Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah I would personally try and avoid confronting the UK at gane start. You can beat them by virtue of the ai being braindead and then having people scattered all over the globe. But the opportunity cost is usually too high when you could be beating up uncivs or secondaries for equal or greater rewards.

Vicky is however the one game where they're a good ally. Getting them as am ally and using them to batter your enemies is fantastic
I don't know about that: the AI is often very bad about transporting troops to relevant places in a timely manner(it's how you win the Oriental Crisis as Egypt: just smother small Euro stacks as soon as they get dumped off), so I hope you're not counting on them doing anything vital.

Also, yeah...I want to see John Brown's Appalachian Republic of Freedmen raiding plantations throughout the South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok, legit question this time: while the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom be playable?
I think a better question is: will the Taiping stand a chance, or will China just trivially crush them in a few months?
The Taiping Tianguo is definitely an interesting alt-history proposition: could a more militant China better protect itself, or would it have simply led to China getting carved up even harder? it's probably the latter
Of course, there's a lot of weirdness with the Taiping...

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Tomn posted:

Among other things, fear of another colonial power (say, Russia) trying to take it over.
I am by no means an expert, but everything I've read has borne this out: the British were absolutely paranoid that the Russians or even the French would try to steal their poo poo given half a chance. The nightmare disaster scenario was millions of Russians pouring down out of Central Asia (logistics be damned!) and overrunning India. That, and the fact that the local populaces tended to hate being ruled by the British and rebelled a lot for obvious reasons the British would never allow themselves to understand.

Also, the British were absolutely rapacious and had ridiculously grandiose dreams like linking India up to the Med via continuous, British-controlled rail lines.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, there were a ton of contradictory territorial promises: for example, this is why Italy lost its poo poo, because Serbia/Yugoslavia got territories the Entente powers had promised to it when they enticed Italy to their side.

Sykes-Picot is another one: the British foreign service felt Sykes had been suckered(because he actually gave France what it wanted: Syria, Lebanon, and Palestine). They then planned on just reneging on it, and did in fact wind up keeping Palestine, but they had promised Prince Faisal he would be King of an Arabian kingdom centered on Syria, and the French flipped their poo poo when the Syrian parliament crowned him as Sultan, because they saw him as a British puppet. They chased Faisal away, but the British made him King of Iraq, black-bagging a popular local candidate and shipping him to Malta in the process. No one in Iraq really cared for Faisal. His lazy brother squatted in the Transjordan until the British gave him a kingdom, essentially.
Also, the foreign service was super pro-Zionist, but the army was hugely anti-Semitic and constantly tried to stoke anti-Jewish sentiment in Palestine.
The whole fiasco created a lot of distrust within the Anglo-French alliance.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

The Chad Jihad posted:

harvested from the recovered waffleimages, I hope victoria 3 still allows for this

But...what about Secret Peru?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

karmicknight posted:

Please don't convince the Russian Empire to not research basic medicine and chemistry. :v:
Yeah, I always beeline Medicine, because those disease events suck. Worse, you get a new pop-up every time it spreads, so it's also annoying, which makes it so much worse.
It's one of the most annoying parts of playing an unciv.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
That crazy bastard's doing it, he's abstracting the warfare! It's already beautiful and perfect and I love it.

Baronjutter posted:

I love this idea, will be such an interesting departure to not having to intensely micro-manage your exact troop movements in real time across the globe. I noticed though in previous dev diaries we got screen shots and examples, with this one we only got the vague and general ideology of the design. Would loved to have seen what these fronts and things actually look like and how they work.
This is a lot for the playerbase to digest, it's probably for the best. Or maybe it's still really WIP?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I pretty amped for it. In Victoria III, you never have to play hide-and-seek with some AI stack or keep track of dozens of stacks on multiple fronts, you just keep track of making sure you have the money and goods to supply your troops and who your generals are and hope you're not keeping some idiot moron around for political expediency when the poo poo hits the fan.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Beefeater1980 posted:

