Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Playing as gran Colombia and a part of the British market. I built electrical power plants before England did, but the industries in England monopolized all the electricity produced. Seems weird that provinces in England can use electricity produced in South America, but that you can’t import/export or sell electricity on the market.

I assume it’s just because of how the market system handles electricity as a good but it’s still weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Are services and transportation effected by total market price? Uusually the cost on both is so low I've never bothered to check.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I think you could just build the art academy to level 2, subsidize it to get the journal entry and reward, then stop subsidizing it and let those people transition to different jobs

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

You’d have to add some foraging mechanic as well, since even up thru the civil war and later armies were still doing that. Looting as well, which is featured in other paradox games

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

What are tips for a good early game? I've started my second game and this time instead of being distracted by learning the game, I'm trying to get off to a proper running start, and... it's really hard, and I don't know if I'm doing a good job or not.

Also, how do you tell if you're at an okay level of deficit spending or have gone too far? Just eyeball how quickly the debt ceiling is approaching?

you can mouse over the income part at the top, and towards the bottom it should tell you what the weekly income is if you don't have any construction going. make sure you keep that positive, especially if you're a small / unrecognized country. as long as its positive, you can always pause all construction and let the deficit recover a bit

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I enjoy building hydroelectric power plants in the Sahara desert

The capitalists have built a level 132 art academy in the Niger River delta, with 32 more on the way. Max employment is like 150k and it currently employs 23k.

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 20, 2023

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

I enjoy building hydroelectric power plants in the Sahara desert

The capitalists have built a level 132 art academy in the Niger River delta, with 32 more on the way. Max employment is like 150k and it currently employs 23k.

the art academy has grown to around level 250, still only employs about 30k people

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Speaking of which, why is Michigan a releasable country from the USA? It’s like New England, Texas, a few Native American countries, New Africa/the south, and Michigan. Seems a weird choice

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

quote:

because I was getting popups that my admirals had downed 1100 or so Russian convoys pretty goddamn frequently.
Yea, if the convoy numbers were accurate you could easily build a land bridge between England and continental Europe with the number of sunken ships in the English channel.

I also frequently see political parties getting more votes than there are people in your country. In several of my games, post 1900 the trade unions alone would get 1 billion or so votes in a population of 250 million. Classic paradox, the numbers have no relationship to reality.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Star posted:

The votes are related to the distribution of politely power. From the wiki

Guess it’s easier to implement and balance this way, even though it looks silly.

Yea, like i said, no relationship to reality. Didn't know that's how they calculated it though.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

IME, the best way to invade England is to start a war with them, get them to commit their troops to oversee provinces, wait a few months after the war starts for all the troops to be deployed, then naval invade 3 armies or so into the home countries. 3 100 stack armies from 100 stack fleets should be enough (with some convoy raiding in the channel to catch fleets patrolling the coast) should be enough to defeat whatever garrison troops are there, and then your army can probably seize a large chunk before the armies make it back to the British isle

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

The colonial companies look interesting but the AI sucks at the economy aspect so it seems like it would just make colonies less useful.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Get the autonomy in your subjects low enough and they’ll join your wars. Then you can deploy to their borders. Violate Sovereignty might work too? Never tried that on a subject, fair odds they’ll just capitulate.

Downside is of course they’ll send their dogshit troops to junk up your fronts

Yea I’ve had wars take 4x as long as necessary bc for every battle my troops win decisively to take 25% occupation, useless vassal armies lose 3 battles and thus I can never gain any ground

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Nah I'm coming in to take their poo poo. They have only 6 battalions more than I do but about 25 conscripts sitting in reserve, I have 50. I have 40 offense/43 defense to their 25/33. I got 8m pops to their 5.6m. Legit don't understand how attrition is doing this much damage to my poo poo; like I said, that numerical advantage they have should be melting when I literally have a 4:1 k/d ratio against them.

That seems odd. I beat them with par level troops with a numerical advantage. Having numerical advantage is key in the wars so maybe trying building more battalions then them and then disbanding them after the war if you can’t support it

Wars in South America are pretty fucky tho and yea watching Russia ship a dozen of 4 battalion armies half way around the globe to fight in the Andes is annoying

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Having superior troops and a smaller army that doesn’t attrit as much makes sense from a logical standpoint and a game design standpoint. Not disagreeing with you on that. As the game currently works, having more troops lets you steamroll thru the enemy quicker. I guess there is a historical parallel there - the firstest with the mostest or however that goes

It’s entirely possible to conquer an enemy country without completely destroying their army and then whatever troops they have remaining just magically exists somewhere while the war score ticks down. There’s no army surrendering or POW concept in the game (and I don’t know how they’d manage that feature).

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 2, 2023

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

a lot of the journal entries have progress bars that don't really define how to increase/decrease them as well

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I never create them and I only have them if I take them off the AI. The most useful feature they offer is not have to war goals for a half dozen different states

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

usually you run a lot of them at the start when you have more authority; as you liberalize you tend to get less authority, but you make more in tax revenue, so you drop the consumption taxes as necessary

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Bankroll is very broken in offer support. you can get 20% of a major power's income for 10 years, it starts as soon as the war start, and i don't think it matters if you win the war.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

also if your building construction based on your economy, make sure you factor in how much the private queue is using. you going from little negative to big negative seems like the private construction finished and the leftover construction shifted back to government building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Pops in the capital should have more sway? especially before you invent telephones