Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Sick

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I joined SA to post about Vicky 2. After all that time of being relegated to the general paradox thread it feels good to finally be posting in a dedicated Vicky thread

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
The PDXCon segment where Wiz, Podcat, and Groogy discussed the history of Vicky is up on youtube now. Among other things they talked about how the economy code became incomprehensible (many optimization passes), the money creation hack they had to put in because the supposedly closed-loop economy was leaking money, and the Vicky 2 Christmas patch. Not much if any info about Vicky 3 iirc but it's a good watch if you're interested in the dev process or you want to hear some code horror stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cyhfG6zeUQ

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Secret alliances seem fairly antithetical to the mechanic of diplomatic plays, where both sides line up all their allies and wargoals up front and try to get the other side to back down. Making yourself look weaker then you actually are by keeping an alliance secret wouldn't be advantageous unless you wanted to get jumped by all your neighbors who think you're weak.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Randarkman posted:

Just going to throw out here that when people talk about "secret" diplomacy and alliances, it's not the existence of the alliances that are secret, it's the exact terms of those alliances.

So basically the same as regular alliances with AI countries

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

idhrendur posted:

hjkl or nothin'

Placing both hands on my keyboard to play Victoria 3

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Takanago posted:

the true test imo is if the victoria 3 mods will be able to compete with the poo poo we've seen from hoi4 mods

Once Anbennar V3 is out there won't be any reason to play any other game again

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
https://mobile.twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1443213984341970944

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
All games are for children except Victoria 3

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

KaiserJohan posted:

pdx forums poster posted:

If it was similar to the old system but doing bad actions against minors and demanding smaller states gave less infamy it's fine.

I hope it's not the same infamy generation for a state in russia that has 5 million people to a state that has 400k. Value should be important

Of course, a flat penalty is archaic :)

Pretty much expected but still a relief. Infamy in Vicky 2 was such an annoying, arbitrary mess, but this sounds much better.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
New dev diary, on UI. Nothing earth-shattering but the UI is looking pretty nice. They've clearly made progress since the early DDs.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The US straight up annexed half of Mexico (by area) which I assume is recognized and nobody did anything.

Aiui this is covered by strategic interests. If none of the great powers have an interest in the region you won't gain (much?) infamy with them. The "by area" caveat also matters now because the amount of infamy you get depends on population and industry.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

PDJR_Alastorn posted:

quote:

In the Twitter Teaser Sulfur had a higher price in the US market, but still exported into the Texan Market. How does the Trade Center make a profit if the good its buying has a lower price at the goods destination then its source? Wouldn't the trade center lose money from the goods it's trading? and if so why would the traders continue trading?

So, didn't see the teaser until now and yes looking at those numbers it seems like that would be a loss/loss trade (assuming that its not a bug that the 53 and 59 are reversed and thats where the profit is in the marginal revenue - Entirely feasible the game is under development after all and bugs are common). Took me awhile to answer this one only because I had to go back and run some marginal revenue calculations to assume I wasn't going crazy because its late here and I am tired.

But lets assume that the trade is unprofitable, well that means there isn't profit to go to the trade centers, which means that they are conducting this trade at a loss. Now this loss may wash out in the many other profitable trades the trade center is conducting. Regardless to some degree this means that less profit is at the trade center, which means salaries are lower because profits are lower - if this was the only trade route well salaries would dry up - pops would look elsewhere for jobs and as a result of not being able to staff your trade center the trade route would not deliver goods.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Also popup spam reduction, which is needed for other PDX games like Stellaris and EU4.

Not to mention Vicky 2 which was maybe the worst offender. The first tractor in Pennsylvania? Neat. First tractor in California? Okay, sure. First tractor in Michigan? Oh gently caress there's almost 50 more of these

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I wonder if there'll be a mechanic for revolutionary waves too, or at least some content like journal entries for an 1848-style event

Edit: it does seem like there are some factors that could cause a wave of revolutions even without a specific mechanic, like a continental economic crisis causing widespread radicalization

Magissima fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 7, 2022

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

jsoh posted:

the thing were a revolution always ends up with one country is kind of rear end, like the american civil war was not going to end with the confederacy annexing the union ever right?

