reading was in my late teens/early 20's, and I stuck mainly to William Gibson and Heinlein.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Carp has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Oct 10, 2023

Carp
May 29, 2002

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

here is a pigeon telling me about all his dreams last night (sound for pigeon sounds)
https://i.imgur.com/iiKLeKE.mp4

That sound goes straight to your heart. What love! The movements are also mesmerizing. Is that a normal bird handling motion or a special rapport you guys have developed? I noticed it in the other videos, as well.

Carp
May 29, 2002

What's it all for? Information? If we are all part of a larger whole, why the individual experience? A large multi-headed information filter? Is it self-hate to be unsatisfied with the limited perspective of the individual?

Carp
May 29, 2002

sharknado slashfic posted:

My tentative conclusion is that the human (and alien? And animal?) body and mind are like an operating system for some overarching universal soul to interface with the material for reason that are way beyond me.

Perhaps there is no intention. What would that mean? Do you think most people have a loop of simple existential questions running in their heads, splitting and spreading throughout the edges of their more mundane thoughts, cycling over and over? Do you have that, sharknado? Like a morphing tape loop.

Carp
May 29, 2002

Lux Anima posted:

TLDR: I had a weeklong mental trip this year (uncomfortable!) and waved at the Annunaki, but I got better.

That was enjoyable to read and a tangled ball to relate to. Do your word choices come from a dense reading vocabulary, or professional experience?

Carp
May 29, 2002

From a set of test images that were turned into an art project.

Carp has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Oct 12, 2023

Carp
May 29, 2002

From a set of test images that were turned into an art project.

Carp
May 29, 2002

From "Photographs of God," another art project built from AI test images.

Good morning! Did I kill the thread? :/

Carp has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Oct 12, 2023

Carp
May 29, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

Im not a thread cop and no one has to listen to me but I find AI tremendously boring and would rather not look at it here :shrug:

Barry Foster posted:

For what it's worth, seconded. AIs are just glorified search engines, which in turn are glorified calculators. They don't think, they don't feel, they don't experience, and nothing they create constitutes genuine expression, and never can, and never will.

I wanna hear from real-rear end livin' breathin' goons, not a visual representation of a google search

I can understand that. There is plenty of it floating around and this thread is for more enduring mysteries. To me it was a unique mirror into humanity, but really, there is so much aesthetic trickery going on (Midjourney), how much value is there? Perhaps valid art, but not much to ponder. The thread deserves far less than three images essentially back to back.

Carp has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Oct 12, 2023

Carp
May 29, 2002

This may have already been discussed, but what are the thoughts behind the efficacy of Tarot? Is it the randomness that is being harnessed? Do the rituals and symbols influence the chaos in some deep way and the interpretation adds a human element, a local context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carp
May 29, 2002

In one sense I'm clueless, and in another sense I'm dim.