I feel awful for Wiz and the team and have no interest in playing the leaked version. Also from a crisis management perspective I thought that Wiz’s formal reply on behalf of paradox was really good.
Indeed. The forums are full of topics bitching about this or that, and it’s like, yeah: if you eat raw cookie dough, it’s not going to taste like a cookie, dumb asses.
The rest of the topics are what you would expect, but also a halfway decent one about the fact the game doesn’t seem to represent (yet, at least) the Carlists in Spain( I say “halfway” because a few posters in there are way too into the idea of reconquering Spain’s former colonies as an absolutist monarch)

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Rynoto posted:

I'd personally enjoy a scenario based on riling up the anti-slavery faction so much that John Brown's raid succeeds with far more support, starting the civil war by having a civil war inside the south going at the same time.
His plan was basically to copy what rebels did in the Carribean: ensconce themselves in the mountainous wilderness and launch periodic and unpredictable raids on plantations to free slaves, with an aim to spread terror and destabilize the planter aristocracy. He even kidnapped a relative of George Washington's who had George's old ceremonial sword, which Brown bestowed upon a black compatriot.
Dude was hella ambitious, just a shame he sort of froze and got himself trapped.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

ilitarist posted:

You need a very good reason not to start generate CB on Sokoto on day 1.

I think Victoria 2 did a good job making invading European countries a risky endeavour that is often not worth it (though it lacks any kind of devastation mechanic, but I think Victoria 3 adds something like that) but like other games it's afraid to make an invasion across the ocean as hard as it should be.
Yeah, there’s basically no reason *not* to go HAM on the weaker uncivs from Day 1. The only limitation is basically getting enough clippers, but that shouldn’t take too long even if you’re bottom-of-the-barrel prestige-wise.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, he doesn't call it communism per say, but he does call it a command economy and it was used to redistribute food, shelter, and general resources amongst the population.
Yeah, basically the state seems to have run most things in certain phases of Mesopotamia's history. In other eras, you basically saw an economy dominated by private interests that bears a passing resemblence to modern capitalism. Also the Assyrians had an ethos similar to that of Rome, and also everyone hated them so much they razed Nineveh, which was the only Sumerian (technically Akkadian) city to be completely destroyed by Sumerians. Ironically, it was destroyed by an alliance of the Babylonians and the Medes: the latter of which had emerged as a power after the Assyrians sacked the poo poo out of Elam for constantly stirring up trouble with Babylon.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Tuna-Fish posted:

You are clearly missing some Engels. The ideal ratio between Friedrichs Engels and Karls Marx is 1:1. If you have too many Marx, they will either just starve to death due to lack of patronage, or else get stuck writing weird racist diatribes when they have no Engels to tell them off from pseudoscientific racist theories, so you don't want any more Marx than you have Engels. On the other hand, Engels without a Marx will mostly output bad poetry, so ideally you want the ratio to be 1:1.
Don't forget the Jenny Marxes, because otherwise your Engelss will be forced to spend much of their time translating the Marxes' hideous chicken scratch into something legible.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Lady Radia posted:

i think the people who enjoy EU4 combat are wrong and so think vicky 3's combat will be fine. hoi4's front system is super broken and bad lol which is why the premier mods all turn off the warfare aspect, so hopefully that is only used as an example of what to avoid
My favorite aspect of EU IV warfare, aside from fort fuckery and the AIs eagerness to clown-car the player even if the actual war objective is halfway across Europe, is how it’s almost existentially terrified of giving battle on even slightly unequal terms. You almost have no choice *but* to bait or exploit it. It would usually rather faff about sieging poo poo in Siberia at 0.01 warscore per province, eating max attrition the entire time (to the extent attrition matters for the AU) than try to prevent you from steamrolling the war goal and/or the AI capitals, inevitably causing them to lose the war, but in a way that feels annoying and pathetic rather than climatic.