That's why the ACW is apparently special-cased. Is there another example of a political/non-separatist civil war that could have ended with two viable states in the time period?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Flappy Bert posted:

The Chinese warlord era?

Yeah, true. China, as always, is hard to represent well.

jsoh posted:

the russian one? ended with like six more states than it started

In game terms those would probably be successful separatist revolts that happened at the same time as the "main" political civil war. There was still only one Russian state at the end.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

ThaumPenguin posted:

Correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't bourgeois disenfranchisement a big contributing element of one of the early 19th century revolutions in France? Like you had capitalists who were wealthier than the vast majority of the nobility, who nevertheless had very little say in the political process due to their lack of titles and/or land?

I'm fairly sure this was the revolution of 1830, which does put it outside of the scope of the game, but the lack of an elitist voting system that explicitly excludes the capitalists still seems somewhat noteworthy to me.

The less democratic your voting system is the bigger flat bonus to government legitimacy you get, which gives you more flexibility in choosing interest groups to put in government and effectively makes elections matter less. So if you have wealth voting it's probably pretty easy to keep the landowners permanently in power at the expense of the bourgeoisie even if they do well in elections. That's one abstraction that kind of fits, the other is just not having elections at all and keeping the landowners in power. I mean when your electorate is exclusively nobility I have to think votes generally hinge more on personal relationships than Victoria 3's mass politics-derived election mechanics like political parties and campaigning. I can't speak to how well that represents France's politics pre-1830 but from a game design perspective the extra voting law doesn't seem necessary

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Capfalcon posted:

What is the Radical Party? Radical what?

Radical liberals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_radicalism

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Tuna-Fish posted:

You are clearly missing some Engels. The ideal ratio between Friedrichs Engels and Karls Marx is 1:1. If you have too many Marx, they will either just starve to death due to lack of patronage, or else get stuck writing weird racist diatribes when they have no Engels to tell them off from pseudoscientific racist theories, so you don't want any more Marx than you have Engels. On the other hand, Engels without a Marx will mostly output bad poetry, so ideally you want the ratio to be 1:1.

This is what's known as the Marx-Engels dialectic

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

yeti friend posted:

I hope we can get them in multiplayer too

PDJR_Alastorn posted:

Sadly no, achievement checks are not run in multiplayer. I'm pretty sure we've got some technical reasons as to why but if I just say "to reduce OOS chance" that generic statement is 90% likely to be correct.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I think that the new war system is conceptually a happy medium between moving mans on the map and "press button to attack", but the implementation looks a bit janky (so, a Paradox game). The way that fronts often split seems to force you to micromanage your armies' front assignments more often than you'd want to, and we've seen a good deal of fronts with zero troops on either side and questionable, logistic-defying front assignments from the AI in what they've previewed so far. I'm sure it will improve by release and afterwards but more than that I'm just extremely excited to play Victoria 3 and even if the combat is as bad as it could possibly be I don't think it will have a big impact on my enjoyment.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Holy poo poo

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If I could do that as a small side project, there's no reason at all Paradox couldn't do it properly.

Lol, even aside from the fundamental unfairness of making this assumption without knowing what constraints the team is working with and how they prioritize accuracy vs historical outcomes vs simulationism (hint: not highly) vs gameplay vs making Sweden overpowered, have you seen the scope of the systems changes EU4 has been getting for the past couple of years? They're mostly small to medium standalone features or cautious tweaks that still manage gently caress up balance across the game most of the time. I think you're slightly underestimating how much work would go into a comprehensive rework of the entire world's development levels.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
Victoria 3 is built on top of an economic and demographic simulation that impacts all aspects of gameplay, EU4 is a wargame (in the board game sense) with a bunch of simulation-ish mechanics bolted on top. Both have war and simulation but the emphasis is totally different.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

OPAONI posted:

I wonder how fortifications in a province will be represented? By the end of the war Washington DC was a sprawling fortress complex and it was never seriously threatened by the traitor forces at all.

This came up in the AMA and as is so often the case with "I wonder how/if X will be represented" questions, the answer is "not at all".

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Popoto posted:

In two days we'll have just a week left.

According to someone on reddit that's when we'll start getting previews from outside of Paradox too.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlShF6op21o

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNGpXQIyWms

e: this guy's annoying

Magissima fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 22, 2022

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

King Vladimir Ilyich?! :eyepop:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Canada has like 50 times the oil it had, it's disgusting

That's a good thing atm, until the AI is better at developing raw resources they should absolutely not lower the supply of oil anywhere

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Green Wing posted:

Even vic2 had events around 1848!

Your overall point definitely stands, but tbf V3 does as well, the springtime of nations is one of the bigger journal entries in the game currently. But it can happen significantly later than 1848 and isn't totally guaranteed to happen at all, the trigger is:
code:
	NOT = { has_global_variable = peoples_springtime_happening }
	NOT = { has_global_variable = peoples_springtime_happened }
	country_is_in_europe = yes
	has_technology_researched = egalitarianism
	any_interest_group = {
		is_insurrectionary = yes
		leader = { has_ideology = ideology_radical }
	}

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

DrSunshine posted:

I think if they'd just enclose the two interest group conditions in an OR = { } we'd have a good chance of seeing that event chain pop off a lot more often.

Well yeah, if you did that it would go off in 1836 every single game, so you'd also want to gate it by year and at that point you might as well hardcode it to happen in 1848. I think it's pretty much fine as is, maybe you could make the condition less restrictive after a certain year and have it be a bit more frequent, but imo it's actually good that it doesn't go off every game, as one of the issues with big impactful event chains is that they get repetitive. I've only played two games and I'm already bored of the ripper

Edit: maybe something like "IG is insurrectionary and one of { radical leader, republican leader, IG is intelligentsia, law at issue is related to suffrage or govt structure }" would be a good balance

Magissima fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 3, 2022

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Jazerus posted:

i would be fine with it hardcoded at 1848, with a few sanity checks for countries that have suddenly wildly deviated from history (i.e. the player). at the very least there needs to be a big early-mid game cross-nation upheaval that hits some countries very hard and jumpstarts italian/german unification if nobody has already researched nationalism to turn on that panel. austria in particular needs a big branching event chain for 1848 and its consequences to even face anything like a historical set of challenges

The springtime of nations JE doesn't currently do any of that though (edit: except for the cross-national upheaval part). More and more-detailed events and JEs would help and I'm sure we'll get them over time. If you do want it to be guaranteed you can go to game/events/peoples_springtime.txt line 25, and replace:
code:
		any_interest_group = {
			is_insurrectionary = yes
		}
with:
code:
		year >= 1848
		any_interest_group = {
		}
You have to keep the radical IG leader condition because the rest of the event assumes one is present, but it's basically guaranteed that some European state will have one and kick off the JE for everyone

Magissima fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 3, 2022

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

wiz give ethiopia more mining opportunities or i riot

Conquering Yemen and Hejaz is mandatory as Ethiopia

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i dont think its possible without enormous luck to trigger the restoration before the historical date, but you can get close. basically you just have to spend the first 1/3 of the game dragging japan out of medieval isolation

Tbf the historical restoration only came after a civil war so doing it peacefully should take longer

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve read a big chunk of this thread and watched way too many hours of YouTube about this game and I have to ask this,

Does the game actually deserve the mixed rating it’s getting on steam? I realize the game does have its issues but overall it seems (to me at least) a pretty solid game.

I’m still on the fence about buying it but it’s definitely on my short list.

Not at all, it's a victim of the dumbass culture war mentality where fans take decisions they disagree with as personal affronts that take away their ability to feel human. It has problems but if you like the idea of Vicky 3 and aren't attached to V2 combat it's worth getting, though ofc it's a Paradox game so waiting for one more patch can never hurt

Magissima fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 5, 2022

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
The consumption tax menu should really show the price impact on the good, or at least its current price. Haven't seen a mod for that yet

Edit: once you add a tax you can click the trade good icon that appears to see its price. That works okay but logically you'd want to see before you add the tax

Magissima fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 10, 2022

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-66-patch-1-1-part-2.1557863/

That's a lot more oil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat

eXXon posted:

As Russia, I supported a Polish Secession movement in Prussia. Everything's going great, winning battles, etc. Then the second war support on the Prussian side drops below 0% (while over 40% on the Polish side), they suddenly force a peace deal and crush the secession?! The gently caress?

I saw this happen once, it was because the uprising ran out of money. If you anticipate it you can pay off their debt and bankroll them.