Why yes, I’m glad that Victoria 3 makes it so I don’t have to deal with that poo poo ever. Hell, it might even make the Brits worth allying!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like one aspect of that's being ignored is the timing. The way to make the Confederacy stronger relative to the US isn't to expand it far beyond any historical reason, it's having the war kick off when the south is relatively more powerful early on. I suppose you could also have the North be less committed to the territorial integrity of the US, though I am not sure how realistic that is.
If you had an appropriately involved war exhaustion mechanic, then it would be plausible for the North to just kind of give up if the war goes on for a few years, they haven't made much headway and/or have lost Washington D.C., and they've suffered a lot of casualties.

Beyond that, the strength of the CSA depends on questions such as the westward expansion of slavery, whether the USA annexes additional Mexican territory and/or gets into military adventures in the Caribbean vs. possible expansion in the north, and the status of bubble states like Missouri, Kentucky, and Maryland. Though in the lattermost case it's impossible to imagine any Union administration not putting Maryland under martial law, because not doing so would basically require them to abandon Washington D.C.
It would pretty much always be an underdog though.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

None of Paradox's old games were actually grognardy, they were just opaque and complicated. If you figure out how Vicky 1 and Vicky 2 truly work and try to optimize your strats you find yourself doing the same dumb stuff every playthrough. The world is simply not prepared for minor countries conquering Johore in 1836.

The potential for Vicky 3 is in player-driven narratives, and in insane full conversion mods
I would always try and conquer Haiti as the USCA. If you did it fast enough, nobody would sphere it. Free clay, free tobacco, convenient ports closer to Africa. Johor would probably be better (also if you play Johor your pops literally starve because all your provinces make precious metals and you're unciv so your pops can't even get/buy food on the market most of the time. Very well-made system).

I should mention I always played with mods that actually populated Africa.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My understanding of poor laws in the UK in this period is that they were a reform to the already existing poor laws, which were designed to do exactly what you mention here. Of course the capitalists would be happy about such a reform, since it's all upsides from their perspective. I am not sure capitalists in a country which did not already have poor laws to reform in such a way would be as enthusiastic.
Yeah, basically, by institutionalizing the poor and giving them barely enough scraps to stay alive, you're removing pressure from capitalists to pay anything like a living wage.

I'm in a class on the History of Public Social Policy right now (though it's mostly US-focused, it drew its inspiration from English Poor Laws for obvious reasons). Poor houses were awful, squalid places and in the US they would take their children, because they literally thought poverty was sort of genetic! Social Darwinism! :hitler:

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

CapnAndy posted:

What happened here
Well, whatever the cause, Mexico is thanking it’s lucky stars.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, I'm definitely still wrapping my head around how best to deal with radicals.

My last run with Brazil made me low-key hate the Rural Folk. They wound up getting a loving Autocrat leader, starting a very radical movement for Protectionism, and supported returning to Wealth Voting!
loving temporarily embarrassed landowners!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Anyone got Brazil advice? Their journal entries seem really intricate, especially the loving River of Coffee entry. How in hell do you even begin with that? I can't even manage to stay the lead producer of coffee!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
What if the USA was even more evil and drunk than OTL?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Quixzlizx posted:

This America was smart enough not to take Texas.
Yes, but they kept Florida for some reason.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Poil posted:

But they cost so much they make my economy line go down down down. And it takes decades to build up the buildings to produce the construction goods for just one. And that's time where every single other good just gets more and more expensive.
At the start, maybe, but you’re playing the game for 100 years of game time. As you build up and tech advances (Atmospheric Engines is key early tech for boosting mining production, especially important for iron) and your economy grows, you’ll be able to afford those construction centers and more.

…and you’ll need more, especially if you have a lot of pops who need jobs.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
If you’re in South America, you’re basically going to have a ton of permanently-angry indigenous pops (big issue as Bolivia/Peru-Bolivia) who can’t get qualifications or a decent SoL because they’re discriminated against.

Then you go straight from that to having more migrants than you can create jobs for!

It’s perfectly fiiiiiine. But all in all, not very hard.

Brazil has these issues less, but is instead cursed with Pedro Points(TM) and a bunch of fiddly JEs.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Egpyt and the Ottomans seemingly always commit atrocities with their borders.

Also Turkey has states with really weird shapes that become apparent if Egypt or another power snags even one.